• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

sweetvar26 said:
Anybody got the limited edition? If yes, could you please post some pictures...

I got the LE and the demo just a few minutes ago from my private Leprechaun brb I'll take some pics

Gamespot only scored this game 1.2 points lower than Metal Gear Solid 3 and 0.2 under Silent Hill 2.

NeoUltima

Edge > Gamespot.

Whodda thunk it.

Not digging Gamespot's view of the game. I think they are digging too much on unoriginality, especially when they concedes what it copies it does very well.

The only thing in the Gamespot review that I worry about (since I gave up on originality and 'feeling like Castlevania' a long time ago for the sake of actually enjoying this game) is the mention of the handholding. I really hope it's not as bad as they say. That shit really bothers me in games.

NeoUltima said:
Not digging Gamespot's view of the game. I think they are digging too much on unoriginality, especially when they concedes what it copies it does very well.

It felt like a very strained review. Like he wanted to hate it but it doesn't suck. "This combat is very... good... even though... fuuufff.... it's..."

Segata Sanshiro said:
The only thing in the Gamespot review that I worry about (since I gave up on originality and 'feeling like Castlevania' a long time ago for the sake of actually enjoying this game)

Some reviews have said that it retains the CV feel, others report differently. Everyone has their own experiences with the franchise but I think people who have been around since the beginning will find it to be closer to the series than those who started with say SOTN. Personally I don't think it's going to "feel" like any Castlevania game, I just expect it to carry over just enough elements for me to consider it to be a natural evolution.

Phenomic

Cloudius12 said:

Like really? I never understand how you give anything some obscure number such as this? How can you incrementally value something to be .9 and not give it a whole number. What was the nail in the coffin that prevented it from getting it an 8?

Who was it I think in some random post ShockingAlberto had the best idea for a rating system. Something to the effect of... Buy, Rent, Don't Even Bother Renting etc.

Pachinko

The reason for the 7.9 is that it knocks it out of great territory and into good territory , he even mentions as much while narrating it.

Basically, combat is awesome but grows a bit tiresome given the games colossal length, the puzzles are too often so obtuse it's impossible to figure out what to do , the controls for everything other then fighting aren't as perfect as they need to be leading to all too many cheap deaths and too much of the game is spent wondering what to do and where to go next.

Sounds like a bloated hollywood film, as if they could have somehow hired an editor to shave off 30% of the game and cleanup what was left it'd be a better experience.

~Kinggi~

Banned
oh god why do the mainstream sites gotta be shittin on the game. I mean you got guys giving it 9's and then you got these 7's. Fuckin gonna hurt sales im sure.

the game’s post-credit ending, which is among the coolest video game finales this millennium.

fuck yeah!

Pachinko said:
The reason for the 7.9 is that it knocks it out of great territory and into good territory , he even mentions as much while narrating it.

Basically, combat is awesome but grows a bit tiresome given the games colossal length, the puzzles are too often so obtuse it's impossible to figure out what to do , the controls for everything other then fighting aren't as perfect as they need to be leading to all too many cheap deaths and too much of the game is spent wondering what to do and where to go next.

Sounds like a bloated hollywood film, as if they could have somehow hired an editor to shave off 30% of the game and cleanup what was left it'd be a better experience.

but just to play devil's advocate, I could easily see them say shit like it's too short or it didn't do anything outside of just fighting. Developers can't really win in these situations it seems

brandonh83 said:
oh my god am I dreaming here
Okay, that's hot.

Anyway, I still haven't seen much that gives it the Castlevania feel to me, and though you are slyly suggesting it's just people who started with SotN that would feel that way, I'm probably as old-bones a Castlevania fan here as anyone. I was not exaggerating when I said either earlier in here or in another thread that eight of the consoles I own were bought for a Castlevania game. We'll see in the end but I think it's best if I go in expecting little to nothing or else the game's not going to have a chance.

NeoUltima

~Kinggi~ said:
oh god why do the mainstream sites gotta be shittin on the game. I mean you got guys giving it 9's and then you got these 7's. Fuckin gonna hurt sales im sure.
Yeah...I want to see a sequel, especially with the way the games ending is being hyped up. But low reviews from GT and GS will hurt sales a lot :(. Kinda unfortunate, the two lowest scores are from two of the websites with the biggest influence on sales. Hopefully IGN isn't as bad.

Seems the game may have some pacing/tedium issues, which is something that can be adjusted easily in a sequel, if the first game sells well enough that is :( Uncharted 1 had similar complaints levied against it, and we all know how well the sequel turned out.

Are there any mentions which console version is better?

I'm planning on picking up the 360 version IF I can install both discs. But I want to make sure that both versions are the same and not another Bayonetta situation.

Segata Sanshiro said:
and though you are slyly suggesting it's just people who started with SotN that would feel that way

Nah, I just meant that this game seems to have more fundamentals in common with the beginnings of the series. A Belmont fighting his way through the forces of darkness in a serious tone as opposed to the colorful anime style that a few of the Metroidvanias had, and that it's more straightforward. There's exploration and puzzle solving, but it's not like in Metroidvania how you have one giant, inter-connected area to explore. This is more level-based. It honestly feels like a 3D combination of a few Castlevania styles.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Are there any mentions which console version is better?

I'm planning on picking up the 360 version IF I can install both discs. But I want to make sure that both versions are the same and not another Bayonetta situation.

Gamespot has said that the 360 version has framerate problems.

Oh and the framerate looks just fine from the video reviews, the Gametrailers review in particular made the game look absolutely outstanding. My jaw dropped more than once while watching it and the combat/gameplay looks smooth.

Van Owen

Banned
Cloudius12 said:
Gamespot has said that the 360 version has framerate problems.

Yeah, they showed some weird stutters in the video review. It's also on 2 discs too, right?

PS3 version seems like a no-brainer.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Segata Sanshiro said:
Okay, that's hot.

Anyway, I still haven't seen much that gives it the Castlevania feel to me, and though you are slyly suggesting it's just people who started with SotN that would feel that way, I'm probably as old-bones a Castlevania fan here as anyone. I was not exaggerating when I said either earlier in here or in another thread that eight of the consoles I own were bought for a Castlevania game. We'll see in the end but I think it's best if I go in expecting little to nothing or else the game's not going to have a chance.

I was really afraid that the game wouldn't have good platforming, and this is really good news for me. I was down on the game at first, but I'm almost sure I'm getting the game now.

The Castlevania fan in me can't help it!

mjc

I'm just surprised that this turned out great overall. I remember when it was announced that Mercurysteam was doing it, I thought, "oh great the Jericho devs...Castlevania is in trouble."

So glad I was wrong about these guys.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
mjc said:
I'm just surprised that this turned out great overall. I remember when it was announced that Mercurysteam was doing it, I thought, "oh great the Jericho devs...Castlevania is in trouble."

I'm not like, a development guru by any stretch of the imagination, but it's been proven time and time again that good direction and strong vision can shape a game as much as the talent in a development team. This seems to be the case here.

Still can't tell if this is worth preordering. The price will drop like a rock after release and I'm not sure if it's something I can't just wait a few months to play.

Right now it's preordered on Amazon for $39 but I wish I could get a demo.

NeoUltima

brandonh83 said:
Well it would be nice to play it, and they promised we'd get the demo a week before the game comes out.
I blame Sony. It had to have passed certification cause it is on PSplus EU. I think they decided not to give it to help promote PSplus. That and the PSstore update was pretty big and they want to hold it until next week.

forrest

formerly nacire
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
That's it, right? I know Darksiders had something similar and it was fixed easily with a patch.

Darksiders had a tearing issue due to v-sync not being enabled. Watching the demo vids I didn't see much tearing or slowdown. I'm assuming other parts of the game have the fps issues.

mjc said:

I picked up Jericho since it was cheap now just to see how Mercury Steam did with the game.

To my surprise, the game was well-made. I mean, not necessarily the gameplay or the shooting because you can tell Jericho was made on a limited budget. But the monster design, animation, and the creepy factor in the monsters were very good.

It was enough to ease my doubts about their talents and Lords of Shadow.

Kittonwy

Banned
Watched the gamespot and gametrailers reviews, what's wrong with them? They clearly pointed out the game's strengths and weaknesses, the game looks pretty good but were people expecting 9s for this game?
Indifferent2.gif

Deware80

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Watched the gamespot and gametrailers reviews, what's wrong with them? They clearly pointed out the game's strengths and weaknesses, the game looks pretty good but were people expecting 9s for this game?
Indifferent2.gif

Umm, the game is getting 9's.

Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif

your attitude is awesome, you should post more.

NeoUltima said:
Yeah, I hate it when reviewers review games like that. It's like when Darksiders was reviewed. Some sites gave it a 6 but still said the game is good. I hate reviews that heavily criticize games just because it may borrow from other games. Who cares if it's done really well and still good?

And just to throw this out here, the Gamespot reviewer also gave Brutal Legend a 8.5 and Harmony of Despair a 7.5.

FrankT

Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif

Well yea, it's got 4 9's out of 6 for the 6 360 reviews I've seen so far. On average I expect around 8.5-9.

vesp

damnt gamespot you made me cancel my 360 version order on amazon to get the ps3 version instead and then i noticed the 20 dollar credit was gone!

now im gonna have to go with newegg and not get release date shipping.

Dartastic

Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif
Gamespot seemed to be looking for reasons to be all "meh." Gametrailers seemed to have some fair critiques, imo. I just don't think they'll really have much bearing on my enjoyment of the game. ...and pretty much everyone else has been giving this game 9's and above, so, um, yes. People are expecting 9's.

Anyone know of any screenshots that were just released today so I can put them in the OP? Gamespot has some new ones but the quality is pretty terrible.

FrankT

vesp said:
damnt gamespot you made me cancel my 360 version order on amazon to get the ps3 version instead and then i noticed the 20 dollar credit was gone!

now im gonna have to go with newegg and not get release date shipping.

I would have waited to see on that. Gamepro Germany said they both suffered in that department (like the PS3 demo at 24fps) the only difference was more vibrant colors on the 360 version. I believe one other review site said they were pretty much the same.

Fortinbras said:
More reviews:

GamePro (Germany): 88% - colors more vibrant in the 360 version, no other differences, review video: http://www.gamepro.de/index.cfm?pid=386&pk=2894
eurogamer.net: 8/10
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-28-castlevania-lords-of-shadow-review

Fortinbras said:
They mention some technical flaws like slowdowns and low-res textures. Seems to be for both versions though.

Meristation;

Relaxed Muscle said:
I think it means getting the 100% of all stages, the reviewer talks about secret zones and mysteries.

Also, the full review mentions, no visual differences between both versions, take that as you want.

Top Bottom