• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

Bought it without even checking my bank account. Shit I better do that

Should we use this thread or should I make a real quick bare-bones thread for it?

burgerdog

Hm, no separate menu for the DLC. It is in the map menu and it is Chapter XIII, takes place in the same area as Chapter VI(map wise at the very least.) So I'm not completely sure if you need to have beat the game to access this content, sorry.

Make a new thread!

Teknoman

burgerdog said:
Hm, no separate menu for the DLC. It is in the map menu and it is Chapter XIII, takes place in the same area as Chapter VI(map wise at the very least.) So I'm not completely sure if you need to have beat the game to access this content, sorry.

Make a new thread!

Maybe throw Chapter XIII into the title?

burgerdog said:

Make a new thread!

Well, that suggests that you probably do have to beat it. Would you be willing to post a trophy list, along with whether they are bronze/silver/gold? If they're all bronze or something like that I might not care so much about not getting them and use my friend's save.

Edit: Looks like someone else might be making a new thread, if so I'll post this over there as it would be more appropriate

Wallachia

Seraphis Cain said:
Just beat the Crow Witch boss. Game keeps getting better.

Except, why do the crows sound like bats, and why did the Crow Witch have Godzilla's roar?

To me, the game starts to hit it's best at the Crow Witch Tower. You are in for some great stuff the next few chapters..

Joei

Hey, I'm going to need a new game soon and was wondering about this one. My only question is if there is any difference between the PS3 game and the 360 one. I don't intend to be an ass by that question, I simply have both systems and if there's a noticable difference on multiplatform games, I'll buy the "better" version. I see the PS3 version has the new DLC, but I'm not really worried about that since by the time I get the game and am able to play through the DLC, I'm sure it'll be on the 360. Thanks for any help!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Joei said:
Hey, I'm going to need a new game soon and was wondering about this one. My only question is if there is any difference between the PS3 game and the 360 one. I don't intend to be an ass by that question, I simply have both systems and if there's a noticable difference on multiplatform games, I'll buy the "better" version. I see the PS3 version has the new DLC, but I'm not really worried about that since by the time I get the game and am able to play through the DLC, I'm sure it'll be on the 360. Thanks for any help!

They're functionally identical with two exceptions:

The framerate of the PS3 build is arguably smoother and consistently runs about 2 - 5fps better in many spots.

The bigger issue is the 360 version comes on two discs, and you gotta disc swap to go back to chapters in the first half of the game to replay them for items and challenges. PS3 is on one blu-ray and you don't swap discs.

So I'm replaying chapters VI-VIII to get myself psyched for the dlc and something just occured to me. The castle layout doesn't make sense. Castle Hall and Refectory are ground level right? Than why is the next level Balcony? When did Gabriel go up a full floor?

HOLY CRAP, I just bought this game a few days ago. Just beat
the Lycan King (Cornell), which was an EPIC battle. Fighting the Titans was downright incredible too, I was blown away by the sheer size of them and how big and interactive they were and the environment

Does it get more epic than this???

linkboy

shinobi602 said:
HOLY CRAP, I just bought this game a few days ago. Just beat
the Lycan King (Cornell), which was an EPIC battle. Fighting the Titans was downright incredible too, I was blown away by the sheer size of them and how big and interactive they were and the environment

Does it get more epic than this???

Yes, it does.

burgerdog said:
Seeing this thread is a massive boner killer for the DLC now. LOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVEEEEEEEED the game, hated the dlc and its price.

Oh, God. Yeah. I even got all the trophies and still felt ripped.

Zeal

Banned
Jusus man, is the 360 version still not up? I'm not even interested at this point. Just gonna watch a play through on youtube. This was not handled well at all.

CaVaYeRo

Well Konami, officially delayed the DLC with no new date atm.

On a side note, Mercury Steam's leader talked about 3D gaming during a Nintendo event and he's completely in love with the 3DS:

http://www.gamereactor.es/articulos/1037/iD%C9AME+una+Nintendo+3DS/

ideameunanintendo_241055.jpg

Here I have some quotes in rough English:

- Absolutely pumped about the Nintendo 3DS. Present during official presentation and later at a young developers conference to show his enthusiasm with the new handheld.
- “3D without glasses is like knocking an old barrier down” “Now the feeling is more real, and thus we don’t have to ‘cheat’ the players that much with 3D worlds”
- “I first thought about Descent or Quake, it’s like those times when you first discovered new freedom”
- Mercury Steam already played with Stereoscopic 3D and built an own Castlevania PC demo to try some tests during its development. “Although it was primitive, we all said wow because you could tell which glow worms were just some centimeters from you, and which were ten meters in the depth”.
- They’ll consider every option and are pretty interested in the 3DS, but couldn’t confirm any project for it yet.

-Winnie-

Lords of Shadow would be incredible with 3D support. It already had a nice sense of depth thanks to all the particle effects used in the environments, I can only imagine how great it would look in real 3D.

And DLC delay? Is that a delay on the second pack, or the first pack for Europe?

I know this has probably been asked but is there any chance of this ever getting a PC version? The graphics look so fkng good and the game itself sounds great.

Ledsen

-Winnie- said:
Lords of Shadow would be incredible with 3D support. It already had a nice sense of depth thanks to all the particle effects used in the environments, I can only imagine how great it would look in real 3D.

And DLC delay? Is that a delay on the second pack, or the first pack for Europe?

Yeah Lords of Shadow with halved framerate would be great, I would be able to count the fps on the fingers of my hand.

Heavy said:
I know this has probably been asked but is there any chance of this ever getting a PC version? The graphics look so fkng good and the game itself sounds great.

Not a chance. How I wish it were so, however.

WOW I just
beat the Vampire lieutenant (Brauner?) and now heading into the castle
, damn this game is friggin amazing. The production quality just feels through the roof. Every environment looks BEAUTIFULLY rendered, every conversation feels alive and it jumps out at you.

Every damn character feels like something out of a fantasy world, but feels...like I said, so alive, so real. I'm addicted, can't stop playing.

Was everyone orgasming over this when it came out? I wasn't here then.

Teknoman

shinobi602 said:
WOW I just
beat the Vampire lieutenant (Brauner?) and now heading into the castle
, damn this game is friggin amazing. The production quality just feels through the roof. Every environment looks BEAUTIFULLY rendered, every conversation feels alive and it jumps out at you.

Every damn character feels like something out of a fantasy world, but feels...like I said, so alive, so real. I'm addicted, can't stop playing.

Was everyone orgasming over this when it came out? I wasn't here then.

Everyone aside from strict fans of the metroid style games in the series. A few people wanted more classic Castlevania themes to make an appearance, but thats about it.

Tron 2.0

shinobi602 said:
...Every damn character feels like something out of a fantasy world, but feels...like I said, so alive, so real. I'm addicted, can't stop playing...
I could not disagree with you more.

I just finished playing for the first time last week. I thought the core gameplay was competent, if unspectacular. Hated everything about the story.

My favorite part of the game was the sadly too short
music box
level. The perfect amount of platforming/puzzling.

EDIT: Shocking Alberto basically sums up my thoughts here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26722927&postcount=142

Finally got around to playing this, I love the game but damn you get so much shit, Im old man, Ill just take a whip and combos w/dagger, every damn button is used, lol, besides this Im really loving it.

Slime

Banned
Beat Reverie tonight. I was surprised by how easy it was to pick up the game and be into it just as much as I was 6 months ago or whatever. It was a little too short for my tastes, but the levels were fun and the cutscenes were gorgeous, and I'm excited to see what happens next. But most of all it was just nice to pick it up again and still be into it, even after spending all those hours getting 110% in every level back in October and milking it for every last drop of content. A mark of a genuinely solid game, in my opinion.

Edit: Son of a beech. Clicked the wrong thread in my bookmarks. My bad.

Tron 2.0 said:
I could not disagree with you more.

I just finished playing for the first time last week. I thought the core gameplay was competent, if unspectacular. Hated everything about the story.

My favorite part of the game was the sadly too short
music box
level. The perfect amount of platforming/puzzling.

EDIT: Shocking Alberto basically sums up my thoughts here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26722927&postcount=142

I guess...I'm in love with the game. Not sure what's not to like about the story, then again I always find myself in the minority amongst other gamers, I pretty much enjoy just about every story in the games I play.

Tokubetsu

shinobi602 said:
I guess...I'm in love with the game. Not sure what's not to like about the story, then again I always find myself in the minority amongst other gamers, I pretty much enjoy just about every story in the games I play.

I feel the same way man. I'm always in the minority though. I was one of the few talking about how awesome the musicbox level was back when everyone was bitching about it.

Just Got the DLC.... and I just finished it :\

OMG seriously they are selling this for 10$? it deserve 5$ nothing more..... waaaaaaaay too short for a 10$ DLC :\

anyway anything related to Lords of Shadow for me is loved <3

The End

Amazon is matching GameStop's price at $30

I'm tempted to pull the trigger, I loooooved Lament of Innocence but Curse of Darkness bored me to tears.

Grisby

The End said:
Amazon is matching GameStop's price at $30

I'm tempted to pull the trigger, I loooooved Lament of Innocence but Curse of Darkness bored me to tears.

I think you'd get way more than enough game time out of LOS for $30. Shit, it was more then worth it at $60.

Foffy

Banned
Grisby said:
I think you'd get way more than enough game time out of LOS for $30. Shit, it was more then worth it at $60.

Too true. Considering the way similar games are this generation, they could have gone the simple route by making it a 6-8 hour game. The fact it's 12-15 hours on a normal run is something incredible, and that's not including the challenges and collectables.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Foffy said:
Too true. Considering the way similar games are this generation, they could have gone the simple route by making it a 6-8 hour game. The fact it's 12-15 hours on a normal run is something incredible, and that's not including the challenges and collectables.

Or it means they didn't cut out some of the lower quality content like they should have.

Ledsen

Foffy said:

12-15 hours? I'd say 15-20. It's god damn LONG.

Foffy said:
If someone handed me a 1600 page book they wrote, my first thought wouldn't be "Wow, what a great writer!"

It would be "Wow, what a lazy editor."

mjc

ShockingAlberto said:
If someone handed me a 1600 page book they wrote, my first thought wouldn't be "Wow, what a great writer!"

It would be "Wow, what a lazy editor."

I'd rather have a meaty game like this instead of a super short game.

Top Bottom