• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

brandonh83 said:
And bought. good to know about racers too, I won GT5 from Subway and should be getting that toward the end of this month :D

Estimated delivery October 5, 2010, right on schedule. Come on Tuesday.

If you have prime, which I think they're eligible for, there's a lot worse you could have wasted $5 on, if you don't end up liking them.

They took me a bit to get used to, but I'll never take them off now that I've gotten acclimated.

In fact, when I was playing the demo, I laughed cause I saw everyone bitching about the hold L2 for block/dodge... and I wondered whether or not those people had tried the triggers. :lol

Well it ended up being almost $16 after tax/one-day shipping but that's my fault for not being able to wait :lol

still that's very cheap for an online order and for something that will make games a bit better, I play a lot of MW2 on PS3 so they should come in handy for a lot more than just CV.

Phenomic

They are eligible for prime and I'm just wondering how much they would help with Castlevania. They would show up on the 6th for me with free Two Day Shipping or 3.99 to get them on Tuesday. Just debating if I care enough for a measly five dollars. Which granted isn't much even if I completely disliked them.

To avoid double posting, yeah it's 5 dollars. Both of your words have convinced me might as well give them a shot. Plus according to Amazon's Website I could trade them in for a .75 Cent Gift Card.

Phenomic said:
They are eligible for prime and I'm just wondering how much they would help with Castlevania. They would show up on the 6th for me with free Two Day Shipping or 3.99 to get them on Tuesday. Just debating if I care enough for a measly five dollars. Which granted isn't much even if I completely disliked them.

I ordered them on a whim, since I was thinking about buying Bayonetta for PS3 and thought the guy was serious about how much he thought they made a difference -- since I was already placing an order for one (and didn't need them immediately), I doubled the order, since I figured I'd rather end up hating them both rather than having to place a second order.

Turned out they're great -- now on the occasional time when I drop a controller and they manage to pop off, I freak and have to find them and get them back on immedately.

The long and the short of it is this: if you're playing a game for which you will be relying heavily on R2/L2, they'll probably be worth more than their weight in gold.

RS4-

Revolutionary said:
Just ended my stream for now, 3 and a half hours in and I'm halfway through Chapter 2. Had to give up on Hard difficulty at the beginning of Chapter 2 because enemies hit way too hard.

Anyway, I'm not sure how I feel about the game. It's a decent game so far but I can already tell I'm probably not going to like it that much by the end. The combat is fine for the most part (except for the fact that dodge and block are both on L2 - makes for many accidental rolls instead of a block), but the platforming is crap. It reminds me of Tomb Raider Underworld, in that the platforming is extremely finicky and one slight miscalculation and it's over. That'd be fine if the platforming didn't represent a sizeable chunk of the game, but so far it unfortunately has.
Also, the whole 'epic' feel to the game just comes off as trying to hard, in my eyes.

Lastly, the environments are absolutely confusing. Why the fuck can't I have a map of some kind??

Those are my first impressions.

I think I'm halfway through chapter 2 and I agree with what you've said. I'm not a huge fan of the platforming in this for the most part; while I do like how it was handled in Uncharted, the jumping and such bothers me in both this and "follow the arrows"-type play in Enslaved. Invisible walls and at times getting stuck between a dip in the rocks or trees on the ground or not seeing a grabbable ledge because it blends into the walls and pits that you don't realize are...actual "death" pits.

As for combat, I can see RT being a problem since it's used to grab enemies, bombs (I'm sure there are other items mobs will throw at you that you can pick up) and the grapple; it's bad enough that sometimes you can't see the grenades on the ground and when you do want to pick it up, you hook into an enemy instead :lol

I can understand what you're saying about the levels; that goddamn swamp was almost a huge circle.

JohngPR

Phenomic said:

To avoid double posting, yeah it's 5 dollars. Both of your words have convinced me might as well give them a shot. Plus according to Amazon's Website I could trade them in for a .75 Cent Gift Card.

I actually got triggers as a stocking stuffer last year for X-mas. i'll try to use them on the demo and let you know how I like them with this game. I couldn't get used to them for FPS' so I don't really use them. Now I just have to find them.

:lol

I don't have trouble with L2/R2 I just look at these and think it might be a bit more comfortable and "feel" better like the curved LT/RT on 360.

Teknoman

As far as platforming goes, I wouldnt really want it to be like Uncharted. I mean U1 and 2 were fun, but its not like you really needed to think about your jumps before making them.

At risk of justifying something without playing it, Castlevania games have had those kinds of jumps for awhile now.

JohngPR

I've never really had a problem with them, but it does annoy me that they press down when I set the DS3 down.

Anyway, found them!

aww1w6.jpg

I put the wife to bed a few minutes ago. Guess I'll take them for a test run.

:D

One of the only things I'm not digging about what I've seen so far is the angel wing-assisted double jump. I don't know if GOW invented that or what but despite the things that are borrowed from other games, for some reason that one just sticks out the most and rubs me the wrong way. I guess it may be that I think that since you have your Trusty Whip, that's all you should need to get across long jumps and chasms but whatever I still love you game

yeah John, try 'em out and let me know how they are.

Teknoman

:lol well I guess I have had one problem with the triggers:

Accidently killed that beat up looking merchant in Demon Souls (Bolataria area) when putting my controller down.

Aeana

brandonh83 said:
One of the only things I'm not digging about what I've seen so far is the angel wing-assisted double jump. I don't know if GOW invented that or what but despite the things that are borrowed from other games, for some reason that one just sticks out the most and rubs me the wrong way.
Alucard sprouts wings to double jump in SotN, so it's not even a first for the series.

Jesus. I must have seriously not been paying any attention whatsoever. I don't know how many times I've played through SOTN and not noticed that. christ I need a popsicle.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
RS4- said:
I think I'm halfway through chapter 2 and I agree with what you've said. I'm not a huge fan of the platforming in this for the most part; while I do like how it was handled in Uncharted, the jumping and such bothers me in both this and "follow the arrows"-type play in Enslaved. Invisible walls and at times getting stuck between a dip in the rocks or trees on the ground or not seeing a grabbable ledge because it blends into the walls and pits that you don't realize are...actual "death" pits.

As for combat, I can see RT being a problem since it's used to grab enemies, bombs (I'm sure there are other items mobs will throw at you that you can pick up) and the grapple; it's bad enough that sometimes you can't see the grenades on the ground and when you do want to pick it up, you hook into an enemy instead :lol

I can understand what you're saying about the levels; that goddamn swamp was almost a huge circle.
Uh oh. This sounds like something that would annoy me.

Does it make the purchase of the game a regret?

JohngPR

Alright, I played through the demo with the triggers and they worked pretty well. I think I might actually stick with them when I play the game.

When I used the trigger extensions, the contours of it lets you get to the triggers a little bit faster so I think it would relate to faster reaction time when dodging. Also, when I missed a block, it felt like a missed my window of opportunity by less time.

They do take a little getting used to. I'm so used to pressing all the way down to get to the triggers that I was pressing L2 too hard when I was dodging. Now the index finger on my left hand is sore.

:lol

EDIT: My sentence sounded awkward so I changed it around. It annoys me when I read a post of mine and it doesn't sound right. LOL

Man you guys are extremely finicky about minor issues. If I ignored a game every time I heard someone report something negative back from it my games library would be as vacant as the Bates Motel

Thanks for the impressions John, makes me feel better about spending $16 on two relatively small pieces of cheap plastic.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Teknoman said:
I never knew people had this much trouble using the PS3 triggers.

For me it's not so much the shape as I hate using a squishy analog button for a digital action. Feels like shit. I got used to it in Bayonetta, so I guess they're not the worst thing in the world, but I wouldn't miss them at all if they were replaced with normal shoulder buttons.

brandonh83 said:
One of the only things I'm not digging about what I've seen so far is the angel wing-assisted double jump. I don't know if GOW invented that or what but despite the things that are borrowed from other games, for some reason that one just sticks out the most and rubs me the wrong way. I guess it may be that I think that since you have your Trusty Whip, that's all you should need to get across long jumps and chasms but whatever I still love you game

yeah John, try 'em out and let me know how they are.
This is one of the problems with 3D platforming. Perceiving depth is tricky, and allowing the player a means of jump correction via a double jump is one way to alleviate that problem.

Zeal

Banned
i really don't see how current gen consoles are processing some of the shit i'm seeing a few hours into this game. the stages are so incredibly detailed that i'll simply stop just to look at minor things like birds and HDR lighting. some of the graphical tricks employed are borderline DX11 cinematic quality, and i'm not much for hyperbole or easily impressed.

i didn't think i'd see something more graphically beautiful than Uncharted 2 this gen (console wise), but my personal opinion is that it's been surpassed.

Hell I gawked at the rainy village in the demo which to me is one of the most boring locations I've seen in the game. The rain, mud, raindrops against the ground, general texturing, and the way the enemies almost disappear into the darkness and you only know they're there because of their glowing red eyes... man that is some spectacular shit.

Phenomic

So I finished playing through the demo and I'm fairly positive over all. Visually mind blown, only really negative thing I would say is having roll and block on the same buttons, seemed like anytime I would try to block I would be holding over and roll instead of block. Might just take some getting used to but if I'm going to have complaints on anything in this game it will be that. Other things, combat feels really fun and isn't overly complex to the point where it hurts the game. Health seems like it might be hard to come by so it seems like restore management will be key and saving fountains until very close to death might be ideal depending on the area.

brandonh83 said:
Jesus. I must have seriously not been paying any attention whatsoever. I don't know how many times I've played through SOTN and not noticed that. christ I need a popsicle.
Hey man, don't bust a nut. It'll be okay.

Deware80

Banned
Zeal said:
i really don't see how current gen consoles are processing some of the shit i'm seeing a few hours into this game. the stages are so incredibly detailed that i'll simply stop just to look at minor things like birds and HDR lighting. some of the graphical tricks employed are borderline DX11 cinematic quality, and i'm not much for hyperbole or easily impressed.

i didn't think i'd see something more graphically beautiful than Uncharted 2 this gen (console wise), but my personal opinion is that it's been surpassed.

WOW, its looks that good iyo? better than uncharted 2? I'm not bashing you at all, I was amazed by the visuals in the demo, are you saying the visuals continue to improve deeper into the game?

Personally, I hate the dual triggers and have removed them from all my controllers. It's true that they definitely help keep your fingers from sliding off, but they also make it infinitely more difficult to fully depress the L2/R2 buttons. Maybe I'm just OCD, but I don't like doing a "half press" on these buttons, even if the game doesn't require a full depression. I've found a better soution (for me) to be just keeping my index fingers in between the shoulder buttons so I keep my full control. Just my two cents... I've seen everyone rant and rave about these damn triggers, but in my opinion and experience they suck balls. :D

About the amazon triggers, do they shorten the space you have to push the triggers to fully have them pressed?. It takes forever to fully press the triggers in my opinion.

They do shorten the space, but for me it is kinda difficult to tell when they are fully depressed since you can't really "feel" them anymore. Additionally, the material they are made of is not very good at holding the grip of my fingertips. When I had the triggers installed I found myself actually gripping them by their outside edge, which was uncomfortable and stupid. I dunno, every else seems to really love them. Perhaps I have weird hands or something, or have spent so long gaming on the stock DS3/SixAxis that I'm just used to it.

Dascu

Here are some impressions from watching one of the streams (spoilered just in case, though I don't actually spoil anything):

- There's a lot of puzzles. They seem to range from braindead-easy to trial-and-error to GameFAQs-time levels of difficulty. For those who watched Tyndis' stream, the
Music Box Level
is one of the examples of very cruel puzzle design. I'm surprised they took the time to design all these puzzles though. It's a good way to break up the combat. Some areas of the game were platforming segment - puzzle segment - platforming segment, with no fights in between. Those areas almost feel like a Zelda dungeon, more than anything.

- I mentioned platforming, but 90% of it is climbing up ledges and such. There is a tiny 10% that I would actually consider real platforming, with a 2D camera angle and everything. Chapter XI in particular has some neat platforming elements. A handful of moments even have enemies around during a platforming bit.

- Speaking of enemies, the combat is like a slower God of War-clone. I'm not a fan of this style of play, and that's why I watched the stream as I didn't think I would enjoy playing a game like that (and after watching it, I haven't changed my opinion at all). A lot of the fights ended up being 3-hit combo - roll away - repeat. I'm sure people experienced with that gameplay style will pick up on the nuances and find that the game has its own identity (I think it has its own identity, but mostly from the setting, puzzle and level design).

- The bossfights. There's a lot of bosses. Some stages are just a bossfight. The bosses range from small to huuuuge in size. And just about every one of them looks like a chore. Some of them took upward of 15 minutes to defeat. One of them took around 25 minutes. And this was on the default difficulty setting. Combat during most of these fights looked very repetitive and dragged on far too long because they had a lot of health to chip away at. Let alone that a lot of them had a health restoration move at the end if you didn't quickly figure out what to do to counter this. Also, one of the later bosses is ripped straight out of Shadow of the Colossus.

- Camera and level design can be finicky. The player was stuck in a certain area for about 15 mins because he didn't have a clue how to progress. Neither did I. He eventually found the path he was supposed to take by sheer chance, as the camera didn't make it obvious at all. There's several of these moments where you can see that the player didn't know where to go, often because the camera angles aren't always the best.

- The settings themselves all look beautiful, however. There's a lot of areas in the game, with a lot of variety, all with their unique style, enemies and puzzles. Props to MercurySteam. They've challenged Retro Studios of Metroid Prime fame with their area design. Absolutely stunning at times and full of creativity and originality.

- Finally, the story. In my opinion, if you just switch a few names around, this wouldn't be called Castlevania at all. I'm not going to say a lot about it, as I don't want to spoil anything. But in a way, this game looks like it's just as much of a re-imagining than the recently announced DmC. I think that some fans might be upset with the story, the ending in particular. Those last few cutscenes are packed with plottwists and you feel the hand of Hideo Kojima at work. Some of those twists are predictable, some of them are completely out of the left field without any foreshadowing.

In closing: Castlevania Lords of Shadow looks like it's a very decent game. It has plenty of everything and it generally seems to pull it off remarkably well. Some fights and puzzles looked very tedious however, and it might definitely bother some players. I think that certain fans of the franchise (both classic as metroidvania style) will be disappointed by the lack of certain series' staples. I won't go into detail, but to me it looked obvious that this did not start life as a Castlevania game. MercurySteam has proven that it has got talent though. I don't necessarily agree with certain design choices, but I do think Konami needs to give them a shot at a sequel.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Why would you spoiler a bunch of stuff that isn't a spoiler?

Dascu

thetrin said:
Why would you spoiler a bunch of stuff that isn't a spoiler?
'Cause there might be some tiny details here and there that are already too much of a spoiler for certain people.

RS4-

I don't know if there's a skill later on that let's you block in the air or jump/cancel out of the roll.

But it does get slightly annoying when you dodge an attack but still take damage since it's an aoe type thing. Even though it makes combat not as much a mash fest and brainless, it does get frustrating. I guess it'd be too much if it was something like Bayonetta or if you were invulnerable through the whole thing.

As for the jumping stuff, it's hard to judge how far these guys can hit, it feels like you're a safe distance away and bam, you get smacked down because you're just stuck there in the air during attack animations.

I guess, it isn't a problem because you can heal with light attacks; just small nitpicks about combat.

Edit - about the dodge, if you roll the wrong way, attacks in general can hit you. I never played the demo so I don't know if that was already noticeable in it.

Zeal said:

This has me excited. Although, I think that parts of GoW3 were more impressive than anything I have seen in Uncharted 2....Gaia, chronos etc. I haven't seen anything in vids of this which looks as impressive technically as those to parts...although the art in this game is easily on par with whats in GoW3 in my opinion.

Can't wait to give it a go...!

Graphically better than Uncharted 2? That's a laughable opinion to have.

I am currently at the bossfight that is ripped straight from a Sony game and I am beyond annoyed with what a pathetic rip-off it is. I am considering not touching this game again, and it's not just due to the creative bankruptcy.

But yeah, it's pretty and runs well. Playing on 360.

I swear to g---

I just asked you guys to not do this on the last page. It was a simple request. Dascu, as far as I'm concerned, you said that your big spoiler-tagged post wasn't anything bad but that you would do it anyway, fine.

but SICKBOY

Meet me under the willow tree at 3:30

Top Bottom