• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

Man... I'm still holding out hope that the DLC has some remixed classic tunes. Honestly DLC would be the best place for that. They seem to want to keep things more original since it's kind of a reboot or whatever but the DLC would be non-intrusive to the core game. I think it'd be a perfect way to give old school fans some remixed music without it getting in the way of Araujo's original compositions.

.la1n

brandonh83 said:
Is the only issue the size? I can crop it for you if you like. I'm cropping an avatar right now anyway.

make it so, I will be eternally grateful

edit: beaten, THANKS!

Decado

Are any of the special moves/power useful? I'm a few chapters in but got to say that the moves I've bought don't seem very good and none of the others look better. :\

Decado said:
Are any of the special moves/power useful? I'm a few chapters in but got to say that the moves I've bought don't seem very good and none of the others look better. :\
Yeah, there are plenty of useful moves. You just have to know when to use them. Like never use slow or long animating moves against quick enemies. Guillotine is great for guys who use ground pound attacks.

Henchmen21 said:
Yeah, there are plenty of useful moves. You just have to know when to use them. Like never use slow or long animating moves against quick enemies. Guillotine is great for guys who use ground pound attacks.

Yeah one thing I greatly appreciated about the combat system was that I actually found most skills useful in some ways.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Grisby said:
You know, I always read your posts before I joined GAF Dark, and mostly I agree with you on frame-rate issues. They bother me, but since I don't have a gaming PC I've learned to live with them.

I can see where your coming from on this game, but I didn't find it to be such a huge problem everyone was talking about. It never hindered gameplay for me or the combat. And the game looks stunning, on both consoles no less. By the way I did feel like the framerate got better during the second half of the game. It varies pretty wildly.

Trust me though, I wouldn't mind seeing a PC version, if only to see Octagons scenery pics he could come up with in the Multi art form thread.
You know, what really compounds the issue for me is the animation. While I think the majority of the animation is excellent, I really dislike Gabriel's running and jumping animations. It feels as if he is disconnected from the environment completely and lacks weight. When combined with a choppy framerate, it just doesn't FEEL good to run around.

I'm going to try to get back to this, though. There's a lot to like.

Scarecrow

alright, I'm stuck. I'm in the beginning of the clockwork tower in ch. 8. There's a grapple point that's being blocked by two electric barriers. The first is continuous while the second turns off and on. I figure I need to reverse repel up the wall, but I can't seem to get past the first electric wall. what am I supposed to do?

Salz01

Tokubetsu said:
81Lhq.jpg

I just made one for you ='(

The Artwork for this game is insane. I hope for the sequel they tighten everything up and go more balls to the wall with it. I want to play a game that looks and feels like this.

WTFing

Banned
This game a fuuu game, I really like it. Something you better know, never listen to the GAF wannabe experts, just play the game. They are useless, they played every game but never enjoyed a single game. I personally don't have any consideration about multiplatform games, but I like this Castlevania.
See you when I reach the last level. I hope you'll enjoy this multiplatform game as I am.

jred2k

The trials have been pretty fun to do so far, but I have a bad feeling chapter 6 is gonna make me rip my hair out. The mandagoras are to unpredictable to really work out a strategy and the vampire war game is basically luck.

Scarecrow said:
alright, I'm stuck. I'm in the beginning of the clockwork tower in ch. 8. There's a grapple point that's being blocked by two electric barriers. The first is continuous while the second turns off and on. I figure I need to reverse repel up the wall, but I can't seem to get past the first electric wall. what am I supposed to do?
Did you forget you can push off walls?

sphinx

the piano man
man... I just spent like 3 hours to defeat 13 of those
puppets (Laura's dolls)
on Paladin, that was the hardest trial ever but I am proud. The guide I am reading said it was nearly impossible.

has anyone tried this?

Tokubetsu

sphinx said:
man... I just spent like 3 hours to defeat 13 of those
puppets (Laura's dolls)
on Paladin, that was the hardest trial ever but I am proud. The guide I am reading said it was nearly impossible.

has anyone tried this?

Yes, it's not that hard if you focus on crowd control combos and dodge..a LOT. It's just extremely boring/time consuming.

john tv

Scarecrow said:
Perfect example of the sporadic bad game design that pops up throughout. There's a bit on stage 11 (I think?) that'll make you want to fly to Spain and light shit up, it's so frustrating. Definitely want to see a sequel but they desperately need better balancing and direction. Also need to know when to say when (game is way too long).

Excited for the DLC regardless, but...yeah. :)

Scarecrow said:
I figure I need to reverse repel up the wall, but I can't seem to get past the first electric wall.

If you do that twice Gabriel will jump farther the second time.

No, the game does not tell you this.

Violater

Henchmen21 said:
Still no word on DLC? I'd like to know due to pricing and space limitations.

Every damn time this thread is bumped I think the same thing, though at this point would that be a new thread?

So I just beat the game.

Just saw the ending.

Fuck me what an amazing ending. I imagine we'll be given an explanation in the DLC to come, or at least I hope so...

Makes me wonder what the next full game in the series would be like given the narrative progression we've seen.

Again, amazing.

KAOz

Short bus special
Bought this game last week, and I've been enjoying it. The controls are kind of, floaty at times, and I can't count the number of times that I've accidently made a megapunch while just trying to block.

I thought the trials would be much harder though, but most of them are really a breeze and requires patience. A good game, worth to check out.

About the story though.
It KIND OF felt like they took the DOOM: Repercussions of Evil and made it into a full-blown story. Basically; "No! I must kill the vampires!" he shouted. Zobek said "No, Gabriel. You ARE the vampire!" and then Gabriel was Dracula.
Just a very super brief recap there. But yeah, I enjoyed the story quite a bit, and most of the voicework was topnotch.

Will play through on Paladin for the last trophy now.

Vorg

Banned
Hmm guys honestly thought this would be much better. I'm in chapter 2 right now and so far it's been one fetch quest after another with a huge number of monster fights in between. Platforming is a bit iffy and while the combat isn't bad, there's way too much of it and I'm constantly finding myself surrounded by enemies with an almost empty life bar. I'm supposed to find
some purple crystals now and I'm lost. To make things worse, the chick with the golem won't shut up about it. Only 3 crystals left, she says. I know, woman, and I can't seem to be able to find them.
I guess this sounds like a rant and I'm sorry for that, but I really want to like this game and it's making it kinda hard hard to. I guess I'm a noob, I don't know. Any tips? Does it get better later on?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
For the 56485214874th time...

The first 2-3 chapters are ass. Really. Not much fun. Give it some loving and it will love you back, trust me.

Vorg

Banned
Relix said:
For the 56485214874th time...

The first 2-3 chapters are ass. Really. Not much fun. Give it some loving and it will love you back, trust me.

Thanks I'll keep on playing to get to the good parts then. But jeez, not a great first impression, to say the least.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
acidspunk said:
Thanks I'll keep on playing to get to the good parts then. But jeez, not a great first impression, to say the least.

Yeah happens to maybe 70% of the people. Give the game a chance. It truly has fantastic moments, so don't give up on it. If by Chapter 5 you are not feeling it then you have a problem with the game (or vice-versa, however you feel).

Chapter 2 is just too long for its own good.

Foffy

Banned
acidspunk said:

Consider the first few chapters to be in the works before Konami said "hey, this can be a Castlevania game!" because everything from the Lycanthrope boss to the Vampire Castle is perfect Castlevania.

NoRéN

I reached disc 2. So far I am having a great time with this game. I didn't think the first chapters were bad.

Oh, and why didn't anyone warn me about the first Dark Lord fight!?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
The Praiseworthy said:
So weird I Liked game since chapter 1 and loved chapter 2 and 3 :\

Oh don't get me wrong, I loved the whole game, but those initial chapters pale in comparison to others =P

Jarlaxle said:

It does have a bit too many filler segments but hey... I got my $60 worth out of it! Never got bored of them!

Owzers

I just sold my copy before i finished it, i'm on the third from last chapter...

I'm terrible at block countering in this game, i can never really time when to hit block and most of the time i still end up rolling or just not blocking when i hit the block button. Main complain is the game really does a terrible job keeping the story interesting, a lot of this game feels like random levels, some of them that i don't really enjoy.

pakkit

Banned
sillymonkey321 said:
Shameful.

I'm on the third from last chapter and can't wait to get to the end!

Each chapter seems better than the one before it, and on the whole I'm enjoying this fighting system much more than GoW2's (haven't played GoW3, so I can't say anything). I'll be sure to give a more in-depth review when I cross the finish line, but so far I'm loving this game.

Definitely felt like I made the right decision, thanks GAF!

Teknoman

sillymonkey321 said:

I'm terrible at block countering in this game, i can never really time when to hit block and most of the time i still end up rolling or just not blocking when i hit the block button. Main complain is the game really does a terrible job keeping the story interesting, a lot of this game feels like random levels, some of them that i don't really enjoy.

Just have to stand still when blocking, as if you were trying to absorb the impact, and not just deflect it.

Decado

Starting chapter 8 and it has improved in so many ways since chapter 4 or 5...but the puzzles are getting so fucking tedious! Damned, how do they think this shit is fun? Enter room, do boring puzzle...in order to enter the next and repeat. Not to mention none of it makes any sense (not how to solve them so much as why they're there in the first damn place).

Nearly gave up in Chapter 7.

Spiegel

Dave Cox twitted the other day that he was at Mercury Steam's offices. I suppose he was there to check the development of the DLC

OR maybe for CASTLEVANIA:LOS2

CaVaYeRo

Thread worthy?

Rumor has it that MercurySteam is already working on Nintendo 3DS.

I think it's a pretty safe bet to believe they're already at work with the hardware. Early assumptions point to either Contra 3DS (Wayforward is NOT after this one) or even rumored Castlevania 3DS, but Iga is supposed to be after that one.

Does anyone know if they had to work for Konami on a possible 3DS project?

EDIT: They recently showed a little title called Mortimer & Lilturd on a PC 3D set. It's a scrolling puzzle platformer.

I don't understand the complaints about a game being "too long" that is by far the worst complaint. If I am spending $60 on a new game that shit better be long. Its like some people want to pay more money for less content. Nobody is forcing you to play it if its too long.

Top Bottom