• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

jackdoe

It seems like they are using comic styled cutscenes for this one. While I would have liked actual cutscenes, this seems like a nice alternative.

Grisby

jackdoe said:
It seems like they are using comic styled cutscenes for this one. While I would have liked actual cutscenes, this seems like a nice alternative.

Yeah, I think this game has the art to back that type of storytelling.

Love The Hunting Path. It's the first time you hear the full blown theme to the game, and it's stunning. IMO one of the most memorable and heroic themes in any game I've ever played.

As underrated as some of you find the game to be, I find that the score is even more so.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I should really go back to this game. But I need to finish those two last playthroughs of Nier. And then there's FF XIII I should finish up. And Splatterhouse. And I should get back to playing GT5. And I still haven't even started Heavy Rain.

I'm never gonna get around to finish this game, am I? :(

Dead

well not really...yet
brandonh83 said:
Love The Hunting Path. It's the first time you hear the full blown theme to the game, and it's stunning. IMO one of the most memorable and heroic themes in any game I've ever played.

As underrated as some of you find the game to be, I find that the score is even more so.
The music is so good, but at the same its kinda distracting how obviously it apes the scores to the LOTR movies.

Dead said:
The music is so good, but at the same its kinda distracting how obviously it apes the scores to the LOTR movies.

Not at all? LOTR did not invent orchestral film scores. LOTR has its own distinct style that I don't really hear in LOS. Just because a score is bombastic and "epic" doesn't mean it's a LOTR ripoff.

I'm not saying that some of it doesn't sound similar, but that's just because when you use similar instruments and write music for a similar tone, you're going to end up with similar things. Especially when choir is utilized. Some of it may sound similar, but I highly doubt it was the composer's intent.

If you listen to tracks like Belmont's Theme, Hunting Path, Ice Titan, Carmilla, Maze Garden, Castle Hall... they bare no resemblance to LOTR. Maybe some of the choir stuff in Hunting Path, but again, many composers use the same type of choir in these kinds of things.

And even if it were a ripoff, which I don't think it is, I mean how many videogame scores can even be compared to Shore's LOTR work? Yeah, not very many. If any.

Wallachia

Ozzykamikaze said:
This game has SO MUCH personality when it comes to the art that it can more than hold itself up that way.

Yes. Reminds us that Kojima's presence WAS pertinent. But I wish I knew how much of the credit goes to Cox and team, just as well..

Riposte

Wallachia said:
Yes. Reminds us that Kojima's presence WAS pertinent. But I wish I knew how much of the credit goes to Cox and team, just as well..

Where can I find the specifics on Kojima's interaction with the project? The game was really good, something mostly exclusive to Japanese titles in the genre.

Wallachia said:

We don't know Kojima had directive control over the MS art team's direction. For all we know he had shit to do with the art design. MS needs more credit and benefit of the doubt, not Kojima - in the end I'd be more likely to believe his name was slapped on it for PR and marketing, not as a reflection of intimate control or influence over the project.

Wallachia

Riposte said:
Where can I find the specifics on Kojima's interaction with the project? The game was really good, something mostly exclusive to Japanese titles in the genre.

I read in an interview with Cox many months ago, that he would visit the studio every couple weeks and review designs, and give input on alot of details, especially facial expressions and eyes in the cut scenes, I remember reading. They also sent him art to comment on, electronically..

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Got this game the other day. Absolutely HATED it solely due to the Bog stage. Stopped after finally finishing it and thought about selling the game. Decided to stick with it and play a couple more stages and I'm really glad I did. Every stage since the Bog has been great. Wish the combat were just a little bit more fluid (every action game I've played since Bayonetta feels weird due to not having an air dodge), but other than that, no real complaints. Well, the camera, but that's been covered so many times it hardly merits being mentioned anymore.

Anyway, great game, really enjoying it.

stewy

I seem to remember something in the making of where they said Kojima's greatest influence was on the design of the main character. So it's not hard to believe that he had an influence on the overall art direction.

Ledsen

Genesis Knight said:
We don't know Kojima had directive control over the MS art team's direction. For all we know he had shit to do with the art design. MS needs more credit and benefit of the doubt, not Kojima - in the end I'd be more likely to believe his name was slapped on it for PR and marketing, not as a reflection of intimate control or influence over the project.

I agree. Why assume Kojima had anything at all to do with the look of the game past the main character, when it's obvious the artist at MS are incredibly talented? They should have the credit.

edit: missed wallachias post. Still doesn't mean he had any big part in making the game as good as it does. I mean the art direction in MGS isn't nearly as good.

Wallachia

Seraphis Cain said:
Got this game the other day. Absolutely HATED it solely due to the Bog stage. Stopped after finally finishing it and thought about selling the game. Decided to stick with it and play a couple more stages and I'm really glad I did. Every stage since the Bog has been great. Wish the combat were just a little bit more fluid (every action game I've played since Bayonetta feels weird due to not having an air dodge), but other than that, no real complaints. Well, the camera, but that's been covered so many times it hardly merits being mentioned anymore.

Anyway, great game, really enjoying it.

I LOVED the bog! The whispering voices, and the mausoleum and swamp troll fight at the end of the level. It was the first time I had that CV feel, dare I say.. Simon's Quest feel :))

Ledsen said:
I agree. Why assume Kojima had anything at all to do with the look of the game past the main character, when it's obvious the artist at MS are incredibly talented? They should have the credit.

edit: missed wallachias post. Still doesn't mean he had any big part in making the game as good as it does. I mean the art direction in MGS isn't nearly as good.

As much as I love this game and its art, you DO NOT diss Shinkawa's art, that's pure blasphemy!

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
The bog is on my shitlist for employing the "you have to walk really slowly through this part while waiting for dangerous things to appear and disappear" mechanic which is completely unchallenging but extremely tedious. I never need to play anything like that again in the rest of my gaming life.

.la1n

I really want to play through this game again, it's still fresh but not too fresh in my mind. Wonder if I can get a copy on the cheap.

dankir

PLay through it again I think I played through the game at least 3 times. Fist play through, 2nd playthough on Paladin and sometimes even a 3rd time to finish the challenges.

1000/1000 baby.

I'm more excited about the 2nd DLC I want to see how that's going to play out :)

I got really excited about the first DLC after the teaser-trailer, it seems it ALSO continues the story right after the main game. So it is not just a couple challengemaps with Laura.

Wallachia

hey_it's_that_dog said:
The bog is on my shitlist for employing the "you have to walk really slowly through this part while waiting for dangerous things to appear and disappear" mechanic which is completely unchallenging but extremely tedious. I never need to play anything like that again in the rest of my gaming life.

True, I remember that. I guess I love the bog more recently now because after beating the game and having the speed boots and wings, you can soar quickly over those spots..

Aru

The ending made me interested in the DLC. I'm not a huge fan of the main game though.
I'm not even sure I want a sequel. Depends if they stop merging ideas from other games into a soulless Castlevania.

I'll wait for impressions on Reverie, but I'm more interested in the second DLC.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Just beat the game today (had been taking a long break from it), and the ending + epilogue sure made me anticipate the upcoming DLC! (I hope nobody turned the game off during the credits...)

Anybody up for making a Reverie thread? I mean, I could do it, I just wasn't sure if anyone else was working on it or interested.

I was kind of thinking that both Reverie and Resurrection should get a thread together, since they're arriving so close together. Unless the 2nd DLC gets delayed or something.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Just beat the Crow Witch boss. Game keeps getting better.

Except, why do the crows sound like bats, and why did the Crow Witch have Godzilla's roar?

Zeal

Banned
brandonh83 said:
Anybody up for making a Reverie thread? I mean, I could do it, I just wasn't sure if anyone else was working on it or interested.

I was kind of thinking that both Reverie and Resurrection should get a thread together, since they're arriving so close together. Unless the 2nd DLC gets delayed or something.

agreed, please do it.

the chris

Don't really think this deserves a new thread itself, but I just downloaded a patch for the PS3 version of the game, maybe it is a sign the new content is coming soon(please be next week.)

edit: Just checked the trophies, there are six new trophies for the downloadable content.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
brandonh83 said:

When is Resurrection expected? I thought it was like end of year or something?
Be great if it were now!

Teknoman

burgerdog said:
Wat? I thought it was next week.

edit

Buying, don't give a fuck if it sucks.

Me too, didnt see it listed in today's PSN store topic either...but saw the icon next to Legend of Mana when checking out the store.

It sucks that the European store updates on Wednesday. I'm definitely getting this straight away, even though it's the 2nd piece that I'm really interested in. Saying that, if they felt like delaying Resurrection for a couple of weeks I wouldn't object. I'm still swimming under my backlog. Yakuza 4 last week, Dissidia Duodecim and TR Collection this week, The Third Birthday the week after and Dynasty Warriors 7 the one after that, plus this and the new ME2 DLC.

Can someone who is playing the DLC confirm to me at what point you need to be in the game in order for DLC content to become accessible?

I platinumed it, but then lost all my saves to a YLOD and I really don't want to beat the entire game again just to play the DLC. I borrowed a friends save, and turns out it's not a copy-protected save, but it does lock trophies if you're using someone else's save, and I don't want to play a game with no trophies either.

Teknoman

Die Squirrel Die said:
It sucks that the European store updates on Wednesday. I'm definitely getting this straight away, even though it's the 2nd piece that I'm really interested in. Saying that, if they felt like delaying Resurrection for a couple of weeks I wouldn't object. I'm still swimming under my backlog. Yakuza 4 last week, Dissidia Duodecim and TR Collection this week, The Third Birthday the week after and Dynasty Warriors 7 the one after that, plus this and the new ME2 DLC.

I havent beaten ME2 yet...but at least that'll prevent me from buying ME3 day one. I still need to finish the base game + all the DLC. Trying to hold off on Dissidia and PE3 since i've got enough to play atm (unless I get some gift cards or something). Yakuza on the other hand, just getting into that since I found 3 on sale at Amazon.

Its funny how most of us are in similar situations backlog wise lol.

EDIT: By the way, the track called "The Ogre" from the main game's soundtrack = great.

Especially 0:35 to 1:12.

cpp_is_king said:
Can someone who is playing the DLC confirm to me at what point you need to be in the game in order for DLC content to become accessible?

I platinumed it, but then lost all my saves to a YLOD and I really don't want to beat the entire game again just to play the DLC. I borrowed a friends save, and turns out it's not a copy-protected save, but it does lock trophies if you're using someone else's save, and I don't want to play a game with no trophies either.

Reposting cause same shit happened to me.

Top Bottom