• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

Host Samurai said:
I don't understand the complaints about a game being "too long" that is by far the worst complaint. If I am spending $60 on a new game that shit better be long. Its like some people want to pay more money for less content. Nobody is forcing you to play it if its too long.

Even I think the first three chapters are a little too long. It was beautiful stuff, sure, but it did feel like padding IMO. Even if the game was shortened and the pacing tightened up a bit, it would still be a pretty long game.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Host Samurai said:
I don't understand the complaints about a game being "too long" that is by far the worst complaint. If I am spending $60 on a new game that shit better be long. Its like some people want to pay more money for less content. Nobody is forcing you to play it if its too long.

I want to pay the same amount of money for a game comprised exclusively of excellent content. It seems too obvious to be worth stating but quality matters more than quantity. Filler in games is a problem because it's distributed throughout the experience; it's not like just the last 3 hours are the bad part. If that were true, then your sage advice to "just stop playing if it's too long" would make at least a small amount of sense.

Host Samurai said:

Yeah this is likely one of the worst things in the industry today. "I'M AN ADULT AND I HAVE A LIFE I DUN WANT LONG GAMES WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

Its like, really? I'm not a big multiplayer person so I don't count that towards "time" in a game. Castlevania WAS long, by modern standards but I loved every bit of it!

Going back in the thread and rereading it...

Why oh why did I watch DSP play this game? I feel like I lost 10 I.Q. points watching that idiot. And he wants to make this a career?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
TheChillyAcademic said:
Yeah this is likely one of the worst things in the industry today. "I'M AN ADULT AND I HAVE A LIFE I DUN WANT LONG GAMES WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

Its like, really? I'm not a big multiplayer person so I don't count that towards "time" in a game. Castlevania WAS long, by modern standards but I loved every bit of it!

After the short-ass re-tread through the same 3 locations AGAIN in God of War III, Lords of Shadow was like "OMFG an actual game" as far as content goes.

george_us

brandonh83 said:
Even I think the first three chapters are a little too long. It was beautiful stuff, sure, but it did feel like padding IMO. Even if the game was shortened and the pacing tightened up a bit, it would still be a pretty long game.
See I didn't think so because I thought the game did an amazing job of throwing different things at you.

Violater said:
Bumped and no DLC yet again :/
When do they ever release at the beginning of the month? It's like sneak previews airing during tv shows. They always put them at the end just to make you sit through tons of crappy commercials and their dumb show. Don't expect it till the end of the month. That's what I'm doing.

george_us said:
See I didn't think so because I thought the game did an amazing job of throwing different things at you.

It did. I don't despise the first few chapters but I do think it takes a bit too long to get through them. It's hard for me to complain about it because I've been wanting a Castlevania that starts waaaayyy far away from the castle and you have to work your way to it, so it was like this game was made just to scratch that itch I've had for a long time.

On the other hand, it wasn't exactly how I would have did it. A couple of "pretty" levels would be fine, but I was hoping for more stuff like... that level with the barns and flying horse heads in Super IV. Stuff like that. Maybe a bit darker/more gothic than what we got. It was still very nice stuff though.

I actually thought the stuff
post-castle in that creepy scarecrow village
was on the right track and the sort of thing that we should have stumbled upon in the opening chapters.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
TheChillyAcademic said:

It's not that people don't want long games, it's that they don't want mediocre content padding out what could be a high quality experience from start to finish.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Can someone tell me where all this horrible framerate is? So far, I have made it to the
Stone Titan
and I'm still not seeing the so-called terrible framerate. Sure, it dips but I'm feeling a lot of exaggeration here in regards to it.

Darkmakaimura said:
Can someone tell me where all this horrible framerate is? So far, I have made it to the
Stone Titan
and I'm still not seeing the so-called terrible framerate. Sure, it dips but I'm feeling a lot of exaggeration here in regards to it.
I was never one of the complainers but I noticed it especially when enemies blow up (360). The whole game just pauses for a whole second. It was really bad when you have a bunch of them doing it at once. The game turned into a slide show.

Maybe it was done on purpose but I can't imagine why.

NeoUltima

Darkmakaimura said:
Stone Titan
You're already beyond the worst of it(chapter 1 and
stone titan you are on now
).
edit: i only speak for the ps3 though

linkboy

Darkmakaimura said:
Stone Titan

I beat the game on the 360 version and I never had an issue with the framerate. I'm now playing the PS3 version and its defintely a bit smooter though.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
FTR, I'm playing the 360 version. I haven't noticed any long pauses when things blow up. I do notice the framerate can get a bit choppy, but nowhere near as bad as people here have been saying.

linkboy said:
I beat the game on the 360 version and I never had an issue with the framerate. I'm now playing the PS3 version and its defintely a bit smooter though.
The game never paused when enemies exploded on the 360 version?

Darkmakaimura said:
FTR, I'm playing the 360 version. I haven't noticed any long pauses when things blow up. I do notice the framerate can get a bit choppy, but nowhere near as bad as people here have been saying.
Hmmm...that's strange then.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
1. The 360 version got a title update to fix the framerate hitch when enemies die.

2. The PS3 version got a patch to fix a save corruption bug.

3. The demo on each platform used old E3 code, and had a slightly worse framerate than the final build. Thus the framerate issues the game has became somewhat exaggerated, though the PS3 build (the game's native platform) does have a smoother framerate by 4-5 FPS in many areas.

After everyone settled into the game and got over launch day hype/betrayalton moments, the only REAL problem the game has, as in a game-breaking issue depending on how you would like to play it, is the crazy attack animation hitboxes on many enemies and bosses. These screw with dodge rolling and block counter mechanics.

Other than that - which admittedly isn't a small issue in a heavy duty action fighting game - the game is actually pretty damn polished and complete. Its framerate could be better and feels as if their engine is not fully optimized or finished; God of War III throws around even more elaborate graphics and has a superior framerate on the same platform. Lords of Shadow isn't doing anything GoW doesn't to warrant its framerate.

Tiny bit of an update from Dave Cox

We just finished it, so it's gonna be a couple of weeks at least in submissions. Sorry for the wait but it's gonna be worth it!!

So now it looks like we're waiting on Microsoft/Sony.

Decado

*groans* I don't remember the Castlevania titles as puzzle games. Shit, you can't go more than a few minutes without encountering another tedious puzzle.

Is there a way to skip levels (cheats, whatever)? I'm almost at chapter 10, but there is no way in hell that I'm subjecting myself to another second in that shit music box stage.

Cutscenes in this game are pretty cool and I wouldn't mind fighting the remaining bosses...but otherwise I just want to wrap it up as quickly as possible and trade it in.

Minamu

It has 12 chapters actually. But some of them are purely boss fights and/or really few/short levels. Still, it is a pretty massive experience.

Maxrunner

Ok, i assume you dont need an psn account created to get the patch. But i already created and i havent seen any update so i assume my brother already did it. Still i was searching at the store but havent found it.

Maxrunner said:
Ok, i assume you dont need an psn account created to get the patch. But i already created and i havent seen any update so i assume my brother already did it. Still i was searching at the store but havent found it.

If you check your PS3's Game Data Utility (scroll up on the game tab of the XMB) there should be a Castlevania file. It's 16MB and is version 1.01. If you have that then you've downloaded the patch already.

Vorg

Banned
Decado said:
Is there a way to skip levels (cheats, whatever)? I'm almost at chapter 10, but there is no way in hell that I'm subjecting myself to another second in that shit music box stage.

Dude, I love that stage. It was really unique and rewarding IMO.

Found something coming this week for you Playstation Home users.

http://www.gamersdailynews.com/story-22306-Playstation-Home-Updates--Fantasy-February.html

Mainly just 2 Outfits; Claudia, and Silver Warrior.

Here's a pic of one

5431373174_b76b9e64dc_z.jpg

Maxrunner said:

Yeah patches are automatic as long as you are online. You can only get expansion packs etc. from the Store.

Maxrunner

What a fine game this is....mercurysteam has been put on the map because of this game. Who made the soundtrack, its also very good. Graphic wise its some of the best ive seen this generation artistic and tech wise.....

Portalbox

Maxrunner said:
What a fine game this is....mercurysteam has been put on the map because of this game. Who made the soundtrack, its also very good. Graphic wise its some of the best ive seen this generation artistic and tech wise.....

I agree. Some reviews were harsh with this game because it "looked like another GoW clone", but I found the game varied enough and the artstyle definitely made me enjoy the game more.

J-Rock

Banned
Does anyone know the name of the artist that drew all of the badass design sketches in the game(the ones on the pages of the in-game book)?

dk_

Borrowed it from a friend and was really surprised how good it is. Yes, it has framerate issues here and there (360), but it's still tolerable. I was particularly amazed that you are busy with the story (without backtracking) for 20 hours. You can't take that for granted in this genre. Besides, I liked disc 2 better since it has more classic Castlevania elements.

Thoroughly immersive action with many (some really impressive) boss fights. You should give it a try.

8 / 10

Foffy said:
Pretty sure it's coming out by the end of the month or early March. They just submitted the DLC yesterday.
:-o

Maxrunner said:

Oscar Araujo. Best game score from last year IMO.

Getting really excited for the DLC but I'm probably more anxious for the second DLC.

Top Bottom