• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
God Damn... in so many ways this game seems to be the realization of a dream I've had ever since I played Mario 64 for the first time and thought "OMG WHAT IF THEY DID THIS WITH CASTLEVANIA"

If I had seen these trailers when I was 12 I would have literally shit myself.

Shurs

Phloxy said:
This thread just proves that their is too much emphasis on review scores still. Shit will never change.

It's fun to watch people lose their shit over 7.5's and 7.9's.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
also it seems fitting:

I always loved Devil May Cry since it felt like the 3D Castlevania that I always wanted.

Now as DMC falls into the hands of fucking Ninja Theory, Castlevania rises from the ashes like fucking Aragorn returning to fucking Gondor.

Fuck.

Shurs said:
It's fun to watch people lose their shit over 7.5's and 7.9's.

nothing tops a good 8.8 though.

Kodiak said:
also it seems fitting:

I always loved Devil May Cry since it felt like the 3D Castlevania that I always wanted.

Now as DMC falls into the hands of fucking Ninja Theory, Castlevania rises from the ashes like fucking Aragorn returning to fucking Gondor.

Fuck.

This is going into the OP when I add some more stuff to it.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Be weird if Enslaved ended up getting meta-critiqued higher than LOS since there's such a flip-flop of opinions on that one after the demo. o_0

Feindflug

Very good scores and reviews in general thus far, I'm definitely getting the game day one but I still haven't decided which version to get...most of the reviewers say that there is no difference between the two versions but suddenly GS says that the 360 version has frame-rate problems - I guess I'll have to wait for the Digital Foundry Face-off and then decide.

Reviews/scores are better than Darksiders which I loved so I'm sure I'll love this one too, we need more action/adventure games this gen. :)

glaurung

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of punishing difficulty and challenging combat. The recent games have either been a pushover on the hardest difficulty (Dante's Inferno, Darksiders, Bioshock 2 spring to mind) or completely broken on the hardest difficulty (Mafia II damn you).

I don't care about the scores dropping below 9.0, I've pre-ordered the game and cannot wait.

Paladin Difficulty, I choose you!

MadOdorMachine said:
Hopefully he'll make a game for 3DS that won't suck. It could go either way.

if this game is successful better get ready for GoW PSP style castlevania on handhelds. i can't see them reusing the same old sprites, or redraw them in higher resolution :lol

IGA wouldn't fit into this concept.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
meh...none of the criticism in the reviews so far bothers me. The fact that the game is 20 hours long is a pleasant surprise.

I think the GameTrailers criticism is fair in some respects. It seems like they wanted more God of War and less Tomb Raider/Uncharted. They also sounded like they liked the linearity of the game world. For me, I'd rather have a Metroidvania/Arkham Asylum like world though.

Nonetheless the game looks good. I'm looking forward to it.

neojubei said:
Sucks there is no demo tonight, sigh not even on 360. hopefully it will be up in the UK store tomorrow.
Is the demo the same as the E3/GC/PAX/TGS demo/exclusive PSN demo? I think thats a bad move if it is. People have seen that stuff over and over and I think other areas of the game would probably demo better based on what I saw in the GT video review. Its a good thing Konami is allowing everyone to review this game early, because the reviews are probably showing the game in a better light than the demo. In fact, they are probably better off not releasing the demo until after the game comes out.

manzo

Kagari said:
360 got the port this time, not surprising.

Never ever trust Gamespot when it comes to comparing games. They actually said that GTA IV was better on PS3 when the game run at a lower framerate AND lower resolution.

I'm waiting for the digital foundry comparison. Then I'll pull the trigger on the better version.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I preordered the PS3 version for the fact that my other recent purchases (Reach, Fable 3 and Fallout NV) are 360 games. I like to mix them up so one console doesn't outweigh the other.

Kaldea

Gr1mLock said:
meh...none of the criticism in the reviews so far bothers me. The fact that the game is 20 hours long is a pleasant surprise.
Same. More playtime is a GOOD thing to me, especially when I pay full price. If it starts feeling drawn out, I'll take a break or something.

Kaldea said:
Same. More playtime is a GOOD thing to me, especially when I pay full price. If it starts feeling drawn out, I'll take a break or something.

Yeah. It is a rare occasion when I'm playing a game that I really like but feel that it's too long or padded.

Joei

I've been wanting this game for a while but I'm going to have to hold off. With Alan Wake sitting here virtually unplayed and Metroid suffering the same thing as well, and the fact that I can't put Demon's Souls down, I can't afford to get another game I'm not going to play, lol. I look forward to reading everyone's reviews and opinions of the game though. :) I also think I'll have to give the demo a try when I see it.

DSmalls84

Glad I decided to preorder the ps3 version this time. From some of the reviews I watched the game looked pretty awesome, even if it did lose some points for being derivative.

Watching the GT review something came up that I never understood; why is it MetroidVania? It's just Metroid what people usually reffer to when saying MetroidVania.

depths20XX

Definetly not buying it unless I get to try the combat out in a demo.

What's the reasoning behind a European only demo release? Seems real fucking stupid.

Prime crotch said:
Watching the GT review something came up that I never understood; why is it MetroidVania? It's just Metroid what people usually reffer to when saying MetroidVania.

Because they are Castlevania games in the style of Metroid? It's also to distinguish between the classic Castlevanias and the SotN and onward games.

linkboy

Prime crotch said:

The older Castlevania games (the NES, SNES and TG-16) games were level based. Reach the end of a level, fight a boss, go to the next level (except for Castlevania 2 on the NES). When Symphony of the Night came out, the game resembled a Metroid game. You had a huge map and had to backtrack a lot to fully complete the game. The later games in the series (the GBA\DS games) follow this setup.

As for this game, I've got it pre-ordered for the 360, can't wait to play it.

Denzar

Mt Heart Attack said:
Hasn't it already been updated?

edit: apparently yes, and without the demo:p Well just download it using an European account.
FUCK

I couldn't find it like 5 minutes ago. :D

Top Bottom