• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Replicant said:
So I just downloaded the demo from Euro PSN but WTF IS WRONG with the command screens? It's VERY unresponsive. Each time there is a command (ie. adjust a screen resolution, press START to continue, etc) and I press the corresponding button, the game just doesn't respond at all. It takes many tries (and mashing the button) before I can proceed to the next screen.

At this rate, I won't even be able to play the demo.

Did the exact same thing to me. I had to restart the demo several times before it would work. Hope the game isn't the same.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
KurowaSan said:
29whsh.jpg

Seems it's gonna be released by the end of October, that is, weeks AFTER the official release of the regular version. :(
Is this ever getting released in America for the 360?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Spike said:
Do you really need to ask?
Yes, I am not that informed. Also, I don't know what this games qualifies as, Japanese or European, so I don't have any idea of what the chances are of USA getting equal treatment.

godhandiscen said:
Yes, I am not that informed. Also, I don't know what this games qualifies as, Japanese or European, so I don't have any idea of what the chances are of USA getting equal treatment.
The rule for Konami (and especially KojiPro) is, if you're anywhere but America, rock on. If you're in America, fuck you, no cool shit for you.

Yeah but there isn't even a whisper i this version will get released. The game is out here on friday in the UK and no retailer has even heard of there being a LE.

glaurung

That European CE looks wicked, I must have it. Even if it means double-dipping since I already have the regular PS3 version pre-ordered.

If Mercury really gets the change to have another go at the franchise, I would expect the Symphony of the Night style sequel. New, brooding protagonist, more RPG, more shopping, more gothic.

LowParry

glaurung said:
That European CE looks wicked, I must have it. Even if it means double-dipping since I already have the regular PS3 version pre-ordered.

If Mercury really gets the change to have another go at the franchise, I would expect the Symphony of the Night style sequel. New, brooding protagonist, more RPG, more shopping, more gothic.

I hope not. They should continue the formula with what they have already. Only to expand it years later with a new lead character. Hell. They can still tie in some other Castlevania lore into it in a mild way.

glaurung said:

Or maybe, the Simon's Quest-style sequel.

Better yet, the Dracula's Curse-style sequel.

Despera

Banned
Will be starting this game today after I finish Enslaved. Ahh the drought season is over, and I'm actually playing good games back to back!

I feel bad for buying the regular version, but if I want to get every game coming out in these coming months then I must stay away from LEs and CEs.

btw, What's the release date for the OST CD?

Does anyone know if this game was some kind of Dinosaur Planet kind of deal where it became a Castlevania game late in development?

LowParry

polyh3dron said:
Does anyone know if this game was some kind of Dinosaur Planet kind of deal where it became a Castlevania game late in development?

No. Was always pitched as Castlevania.

panda21

polyh3dron said:

i think mercury steam were developing a new game called lords of shadow when konami got them to make it a castlevania game instead. so sort of yes, although i think it has been in development as castlevania for a while now.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
panda21 said:
i think mercury steam were developing a new game called lords of shadow when konami got them to make it a castlevania game instead. so sort of yes, although i think it has been in development as castlevania for a while now.

No no, Im pretty sure it was, we want to make a 3d castlevania, a bit in the project... this might not be accepted as castlevania... ok its not new ip then! a bit more in the project you know what lets make this castlevania again ...
:lol :lol :lol

At least that's what I remember from the interview.

Segata Sanshiro said:
The rule for Konami (and especially KojiPro) is, if you're anywhere but America, rock on. If you're in America, fuck you, no cool shit for you.
At least americans got SOTN on PSN. Still hoping it comes to the EU PSN store one day. :(

The mask in the EU LE edition looks cool but is probably just made of nerd plastic.

Suzzopher

M°°nblade said:
At least americans got SOTN on PSN. Still hoping it comes to the EU PSN store one day. :(

The mask in the EU LE edition is probably just made of plastic.

Would be awesome if Konami released SOTN and Chronicles on PSN this week in Europe.......they won't :(

Cheerilee

polyh3dron said:
Konami along with Hideo Kojima decided that it was time for a big budget push for Castlevania, and they decided that it wasn't necessarily going to be IGA in charge of it (IGA being Koji Igarashi, the guy who's been running Castlevania since Symphony of the Night).

They approached three developers in three regions and asked them to pitch ideas for a big-budget Castlevania to them. The one from Europe was MercuryStream, the one from Japan was presumably IGA, and there was one more from America.

Konami and Kojima liked MercuryStream's ideas best. MercuryStream got the green light and the money, but Konami kept it a secret and didn't tell IGA that he was being demoted, and had MercuryStream deliberately avoid using the Castlevania name, perhaps as a safety measure so that they could cancel the project if it wasn't turning out okay and then nobody would know that it was a Castlevania that got canned.

But it was developed as a real Castlevania the entire time. The first version of the game was being made as a 3D remake of Castlevania 1 from the NES.

2San

2&2 said:
Question:

In in the 360 version, is the LT or LB the block/evade button?
LT

Demo was kinda underwhelming. I think I'm pretty much done with action(adventure) games unless they feature a deep combat system(ala Bayonetta).

2San said:
Demo was kinda underwhelming. I think I'm pretty much done with action(adventure) games unless they feature a deep combat system(ala Bayonetta).

Not to be a broken record, but a lot of reviews and impressions say the combat is great and there's a lot to master about it, it's not as crazy as Bayonetta but I find that very few action titles are-- and it's just a demo. Some demos come packed with your full assortment of moves, some don't.

JohngPR

I don't if I just didn't notice in the PS3 demo, but there seems to be more noticeable slowdown on the 360 demo in the horse riding area. I noticed more slowdown when you are jumping on the beasts back when you are taking them out.

Not sure if I just noticed it now and the PS3 version has it as well, or if it's just this version of the demo.

As far as graphics, they pretty much look the same.

george_us

2San said:
This is fucking retarded for many reasons.

2San

GT's new retrospective is on Castlevania. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=409213

george_us said:
This is fucking retarded for many reasons.
Feel free to elaborate.

brandonh83 said:
Not to be a broken record, but a lot of reviews and impressions say the combat is great and there's a lot to master about it, it's not as crazy as Bayonetta but I find that very few action titles are-- and it's just a demo. Some demos come packed with your full assortment of moves, some don't.
Hate when demo's do this. I knew there was more to the combat, but I really don't feel like buying a game on the assumption it might be better. Hope I can try it at a friends house.

Demo is way too short to judge much of anything, other than the cutscenes being nice. Framerate didn't bother me (360), but then again I'm one of the people who never really had a problem with Reach or Assassin's creed.

It is by no means a slideshow.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Do people really believe that the kind of system presented in Bayo would even be appropriate for this game?

2San

dark10x said:
Do people really believe that the kind of system presented in Bayo would even be appropriate for this game?
Not saying that Castlevania should have a combat system like Bayonetta, but how would it be unappropriated? Does having a combat system like from a pure action game somehow detract from the exploration or ambiance of the game?

george_us

2San said:
Feel free to elaborate.
The game isn't a full on action game and balancing it, as well as the other elements like platforming and puzzle solving, would take way too long. There's a reason games like these either have deep combat systems or complex puzzles and not both.

2San

george_us said:
The game isn't a full on action game and balancing it, as well as the other elements like platforming and puzzle solving, would take way too long. There's a reason games like these either have deep combat systems or complex puzzles and not both.
So you called my words retarded, because of your lack of reading comprehension?

Top Bottom