• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

Kagari said:
Friend was insistent that a specific game would come out on time, then it got delayed. The bet was that said delay wasn't happening, and then it did!

Oh LittleBigPlanet 2 pr Gears 3?

Beaten, damn you Capt.

Just ended my stream for now, 3 and a half hours in and I'm halfway through Chapter 2. Had to give up on Hard difficulty at the beginning of Chapter 2 because enemies hit way too hard.

Anyway, I'm not sure how I feel about the game. It's a decent game so far but I can already tell I'm probably not going to like it that much by the end. The combat is fine for the most part (except for the fact that dodge and block are both on L2 - makes for many accidental rolls instead of a block), but the platforming is crap. It reminds me of Tomb Raider Underworld, in that the platforming is extremely finicky and one slight miscalculation and it's over. That'd be fine if the platforming didn't represent a sizeable chunk of the game, but so far it unfortunately has.
Also, the whole 'epic' feel to the game just comes off as trying to hard, in my eyes.

Lastly, the environments are absolutely confusing. Why the fuck can't I have a map of some kind??

Those are my first impressions.

Flunkie

Banned
I just finished the demo for the first time. I liked the presentation and visuals, but the gameplay just felt bland. I don't know if it was due to expectations entirely too high (from you, GAF!) or what, but I couldn't distinguish what sets this apart from all the other third person action/adventure games.

Revolutionary said:
in that the platforming is extremely finicky and one slight miscalculation and it's over. That'd be fine if the platforming didn't represent a sizeable chunk of the game, but so far it unfortunately has.
Fuck yeah! Seriously, me love hard platformers.

Revolutionary said:
Lastly, the environments are absolutely confusing. Why the fuck can't I have a map of some kind??
Oh God, there's no map?! The one thing I hate in any game more than anything else is getting lost and not knowing where to go, I would much prefer FFXIII's straight line linearity to being lost.

Flunkie said:
I just finished the demo for the first time. I liked the presentation and visuals, but the gameplay just felt bland. I don't know if it was due to expectations entirely too high (from you, GAF!) or what, but I couldn't distinguish what sets this apart from all the other third person action/adventure games.

Similar? Okay. Bland? Didn't get that from it at all. I play the demo on the Knight difficulty and I find myself having a blast with the combat. It's very playful and always requires you to do something. I also absolutely love how the enemies can blend in with the environment; how you can only really spot a werewolf in the rainy village by their red eyes. I certainly will not be playing this on any other difficulty than the highest which is available to me from the get-go.

THE Caffeinated said:
Oh God, there's no map?! The one thing I hate in any game more than anything else is getting lost and not knowing where to go, I would much prefer FFXIII's straight line linearity to being lost.

From what I've seen the environments don't seem to be terribly huge and most of the reviews talk about how the game is "too linear" so I really don't see this as being a problem.

Phenomic

brandonh83 said:
Similar? Okay. Bland? Didn't get that from it at all. I play the demo on the Knight difficulty and I find myself having a blast with the combat. It's very playful and always requires you to do something. I also absolutely love how the enemies can blend in with the environment; how you can only really spot a werewolf in the rainy village by their red eyes. I certainly will not be playing this on any other difficulty than the highest which is available to me from the get-go.

From what I've seen the environments don't seem to be terribly huge and most of the reviews talk about how the game is "too linear" so I really don't see this as being a problem.

Definitely going to start on the highest as well, even if I'm raging because I die 100 times I wouldn't have it any other way. Hopefully the demo will finish downloading by like 1 AM :D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Darkmakaimura said:
Debatable since it's an RPG and an action title, with a large "open world".

Mass Effect 2 is about as much an RPG as it is a dating sim.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
thetrin said:
Mass Effect 2 is about as much an RPG as it is a dating sim.
Haha, yeah... But we can say the new CV is not open world, amirite?

What Mega Man game is your avatar from, btw?

Phenomic

Darkmakaimura said:
Haha, yeah... But we can say the new CV is not open world, amirite?

I think it was from the teaser trailer for Mega Man Universe

Edit* Actually it's not from Universe it was the Korean game they announced that I don't remember the name of. *Mega Man Online.

Supa

Darkmakaimura said:
Wow, I've never seen an action game comprise of two discs on the 360! That is freaking epic!!!

You can also install the first disc on your hard drive and then you only have to play with the second disc. :)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Darkmakaimura said:

It's from the trailer for Mega Man Online.

Darkmakaimura said:
That's good news. No disc swapping.

It's only half as much disc swapping assuming you go through the game twice for the hardest difficulty... Moaning about disk swapping is one of the worst complaints I've ever heard unless we're talking about shit like Monkey Island 2 on the Amiga where I have 12 disks I constantly need to switch and a key scrambler I need to mess around with between each.

RavenFox

Banned
CaptYamato said:
Is disc swapping that bad?
You mean like how some complain about PS3 installs? Of course it's not bad but I find it funny
that You have to install this game to run the second disc. Is the install mandatory? If not, then yes 360 owners will have to disc swap.

To those who got the 360 version early, can you install both discs onto the HDD?

And if so, how does it work? I know you can play off the 2nd disc after installing the first one, but can you also install the 2nd disc and still play off of it?

Thanks!

Oh, and what are the sizes of each disc?

RavenFox

Banned
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
To those who got the 360 version early, can you install both discs onto the HDD?

And if so, how does it work? I know you can play off the 2nd disc after installing the first one, but can you also install the 2nd disc and still play off of it?

Thanks!

Im sure you can play off the second disc and the size will not be over 6gigs.

RavenFox said:
Im sure you can play off the second disc and the size will not be over 6gigs.
I know about the 2nd disc thing, but I'm just wondering if I can install the 2nd disc to the HDD so I won't have to hear my 360's jet engine kicking in while it's reading off the disc!

And I have this paranoia that playing off the disc will gradually ruin my system. So I always install my games.

RavenFox said:
You mean like how some complain about PS3 installs? Of course it's not bad but I find it funny
that You have to install this game to run the second disc. Is the install mandatory? If not, then yes 360 owners will have to disc swap.

How the fuck do you get around having to put the first disc in the machine to install it and then having to swap it out for the second disk to play the game? 360 owners need to swap disks no matter what no matter if the install is mandatory; which it isn't.

I can't comprehend why people give a shit about swapping disks, if you install the game do it so it doesn't sound like there's a jet engine in your living room.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:

Thanks!

I saw this posted somewhere on GAF I think.

I want to say total install size is 12.2gb (6.0 and 6.2gb for the 2 discs) and that you can play the game with disc 2 in the drive.

Spirit of Jazz said:
How the fuck do you get around having to put the first disc in the machine to install it and then having to swap it out for the second disk to play the game? 360 owners need to swap disks no matter what no matter if the install is mandatory; which it isn't.

I can't comprehend why people give a shit about swapping disks, if you install the game do it so it doesn't sound like there's a jet engine in your living room.

Mass Effect 2 was annoying -- it required you to have the proper disc in the drive, install or not, so if you had the whole thing installed before playing, you'd still have to switch discs at some point during play. I believe newer mutlidisc 360 games have allowed the entire game to play off the second disc, which removes the need for any disc swap during play if you can afford the HDD space to install both discs.

corrosivefrost said:
I saw this posted somewhere on GAF I think.

I want to say total install size is 12.2gb (6.0 and 6.2gb for the 2 discs) and that you can play the game with disc 2 in the drive.
Cool. So I can install disc 2 than.

That's all I wanted to know, if I can install both discs onto the HDD. :)

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:

Thanks!

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned it was over 6 GB for each disk. So approximately 13GB for both.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:

Was there a game that was multidisc that didn't allow this? I'm pretty sure I had both discs of Mass Effect 2 installed at one point...

corrosivefrost said:
Was there a game that was multidisc that didn't allow this? I'm pretty sure I had both discs of Mass Effect 2 installed at one point...
I guess it's because Castlevania can be played off of disc 2 without disc swapping, so I just wanted to know how the installation works.

Tokubetsu

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:

Yea, I'm installing disc 2 as well, Will ahve to uinstall Reach though. I need to get one of those new xboxes.

All these teases about twists and shit to the games ending. Fuck, need to stop seeing these vague spoilers.

It is offically time for me to have an information blackout for everything related to the game till i buy and playthrough the game.

The_Dude

Sorry if this has been asked, but my speed has been capped and it takes about a week to load a page - can you change the blocking and dodging on the PS3 version from L2/R2 to L1/R1? It's the only thing that is making me hesitate buying it on PS3.

Phenomic said:
What exactly do these help you do? I always remember hearing everyone saying how great they are on Gaf but never found out why.

Personally I don't like how your fingers can sort of slide off L2/R2; these would help correct that and with a game like this where L2 is frequently used, I'm sure they could come in handy. Plus it would feel better when playing FPS titles I'd imagine.

iqubal

Banned
brandonh83 said:
how many does one order come with, two?

I'm about to order this RIGHT NOW.

Each package comes with two. Once I put these on, I can never go back to playing without them. They work really well with racing games too. Highly recommended.

brandonh83 said:
how many does one order come with, two?

I'm about to order this RIGHT NOW.

Yes. Each order is for a pair.
I have them on both my PS3 controllers -- I bought them after a GAF member was telling me of how they made Bayonetta on PS3 infinitely more playable (since the dodge mechanic is tied to R2, I think).

Basically, they sort of take the sheer curve off the back of the triggers so that they don't slip and accidentally press... and so your fingers don't slip off the curved trigger too.

They've made Bayonetta better and I'm sure I benefit from them in RDR because of holding L2 to aim.

iqubal said:
Each package comes with two. Once I put these on, I can never go back to playing without them. They work really well with racing games too. Highly recommended.

And bought. good to know about racers too, I won GT5 from Subway and should be getting that toward the end of this month :D

Estimated delivery October 5, 2010, right on schedule. Come on Tuesday.

Top Bottom