• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

george_us

2San said:
So you called my words retarded, because of your lack of reading comprehension?
You said you were done with these types of games (meaning action-adventure games similar to God of War) because the combat system wasn't as deep as something like Bayonetta. Did I misread?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
2San said:
Not saying that Castlevania should have a combat system like Bayonetta, but how would it be unappropriated? Does having a combat system like from a pure action game somehow detract from the exploration or ambiance of the game?
Absolutely. You can't deny that such a system would have required more design time. This could very well have shifted the focus of the game in a very combat heavy direction. Less focus on exploration and platforming and more on pure combat. At the moment it seems to be well balanced.

2San said:
Not saying that Castlevania should have a combat system like Bayonetta, but how would it be unappropriated? Does having a combat system like from a pure action game somehow detract from the exploration or ambiance of the game?

Some people don't need for action games to be as intensely frantic as Bayonetta.

I personally agree, while it may feature a good combat system with plenty of moves and combos, it's not meant to rival or be compared to action titles like DMC and Bayonetta, but rather the heavier feel of God of War.

It wouldn't necessarily detract from the exploration or ambiance-- DMC had incredible atmosphere (at least, the very first one, not sure I would praise any of the others the same way) but again, it's simply a different type of action game than Bayonetta or DMC.

I played the (PS3) demo and I'm sold. After all of the complaining in this and the demo threads I was expecting terrible framerates that made the game borderline unplayable, but I honestly didn't notice the framerate as being an issue at all. What I did notice were the absolutely stunning graphics and lots of polish, not to mention a combat system that seemed to really click for me (and that I even found to be more interesting than the God of War series).

I thought the voice acting sounded poor in the trailers and that was something that concerned me, but in the context of the game itself it sounded pretty damn good - not perfect (Stewart's delivery often sounds unnatural to me) but pretty damn good.

Release can't come soon enough - October 14 in Australia :(

2San

george_us said:
You said you were done with these types of games (meaning action-adventure games similar to God of War) because the combat system wasn't as deep as something like Bayonetta. Did I misread?
Where did I say that action adventure games need to follow this format? It's just my personal taste. I am aware that action adventure normally don't go this deep. Let's just say Bayonetta ruined pure action games and action adventure games for me(since exploration simply doesn't mean much to me). I used to be easily pleased even with a simple combat system.

dark10x said:
Absolutely. You can't deny that such a system would have required more design time. This could very well have shifted the focus of the game in a very combat heavy direction. Less focus on exploration and platforming and more on pure combat. At the moment it seems to be well balanced.
Yeah sure, but that still doesn't mean it's unappropriated. It just means it's harder to achieve. Mind you I'm not having crazy expectations of the combat system, but the combat shown in the demo was very bare bones. It seems that the full version has more to offer though.

panda21

i dont think i'm going to get it because the demo just feels too much like god of war, and i've already had enough of that kind of game.

its strange because it seems like its probably works well as a castlevania game, its just that the style of gameplay is something that i dont want any more of. i kind of wish they had made something of this quality, but different.

incidentally theres quite a neat move you can do in the demo.. press triangle/Y a bunch of times and hit some guys, then press X(trey) or A(trey six) to jump, then press triangle/Y some more. you kind of whip them up in a whirlwind when you jump and then slice them up.

panda21 said:
i dont think i'm going to get it because the demo just feels too much like god of war, and i've already had enough of that kind of game.

its strange because it seems like its probably works well as a castlevania game, its just that the style of gameplay is something that i dont want any more of. i kind of wish they had made something of this quality, but different...

if by 'that kind of game' you're referring to the combination of melodramatic, unimaginative, & humorless storytelling with heavy-handed, repetitive combat, then the demo left me feeling pretty much the same way...

the 'g.r.i.m.' action genre: gorgeous, relentless, insipid, & monotonous...

Corto

Vitet said:
You can't discover it by yourself? :D

M_NYPD_Bomb_Squad.jpg

RavenFox

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Well, my PS3 version is on its way. I'll stock up on dramamine for a nice weekend binge.
Same here [except for the dramamine] just checked Amazon and my CE is prepped to ship.

NIGHT-

Do you guys feel as if the NA CE is worth it? I kinda want to get it but it just seems like $10 to high. Wish it was the same as the EU version

Ponn

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Well, my PS3 version is on its way. I'll stock up on dramamine for a nice weekend binge.

Yay for Amazon Release Date Delivery. Hopefully I will get my $20 credit without having to email them too.

Side note Amazon was kind enough to pop BOTH The Last Guardian and Ico + SoTC collection in my goldbox discount. Preordered both of those at a discount, its a good day!

Ranger X

brandonh83 said:
The only time I've seen the game in slideshow mode was on the 360 version while attacking a large group of enemies. That's the only exception I've witnessed thus far. Unless you're over exaggerating for whatever reason, saying that the framerate in the demo is a slideshow is hugely inaccurate :lol

Of course my language is colorful but the FPS in the PS3 demo isn't good. It's under 30fps for 99% of the time and in some scenes (when the wolf climbs the rock per example) it drops under 20. Or maybe the scene is movie of a real time scene that was running under 20 but the result is the same. I except a much more constant 30fps for the released version. I really hope they make it.
Besides that, there's nothing annoying for me with the game and I really want to buy it. I hope it will be more exploration than God of War but at least I'm 100% sure it's a good 3D Castlevania.

Lastly, to hell with people that wants this to be even more an action game: Go play your Bayonetta and leave Castlevania alone.

RavenFox

Banned
Ponn01 said:
Yay for Amazon Release Date Delivery. Hopefully I will get my $20 credit without having to email them too.

Side note Amazon was kind enough to pop BOTH The Last Guardian and Ico + SoTC collection in my goldbox discount. Preordered both of those at a discount, its a good day!

Yes yes Amazon rocks and being a Prime member is awesome.
Concerning the credit. I just called Amazon and got one of the coolest customers reps in history. His name is Paul. I told him about the $20 credit stuff and he checked it out for me. I said I preordered this game when it was active and then it was taken down, will Amazon honor it. Dude looked at my account and said wow you order alot. We should name you the King of Amazon:lol . He said no worries I'm applying the credit to your account right now:D . I get the credit before release day woohoo.

If anyone is worried about their credit here is the direct # to Amazon
1-866-216-1072 [USA]

Segata Sanshiro said:
Lucky you. I lost my check card on Saturday, so Amazon can't send the game until I get a new one.

Luckily, they said they can hold onto my order until I get a new card. Won't wait that long though. I'll just buy gift cards today and pay for it that way.

RavenFox said:
Dude looked at my account and said wow you order alot. We should name you the King of Amazon:lol .

Pffffft, I once received a hand-written 'Thank You' note in the mail from an Amazon rep. I'm pretty sure I put her kids through college.

Simo

NIGHT- said:
Do you guys feel as if the NA CE is worth it? I kinda want to get it but it just seems like $10 to high. Wish it was the same as the EU version

Depends if a art book and soundtrack CD does anything for you. Personally I like collecting art books so usually when a game offers a LE that offers something like that I'm all over it. :lol

Soundtrack is a bonus and worth it especially if it is the full release OST, which I'd hope and suspect it is given Japan is getting a LE that combines everything from the US and EU LEs including the soundtrack.

Somebody a few pages back posted an unboxing of the LE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8C7GPr4lX0

Grecco

Finally played the X360 demo.

Graphically it looks pretty good. The whole "its not castlevania enough" thing is a load of nonesense. Demo is too short though.

Canova

Banned
RavenFox said:
Yes yes Amazon rocks and being a Prime memebr is awesome.
Concernign the credit. I just called Amazon and got one of the coolest customers reps in history. His name is Paul. I told him about the $20 credit stuff and he checked it out for me. I said I preordered this game when it was active and then it was taken down, will Amazon honor it. Dude looked at my account and said wow you order alot. We should name you the King of Amazon:lol . He said no worries I'm applying the credit to your account right now:D . I get the credit before release day woohoo.

1-866-216-1072 [USA]

out of curiosity, how much is your order to Amazon worth?

RavenFox said:
Concernign the credit. I just called Amazon and got one of the coolest customers reps in history. His name is Paul. I told him about the $20 credit stuff and he checked it out for me. I said I preordered this game when it was active and then it was taken down, will Amazon honor it. Dude looked at my account and said wow you order alot. We should name you the King of Amazon:lol . He said no worries I'm applying the credit to your account right now:D . I get the credit before release day woohoo.

1-866-216-1072 [USA]

I got the credit applied early as well. Add in my Halo Reach credit = LoS for $20.

RavenFox said:

1-866-216-1072 [USA]
Amazon has the best CS in the business. They must pay well because those people always seem happy.

Amazon does have great cs. I too called about the credit and was told it was on my order. Has anyone's order shipped yet? Seems a bit late to be able to get it by tomorrow.

JohngPR

RavenFox said:
Yes yes Amazon rocks and being a Prime member is awesome.
Concerning the credit. I just called Amazon and got one of the coolest customers reps in history. His name is Paul. I told him about the $20 credit stuff and he checked it out for me. I said I preordered this game when it was active and then it was taken down, will Amazon honor it. Dude looked at my account and said wow you order alot. We should name you the King of Amazon:lol . He said no worries I'm applying the credit to your account right now:D . I get the credit before release day woohoo.

1-866-216-1072 [USA]

Amazon rocks. I emailed them asking if the credit was coming back because I was about to order and lost out on it and they said it wasn't coming back but they were going to make an exception and give me Castlevania for $20 cheaper. Not sure if Prime members get preferential treatment or not, but thought that was mighty awesome of them.

I buy my games exclusively from Amazon and usually their release day shipping doesn't show up as shipped until later in the day.

RavenFox

Banned
JohngPR said:
Amazon rocks. I emailed them asking if the credit was coming back because I was about to order and lost out on it and they said it wasn't coming back but they were going to make an exception and give me Castlevania for $20 cheaper. Not sure if Prime members get preferential treatment or not, but thought that was mighty awesome of them.

I buy my games exclusively from Amazon and usually their release day shipping doesn't show up as shipped until later in the day.
Awesome.

JohngPR said:

Wow, that's great news. /salute Amazon

Top Bottom