• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

Teknoman

burgerdog said:
It's the second stage from chapter 8. If you figure out what to do, please let me know how.

Sorry, guys, like I said earlier this is only my 3rd CV. I didn't know the clockwork tower was special. I'll try to be more careful.

No harm, just dont do anything like...say what the boss is :lol

burgerdog

Found a game show pre-release video and used that to get past the area I was stuck on. Wow, just wow. Didn't even know that was possible. smh at either me forgetting you could do that or the game not telling you that you can do that.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
wow, the horse /sequence in the demo is garbage. is there much of that in the full game?

otherwise, the combat seems a bit dull, but the graphics, atmosphere, and presentation is godly.

burgerdog

op_ivy said:
wow, the horse /sequence in the demo is garbage. is there much of that in the full game?

otherwise, the combat seems a bit dull, but the graphics, atmosphere, and presentation is godly.
Thus far that's been the only horse riding section and I'm 14 hours in. There's also a huge amount of combat moves in the retail game, I want to say too many, in fact.

As an action game die hard, i gotta say, even from the demo, I really like what they have going here. The focus is on what god of wars focus always should have been, not hard and strong, but direct and crowd control. If it keeps going properly down that path and throwing interesting enemies and enemy sets at you, I can feel good things coming.

Hydrargyrus

GAMEPRO: 3/5 (6)

http://www.gamepro.com/article/reviews/216787/castlevania-lords-of-shadow/

PROS: Astounding production values, from graphics to music to voice; level structure offers replayability; tons of content; says Castlevania on the box.

CONS: Says Castlevania on the box, but not on the disc; button-mash heavy combat; basic story and characters; level structure is highly linear; for all its flash, never quite manages to pull you in.

burgerdog

CcrooK said:
Gamepro = Gamefail :lol Button mashing? What was the reviewer, 10?
Are they playing on easy? Button mash on hard is suicide. If you're not evade canceling your combos on hard you will die a lot.

Also! The two bosses that came after the tower were fucking epic.

LowParry

burgerdog said:
Are they playing on easy? Button mash on hard is suicide. If you're not evade canceling your combos on hard you will die a lot.

That's the impression I got right from the demo. I started on Knight and I had to do some evade dodges to get past that first mini boss werewolf thing. I expect to have to do the same later within the game with more timing and pattern watching.

burgerdog said:

Reviewers play on hard..pff They wouldn't even attempt. :lol

burgerdog

I watched the gt retrospective earlier, how is this not Castlevania? Seems like a lot of reviewers are only familiar with what you guys call 'metroidvania.' Which LoS has to some degree, I just got an ability that let's me get previously inaccessible treasure.

Dascu

mescalineeyes said:
It certainly bothered me, an I'm not even a Castlevania diehard.
Well it's a bad minus point in a review, but the criticism itself is not wholly unwarranted. But again, it's an interesting direction and MercurySteam should work on a sequel to expand on these ideas.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Hydrargyrus said:
I'm interested to hear a well thought out perspective on the game that's leaning on the negative side, but I'm not really seeing that from the press right now.

This review is just...absurd. It presents enormous ideas about the game and provides no backing to the claims. The evidence that it does come forth with is fumblingly illogical.
The game world, beautiful as it is, doesn't feel like a natural extension of the narrative. For instance, early in the game you fight a giant statue with no explanation as to what it is (you do get some flavor text in an in-game scroll that tells you what's what, but it's still effectively unconnected to the storyline) or why it's hostile towards you.
Like, for real? That's a complaint? The example is even contradictorily running against the idea he presented that this game is not Castlevania. Dude, it's an evil castle. Stuff is going to try to kill you.

Easily the most off-base and off-topic review I've ever read. I thought Davison had went into Gamepro to improve it.

Edit: Nevermind, Eric Neigher review. Should have realized.

Vitet

Dance In My Blood said:
Like, for real? That's a complaint? The example is even contradictorily running against the idea he presented that this game is not Castlevania. Dude, it's an evil castle. Stuff is going to try to kill you.

You know, SC IV should been a 0. Because every single creature tried to kill me but... WHO ARE THEY!?!?!?

Desi

MacBosse said:
THE ... FUCK? Is that really a con for the game?
i take it that to them it does not feel similar to the recent castlevanias they played. obviously it should not but whatever.

Stupid Gamestop better open soon so I can haz my precious :D

EDIT: To the Gaffers that have the game already: I HATE YOU XD. Also, would it be worth it to get the guide for this one? I'm curious because it seems like this would be the type of game to have ridiculously hidden collectibles and I really don't feel like tediously searching through online FAQs or the game itself.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Segata Sanshiro said:
Your mother was quite a handful in the sack last night and this game is NOT Castlevania!
Tell your mother...that I loved her....

Farewell, my douche.

LowParry

You do realize you still have to wait for Fed Ex to show up with their shipment today right? :lol I'm just getting mine later today in the afternoon.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
CcrooK said:
You do realize you still have to wait for Fed Ex to show up with their shipment today right? :lol I'm just getting mine later today in the afternoon.
I suspect most places already have this game in stock. Many stores have been receiving both this and Enslaved since last week.

Gamepro said:
PROS: Astounding production values, from graphics to music to voice; level structure offers replayability; tons of content; says Castlevania on the box.

CONS: Says Castlevania on the box, but not on the disc; button-mash heavy combat; basic story and characters; level structure is highly linear; for all its flash, never quite manages to pull you in.
1. WTF? (and also, how in the name of zeus's ass is "says castlevania on the box" a pro in any sort of legitimate editorial?
2. you CANNOT button mash in this game, period, particularly on hard. dodging and blocking are essential.
3. I wouldnt exactly call the story "basic." There are quite a few surprises along the way, also Gabriel's probably one of the more interesting castlevania protagonists, but if you think about that for a second, it really doesnt mean all that much.
4. the levels are pretty linear but then, the game is aping God of War's general structure, which is linear. It sounds like the reviewer is unhappy that it's not metroidvania, which given his enthusiasm after seeing castlevania on the box (that's PRO!), might just be the case.

CcrooK said:

Not according to my Exclusive Gamestop Text Message I got a few days ago saying it would be available "Tue AM."

Oh, and to bring in trades to reduce prices.

Jack Random said:
4. the levels are pretty linear but then, the game is aping God of War's general structure, which is linear. It sounds like the reviewer is unhappy that it's not metroidvania, which given his enthusiasm after seeing castlevania on the box (that's PRO!), might just be the case.

Gears of War, Uncharted, most popular first-person shooters, and a variety of other games that get amazing reviews and nothing docked for linearity.

FFXIII did, but that's an RPG, it shouldn't be linear. Some reviews are simply ill-conceived and it's sad that people are basing their purchasing decisions off of them.

Jack Random said:
1. WTF? (and also, how in the name of zeus's ass is "says castlevania on the box" a pro in any sort of legitimate editorial?
2. you CANNOT button mash in this game, period, particularly on hard. dodging and blocking are essential.
3. I wouldnt exactly call the story "basic." There are quite a few surprises along the way, also Gabriel's probably one of the more interesting castlevania protagonists, but if you think about that for a second, it really doesnt mean all that much.
Dude, seriously, it's Eric Neigher. He's not worth it. I'm not usually on the disparage-the-review-by-attacking-the-reviewer wagon, but he's probably the most awful reviewer I've ever seen writing for any of the pro sites.

CcrooK said:
Most retailers should have it already, Konami shipped it out to retailers a while ago. We've had it since last week. The street date is just up today so I can finally buy it. It's been taunting me all week in our backroom. But today is the day. I shall have ye! BTW is it wrong that I read Ccrook's post in Patrick Stewart's voice? :lol

They had a midnight launch for NBA2K11, if they don't have the game in stock I give up on the gaming industry. I think this would be my 6th time giving up.

brandonh83 said:
They had a midnight launch for NBA2K11, if they don't have the game in stock I give up on the gaming industry. I think this would be my 6th time giving up.
:lol well it should stay at 5 times, because the GS I work at has had it since last week and we are a smaller store so we are usually last on the shipping list. So retailers should have it this morning.

DevilWillcry said:
:lol well it should stay at 5 times, because the GS I work at has had it since last week and we are a smaller store so we are usually last on the shipping list. So retailers should have it this morning.

even if I have to wait a bit, no biggie, there's tons to do around the Gamestop. it's out of town, which sucks, but it's only about 25-30 minutes away.

I'm not sure why there's not a Gamestop where I live, it's a pretty good-sized town but there's a "real city" (Lexington, KY) nearby so basically everything goes there and not here. hell they have three Gamestops.

linkboy

Ok, I'm currently a little pissed at UPS.

I got the game from Amazon with release day shipping and I checked the tracking and the game is currently out for delivery in Billings, MT. Slight little problem, I live in Great Falls, MT, which is about 3 hours away.

Stuff like this always happens to me, kinda pisses me off.

JohngPR

Dance In My Blood said:
Nevermind, Eric Neigher review. Should have realized.

That actually explains a lot.. I don't know why he gets any work in the industry. I can't think of one person that respects his opinion enough to take it into consideration so what's the point?

brandonh83 said:
All right Gamestop, it's time to open.

Spread 'em baby. The doors, I mean.

Make sure not to bust a nut first.

:lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Woo, finally can pick up Castlevania today. I have a job interview (for a job I'm very very excited about), so I'll have to pick up the game on the way back from that.

Ashodin

HOLY SHIT!

THE MORNING SUN
HAS VANQUISHED
THE HORRIBLE
WAITING.

2qkjpmf.jpg

:D

Top Bottom