• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

Suzzopher

DevilWillcry said:
I'm going in too :D See ya guys on the other side

IMAG0043.jpg

You only have one disc :(

I find it odd how reviewers are saying "It looks nothing like Castlevania" They didnt say that about other 3D Vania titles which is weird. I think they nailed the look of Gabriell as a main CV protagonist. Also the style is very reminiscent to Pre SotN especially CV 3 and Super CV.

Its also annoying that they review this game average while the next "cool" FPS game will get in the 9's and its the exact same game they played last year. Its like all reviewers are FPS fanboys or are getting paid by publishers. It will be a joke if that new MoH game gets anything more than a 7 when it looks and plays just like CoD while these same reviewers will criticize CV because its like GoW.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
You should find a copy of Dracula X Chronicles as well. Rondo of Blood is perfection.

Ashodin

Load times are insanely fast after you install.

Game is pretty awesome, I love the "stage" structure ala Castlevania from NES days.

Playing through on Knight mode. HARDCORE DIFFICULTY YO

Teknoman

Maxrpg said:
Load times are insanely fast after you install.

Game is pretty awesome, I love the "stage" structure ala Castlevania from NES days.

Playing through on Knight mode.
HARDCORE DIFFICULTY YO

29yjqlu.jpg

JohngPR

So how hard is hard mode?

I don't mind a challenge, but if it's Demon's Souls kind of hard, I'd rather play it on normal.

Tokubetsu

Teknoman said:

I always try to play on the hardest difficulty off the bat (achievements). I'm not into replaying games like three times in a row (So close to/after release). I try to be effecient with my time :lol

Taking my sweet time with Halo: Reach Legendary ATM and kinda wish I had just started out on Legendary instead of doing a heroic run first :lol

Ponn

Banned
Man. I was off work today, burned through Aqua's story in KH BBS last night and this morning to beat that and get it out of the way for Castlevania and now my amazon release date delivery has been delayed due to mechanical errors. What the hell, what a curse! What is UPS but a miserable little pile of secrets!

burgerdog

JohngPR said:
So how hard is hard mode?

I don't mind a challenge, but if it's Demon's Souls kind of hard, I'd rather play it on normal.
It's tough in some areas and requires you to be efficient with the combat system, that's the best part.

Ashodin

Fuuuuck I'm stuck on the second stage trial, it makes you have low life and you have to beat every enemy without gaining health. Castlevania being a hard game, welcome back :lol

Ricker

Everything is awesome about this game so far,expect the fucking QTE on Bosses that if you miss one even if the Boss has no more health meter,he refills some health and you have to continue the fight... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!! I hate that so much,I might never finish this game now...

burgerdog

Maxrpg said:
Fuuuuck I'm stuck on the second stage trial, it makes you have low life and you have to beat every enemy without gaining health. Castlevania being a hard game, welcome back :lol
It doesn't make you have low health. You simply started the stage with low health, it doesn't replenish when you start a stage. So if you're having trouble go finish a stage with full health and try it again.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'll probably just play on normal. I'm not as patient as I once was.

Ashodin

burgerdog said:
It doesn't make you have low health. You simply started the stage with low health, it doesn't replenish when you start a stage. So if you're having trouble go finish a stage with full health and try it again.
Ah I see. That's still hardcore! It means you can essentially turn any level into a challenge of skill if you keep low health.

Host Samurai said:
Its also annoying that they review this game average while the next "cool" FPS game will get in the 9's and its the exact same game they played last year. Its like all reviewers are FPS fanboys or are getting paid by publishers. It will be a joke if that new MoH game gets anything more than a 7 when it looks and plays just like CoD while these same reviewers will criticize CV because its like GoW.

Well, maybe it's not as good as GoW and at the same time does not feel like a Castlevania game? I have only played the demo, but this is the vibe I'm getting. The "bububu fps" meme is getting really old.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
schennmu said:
Well, maybe it's not as good as GoW and at the same time does not feel like a Castlevania game? I have only played the demo, but this is the vibe I'm getting. The "bububu fps" meme is getting really old.

Except that if feels exactly like a castlevania. Just not as much the Iga Metroidvanias.

Zerokku said:
Except that if feels exactly like a castlevania. Just not as much the Iga Metroidvanias.

Ok, I guess I went into the game with wrong expectations then. "Old school" Castlevania is pretty much dead to me. SOTN > Rondo of Blood for me. Demo just felt like a GoW rip off though. Blame the devs for choosing a bad section then?

Tokubetsu

I think one of the main reasons why this reboot will be a good thing will be to shake up people's "Castlevania" idea. Castlevania should be about two things. A castle at some point in your game and Dracula (or some equally as badass big bad vampire). Igavanias are so entrenched in peoples head that if they aren't in a castle and killing skeletons from the jump, it's not Castlevania.

RavenFox

Banned
Ponn01 said:
Man. I was off work today, burned through Aqua's story in KH BBS last night and this morning to beat that and get it out of the way for Castlevania and now my amazon release date delivery has been delayed due to mechanical errors. What the hell, what a curse! What is UPS but a miserable little pile of secrets!
well played lol

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
HOLY FUCK !!

With the release of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow this week, a secret character will be playable after meeting certain conditions within the game.

Solid Snake

Playing on Knight mode as well.

I dunno. It's very Castlevania to me. Currently fighting some
big ass goblin in a cemetery behind an old weathered mausoleum
. I don't really know what else this game needs to be more "Castlevania like." It's better.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Question for those who have the retail disc:

Is the frame rate in the retail build 20 or 30 fps?

I am not engaging in graphic wars, I just played the Xbox demo and want to make an informed purchase. 20fps isn't a automatic turn-off for me, the demo had very smooth presentation and I greatly appreciate the seamless transitions.

Sn4ke_911 said:
HOLY FUCK !!

With the release of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow this week, will be playable after meeting certain conditions within the game.

Solid Snake
Your URL tag was broken and spoiled shit. Spanks duder.

Dascu

brandonh83 said:
Playing on Knight mode as well.

I dunno. It's very Castlevania to me. Currently fighting some
big ass goblin in a cemetery behind an old weathered mausoleum
. I don't really know what else this game needs to be more "Castlevania like." It's better.
Which CV game had a goblin enemy?

Once the game is out, perhaps we could have a nice little discussion on whether or not this is true to the Castlevania franchise. I definitely have my share of issues with the game.

Tokubetsu said:
I think one of the main reasons why this reboot will be a good thing will be to shake up people's "Castlevania" idea. Castlevania should be about two things. A castle at some point in your game and Dracula (or some equally as badass big bad vampire). Igavanias are so entrenched in peoples head that if they aren't in a castle and killing skeletons from the jump, it's not Castlevania.
You realize "in a castle" and "killing skeletons" describes the first level of several Actionvanias too, right?

Segata Sanshiro said:
Your URL tag was broken and spoiled shit. Spanks duder.
I actually thought that was common knowledge by now. I heard the rumor a few days ago and heard it several more times while broadcasting the game. It's really not that big of a deal.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
The "is it or is it not Castlevania?" is a really poor approach to a review and doesn't help anybody. If people are going to waste their review text on this topic, they need to give some details about what Castlevania means to them, so that the reader can decide whether those concerns are relevant for them.

Also, the combat wasn't button mashy, even in the demo. If you stand there and hit the button repeatedly, you get hit (more true for the big warg than the little werewolves). If anything, I was worried that the enemies would too often interrupt your combos so that you never get to do the really fancy stuff.

Reviewers should have to explain what they mean when they say button masher, too. It gets thrown out there constantly and I always want to know more. Neigher compares the game directly to Bayonetta, which of course has better combat, but also allows a similar degree of mashing. You can hit punch over and over again and you will succeed in doing a combo. You still have to dodge when appropriate, but I don't see how this is different from Lords of Shadow. People need to distinguish between when button mashing is possible versus when it's all there is to the combat.

Revolutionary said:
I actually thought that was common knowledge by now. I heard the rumor a few days ago and heard it several more times while broadcasting the game. It's really not that big of a deal.
No, I guess not. Thanks, I almost gave a fuck about that shitty secret for a second there.

heringer

Anyone else having problems with the controls?

It's hard to explain, but when the camera suddenly changes you kinda get a little disoriented, with Gabriel going to a direction you don't want to. Only way to adjuste is to return the analog stick to the neutral position. Not a deal breaker, but coupled with the camera that NEVER stand still (it's always shaking a little bit, no matter what), bad angles and the excessive number of invisible walls in places that shouldn't have invisible walls, it gets a little annoying.

Mixed feelings so far. I absolutely love the environments, but I wish this was more "Demon's Souls" and less "Van Helsing". The Hollywoodized presentation kind of saps any potential horror out of it... I've been walking along admiring the mood (this dude runs like he's on high on speed, I have to walk to even see what the world looks like), then the "epic music" and crazy action starts up...

I thought this supposed to be like CV4, but it couldn't be further from that game and its scary silent movie vibe, measured tempo and eclectic, dissonant music. Then again, I guess with a budget like this, they had to cater to a certain crowd. Demon's Souls + platforming, there's the 3D Castlevania 4 I wanted. This feels like God of War with a crap framerate.

But that's still a fun game, and I love the gothic imagery. The art direction will easily carry me through this game even if I was to start to get bored of the gameplay.

Glix

Played a little past the first boss last night.

Loving the game. I see the framerate issues that people are talking about, but it hasn't messed me up in combat or anything like that.

The environments are spectacular. There are tons of AAA touches, like the drawings in the book, most games would just use the 3d models from ingame or something.

Patrick Stewart rocks.

So after about an hour with the game I'm incredibly pleased with the game as a whole, and the fucking limited edition packaging is downright GORGEOUS. I'm pleased overall with this purchase, and enjoying it more than GOW3, mainly because the story and setting seems a bit more fresh. There's a great blend of mythology, theology, and iconic scenery in this one.

Despera

Banned
The ability to display enemy health bars is very useful.

But I'll admit that I'm getting tired of Patrick Stewart's narration.

There have always been two approaches on how this series can be handled in 3D in my mind.

1) As a GoW combat heavy platform game

2) As a Demons Souls type game with platforming.

I think this game has the Castlevania look down IMO.The Castlevania series has never really been about the combat since it was pretty basic, but good combat in a game is always a plus and there does appear to be platforming in this game, something that Lament of Innocence lacked which made it NOT feel like a Castlevania game. The challenge of the series has been about patterns, timing and platforming. To me Castlevania games always need two things for me to be Castlevania.

1) Death
2) Dracula

The early CV games never only took place inside a castle the entire time. The games went from cemeteries, caves, underground caverns etc so saying the game does not take place in the castle the entire time "is not Castlevania" have probably not played the earlier games in the series. Its like saying Rondo is not a Castlevania game because there is a stage that takes place during the day.

RavenFox

Banned
Sn4ke_911 said:
HOLY FUCK !!

With the release of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow this week, a secret character will be playable after meeting certain conditions within the game.

Solid Snake
Fuck You a thousand times.
I have no one to blame but myself...what horrible thread to have a curse indeed

Top Bottom