• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

LowParry

brandonh83 said:

Shots fired! Shots fired!

25gck5j.jpg

Dartastic said:
...you know what I mean. I want another Metroidvania style game. =(

Symphony of the Night
Circle of the Moon
Harmony of Dissonance
Aria of Sorrow
Dawn of Sorrow
Portrait of Ruin
Order of Ecclesia

6 out of those 7 are amazing to me. I'm satisfied. Time to move on.

Foffy said:
If by anime you mean Misaki's artwork (Order of Ecclesia) we need more of that. :D

Ecclesia had great art, I just don't really like the cartoony nature of some of the handheld games. I'd rather the general atmosphere be closer to Lords of Shadow than the anime style.

Teknoman said:
Yup, new era of Castlevania time I guess?

It's been long overdue. I know they tried a few times and pretty much just said "screw it we'll make more Metroidvanias" but now it seems someone finally got it right. I honestly wouldn't mind getting more 2D games, if they're like Adventure Rebirth on WiiWare-- not Metroidvanias, but level-based.

Phenomic

brandonh83 said:
Symphony of the Night
Circle of the Moon
Harmony of Dissonance
Aria of Sorrow
Dawn of Sorrow
Portrait of Ruin
Order of Ecclesia

You really think they should never make another Metroidvania style again? Seems kinda lame, perhaps they should just space them out better maybe make another one after Lords then do a Lords Sequel switch off and on kinda deal. Also throw in an old school one maybe here and there.

Phenomic said:
You really think they should never make another Metroidvania style again? Seems kinda lame, perhaps they should just space them out better maybe make another one after Lords then do a Lords Sequel switch off and on kinda deal. Also throw in an old school one maybe here and there.

Nah I wouldn't be against that. But being a big fan of the series, in particularly the older level based installments I would like a bit more variety than just a bunch of more Metroidvanias. If they spaced them out and kept adding newer, fresher elements and segregating them from one another a bit better, I wouldn't mind. LOS though, I'm excited because it's a good-looking 3D Castlevania with a level-based structure and should provide a considerably different experience. Even if they don't get it perfectly the first time, there are already a lot of well-spoken criticism so they can take those to heart next time.

That being said, I don't think Iga should be taken off the series, as long as he isn't the only one making Castlevania games. I think Castlevania can exist in a number of different styles, be it 3D, 2D platforming, 2D Metroidvania style, etc. but I don't want to see the same formula being beaten into the ground.

Teknoman

Phenomic said:
brandonh83 said:
Symphony of the Night
Circle of the Moon
Harmony of Dissonance
Aria of Sorrow
Dawn of Sorrow
Portrait of Ruin
Order of Ecclesia

Well I wouldnt say never, just space them out. There haven't been too many stage based Castlevania games, so a few of those would do for awhile.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
brandonh83 said:
he can stay in the closet if he keeps his anime in there with him.

If it was a home console edition, he'd bring Ayami Kojima with him.

thetrin said:
If it was a home console edition, he'd bring Ayami Kojima with him.

Okay, just, I hope he would avoid the storytelling style that plagued the DS games, they really start awkwardly and continue to be awkward, like they wrote it in 5 minutes.

I realize they probably did, but I'd rather have absolutely no story at all than deal with that crap and some of the anime artwork didn't help out either.

gdt

I haven't been paying too much attention to this thread, can someone summarize the (so far) general GAF impressions?

Thinking about picking this up, just want some quick feedback.

Phenomic

gdt5016 said:
I haven't been paying too much attention to this thread, can someone summarize the (so far) general GAF impressions?

General outlook I've gathered probably more so with reviews and the few people that have the game is generally pretty positive. I'd say it seems most people think the game is pretty good with some issues that could be worked out better in future installments. Not sure the metacritic score or anything but B range is pretty much what we're looking at for an average. I'd say if you like this style of game play and love the dark gothicy feel of a Castlevania game you can't really go wrong here and I think you would enjoy it.

gdt5016 said:

Feedback has been pretty positive thus far. A few people who don't really like the God of War and Shadow of the Colossus influences but that was to be expected. Game is very long, taking most about 20 hours. Soundtrack is epic. A lot of climbing and scaling walls and jumping chasms using your cross chain but not really hard, old-school style platforming. A few classic tunes make their way back. Finally, you can ride an invisible horse if the game glitches on you.

CaptYamato said:
Some one in the comments called Bayo a GOW style game...

Mario Galaxy would have been great if it weren't a Jak and Daxter ripoff.

Anyway, just watching a couple of live stream replays, and I have to note, the way the map is laid out in the book looks almost identical to the Super Castlevania IV map style.

Simo

JohngPR said:
Unboxing of the 360 LE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8C7GPr4lX0

So the art book is essentially the case for the game. Looks cool but based on the few pages I saw, the art book is a bit weaksaue.

Wow, that is some sweet packaging. Not quite sure how I feel about the book not being separate from the case as a whole it sure looks purdy. 20 tracks for the OST and possibly not samplers? Awesome!

MYE

Downloaded the demo.....fuckin' hell this game is pretty.
Ugh i should've bought this instead of Demon's Souls.

CaptYamato said:
Some one in the comments called Bayo a GOW style game...

Yahtzee?

Simo said:
Wow, that is some sweet packaging. Not quite sure how I feel about the book not being separate from the case as a whole it sure looks purdy. 20 tracks for the OST and possibly not samplers? Awesome!

If it's 20 tracks and they all run between 3-5 minutes (or longer) I imagine it's what would be considered a full soundtrack release be a studio.

Now, studios typically don't bother putting all of the music on a film soundtrack, but game soundtracks are different because most of the time, games have a lot more music than a film does. Not all the time obviously, but a good number of them.

So, while this may be incomplete, most film scores are released with roughly 15 or so tracks but those hardly ever feature all of the music.

I imagine this may be the same. It may have all the important themes and a share of level music and boss fights, but it's still probably very incomplete.

Phenomic

MYE said:
Downloaded the demo.....fuckin' hell this game is pretty.
Ugh i should've bought this instead of Demon's Souls.

Non sense Demon Souls is one of the best games this generation. Going to take you some time to complete though so I would probably tell you to get and beat Castlevania before undertaking a game that hates you for playing it, but at the same time feels so fair. :lol Unless you mean now you have no additional cash for Castlevania now.

JohngPR

brandonh83 said:
Mario Galaxy would have been great if it weren't a Jak and Daxter ripoff

What the what? I love the Jak and Daxter series, but I don't see the connection outside of it being a third person platformer. .

Ranger X

Finally downloaded the demo.

I really like it (it really is God of War) but the FPS is under my standards. I really hope this slideshow is fixed in the final build. That would be my deal breaker.

Phenomic

Mana Sin said:
I'm kinda sad that I never played Demon's Souls.

It's never too late, also I think it just hit greatest hits so you can buy it at a low price.

Hmm anyone know why the quotes arn't working for me all of a sudden lol

LowParry

Ranger X said:

I really like it (it really is God of War) but the FPS is under my standards. I really hope this slideshow is fixed in the final build. That would be my deal breaker.

It's far from a slide show. :lol

i know its because i sucked but god i just couldn't keep interest in demons souls. the concept is cool and i liked the fighting system but i don't have time to blow 3 hours only to be killed and have to basically restart.... and i died a lot!

it was kind of trial and error game because sometimes you just got blindsided by shit. they needed to make a ninjadog style mode for players such as myself :(

Defunkled

Ranger X said:

:lol

Ranger X said:
I really hope this slideshow is fixed in the final build.

The only time I've seen the game in slideshow mode was on the 360 version while attacking a large group of enemies. That's the only exception I've witnessed thus far. Unless you're over exaggerating for whatever reason, saying that the framerate in the demo is a slideshow is hugely inaccurate :lol

Little tidbit, I made what I feel is a slightly better product information section complete with the NA and Euro LE pictures that you can click to get a better view.

Replicant

So I just downloaded the demo from Euro PSN but WTF IS WRONG with the command screens? It's VERY unresponsive. Each time there is a command (ie. adjust a screen resolution, press START to continue, etc) and I press the corresponding button, the game just doesn't respond at all. It takes many tries (and mashing the button) before I can proceed to the next screen.

At this rate, I won't even be able to play the demo.

The response times for the on-screen prompts are pretty bad. Didn't have trouble with the actual menus, but during gameplay when it says PRESS X TO CONTINUE, it takes a couple of seconds before it will respond to your button press.

Replicant said:
This sucks. Now I can't even proceed beyond the initial written story. It keeps saying "Press START button". Well, I am!!!

Okay well it sounds like your demo is messed up or something :lol

Teknoman

Replicant said:
This sucks. Now I can't even proceed beyond the initial written story. It keeps saying "Press START button". Well, I am!!!

Definitely a messed up demo. Never had any problems adjusting gamma or with button response times at the menu.

Replicant

brandonh83 said:
Okay well it sounds like your demo is messed up or something :lol

:( Ugh. I wonder if this is because my PS3 is from Japan (thus has the O as "YES" and X as "NO" as opposed to O as "NO" and X as "YES" on European consoles) and the demo is from Euro. But it doesn't explain the unresponsive START button either.

And it's definitely not my controller since I just boot up Vanquish demo and it's working perfectly.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Replicant said:
:( Ugh. I wonder if this is because my PS3 is from Japan (thus has the O as "YES" and X as "NO" as opposed to O as "NO" and X as "YES" on European consoles) and the demo is from Euro. But it doesn't explain the unresponsive START button either.

And it's definitely not my controller since I just boot up Vanquish demo and it's working perfectly.

Nope. It shouldn't be. My PS3 is Japanese as well.

Top Bottom