• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

RavenFox

Banned
burgerdog said:
I think I've played enough to safely call this my batman of 2010. 12 or so hours in and 45% complete.
Wow! Strong words there Vampire Hunter.
Hmm I wonder how Batman would fare if he had a Belmont on his ass.

Yeah, Ive used their release date delivery a few times now, and then Amazon quite a bit, and they are simply ****-awesome. Got this and Enslaved coming, already have a tracking number for this, and Enslaved is being prepared. Tomorrow would be a pretty sweet day if I wasnt working 10 hours. : (

But yeah, I <3 Amazon! :D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
canova said:
fucking EB games don't want to release my copy. I know they have it behind the counter
You mean in the back room? EB employees don't keep street dated quantities behind the counter (at least not any EB I ever worked at)

Glix

My mom and pop SHOP (that must have sounded lame before the edit!), just called, they are getting it in today, and will call me when it arrives!

WOOT!

LowParry

Henchmen21 said:
Yeah try having no money and having to wait till xmas to get this game :(

Gotta plan these things out. I'll put $25 aside each month for gaming needs. My purchases are limited but worth it in the end.

Glix

CcrooK said:
Gotta plan these things out. I'll put $25 aside each month for gaming needs. My purchases are limited but worth it in the end.

Yeah, I'm on my 3DS "layaway" plan at the moment :)

CcrooK said:
Same here. Being a single parent means I need to be very choosy in buying games.

Glix

dreamer3kx said:
You did a whole lot of celebrating beating the worst team in the NFL?

Just hating today, although I will be celebrating my Mets firing manager/GM this morning by playing this game today.

We might be the worst in the NFL, but I like Fitz better than Edwards, so its a step in the right direction. Does Roscoe Parrish not have fingers? How can one man drop so many passes? Does Lee Evans have an invisibility cloak?

BOBBY V OR BUST.

Lastly, I'm really really excited for this game!!!!

Canova

Banned
thetrin said:
You mean in the back room? EB employees don't keep street dated quantities behind the counter (at least not any EB I ever worked at)

doesn't matter where they keep it, in the backroom, behind the counter, in their underwear, I want my copy NAO!

Glix said:
BOBBY V OR BUST.
Hell yeah! Though im mildly concerned that he got too used to getting his ass kissed in Japan (they built a shrine and named a fucking street after him)

Oh, and the game is quite good, loving it so far

Vitet

Despera said:
Jealous? :D

I actually discovered the right combination by myself so your advice was useful to a certain extent. So now... starting the game.

A lot xD
I'm a PCWii gamer, I don't have the money/time to buy a 360/ps3 right now, I'm a great fan of the Castlevania franchise, my favorite CV game is SCIV and on top... i'm spanish and want to support these guys xD

Tokubetsu

Played the demo. Fucking loved it. Really glad I got the CE now. Loving the combat, loving the score. Everything just <3

add another one to the "played the demo and loved it" list, really great demo :D :D

after seeing a stream the other day, it looked kinda bad but since i played it, i want it!!!

Despera

Banned
Vitet said:
A lot xD
I'm a PCWii gamer, I don't have the money/time to buy a 360/ps3 right now, I'm a great fan of the Castlevania franchise, my favorite CV game is SCIV and on top... i'm spanish and want to support these guys xD

Hopefully you'll get enough money/time to buy either an Xbox 360 or a PS3 because you're missing a lot of what this gen has to offer by sticking to PC and Wii only.

I've just finished the demo section on both the PS3 and 360 (the 360 version is one my friend bought) and I gotta say that there wasn't much of a difference except for one part. When Gabriel was introduced to that magical horse the framerate dropped so hard on the 360 version it was reduced to a slide show like experience for a couple o' second and the game was installed on the freaking HDD! I don't think anyone reported anything this bad before so maybe it's related to a problem in my friend's system?

However, the combat is better than I expected especially after hearing some bad impressions.

Despera said:
Hopefully you'll get enough money/time to buy either an Xbox 360 or a PS3 because you're missing a lot of what this gen has to offer by sticking to PC and Wii only.

I've just finished the demo section on both the PS3 and 360 (the 360 version is one my friend bought) and I gotta say that there wasn't much of a difference except for one part. When Gabriel was introduced to that magical horse the framerate dropped so hard on the 360 version it was reduced to a slide show like experience for a couple o' second and the game was installed on the freaking HDD! I don't think anyone reported anything this bad before so maybe it's related to a problem in my friend's system?

However, the combat is better than I expected especially after hearing some bad impressions.
You must HATE the Gears of War games then, if you have an issue with framerate dips during in-engine cutscenes.

scently

Despera said:

I have both consoles and I had none of that frame drop in either of them.

Despera

Banned
scently said:
I have both consoles and I had none of that frame drop in either of them.

Well my friend tells me that he went through that segment again and everything went fine this time. It seems to be inconsistent.

I guess that's enough talk about framerate issues.

Zeal

Banned
my god, the Titan battles in this game are a fucking beauty to behold. gives me an idea of how SotC would look in HD.....almost.

Played demo.

Off-screen attacks. *sigh*

I can't judge the combat as a whole though, since the demo doesn't show you light and shadow magic.

How far into the game are those two introduced anyway?

Zeal

Banned
i'm blown away by the hate this game is getting in the technical comparison thread over framerate issues that are hardly noticeable. gamers are the most nitpicky, whiny asshats sometimes, i swear.

Canova

Banned
Zeal said:
i'm blown away by the hate this game is getting in the technical comparison thread over framerate issues that are hardly noticeable. gamers are the most nitpicky, whiny asshats sometimes, i swear.

let them be. they got as much enjoyment hating on the game as we do playing the game. People have different preferences

Zeal said:

The same people giving it shit are the ones saying that Enslaved was beautiful. :lol

Draft

Zeal said:
God forbid you want a game to play well instead of just look good.

Spent a few minutes with the Xbox demo. The framerate is both smooth and slow, which is kind of a new experience for me. Can't fault it for being uneven, but the blur doesn't replace those missing frames, it just disguises them. Motion blur is the push up bra for frame rates.

It's better than a game with random drops, and the controls have an adequate tightness, but the missing frames hurt. Game feels stiff without them.

The horse sequence is the stuff of nightmares. I guess you have to time the button press when the enemy grapples you? I fell off twice, did two boring arenas, turned the demo off.

This game is a maybe when it's sub-$20.

Beth Cyra

Well I know I won't be popular for saying this (not that I am anyway but eh.) but after playing the 360 version I certainly am not happy.

I can understand people want their games to look good, fair I agree, but the slow down was awful, now I don't know if the team meant for it to slow down so much during combat but christ if felt like every other attack I was finishing a combo in GoW and that really doesn't do well with me.

Luckily I read that the 360 demo is not what the final game will be like, and I will still pick it up but I can say that I don't care how good the game looks, if I have to deal with that terrible nonsense during combat I won't last even 5 hours out of the supposed 20 hour game time.

Sorry but I rather an action game play smooth, this is made all the worse when DMC 4 exists and all the shit going on in Vanquish which comes out soon, V may only be 30FPS but it still manages to feel good even if it isn't 60FPS, Castlevania does not.

CaptYamato said:
The same people giving it shit are the ones saying that Enslaved was beautiful. :lol
Nah, not really. Amir0x is giving the game a lot of shit and I doubt his opinion of Enslaved is much better. I gave the framerate some shit and I think Enslaved is worse than Hitler in a bunny suit.

LowParry

Segata Sanshiro said:
Nah, not really. Amir0x is giving the game a lot of shit and I doubt his opinion of Enslaved is much better. I gave the framerate some shit and I think Enslaved is worse than Hitler in a bunny suit.

So which of the two games win in terms of frames?

CcrooK said:
So which of the two games win in terms of frames?
No idea. Enslaved had so many problems in the demo that I never focused on the framerate except to notice it was poor, whereas the Castlevania demo really just had the framerate as an issue.

LowParry

Segata Sanshiro said:
No idea. Enslaved had so many problems in the demo that I never focused on the framerate except to notice it was poor, whereas the Castlevania demo really just had the framerate as an issue.

I guess it comes down to the final product. Though I have no interest at all with Enslaved.

Segata Sanshiro said:

It was meant as a joke. Even though there are some of the guys that were calling Enslaved a masterpiece talking about the CV framerate.

Teknoman

Fimbulvetr said:
Played demo.

Off-screen attacks. *sigh*

I can't judge the combat as a whole though, since the demo doesn't show you light and shadow magic.

How far into the game are those two introduced anyway?

Probably early on, since review videos have shown the same area in the demo with multiplier gauges and magic.

i hear that the game won't be all about combat, but why'd they make the demo only that? it gave the impression that the game will strictly be another GoW/Dante/etc type hack-n-slash...

i played the demo before getting on GAF because i wanted to try to guess what the general impression of GAF would be towards it... and i assumed everyone would hate it.

i mean, not much happens in the demo. i fought werewolves... and werewolves riding on werewolves... that was it, right? i didnt miss anything?

the music was freakin' bangin' though. no doubt. haha.

Top Bottom