• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

TheJollyCorner said:
anyone here made any custom box covers/backs for the PS3 version yet???

If someone makes a really good one, I will more than likely order a PS3 case and make my own. I do love the LE though, it's very nice, I just really like having all my games together, just one of those things.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Mejilan said:
Just put about 15 minutes into it (not including cutscenes).
Lovely graphics.
Marred by shit frame rate.

Me-too combat with questionable (and unchangeable) button mappings.
I'll be saving further playing until after I complete my Kingdom Hearts series run.
And play more Monster Hunter.
And some Ys games.
And... well, you get the point.

Castlevania, meet shelf!

So you spent 60 dollars on a game and decided to stop playing after 15 minutes? Why don't you just give the money to me next time?

Sagitario

Mejilan said:
I'll be saving further playing until after I complete my Kingdom Hearts series run.
And some Ys games.

I'm currently playing Kingdom Hearts 1... and Monster Hunter Trii and Ys 7 should arrive next week, what a coincidence :D

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Mejilan said:
Apologies in advance.
Lighting isn't so hot for iPhone photography.
I'm a terrible photographer.
Some of the packaging is too glossy, and I don't know how to compensate.
I'm testing a new iPhone photo-taking app.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/Mejilan/Miscellaneous/d18eedb6.jpg
Complete package, front.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/Mejilan/Miscellaneous/1911dbc9.jpg
Complete package, back.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/Mejilan/Miscellaneous/b4a2b75d.jpg
Slipping book/box out of its plastic sleeve.

[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/Mejilan/Miscellaneous/61797498.jpg
Book/box sans sleeve, front.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/Mejilan/Miscellaneous/0b705980.jpg
Random page of art book.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/Mejilan/Miscellaneous/706b0507.jpg
Soundtrack CD and track list.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/Mejilan/Miscellaneous/8304af8f.jpg
Game disc and sad excuse for instruction manual.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/Mejilan/Miscellaneous/fe6a4ad6.jpg
Book/box sans sleeve, back.

It's worth noting that by book/box, I mean that the whole thing is one integrated book-like package. The artbook, soundtrack CD + listing, game case holder + manual sleeve, etc. all opens up like one book type thing-a-ma-bob.
I got the USA LE too. I feel ripped off. I got the OST and a quater of an artbook for $20 extra... POS.

Mejilan said:
Lovely graphics.

And some Ys games.

Castlevania, meet shelf!

You didn't even play past the tutorial sections? 0_o

What's the big idea? I installed disc 1, and put in disc 2, yet I was prompted to play from disc one.

Did all of the pre-release articles get it backwards?

One major complaint of mine so far is that your health does not regenerate at the start of each level, making this fight I'm at a bit tougher than it otherwise would be.

Also, and watch this, I can play fair and acknowledge some of the dumb shit I've said-- the framerate could have been better. This is an open invitation for Amir0x to lash out a shit-ton of told you so's, but yeah, it could've been better.

It's not hurting my enjoyment of the game at all, it doesn't get in the way of gameplay to me and the game is otherwise beautiful, but I can see how some would have problems with it and I'll fess up to that, absolutely.

Other than that I don't really have any problems with it and its by far the best 3D Castlevania, not just vastly superior to the other 3D titles but a great action game regardless.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow Limited Edition + T-Shirt

2zjl6xx.jpg

Ricker

Aren`t you guys tired of Boss ridden QTE fights...the Ice Boss was one of the most drawn out,frustrating Boss I fought in quite sometime...this is my last rant on QTE though because it seems that it`s going to be full of them so yeah...everything else though is pretty awesome,even Patrick Stewart`s delivery is getting back to his old form. :lol

Glix

Ricker said:
Aren`t you guys tired of Boss ridden QTE fights...the Ice Boss was one of the most drawn out,frustrating Boss I fought in quite sometime...this is my last rant on QTE though because it seems that it`s going to be full of them so yeah...everything else though is pretty awesome,even Patrick Stewart`s delivery is getting back to his old form. :lol

Did the Ice Boss even have a QTE part?

Torgo said:
So far, the game is like a mix of God of War and Uncharted, with no Castles in sight lol. It's really nice, but I'm actually kinda stuck at the moment, as it has branching paths that get a bit confusing.

I could really use a mini-map at times. You can't really get lost in these small levels, but I'd still like to have a map to refer to because of the branches and some of the more awkward camera shifts disorienting me.

Solo

Got the game (chose the PS3 version). Lord knows when I'll actually have time to play it, but I have the game. It better be good, brandon, or I'm coming for you!

RavenFox

Banned
I have a serious question to ask guys. Help me understand why the F'ing L2 is used for Dodge when we have a right analog stick sitting pretty? Seriously this cannot be a fluke. Someone on the dev team had to think this over. wtf were they thinking?

Solo said:
Got the game (chose the PS3 version). Lord knows when I'll actually have time to play it, but I have the game. It better be good, brandon, or I'm coming for you!

hey I didn't force this upon anyone.

it's good

RavenFox said:
I have a serious question to ask guys. Help me understand why the F'ing L2 is used for Dodge when we have a right analog stick sitting pretty? Seriously this cannot be a fluke. Someone on the dev team had to think this over. wtf were they thinking?

It's so that you don't have to take your thumb off the action buttons to dodge

Adam Blue

I think the LE looks great. A different take on the box design (or just that I haven't seen yet).

As for the game, it started off breathtaking. As I play, it seems to get a bit boring. Not many enemies, incredibly short levels (good for backtracking, bad for pace). Combat is easy, yet a little boring. I don't know the consensus around here on Dante's Inferno, but that set the bar for variable combat.

It certainly does not feel like Castlevania. I guess it's not such a bad thing since the game seems to be good, but I hope it gets deeper into the story and that the gameplay picks up a bit.

RavenFox

Banned
Baloonatic said:
I just wish it wasn't the same button as block.
THIS times a thousand.

revolverjgw said:
It's so that you don't have to take your thumb off the action buttons to dodge
I can dodge with the right analog just fine in combat. Push analog to move out of the way then proceed to continue lashing the beast. It really was a poor control choice to have L2 as dodge.

delume

Enjoyed the demo even though it all felt very familiar. Sizzle reel at the end was freaking awesome and made me actually want to check the full game out

burgerdog

My DS3 actually turned off from how long the ending / credits / post credit ending are.
The post-credit ending. Oh my god, holy shit. I did not see that one coming. Wow, wow.

RavenFox said:
THIS times a thousand.

I can dodge with the right analog just fine in combat. Push analog to move out of the way then proceed to continue lashing the beast. It really was a poor control choice to have L2 as dodge.

I agree, just pointing out the logic. I don't really feel a benefit, and I hate having the right analog stick just hanging out over there doing nothing

Really stupid question, but what attack button do you use to steal goblin bombs? The game keeps telling me to grab them (the goblins, that is), I do, but then they break the grab and I take damage.

LowParry

So after going through the first chapter (and sad that I have to go soon), you can tell they put a shit load of detail with everything. I think that may have gone over their heads with it or just didn't optimized good enough. Either way, the game is fantastic. You're put through (so far) a variety things to do (which was mentioned early with other posters). I really like what I'm playing. The plot has me pondering though I have some guesses that may point to obvious outcomes.

burgerdog

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Really stupid question, but what attack button do you use to steal goblin bombs? The game keeps telling me to grab them (the goblins, that is), I do, but then they break the grab and I take damage.
Grab them, press a face button when the circle is within the circle. Press R2/RT after you throw the goblin.

george_us

Overall I'm liking the combat in this even more than God of War III. It feels like I actually have to time my attacks or use my magic properly or else I'd be seriously fucked. The combat in GoWIII, as much as I loved it, felt REALLY button mashy at times and Lords of Shadow hasn't really felt like that. I do wish they would of found a way to make the enemies stand out a bit more though. They blend in a little too much with the background at times.

LowParry

Spirit of Jazz said:
Is this implemented differently in any way to how Ninja Gaiden implements block/dodge?

NG2S uses the L1 option but the same effect of block/parry/dodge with analog stick. I rather enjoy the config this way.

burgerdog

CcrooK said:
So after going through the first chapter (and sad that I have to go soon), you can tell they put a shit load of detail with everything. I think that may have gone over their heads with it or just didn't optimized good enough. Either way, the game is fantastic. You're put through (so far) a variety things to do (which was mentioned early with other posters). I really like what I'm playing. The plot has me pondering though I have some guesses that may point to obvious outcomes.
What's one your assumptions? I'd love to hear them. I just saw the ending and it is fucking nuts. If you can predict that, props to you.

Amir0x

Banned
hey_it's_that_dog said:
So you spent 60 dollars on a game and decided to stop playing after 15 minutes? Why don't you just give the money to me next time?

Mejilan buys every game ever made, and he probably plays less than 0.2% of them for more than 3 seconds. It's his money, let him waste it any way he wants!

Ranger X

Mejilan said:
Lovely graphics.

And some Ys games.

Castlevania, meet shelf!

So the bad FPS isn't gone right? Is it still as worse as in the demo?
I wonder if it's "less worse" or smooth on Xbox. Seriously, this will decide on wich console I am buying this...

LowParry

burgerdog said:
What's one your assumptions? I'd love to hear them. I just saw the ending and it is fucking nuts. If you can predict that, props to you.

What's the dudes name.
Zotec? Zodec? I have a feeling he's there to use Gabriel to raise Dracula himself.
But no really. That's like my only red flag of assumptions there. If I'm wrong, then I'm home free of being surprised. :D

LowParry

Ranger X said:
So the bad FPS isn't gone right? Is it still as worse as in the demo?
I wonder if it's "less worse" or smooth on Xbox. Seriously, this will decide on wich console I am buying this...

PS3, I've noticed the frames in certain areas of the demo higher. Particulars with the horse chase scene. I think Mercury just piled up a lot of detail and didn't think ahead of optimizing the game for a good steady or close to 30fps. You'll see what I mean when you get through the first couple of chapters. The details are mind boggling.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Adam Blue said:
I think the LE looks great. A different take on the box design (or just that I haven't seen yet).

As for the game, it started off breathtaking. As I play, it seems to get a bit boring. Not many enemies, incredibly short levels (good for backtracking, bad for pace). Combat is easy, yet a little boring. I don't know the consensus around here on Dante's Inferno, but that set the bar for variable combat.

It certainly does not feel like Castlevania. I guess it's not such a bad thing since the game seems to be good, but I hope it gets deeper into the story and that the gameplay picks up a bit.

I don't know what you mean by variable combat, but the consensus around here (I believe) is that Dante's Inferno did not set (or even meet) any bars.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
revolverjgw said:
You didn't even play past the tutorial sections? 0_o

Pretty much. It bears mentioning that I had absolutely no interest in playing the game before I bought it. Plopped it in due to idle curiosity. Curiosity was satisfied. I was not particularly engaged as a gamer. So I'm going back to other games I started before Castlevania came out and that I'm still currently enjoying. I'm also sick, dizzy, and nauseous and the game's sub-par framerate isn't helping. And I've got two other really, really bad 3D Castlevanias in my backlog that should come first. :lol

hey_it's_that_dog said:
So you spent 60 dollars on a game

I think it was $80, actually.

Sagitario said:
I'm currently playing Kingdom Hearts 1... and Monster Hunter Trii and Ys 7 should arrive next week, what a coincidence :D

Heee! I finished KH1 a few days ago, am about 2/3rds into KH DS and half way through Re: CoM. I'm also side-by-siding MH Tri and MHF2 Unite. And mixing in some Ys 7 here and there. :D

burgerdog

CcrooK said:
What's the dudes name.
Zotec? Zodec? I have a feeling he's there to use Gabriel to raise Dracula himself.
But no really. That's like my only red flag of assumptions there. If I'm wrong, then I'm home free of being surprised. :D
Haha, I see. You'll just have to find out.

Played through the first chapter and I am in love with the game. The visuals and orchestrated music are top notch. Even if there are framerate issues, I am not even noticing it and this is coming from a primary PC gamer. I think the combat is tight, even more-so then God of War. Initialing looking at the map I thought there were six areas, then I realized that it was just the six areas of the first level 0_o of twelve.

LowParry

Mejilan said:
I was there day 1 for Dante's Inferno, and that game suuuuuuuuuucks!

You are a bold human being who partakes in the full purchase, only to play a few minutes of it. I salute you.

Ranger X

CcrooK said:
PS3, I've noticed the frames in certain areas of the demo higher. Particulars with the horse chase scene. I think Mercury just piled up a lot of detail and didn't think ahead of optimizing the game for a good steady or close to 30fps. You'll see what I mean when you get through the first couple of chapters. The details are mind boggling.

Or maybe the game simply was rushed to make it this fall.
I really don't like this bad FPS festival. The comparison thread really is discouraging. I'm really thinking about skipping this game now. It's not like I would break a sweat anyways. My gaming time is precious and I only want to use it on top of line experiences -- and this FPS there isn't "top of the line" enough for me.

:(

Zeal

Banned
Adam Blue said:

i see you also made the jump from the dead forum that is evilavatar. welcome.

anyway, the game will pick up in a few chapters, once you start using your light and shadow magic. the amount of combos and enemy variations is also going to dramatically increase. switching between light and dark magic in order to pull off epic combos gets fun as hell about halfway through. the platforming and puzzle elements also become really in-depth, well designed and intricate. and the music...wow.

currently about 11 hours in and still loving this game. it will definitely hold me over until Fable 3.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Went with the PS3 LE. First "collector's edition" I've bought in a good long while. For once I feel it was actually worth the money. Classy as fuck.

CDnP1.jpg

so good

Top Bottom