• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

burgerdog

robut said:
Fuck this SOTC rip-off boss battle, I've died like 8 times :( That's the thing with quick timey or overblown event battles, they're cool the first couple times then you just want them to be over with but they take forever.
Adapt! That boss could be beaten in under 2 minutes easily. It's very short if you know what you're doing.

burgerdog said:
It's the only time it has kept me from progressing.
Try looking for all the life/light/shadow gems in the previous levels. There's so many passages obscured by horrible camera angles, much like what you just went through. I found that a good way to look for missing items in the levels is to just run against the perimeter of every area. You're bound to find it.

Then there's the times when the camera decides to focus on the purdy background vistas instead of the enemies you're fighting behind the camera.

yeah the Titan fight was really fun to me and once I figured out the rhyme and rhythm it was pretty easy even on Knight mode.

and bless me bones, I just heard an extremely subtle rendition of Vampire Killer during the first stage of chapter 2. I wasn't sure at first but then it looped and I was like yeeaahhhh

burgerdog

john tv said:
Played up to the underground caves tonight. Not sure how I feel about it yet. It's really beautiful but it honestly doesn't feel like Castlevania at all apart from the main character looking like a Belmont. The combat is already starting to get repetitive, which makes me nervous because I heard the game is long and I've barely scratched the surface.

I will say the
ice titan
fight was pretty badass, but I dunno. Overall I feel like something's missing, just haven't quite put my finger on it yet.

Will play more tomorrow. :)
You still lack a ton of abilities, give the game a chance. Honestly, what did people expect once we knew it was going to be an action game like god of war? Is god of war, dmc, ng, and bayonetta repetitive because all you do is kill enemies? Or is Uncharted boring because you're shooting 75% of the time? Not sure why this game is being singled out.

Barakov

I got my copy. I just
beat the ice titan.
That fight was pretty good.

I'm still undecided on the combat. I'm going to have to play more before saying this or that. However, thus far of what I played, I'm enjoying myself.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Went to go pick up my copy for Gamestop, and they gave me a t shirt? :lol

I guess they had too many or something. The guy gave me XXL. I feel like I should be offended. :lol

Dizzle24

Stuck...for over an hour. Underground caves or whatever on chapter 2. I found 1 of the 2 items I need to proceed and have been circling the entire level over and over and over and cannot find the last key. :(

Despera

Banned
burgerdog said:
Damn, stuck again and nothing is popping up on google. I wish the game had a hint system like Uncharted 2.

Getting stuck in a modern-age game!? So stuck you even googled for help!?

Sounds great!

george_us

Barely 10 minutes into the game buts its fucking awesome so far. This game has a certain cheese factor that definitely makes it Castevania, at least to me.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Any consensus on which version is best to get?
I'm not the super-anal type, so if the differences boil down to nitpicking over the expected idiosyncrasies of each console's approach to graphics processing or controller preference, I'm good with a simple "they're both on par" response. :)

Edit - For what its worth, I did read the first hundred or so posts in the older comparisons thread, but it just got too stupid for words.

Jin

I'm at work listening to the soundtrack. So far the music is amazing. It may not be Castlevania-type music, but to me a good soundtrack is a good soundtrack.

JohngPR

I'm at
the deadly bog
and I have to say that the art direction is pretty damn impressive.

Linky for those that consider locations spoilers.

Also, one thing I kind of dig about the fixed camera is that it has a slight sway to it, as if someone is holding it. Not sure if it fits with the period in time the game takes place, but I kind of dig it. It gives it a more cinematic feel.

Mejilan said:
I'm not the super-anal type, so if the differences boil down to nitpicking over the expected idiosyncrasies of each console's approach to graphics processing or controller preference, I'm good with a simple "they're both on par" response. :)

Edit - For what its worth, I did read the first hundred or so posts in the older comparisons thread, but it just got too stupid for words.

From what I played of the demos, they are both on par. Just depends on your controller preference I'd say.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Glix said:
The voice over helps make it quite funny. :D

Side note, I LOATHE playing SOTN with my XBOX controller. Anyone else have this issue?

Not really, because I had the wherewithal to buy the game for PSone 10 years ago. :p

Glix

Mejilan said:

Supposedly they are both on par. I think I heard that the XBOX has more framerate issues, but only if you don't install.

Grrrrr. I love that this game was made with much love, lots of little extra touches and stuff, but that was obviously all MSteam, as the Konami stuff sucks. Worst instruction book EVER and no reverse cover art (PS3)?? Totally lame. My Greatest Hits R:FOM has reverse art, and they knew you wouldn't be able to see it due to the red case! (and they are reprinted not just leftovers from the original print run, as they have the greatest hits banner)

Come on Konami! Stop spending all that money on weed for the guys you send to E3, and start giving your AAA games the packaging they deserve!

Teknoman

Block and dodge on the same button sounds like it would work great in combat. Stand still to block an incoming attack, move the analog while holding it to dodge, while not having to actually take your right fingers off the combat/jump buttons.

Teknoman said:
Block and dodge on the same button sounds like it would work great in combat. Stand still to block an incoming attack, move the analog while holding it to dodge, while not having to actually take your right fingers off the combat/jump buttons.

It's awesome. Having no trouble with the L2 block/dodge at all.

Mejilan

Digital-Hero said:
Anyone have real pics of the Limited Edition?

Just checked the mail, and my PS3 version arrived from Amazon.
Give me a few minutes and I'll have pics posted of the packaging, disc(s), etc.

Glix said:
Worst instruction book EVER

Yeah I kind of chuckled when I looked at the instruction manual. It's empty and I don't even recall it having any colour in it. Useless.

But the in-game help/menus/tutorial is very polished and I'd much rather have all of that stuff polished nicely in-game than have a nice instruction manual. I hate games that just shove you into it and don't wean you onto the controls gradually through in-game instruction.

Actually, it's one of the things I hate about most demos - that one-screen showing a controller and the hundred things you can do with it before the game starts.

gunstarhero

Currently completed the bog, and beat the boss - now I'm looking for some runes.

SO far, Im liking it - but the tutorials/hints are really bugging me. Let me figure out there is a grapple point, or I can climb a ledge. Jeez :lol

The LE is very nice, but conflicting, as it doesn't come with the standard PS3 Blu-ray case. Some LE's at least have that in the box, but this one is all sort of integrated together. When you remove the outer, transparent slip you're left with a book-like case, with the artwork inside and the soundtrack/game disc at the end.

Just picked up a PS3 copy a minute ago from Gamestop. Also picked up a used Castlevania Curse of Darkness, which I haven't played before.

LOL at the instruction manual. Essentially 3 pages in b&w. :lol

Mejilan

ScrabbleBanshee said:
Yeah I kind of chuckled when I looked at the instruction manual. It's empty and I don't even recall it having any colour in it. Useless.

Not including the additional languages tacked on to the end, the instruction manual is a staggering 4 black and white pages. And this is in the LE, mind. They've giving Sega a run for their money in the "cheap as fuck" scale.

brandonh83 said:
The LE is very nice, but conflicting, as it doesn't come with the standard PS3 Blu-ray case. Some LE's at least have that in the box, but this one is all sort of integrated together. When you remove the outer, transparent slip you're left with a book-like case, with the artwork inside and the soundtrack/game disc at the end.

This kind of thing is a deal breaker for me on any kind of special edition anything. I remember when I made the mistake of ordering the collectors edition dark knight blu-ray... when I got it and realized that the damned disc was inside the shitty plastic model of the batcycle I traded it right away on craigslist for someone else's steelbook.

I'm all for a reasonably priced limited edition with extra goodies but they should include a standard case in the package so you can store the move/game normally along with everything else you've got!

RavenFox

Banned
Mejilan said:
Not including the additional languages tacked on to the end, the instruction manual is a staggering 4 black and white pages. And this is in the LE, mind. They've giving Sega a run for their money in the "cheap as fuck" scale.
Seriously? Even for the CE? wtf Konami

thetrin

GrumpyAlien said:
Just picked up a PS3 copy a minute ago from Gamestop. Also picked up a used Castlevania Curse of Darkness, which I haven't played before.

It's a terrible manual. One of my biggest pet peeves is shitty thin manuals, and this is actually worse than Activision's lame duck attempts.

burgerdog said:
You still lack a ton of abilities, give the game a chance. Honestly, what did people expect once we knew it was going to be an action game like god of war? Is god of war, dmc, ng, and bayonetta repetitive because all you do is kill enemies? Or is Uncharted boring because you're shooting 75% of the time? Not sure why this game is being singled out.
to be fair, bayonetta was immediately fun and engaging even in the demo. castlevania demo feels restricted from the start.

JohngPR

ScrabbleBanshee said:
I'm all for a reasonably priced limited edition with extra goodies but they should include a standard case in the package so you can store the move/game normally along with everything else you've got!

I wouldn't even call it reasonably priced. I've gotten much more from other LE's for either the same amount of money (Fallout 3, Mass Effect series) and even more from ones that were less (Blazblue).

Honestly, I'm kind of glad I didn't get the LE for this one. I might have sprung for it if it at least had a making of documentary or something.

$20 is too steep for what you got IMO.

Mejilan

Apologies in advance.
Lighting isn't so hot for iPhone photography.
I'm a terrible photographer.
Some of the packaging is too glossy, and I don't know how to compensate.
I'm testing a new iPhone photo-taking app.

d18eedb6.jpg

Complete package, front.

1911dbc9.jpg

Complete package, back.

b4a2b75d.jpg

Slipping book/box out of its plastic sleeve.

61797498.jpg

Book/box sans sleeve, front.

0b705980.jpg

Random page of art book.

706b0507.jpg

Soundtrack CD and track list.

8304af8f.jpg

Game disc and sad excuse for instruction manual.

fe6a4ad6.jpg

Book/box sans sleeve, back.

It's worth noting that by book/box, I mean that the whole thing is one integrated book-like package. The artbook, soundtrack CD + listing, game case holder + manual sleeve, etc. all opens up like one book type thing-a-ma-bob.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Feeling a bit disappointed with this. I suppose I set it up to be more than it could have been, but I feel that it WOULD be as good as I had hoped with a bit more polish. Framerate is crap, game is too segmented to feel like a journey, and it generally feels a bit rough around the edges. Quite a shame, I must admit. That said, after adjusting expectations, I've begun to enjoy it a bit more. It's certainly a strange kind of game and feels wholly different from anything else I've played recently. It may share some basic ideas with God of War but this is no God of War clone.

What is most remarkable is how often they mix it up. There is a ton of variety here both in terms of locales and gameplay elements. You are doing something different nearly every 5 minutes or so. The first chapter, for instance, has you fighting off wolves, engaging in a high speed horse battle, exploring a bog, solving puzzles (both real puzzles and traversal puzzles), platforming/traversing across huge chasms, and fighting something out of Shadow of the Colossus. This takes place all within a rainy village, a bog, a beautiful forest, and an icy lake and that's just the first chapter! It's pretty epic, if you think about it.

The second chapter has, thus far, kept the pace in regards to variation.

There's just enough jank here to somewhat spoil the fun, however. It could have used some more time in the oven or at least a PC version.

GrumpyAlien said:

Ohhh, Curse of Darkness was not great back in 2005 and it sure as hell isn't good now. I just tried it again the other day and was quite surprised at just how awful it looked and felt. It's a very dated game. I still can't figure out why, despite the simple ass geometry, they have N64-like fog in front of you throughout the game. At least it's 60 fps.

george_us

This ring puzzle is kinda hard and irritating. Then again I hate these kinds of puzzles.

Edit: I also echo dark10x's complaints about the framerate. At first I figured people were blowing it out of proportion the same way they did with GoWIII but, for some reason, there's a massive difference between 25fps and 30fps. It almost hurts my eyes at times (along with the fact that some areas, while beautiful, are often too visually busy). I just got past the bog but those are my complaints so far.

Mejilan

Just put about 15 minutes into it (not including cutscenes).
Lovely graphics.
Marred by shit frame rate.

Me-too combat with questionable (and unchangeable) button mappings.
I'll be saving further playing until after I complete my Kingdom Hearts series run.
And play more Monster Hunter.
And some Ys games.
And... well, you get the point.

Castlevania, meet shelf!

Torgo

So far, the game is like a mix of God of War and Uncharted, with no Castles in sight lol. It's really nice, but I'm actually kinda stuck at the moment, as it has branching paths that get a bit confusing.

Visuals are really good, and the soundtrack is pretty epic. There was even a boss battle that was very reminiscent of something from Shadow of the Colossus (not THAT big of a boss though.) At the moment though, I'm not sure if this should be a "Castlevania" title, but it's good no matter the name. Also, the fighting system is definitely deeper overall than what you'd get in a God of War game, but really, it does feel like the same gameplay mostly. Again, not a bad thing, I just haven't made up my mind about this one yet.

Draft

george_us said:
This ring puzzle is kinda hard and irritating. Then again I hate these kinds of puzzles.

Edit: I also echo dark10x's complaints about the framerate. At first I figured people were blowing it out of proportion the same way they did with GoWIII but, for some reason, there's a massive difference between 25fps and 30fps. It almost hurts my eyes at times (along with the fact that some areas, while beautiful, are often too visually busy). I just got past the bog but those are my complaints so far.
It's a big difference. It's an almost 20% drop from the standard.

Imagine if your salary dropped by almost 20%. You'd notice that shit, right? Or if 20% of your fingers fell off.

george_us

Mwhahaha the game just glitched on me. I'm on the
Ice Titan
and the dodge icon is stuck on the screen. It definitely feels like this game was pushed out a bit too soon. Three more weeks of dev time probably would of done this game wonders in the technical department.

vg260

Draft said:
It's a big difference. It's an almost 20% drop from the standard.

Imagine if your salary dropped by almost 20%. You'd notice that shit, right? Or if 20% of your fingers fell off.

Yeah, drop of 5 or so fps @ 60fps would not be as noticeable, but a hit when it's already that low it's much more significant.

Top Bottom