• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

Victrix

*beard*
DennisK4 said:
To those with the game:

What difficulty are you playing on and how challenging is the combat?

Also curious about this. If the higher difficulty is 'more enemies of different types, different moves being used, more challenging', I'm interested

If it's the usual 'enemies take 4x as much damage and kill you in 1/4 as many hits' I'll pass

DennisK4 said:
To those with the game:

I started on Hard, but it was a mistake because the enemies hit way too hard for the small healthbar you start off with (dead in 2-3 hits). Therefore, after Chapter 1, I switched to Normal until I get more health.

Combat took some getting used to since it has it's differences from God of War, but now I'd like to think I'm pretty damn good at it. I went on a killing spree last night at an infinite enemy spot just because I was unstoppable - ended up killing ~140 enemies before moving on. :lol
The moves are pretty cool and for the most part, effective. I can only think of one move I haven't used much because it isn't very helpful.
So yeah, I wouldn't consider it too much more challenging than God of War.. only slightly.

george_us

revolverjgw said:
Mixed feelings so far. I absolutely love the environments, but I wish this was more "Demon's Souls" and less "Van Helsing". The Hollywoodized presentation kind of saps any potential horror out of it... I've been walking along admiring the mood (this dude runs like he's on high on speed, I have to walk to even see what the world looks like), then the "epic music" and crazy action starts up...
Holy shit yes yes YES. I was actually hoping the game would be more "hollywoodized" because I'm a sucker for that shit. I'll hopefully be playing this in less than an hour!:D

Synless

Is the code for the Symphony of the Night game specific to a console? Like if I bought the PS3 version and wanted 360 Arcade version of SotN can I do that? If not does anyone want to trade codes because I already have the PS1 version off PSN.

burgerdog

DennisK4 said:
To those with the game:

Playing on hard, almost done with the game now. You actually have to be good at the combat and dodge cancel your ass out of combos or be prepared to die a lot. Parry works wonder, too.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Just got mine today now i have to wait until after work and my doctor's appt.

Amazon's 99 cent release date delivery rocks!

Dascu

Host Samurai said:
There have always been two approaches on how this series can be handled in 3D in my mind.

1) As a GoW combat heavy platform game

2) As a Demons Souls type game with platforming.

I think this game has the Castlevania look down IMO.The Castlevania series has never really been about the combat since it was pretty basic, but good combat in a game is always a plus and there does appear to be platforming in this game, something that Lament of Innocence lacked which made it NOT feel like a Castlevania game. The challenge of the series has been about patterns, timing and platforming. To me Castlevania games always need two things for me to be Castlevania.

1) Death
2) Dracula

The early CV games never only took place inside a castle the entire time. The games went from cemeteries, caves, underground caverns etc so saying the game does not take place in the castle the entire time "is not Castlevania" have probably not played the earlier games in the series. Its like saying Rondo is not a Castlevania game because there is a stage that takes place during the day.
I'm not sure why you think that, because the most recent Castlevania games (Portrait of Ruin, Order of Ecclesia and Rebirth) were mostly set outside of the castle.

For the rest of your post, I agree that Death and Dracula are prominent characters of the franchise and should be present in some shape or form.

Fucking amazon put my special edition in a bubble envelope again and as a result it's all messed up. Have to wait an extra day because they're dumbasses. :mad: Really getting tired of them.

Ganondorfo

Despera said:
It shouldn't matter to you because the new soundtrack will overshadow it.

Are there hummable tunes in this one? Because every castlevania (even the gameboy ones) have hummable tunes.

LowParry

LaneDS said:
So which classic tunes made the cut? I read a few did, but haven't seen any specifics.

I'm skimming through the Soundtrack now (since I'm stuck at work in the mean time) and...I can't find any familiar toons. 20 tracks. I'm sure there's more to the entire game but so far, a lot of the music is something you'd hear right off of a movie. No guitar riffs or fast paced music. Very strange. Probably a bit too dramatic though I'm sure it's a different experience when you're playing in game.

Ricker

Despera said:
The ability to display enemy health bars is very useful.

But I'll admit that I'm getting tired of Patrick Stewart's narration.

It`definetly not one of his best delivery,he sounds bored out of his mind...

Dascu

LaneDS said:
So which classic tunes made the cut? I read a few did, but haven't seen any specifics.
Can't say I remember any other than the two mentioned in the OP (Waterfalls and Vampire Killer).

JohngPR

Sounds like we need a spoiler thread. ;-P

I'm still waiting for my copy. I'd say I get my copy with release date delivery between 12:30-1:00 PM 75% of the time. This is not one of those times. :(

I was hoping I can get a few hours in before I had to pick my son up from school, but that's not happening now.

LowParry

Dascu said:
Can't say I remember any other than the two mentioned in the OP (Waterfalls and Vampire Killer).

The track for Waterfalls doesn't even sound like it. Maybe hints. Unless there's another track within the game that's more core to that piece of music. And no dice of any sign of Vampire Killer in the OST that comes with the CE.

Dascu

CcrooK said:
The track for Waterfalls doesn't even sound like it. Maybe hints. Unless there's another track within the game that's more core to that piece of music. And no dice of any sign of Vampire Killer in the OST that comes with the CE.
The remix of Vampire Killer isn't quite like the rest of the OST. Rather interesting use of the tune in the game though.

LowParry

Might be too early for one. I'd give it a couple of days since the game is out today. When the spoiler tags start going heavy about end game spoilers and the likes, that'd be a good time.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Fucking amazon put my special edition in a bubble envelope again and as a result it's all messed up. Have to wait an extra day because they're dumbasses. :mad: Really getting tired of them.

That stinks. Mine arrived in a bubble envelope as well, but mine turned out all right.

I only put in maybe an hour of the game so far and am really enjoying it. I started on the normal/default level. Going to wait until it's dark (even though it's quite gray out) to put some real time into it.

Dascu said:
Which CV game had a goblin enemy?

That's not really the point. The vibe of the boss fight in general, the enemy design and the environment is what does it for me.

Anyway, at the ice titan, what are you guys doing to avoid the attack where it just punches down at the ground at you? Jumping and rolling away doesn't seem to work for me.

JohngPR

Man, talk about ask and you shall receive. LOL

156fi83.jpg

At least I get to play it for 45 minutes before I have to pick up my son from school. :p

The LE is so nice but it kind of sucks that it doesn't really stack well against my other PS3 games, so it's on the top of my shelf now as a display item :lol

Glix

brandonh83 said:
That's not really the point. The vibe of the boss fight in general, the enemy design and the environment is what does it for me.

Anyway, at the ice titan, what are you guys doing to avoid the attack where it just punches down at the ground at you? Jumping and rolling away doesn't seem to work for me.

you have to jump, but it still hits you if you are close, even if it doesn't touch you. You have lots of time to get back to it and grapple up.

andymcc

Banned
Amazon delivered...

Gotta wait for my girlfriend to get done with her midterm so i can pick her up... don't want any interruptions. ; p

Lyonaz

Bought the game today and Holy Watery Goodness for Undead Vampires does the game look beautiful!
Currently in Chapter 2 and art direction is great, one of the best looking games this gen. Cutscenes are amazing and voice acting are well done.

Combat is nice and the battles are fun. I just dodge roll, throw knives and whip them to dead and shit, not so much blocking at the moment. Also you unlock some nice sets of moves. Competent and diverse enough to not get boring.

What I don't like is the camera, good god that thing gives me a headache and I think I will get motion sickness if I play too long. It just moves and moves and moves. FFS stand still and just pan out or something. I even notice when you open your journal it sometimes slighty moves like I'm standing on a boat. :lol Maybe I'm crazy and am just imagining things.

anddo0

I'm about to fire this up for the first time.. What's the general consensus on difficulty? Skip normal altogether or what?

I don't mind a Demon's Souls lvl challenge as long as it's not cheap.

burgerdog

Dascu said:
What's the problem?
Titan's Graveyard, after inserting the first rune and proceeding further you get to a Titan that needs two runes. Where are they? I've looked all around and found nothing. I got to an area with coffins(enemy that dropped first rune) and nothing happens, no enemies pop up.

brandonh83 said:
Just jump out of the way right before his fist hits the ground. It's easy.
EDIT: Err didn't see someone already answered.

Dascu

burgerdog said:
Titan's Graveyard, after inserting the first rune and proceeding further you get to a Titan that needs two runes. Where are they? I've looked all around and found nothing. I got to an area with coffins(enemy that dropped first rune) and nothing happens, no enemies pop up.
On the same big "island" with the coffins that don't do anything, but not in the same section, look for a cave that's really dark at the end. You should know what I'm talking about as it's really noticable. At the end of the cave, you can actually go right and into a new area.

This is an area where the player from that stream that I watched got stuck on for a good half hour and none of us viewers had a clue what to do either. He eventually found it by just randomly running around and accidentally finding that cave has an exit. I blame the terrible camera placement and odd level design in the sense that you can reach the area with the coffins before you're supposed to go there.

burgerdog

Dascu said:
On the same big "island" with the coffins that don't do anything, but not in the same section, look for a cave that's really dark at the end. You should know what I'm talking about as it's really noticable. At the end of the cave, you can actually go right and into a new area.

This is an area where the player from that stream that I watched got stuck on for a good half hour and none of us viewers had a clue what to do either. He eventually found it by just randomly running around and accidentally finding that cave has an exit. I blame the terrible camera placement and odd level design in the sense that you can reach the area with the coffins before you're supposed to go there.
I've gone to the right and only found a corpse with a scroll, I have also been to the cave but it seems to be a dead end. Do I have to break the wall?

Dascu

burgerdog said:
I've gone to the right and only found a corpse with a scroll, I have also been to the cave but it seems to be a dead end. Do I have to break the wall?
It's not a dead end. It's possible you have to break a wall. Try attacking or jumping around.

burgerdog

Dascu said:
It's not a dead end. It's possible you have to break a wall. Try attacking or jumping around.
Wow, wowowowowow. Talk about punishing the player because the camera fucking sucks there.

Thanks.

john tv

Played up to the underground caves tonight. Not sure how I feel about it yet. It's really beautiful but it honestly doesn't feel like Castlevania at all apart from the main character looking like a Belmont. The combat is already starting to get repetitive, which makes me nervous because I heard the game is long and I've barely scratched the surface.

I will say the
ice titan
fight was pretty badass, but I dunno. Overall I feel like something's missing, just haven't quite put my finger on it yet.

Will play more tomorrow. :)

Fuck this SOTC rip-off boss battle, I've died like 8 times :( That's the thing with quick timey or overblown event battles, they're cool the first couple times then you just want them to be over with but they take forever.

Top Bottom