• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I know this has been asked and answered several times, but is there a demo up on USXBL? I went to xbox.com and it didn't have the option to download, and they gave a TBD for the US release date.

Dascu

brandonh83 said:
I swear to g---

I just asked you guys to not do this on the last page. It was a simple request. Dascu, as far as I'm concerned, you said that your big spoiler-tagged post wasn't anything bad but that you would do it anyway, fine.

but SICKBOY

Meet me under the willow tree at 3:30
Hell man, I didn't recognise you with that avatar.

Dascu said:
Hell man, I didn't recognise you with that avatar.

:lol I have avatar ADD, what can I say.

anyway your post was fine, it was impressions but spoiler-tagged just to be safe, but these posts that outright discuss the ending need to go-- at least for now. game isn't even out yet.

Teknoman

mescalineeyes said:
Graphically better than Uncharted 2? That's a laughable opinion to have.

I am currently at the bossfight that is ripped straight from a Sony game and I am beyond annoyed with what a pathetic rip-off it is. I am considering not touching this game again, and it's not just due to the creative bankruptcy.

But yeah, it's pretty and runs well. Playing on 360.

Giant stone bosses with various weakpoints arent something exclusive to Shadow of the Colossus or God of War.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Question, I don't know if it's a spoiler or not but since everyone is bitchy I'll spoiler it:

Is Dracula's Castle (the SONG from SOTN) in the game?

Teknoman said:
Giant stone bosses with various weakpoints arent something exclusive to Shadow of the Colossus or God of War.

IdQYQ.gif

okay maybe not any weak points but it's still a big ass stone boss that made me shit myself when I was a youngster.

RS4-

Uhh, I don't know if it's a glitch or what but I backtracked to one level and one event doesn't trigger so I can't get across a gap :lol

I'll post a vid of getting stuck in the air which is kind of normal I suppose in 3d platformers like this.

andymcc

Banned
mescalineeyes said:
Graphically better than Uncharted 2? That's a laughable opinion to have.

I am currently at the bossfight that is ripped straight from a Sony game and I am beyond annoyed with what a pathetic rip-off it is. I am considering not touching this game again, and it's not just due to the creative bankruptcy.

But yeah, it's pretty and runs well. Playing on 360.
I quit playing uncharted when I realized the plot was like an even worse romancing the stone... what a creatively bankrupt game.

anddo0

How does Amazon release day shipping work? If I preorder it today will I get it on Tuesday?

I know the what the site, just want to be safe.

anddo0 said:
How does Amazon release day shipping work? If I preorder it today will I get it on Tuesday?

I know the what the site, just want to be safe.

if you pre-order and select one-day shipping it should get there on Tuesday. it's worked for me every time.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
andymcc said:
I quit playing uncharted when I realized the plot was like an even worse romancing the stone... what a creatively bankrupt game.

So you played a game for its story? Very nice.

Foffy

Banned
Finished the game a few hours ago. I really liked it...up until the final stage. Then I thought everything collapsed in such a magnificent way that I couldn't comprehend what the hell went wrong.

I won't explain further until the game comes out, because saying ANYTHING within that section of the game is such a big fucking nono. I don't know what side of the fence people will be on when they see/play it for themselves, that's for sure. :lol

Foffy said:
I won't explain further until the game comes out, because saying ANYTHING within that section of the game is such a big fucking nono. I don't know what side of the fence people will be on when they see it for themselves, that's for sure. :lol

I like the sound of this. I enjoy polarizing opinions. :lol

'bout how long was the game for you?

Dascu

brandonh83 said:
I like the sound of this. I enjoy polarizing opinions. :lol

'bout how long was the game for you?
From watching the stream, it took the player about 5 hours to get from Chapter VII to Chapter XII (the ending). I'm thinking the 20 hour number from certain (p)reviews is about the time it would take you to 100% the game.

LowParry

Foffy said:
Finished the game a few hours ago. I really liked it...up until the final stage. Then I thought everything collapsed in such a magnificent way that I couldn't comprehend what the hell went wrong.

I won't explain further until the game comes out, because saying ANYTHING within that section of the game is such a big fucking nono. I don't know what side of the fence people will be on when they see/play it for themselves, that's for sure. :lol

So how was that music?

Foffy

Banned
CcrooK said:
So how was that music?

Mediocre. I recalled a whopping two tracks from older games, both of which have been mentioned in the thread. The rest is just background flair, with no sense of style or "emotion" every other title in the series encompasses, to varying degrees.

Alastor

Foffy said:

Don't worry, everything will be explained in DLC!

I'm glad the game is great / awesome, will buy the "everything on disc" edition next year.

LowParry

Foffy said:
Mediocre. I recalled a whopping two tracks from older games, both of which have been mentioned in the thread. The rest is just background flair, with no sense of style or "emotion" every other title in the series encompasses, to varying degrees.

Man. What a drag. Though I'll wait to hear it for myself.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
So does this game have any open-endedness, kind of like the Metroidvanias or is it very straight forward? I've been playing Darksiders are really digging the way that game is laid out.

ZeroRay

Darkmakaimura said:
So does this game have any open-endedness, kind of like the Metroidvanias or is it very straight forward? I've been playing Darksiders are really digging the way that game is laid out.

Stage based, but there are many secrets laid out in each one.

Teknoman said:
Right, but combined with platforming around his body to reach those weakpoints, AND holding R2 at times when he shakes so you don't get thrown off? Are you really going to attribute that to mere coincidence? At least GoW switched it up, this battle was straight from a reject SoTC.
EDIT: oh, and I'll be continuing my stream after the Jets game, for anyone who cares.

Foffy said:

From what I've heard I'm going to have to disagree with this, at least for now until I actually get through it. every video I've seen has had some very beautiful music and Gabriel has a fantastic theme, very memorable and "hummable" that seemed to reoccur which is something I'm very fond of, being a big fan of thematic film scores. That said, your opinion and you've actually beaten it and I'm not trying to shoot it down, but it seems that I'm going to have a more positive opinion about the score.

I have to ask though, in what capacity does Vampire Killer appear? Not a spoiler, it's in the OP, but tag it for me at least, if only for the sensitive.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Foffy said:
Really? As someone else noted, every track I've heard thus far has been fantastic. I hate this expectation that the music should have either existed in a previous game or at least have a similar style.

Dascu

brandonh83 said:
From what I've heard I'm going to have to disagree with this, at least for now until I actually get through it. every video I've seen has had some very beautiful music and Gabriel has a fantastic theme, very memorable and "hummable" that seemed to reoccur which is something I'm very fond of, being a big fan of thematic film scores. That said, your opinion and you've actually beaten it and I'm not trying to shoot it down, but it seems that I'm going to have a more positive opinion about the score.

I have to ask though, in what capacity does Vampire Killer appear? Not a spoiler, it's in the OP, but tag it for me at least, if only for the sensitive.

There's a level where it constantly plays in the background and the gameplay actually revolves around it. Difficult to explain without spoiling anything. There's no big orchestral rendition of it though, at least not that I noticed.

The music in general is standard orchestral "epic" music, as heard in the trailers. Nothing as memorable as the previous soundtracks in the series if you ask me.

Dascu said:
There's a level where it constantly plays in the background and the gameplay actually revolves around it. Difficult to explain without spoiling anything. There's no big orchestral rendition of it though, at least not that I noticed.

c6M1b.gif

Mana Sin

Revolutionary said:
Right, but combined with platforming around his body to reach those weakpoints, AND holding R2 at times when he shakes so you don't get thrown off? Are you really going to attribute that to mere coincidence? At least GoW switched it up, this battle was straight from a reject SoTC.
EDIT: oh, and I'll be continuing my stream after the Jets game, for anyone who cares.

Can you post before you start with a link? I am living this game through you.

Foffy

Banned
brandonh83 said:

It largely comes into the game as a nickname for the Combat Cross and a reference some villagers make of the weapon when you get the item to impale enemies, if I recall correctly. Which in turn references Rinaldo Gandolfi, the guy who had the real whip that became the Vampire Killer in the main canon.

Or did you mean the song? >_>

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I thought you meant the weapon too :lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
andymcc said:

Hi, my name is Andymcc, and I don't understand the concept of narrative allusion and homage!

Despera

Banned
Dascu said:
The music in general is standard orchestral "epic" music, as heard in the trailers. Nothing as memorable as the previous soundtracks in the series if you ask me.

The era of memorable catchy tunes is long gone. Embrace the full-blown orchestra!

I can't judge the OST just yet, but what I've heard sounds absolutely gorgeous.

Music can still be catchy and memorable via orchestration. Look at Mario Galaxy, Uncharted, etc.

I don't think this score will be as "catchy" as most of the older titles, but that doesn't mean it can't be fantastic in its own right with its own incredible themes (which I've heard) and subtle throwbacks to soundtracks of yesterday (which I've heard). I'll miss the Michiru tracks, but you won't find me complaining about something of high quality of any sort.

That being said, Gabriel's theme is the best videogame theme I have heard all year.

thetrin

CaptYamato said:
I think that was sarcasm.

I CAN'T TELL OVER THE INTERNET! PEOPLE NEED TO USE A SMILY OR SOMETHING!

thetrin said:
I CAN'T TELL OVER THE INTERNET! PEOPLE NEED TO USE A SMILY OR SOMETHING!

It seemed genuine to me as well. That being said, I agree with him, Uncharted has pretty bad plots dressed up with generally good dialogue writing and presentation. Uncharted 2's plot was notably bad compared to the first game, it had some serious ADD writing issues whereas the first one was a bit more straightforward but always stuck to the point.

Teknoman

thetrin said:
I thought you meant the weapon too :lol

I'm just glad both are sorta in.

Sad to hear there isnt anything as catchy in the game as past Castlevanias, but i'm glad at least one/two of the classics are in.

Also whats there doesnt sound that bad/generic or anything, so thats a plus.

That boss battle does sound kinda straight SotC though as far as mechanics go.

What difficulty are you guys playing btw?

EDIT: Yeah Brandon and Despera have the right idea. I think that was Metroid Other M's problem. Metroid Prime series had remixes, and while the original pieces were alot more complex, they were still great tracks. Other M...not so much (even though what was there, fit well).

Lords of Shadow seems to follow the Metroid Prime style...from what i've heard so far.

The hunting path is awesome.

Foffy

Banned
Teknoman said:
I'm just glad both are sorta in.

Sad to hear there isnt anything as catchy in the game as past Castlevanias, but i'm glad at least one/two of the classics are in.

Also whats there doesnt sound that bad/generic or anything, so thats a plus.

That boss battle does sound kinda straight SotC though as far as mechanics go.

What difficulty are you guys playing btw?

The issue I have with the music is near the end, it's like the music is just...there. It's not there to drive almost anything past the vampire arc of the game, I felt. And some songs are repeated a little too often.

I was playing on Normal, and I died quite a lot, which was great. :D

Top Bottom