• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

Teknoman

thecouncil said:
i hear that the game won't be all about combat, but why'd they make the demo only that? it gave the impression that the game will strictly be another GoW/Dante/etc type hack-n-slash...

i played the demo before getting on GAF because i wanted to try to guess what the general impression of GAF would be towards it... and i assumed everyone would hate it.

i mean, not much happens in the demo. i fought werewolves... and werewolves riding on werewolves... that was it, right? i didnt miss anything?

the music was freakin' bangin' though. no doubt. haha.

Too many good games are victims of poorly thought out or old demos. Dead Space 1 was one of them.

Zeal

Banned
Teknoman said:
Probably early on, since review videos have shown the same area in the demo with multiplier gauges and magic.

cool thing is you can come back to any area to complete a stage in full and unlock secrets using new powers you previously didn't have. the game's replay potential is way up there.

now if you'll excuse me, i have some vampires to ash.

Teknoman

Zeal said:
cool thing is you can come back to any area to complete a stage in full and unlock secrets using new powers you previously didn't have. the game's replay potential is way up there.

now if you'll excuse me, i have some vampires to ash.

Awesome. So what if you decide to start a new game on Paladin difficulty (assuming you have to unlock it)? Would you carry over all powers/special attacks?

Hope there are more hidden costumes in the game, rather than just masks. Also classic DLC :D

Teknoman said:
Also classic DLC :D

Yeah, would be very neat if the DLC had more classic CV elements/throwbacks. Maybe music, or more familiar stages or something.

DLC would be a good place to do that, considering that they don't want the main quest to pull too much from the older games in favor of it having its own identity.

AppleMIX

So I just saw the ending to the game (since I won't be able to pick it up until next week and I probably was going to be spoiler anyways).... I honestly don't know what to think about it.

AppleMIX said:
So I just saw the ending to the game (since I won't be able to pick it up until next week and I probably was going to be spoiler anyways).... I honestly don't know what to think about it.

polarizing opinions! ftw!!

i liked the demo a lot. i'm not a framerate whore but i can tell its not running as fast as GOW. still, definitely playable and it was fun.

off topic but what are peoples problems with enslaved? the demo was so good ill probably buy the game tomorrow.... with $25 coupon at kmart!

6 hours to download a 10 minute demo... and all I fought was 2 types of wolves that took too many hits to kill.. I would have liked to see more.

I could just dig out Legacy of Innocence instead. That at least felt like a Castlevainia game.

blizzardjesus said:
6 hours to download a 10 minute demo... and all I fought was 2 types of wolves that took too many hits to kill.. I would have liked to see more.

I could just dig out Legacy of Innocence instead. That at least felt like a Castlevainia game.

6 hours!? holy shit what type of internet connection do you have :lol

Beth Cyra

blizzardjesus said:

I thought the demo was shit unlike alot of people in this thread, but I don't understand this. Outside of the giant wrogs or whatever they are killed the Wolves died with like 3 or 4 direct hits.

Area of attacks seemed weak but there was no need when you dropped everything with less then one combo.

But then maybe it was because I played on normal.

brandonh83 said:
Sure, and be treated to boring combat and repetitive copy/paste hallways. Go for it.

At least in that demo, LoS combat was just as boring as LoI's.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
brandonh83 said:
Sure, and be treated to boring combat and repetitive copy/paste hallways. Go for it.

I actually really liked Lament of Innocence. It was pretty much the only 3D IGA CV worth playing.

I liked it too but those complaints I feel are incredibly valid, at least in my experience.

TruePrime said:
At least in that demo, LoS combat was just as boring as LoI's.

I cannot endorse this, at least with a sane head. :lol

brandonh83 said:
I enjoyed before, It was pretty much symphony of the night in 3d.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
6 hours!? holy shit what type of internet connection do you have.
Roadrunner, 75KB max download.

360 demo did not impress me.

game is beautiful to look at, when i can pick anything out. everything has the exact same amount of contrast; objects just merge into other objects and i had to keep blinking to make sure my eyes weren't going bad. there's no visual contrast between enemies, environment, items, gabriel, etc.

combat was not fun. felt like bayonetta only with more restrictions, the dodging especially.

what is the deal with demos not allowing me to actually PLAY any of the game? a tutorial plus a semi-scripted vehicle sequence is not a good demonstration of a game.

definitely grabbing enslaved tomorrow (this has NOTHING to do with comparing the two games, they're just both out tomorrow and i wasn't sure which one i'd pick up).

JohngPR

Is Lament of Innocence really that awful?

A few friends of mine told me the game was pretty good back in the day and its Metacritic score was solid so I put it on my Goozex list and then I started frequenting this thread where everyone slams it.

Long story short, I forgot to put it on hold and have it coming to me sometime soon. At least it was only 100 Goozex points.

:lol

Beth Cyra

brandonh83 said:
I liked it too but those complaints I feel are incredibly valid, at least in my experience.

I cannot endorse this, at least with a sane head. :lol

2 basic combos that felt stiff/terrible, QTE's and terrible on horse segements.

What made that combat even slightly better then LoI's to you?

TruePrime said:
2 basic combos that felt stiff/terrible, QTE's and terrible on horse segements.

What made that combat even slightly better then LoI's to you?

LOS' combat gets compared to GOW. Would you say that LoI's combat was just as good as GOW's? Because I wouldn't.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
JohngPR said:
Is Lament of Innocence really that awful?

A few friends of mine told me the game was pretty good back in the day and its Metacritic score was solid so I put it on my Goozex list and then I started frequenting this thread where everyone slams it.

Long story short, I forgot to put it on hold and have it coming to me sometime soon. At least it was only 100 Goozex points.

:lol

LoI is NOT that awful. It suffers from a low budget, making it visually subpar, but it's largely a solid attempt at bringing Castlevania into 3D.

Not to mention that it shows the origins of the Dracula vs. Belmont feud (even if it is kind of nonsensical).

LowParry

depward said:
Big Castlevania fan... disappointed with the demo. Shucks. I'll be waiting to hear some gaffer retail impressions.

You've missed a good dozen of impressions already. Mostly positive.

People should not go by the demo, the game is much better than the demo lets on. After the first chapter things get much better, and the environments just get prettier and prettier. Once you purchase some moves, the combat opens up a little, though it never rises to GoW levels. It's solid enough though.

Beth Cyra

brandonh83 said:
LOS' combat gets compared to GOW. Would you say that LoI's combat was just as good as GOW's? Because I wouldn't.
I have and will always think that God Of War has the worst combat engine out of the three major Action series from last gen and that holds true today with GOWIII.

And from what I played the combos and action that was avalible in that Demo don't stand up to GoW III let alone Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden or yes even LoI's.

It could get better, and in fact some people that have played say that it does, but whats shown in that video is boring and not a huge step up from LoI in any way outside of Graphics.

TruePrime said:
I have and will always think that God Of War has the worst combat engine out of the three major Action series from last gen and that holds true today with GOWIII.

Okay well, fair game, and there you go. We simply don't agree on anything about the subject :lol

except for it being the WORST combat system, I do like DMC and Bayonetta's style a lot more but I don't think it's bad, just different.

thetrin

perineumlick said:
People should not go by the demo, the game is much better than the demo lets on. After the first chapter things get much better, and the environments just get prettier and prettier. Once you purchase some moves, the combat opens up a little, though it never rises to GoW levels. It's solid enough though.

It never rises to GoW levels? GoW is already one of the least complex action game fighting systems out there.

Teknoman

You can mix attacks, there arent just two combos in the demo.
blizzardjesus said:

Too many hits? Even on the hard difficulty, the enemies only took about 3-4 hits to knock out. 1 dagger too, since they're weak to silver.

lament of innocence was ok, but after a few hours of going in the same hallways/corridors i got pretty bored. the actual gameplay itself was above average for its time though

thetrin said:
It never rises to GoW levels? GoW is already one of the least complex action game fighting systems out there.

Maybe if you are just mashing the buttons, but watch a high level player go through it's combat and it's a different story. What it does it does well, and smoothly. I'm old, I don't need an overly complex fighting system, lol.

Synless

I went to both Meijer and Wal-mart and neither of them had the LE version of the game. Worthless fucking stores!!!!!

burgerdog

This fucking clockwork tower in chapter 8 sucks. Anybody know how to get past the
eletricity that never goes away while you hang from your cross?
This will either be super easy or I'm doing it right and I'll never be able to progress further because I've been stuck for an hour.

LowParry

burgerdog said:
This fucking clockwork tower in chapter 8 sucks. Anybody know how to get past the
This will either be super easy or I'm doing it right and I'll never be able to progress further because I've been stuck for an hour.

Off the topic question. Medusa heads? They in?

RS4-

burgerdog said:
I'm on chapter 8 right now and the puzzles are driving me nuts. I haven't come across the one you're stuck on just yet. Unless I already did (assuming there were only two sections).

burgerdog

RS4- said:
I'm on chapter 8 right now and the puzzles are driving me nuts. I haven't come across the one you're stuck on just yet. Unless I already did (assuming there were only two sections).
It's the second stage from chapter 8. If you figure out what to do, please let me know how.

Sorry, guys, like I said earlier this is only my 3rd CV. I didn't know the clockwork tower was special. I'll try to be more careful.

LowParry

burgerdog said:
It's the second stage from chapter 8. If you figure out what to do, please let me know how.

Sorry, guys, like I said earlier this is only my 3rd CV. I didn't know the clockwork tower was special. I'll try to be more careful.

No no. The fact that you've confirmed of its existence is mind blowing good. :D I know we've seen earlier footage but still...still!

Top Bottom