• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

eso76

dk_ said:
Borrowed it from a friend and was really surprised how good it is. Yes, it has framerate issues here and there (360), but it's still tolerable. I was particularly amazed that you are busy with the story (without backtracking) for 20 hours. You can't take that for granted in this genre. Besides, I liked disc 2 better since it has more classic Castlevania elements.

Thoroughly immersive action with many (some really impressive) boss fights. One should have played it!

8 / 10

:-o

yeah, i'm playing this and currently on chapter IX.
I'm impressed with mercurysteam's effort. This game shows they really enjoyed what they were doing; so far it's been a long ride with very very little filler; the amount of bosses, mid bosses, variety of situations, areas, skills the games throws at you at an incredible pace despite its remarkable lenght is impressive.
Yes, so the game doesn't really retain Castlevania's atmospheres but it's an excellent action game, with a rewarding and rather deep fighting system and great variety.

Underrated imo, a lot of the complaints i've read on GAF are absolutely ridiculous.

Ledsen

I really want to buy this game even though I already finished it... borrowed it from a friend close to release but I've been wanting to return to it ever since. Such an awesome, awesome game.

RPGCrazied

I love this game so much, I bought the PS3 version, even after owning & beating the 360 version. The DLC and sequel can't come soon enough.

Vitet

brandonh83 said:
Oscar Araujo. Best game score from last year IMO.

Not only your opinion now :D
http://filmmusiccritics.org/
In the non-film category, Bear McCreary wins his second award in a row in the Best Score for a Television Series, this year for Fox’s drama HUMAN TARGET (McCreary won last year for BATTLESTAR: GALACTICA). Kojima Productions’ CASTLEVANIA: LORDS OF SHADOW, with music by Óscar Araujo, wins Best Score for a Video Game or Interactive Media.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Vitet said:
Oh hell yes, i always thought the score was fantastic despite everyone screaming how generic it was. Really fantastic to hear it has been recognized. Very epic and emotional music.

Im also definitely finding that the people that really liked this game really love it as opposed to other games where people are kinda ho-hum after release whether there be a positive or negative reaction.

I knew there was a reason i loved it so much when playing it. A lot of other people and reviews were just like "meh" and i just didnt understand that.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Does anyone know what exactly the new chapters are? Do they travel to existing locations or are they brand new environments. Im just happy 2 new DLC releases are coming for this game.

Cant wait for a sequel.

I'd hope they're going to be brand new environments, even if they're just extensions of some of the familiar chapters.

edit: glad to see some other people fucking get it about the score for this game, seriously. I also thought the How to Train Your Dragon score was at least one of the best film scores of 2010. I like these guys.

c0Xgr.jpg

oh sheeeeeiiit boys.

Cels

did a lot of people buy this game?

I hope so, it's so good. just killed the 2nd Lord and i'm having a blast.

People who think this game is just a God of War clone are just wrong, the game is much different.

Skippable/option to unlock solution for puzzles is a nice touch. Backtracking is fun. Dark/light power usage is engaging, and relic usage is fun too.

probably my favorite game of holiday 2010

El-Suave

Cels said:
did a lot of people buy this game?
probably my favorite game of holiday 2010

Same here.
I read in an interview with the producer that the game wasn't that expensive to make, despite having great production values in my opinion. I think it must have sold better than what some other Konami games sell these days. Producing a sequel is probably one of the safer bets Konami can make.

I was really pleasantly surprised at how good this game was when I finished it today. The light/shadow mechanics really helped differentiate the feel of the combat from others in the genre in my opinion, and if not for the slowdowns (on 360 anyway) the presentation was probably the best I've played on console after God of War 3.
After the cutscene that plays when the credit finishes, I am now curious on what directions they will take the sequel if there is to be one and I wonder if they can keep the same style of art style.

brandonh83 said:
Oscar Araujo. Best game score from last year IMO.

Getting really excited for the DLC but I'm probably more anxious for the second DLC.

While I'm not sure if it had the best sound track last year, the Maze Gardens track was my favorite single track I think.

Wallachia

David Cox' twitter a couple minutes ago re: DLC, let's hope release is sooner in March than later:

CastlevaniaLOS@twit55811- It's in submission with Sony and Microsoft so should be soon expect it this month for sure!

Ichabod

Banned
Wallachia said:
David Cox' twitter a couple minutes ago re: DLC, let's hope release is sooner in March than later:

CastlevaniaLOS@twit55811- It's in submission with Sony and Microsoft so should be soon expect it this month for sure!

YUS!

Dead

well not really...yet
For anyone who hasn't bought the game yet, Frys seem to have dropped the price to $35 for a new copy. Cheaper than a used copy at Gamestop, lol.

Cels

so i beat the game, collected all the gems, and opened all the arks.

i figure i might as well do all the trials and complete all levels on paladin. it doesn't feel like a chore either cause it's still fun all the way through. plus the game is very long, a nice change from the action games this gen that last 5 hr.

one minor problem i have with the game is in the controls -- mapping block and dodge to L2/left trigger means inevitably you will dodge when you want to block or block when you want to dodge. it's a really minor problem that is less about the user executing poorly and more about how mercurysteam should have considered modifying their controls because it was a really easy change to make.

anyway i still believe this my game of holiday 2010 and i will buy the dlc when it finally comes out.

jackdoe

Ninja Scooter said:
This DLC needs to come out already. I mean, I'll buy it but I feel like they've really missed the boat on helping get the game more attention.
I feel the same. December or January would have been the best time to release the first batch of DLC and keep at least some sales attention on the game. But in March, we're heading into a very dense release period.

Wallachia

Ninja Scooter said:
This DLC needs to come out already. I mean, I'll buy it but I feel like they've really missed the boat on helping get the game more attention.

Funny, I am also losing steam about it a bit, I feel like Cox needed a trailer out like 4 weeks ago, and then launch the DLC mid February.. 2 weeks ago. Now, the magic that LoS had is getting forgotten by the main stream as new games are coming out, like Killzone 3 even, and GDC and the news there.. it's all killing the already delicate CV:LoS buzz..

Wallachia

true. I almost wish the LoI soundtrack was used for LoS instead.. picture Garden Forgotten by Time used or some of the lush outdoor areas. Or Ghostly Theatre used for parts of the castle :eek:

Another revamp of the original Castlevania? Think i will pass on that.

But bring on the DLC already for Lords! :D They are already on the console quality assurance?

Wallachia said:
true. I almost wish the LoI soundtrack was used for LoS instead.. picture Garden Forgotten by Time used or some of the lush outdoor areas. Or Ghostly Theatre used for parts of the castle :eek:

I thought the score we got was just fine =D

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow has brought videogames one step closer to being recognized as award worthy pieces of entertainment. Castlevania‘s score by Óscar Araujo has been given an award in the “Best Original Score for a Video Game or Interactive Media” category by the International Film Music Critics’ Association.

But yeah dude, Lament had an amazing soundtrack. They all pretty much do. It is different though, but it's also a different kind of Castlevania. I really don't think the upbeat style of Yamane would have fit the tone of LOS. See for yourself; the game allows for custom soundtracks. I've set different older tunes to it and they don't match the game at all. Araujo's score does.

Funshine

Neo Member
MoonsaultSlayer said:
I wanted to bump and ask where the hell is the dlc.

Glad I didn't have to get anyone's hopes up since someone already bumped it.

It was delayed a few weeks back until match, but no official date was given. The other one is still supposed to be coming out in April as far as I know.

I like how some people are complaining about the release date, if it was released within a month from the game's initial release you would've complained saying it was a cash-in, but when they actually put some honest to god-effort in it, you complain that it took too long to come out.

Make up your minds already, game content takes time to make.

Top Bottom