• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

JohngPR

burgerdog said:
I'm not convinced that the cutscenes are pre-rendered. Why wouldn't they use better shadow filtering and AA if they were?

They can be prerendered using the in-game art assets. A lot of developers do that.

JohngPR

burgerdog said:
I know that. As others have said, FFXIII, U2, and GoW3 are prime examples of this.

I'm a little LTTP with my reply. In my world, I replied to that as soon as it was posted (I just saw it 5 mintutes ago).

:lol

Ughhh just couldn't resist after seeing my mom and pop store has it!!! :(

IMG_0183.jpg

Phloxy

Jtyettis said:
Great to hear! Gamepro Germany did mention something about the colors. One thing though did you install both discs? Playing all installed from the second disc? Should be able to install from menu on the first and dashboard on the second. Can you confirm?

Well I did love Bayonetta, but man there are so many good to great games coming this month. The demo was great.

I installed both discs from the dashboard and just started from the second

Phenomic

polyh3dron said:
If I didn't have my Amazon order with $20 credit I'd go to my local store too, they already have their copies...

This is how I feel, If I couldn't get the dang game for 50 at Kmart w/ a 20 Dollar Coupon I might be playing it right now. Soo jealous.

Edit*

brandonh83 said:
marketing purposes

Wouldn't they have wanted to put the Kojima logo instead I thought they were going to do that.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What kind of stores are you guys finding this at?

Most of the "mom and pop" shops around here only carry used stuff or receive things in small quantities. I doubt any of them would have received something like this.

Phenomic said:
Wouldn't they have wanted to put the Kojima logo instead I thought they were going to do that.

It was a joke but yeah, if the game performs well enough it should give them more credit. If they had put the Kojipro logo on there instead I would have busted someone's nuts.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The mom n' pop store near me usually gets stuff early, but Castlevania is the exception for some reason.

brandonh83 said:
It was a joke but yeah, if the game performs well enough it should give them more credit. If they had put the Kojipro logo on there instead I would have busted someone's nuts.
Bustin'...makes you feel good?

Phenomic

brandonh83 said:

Yeah I mean I'm not trying to say it was necessarily the right or most honest thing Konami could have done but that logo probably would have sold some copies. Makes me think some people see that fox and automatically relate it to quality.

Erasus

I really like the demo actually, hope I can get this for cheap after the holidays :D And that I remember that it exists :lol

Wizpig

CaptYamato said:
I think this might be my favorite cover of the year. Especially the LE cover.
Which i won't get, since it's €100 and has a stupid mask i don't want.

I wanted the US LE.

I'll get the vanilla EUR version... sigh.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
CaptYamato said:
I think this might be my favorite cover of the year. Especially the LE cover.

The LE cover is good. The regular cover is bland and bordering on awful. i can't stand CG covers.

Foffy

Banned
Up to Chapter 4 already, and I'm really digging the game. I'm surprised at how difficult the game is, as I've died a lot more than I did in Lament of Innocence. And that's counting The Forgotten One.

The art design in the game is fucking fantastic, and while I may stare at the screen in a state of confusion when I see naked pixies on screen in a Castlevania game, the style is clearly expertly presented. I just wished for the more gothic style but that's more of an eventuality instead of an if. The story on the other hand seems a bit flakey at the moment..even with the fancy bells and whistles of the voice cast, it really comes off very similar to some of the more recent titles when it comes to narrative in that it's a bit too straightforward, which is fine that it doesn't bog itself down. It's just there are already some scenes I've come across that I think would have been a bit more interesting with more exposition. In a sense the game is very retro; you literally press start, change the brightness, and choose a difficulty. It doesn't bog around with options when you first load it up. Maybe some of the scenes are supposed to reflect this mentality as well.

+5 for
the Portal reference in the game via one of the scrolls
, too.

Teknoman

Foffy said:
Up to Chapter 4 already, and I'm really digging the game. I'm surprised at how difficult the game is, as I've died a lot more than I did in Lament of Innocence. And that's counting The Forgotten One.

The art design in the game is fucking fantastic, and while I may stare at the screen in a state of confusion when I see naked pixies on screen in a Castlevania game, the style is clearly expertly presented. I just wished for the more gothic style but that's more of an eventuality instead of an if. The story on the other hand seems a bit flakey at the moment..even with the fancy bells and whistles of the voice cast, it really comes off very similar to some of the more recent titles when it comes to narrative in that it's a bit too straightforward, which is fine that it doesn't bog itself down. It's just there are already some scenes I've come across that I think would have been a bit more interesting with more exposition. In a sense the game is very retro; you literally press start, change the brightness, and choose a difficulty. It doesn't bog around with options when you first load it up. Maybe some of the scenes are supposed to reflect this mentality as well.

+5 for
the Portal reference in the game via one of the scrolls
, too.

Dont forget alot of the female enemies in Castlevania were naked, just not very detailed. Then again I havent seen how the pixies you're talking about actually look.

Can't wait to see my limited edition packaging in a few days. God damn I love artbooks and goodies! The impressions here at GAF only make the wait that much harder.

Zeal

Banned
i feel ya. i called every podunk mom and pops gamestore trying to coerce an early release outta'em. either it wasn't there yet or...

fear-and-loathing.jpg

"They were lying to me. I could see it in their eyes."

thetrin

brandonh83 said:
Same, but admittedly, this one is one of the least offensive I've seen. It is a nice, simple image.

True, but there's pretty much no reason not to use the fantastic painted art, other than the fact that the only people that attend focus groups are slack jawed yokels.

Square Triangle said:
Tuesday..where the fuck are you? I got a chance to take a look at the CE and my God, best cover art this gen- just gorgeous.

You saw it in person? What's the actual packaging like?

I'm up to Chapter II, and so far it's a solid action game. Not amazing or best thing ever, but solid and enjoyable. The camera could be better, and the combat is a tad clunky compared to GOW3(yeah I went there, lol. Closest comparison IMO), but it plays well enough. Visually it looks pretty good; not the best graphics I've seen but definitely above average. I like the art style. I believe if most go in with realistic expectations they will be pleased. If you're expecting GOTY quality you might be let down a bit. Granted I'm still early in the game, so things could ramp up a bit still.

LowParry

perineumlick said:
I'm up to Chapter II, and so far it's a solid action game. Not amazing or best thing ever, but solid and enjoyable. The camera could be better, and the combat is a tad clunky compared to GOW3(yeah I went there, lol. Closest comparison IMO), but it plays well enough. Visually it looks pretty good; not the best graphics I've seen but definitely above average. I like the art style. I believe if most go in with realistic expectations they will be pleased. If you're expecting GOTY quality you might be let down a bit. Granted I'm still early in the game, so things could ramp up a bit still.

Go beat the game then give us your impression. Fuck the first two chapters impressions. :lol And tell us if there is more or less of classic Castlevania music through the game.

NeoUltima

And 1up Review, B
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3181679

"This won't replace Symphony of the Night as the oft-argued greatest Castlevania, but it should finally at least put to rest complaints that there are no good 3D Castlevania games. If Lords of Shadow sees a sequel, there are lots of important, obvious improvements that need to be made, but Mercury Steam proves that they're at least on the right track. "

Nice review. Well written, good points.

1up said:
"This won't replace Symphony of the Night as the oft-argued greatest Castlevania"

Symphony of the Night is Castlevania's own Final Fantasy VII it seems.

Anyway, adding 1UP review, changed the product information with European LE image.

Top Bottom