• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

LowParry

Ranger X said:
Or maybe the game simply was rushed to make it this fall.
I really don't like this bad FPS festival. The comparison thread really is discouraging. I'm really thinking about skipping this game now. It's not like I would break a sweat anyways. My gaming time is precious and I only want to use it on top of line experiences -- and this FPS there isn't "top of the line" enough for me.

:(

Understandable. I wish I had more game time in to give you a better idea of how the game progresses. Through the first chapter, I ran into situations where it felt like a good 25 - 30 fps during combat and the likes. Cut scenes varied but to me, did detract from the game experience. But you'll find moments where you just want to stand still and look at how gorgeous the game looks. Gameplay I haven't had to suffer through because of low frame rates. I'm able to pull combos easily and parry incoming attacks without any noticeable lag.

I believe in your case, it may be worth to wait it out just a little bit longer. Read more impressions, etc., then go with the purchase or wait on a price drop.

darkjedi187 said:
so whats the census on difficulty. just about to start, warrior or paladin?

I rolled with Knight since Paladin isn't unlocked until beating the game. I've ran into instances with boss fights where I'm at cm of life and can only take about two hits before I die. So you really got to be on your toes with those fights.

Adam Blue

darkjedi187 said:
so whats the census on difficulty. just about to start, warrior or paladin?

I'm on whatever the hardest available is, and I'm backtracking a bit to help me out. It does get tough, but mainly due to having low health at checkpoints.

Like others in the genre, it's easy to master though.

burgerdog

Just beat the last boss in Paladin difficulty and did the trial. That feels so good mang. Now onto unlocking everything and beating all stages again.

My copy is here from Amazon -- but I'm having a blast with DR2.

Why is there so much French on my copy? I'm a bit scared to open it? Anyone else in the us get a PS3 copy from Amazon with French and English all over it?

JohngPR

burgerdog said:
What's one your assumptions? I'd love to hear them. I just saw the ending and it is fucking nuts. If you can predict that, props to you.

My guess is that ENDING PREDICTION:
Gabriel is the one that killed Marie. Patrick Stewart kind of tipped his hand when he said that sometimes things happen that are so messed up that you make yourself forget them, or something to that effect.

Don't tell me if I'm right or wrong yet, I want to beat the game first. :)

God damn, if the map screen is any indication, and the later chapters are just as long as these early ones, then this game is insanely long!

Shawn128

Just came in here to say that this game is really, really good. Great surprise so far, those of you who are on the fence need to jump in already.

Gonna jump back in to playing now :)

0 HP

will this game disappoint if im expecting some crazy, mgs-like story? im aware kojima didn't have much/any input on that front, but the reviews give off that impression

heringer

0 HP said:
will this game disappoint if im expecting some crazy, mgs-like story? im aware kojima didn't have much/any input on that front, but the reviews give off that impression
It's nothing like MGS.

george_us

Man this game is so good despite the flaws. I just got shadow magic and switching between light and shadow magic is awesome. I was worried this game was very combat heavy but so far there's been a nice mix of platforming and exploring. Plus this game is fucking gigantic. I'm only halfway through chapter two!

That demo was good. Had awesome music.

Expected shallow combat but it wasn't bad like dante's inferno, just forgettable like god of war.

so what was the final consensus on the different versions?

ps3 more stable?
360 more stable?
both unstable?

Wanna make a solid purchase here.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Hey guys, i was under the impression you could install both discs so that you only had to have disc 2 in the drive. I installed both discs and then tried to launch a new game from disc 2 and it asked me for disc 1? Is there some special option i missed?>?

~Kinggi~

Banned
burgerdog said:
Still can't get over the ending, my god. You're like what the fuck x100 and then 2 minutes later you say what the fuck again.
In a good way or in a disbelief at how bad it is way?

linkboy

~Kinggi~ said:
Hey guys, i was under the impression you could install both discs so that you only had to have disc 2 in the drive. I installed both discs and then tried to launch a new game from disc 2 and it asked me for disc 1? Is there some special option i missed?>?

Maybe its the other way around. You install Disc 2 and play with Disc 1 in the drive. I just got the same thing.

~Kinggi~

Banned
linkboy said:
Maybe its the other way around. You install Disc 2 and play with Disc 1 in the drive. I just got the same thing.
Well, the other way around would make more sense, only playing from disc 1 that is. Ill give that a go, but ill be pissed if im prompted to put in disc 2.

Phenomic

Maan loving this game, looks gorgeous but holy crap Hard mode is hard. I always seem to get to the boss with like no HP and if I get hit once I'm like dead but it's so rewarding when I finally get that no hit kill.

RS4-

~Kinggi~ said:

Install both, but use disc 1 up until it tells you to swap, then use disc 2 until you want to back track to those disc 1 only sections.

burgerdog

~Kinggi~ said:
It's very, very interesting to say the least. The DLC/Sequel will be a pain waiting for. I really like it, it's super ballsy of them. I'm sure some won't like it.

Simo

luka said:
Went with the PS3 LE. First "collector's edition" I've bought in a good long while. For once I feel it was actually worth the money. Classy as fuck.

CDnP1.jpg

so good

Yeah. I think as far as LEs goes Halo: Reach and this are among my favourites this year, if not in my entire collection. Disappointed in the content of the art book though but the full soundtrack and overall package make up for it. Love it!

Oh and the game's not bad too! :D

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Victrix said:
http://www.justin.tv/evilgamer

Streaming this live for a bit, PS3 version.

Probably playing MAG later with a friend, so this will just be early areas. Spoilers, obviously :p
You have a cool voice. For a second there is was like "fuck, they cut some witty dialogue of the 360 version" and then realized it was you.

I dunno if jtv is capping your fps, but the fps of the game on my 360 seems about the same. I welcome great multiplatform development like this. The fps doesn't bother me at all and I ussually bitch about these things.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
~Kinggi~ said:

Neither. It's just a huge mindfuck that'll leave you wondering what the hell you just watched for a long time and you will not expect it. I guess it's all up to where they take it from here that will determine if it was "good" or not.

After playing through the first couple of chapters I have one major problem with this title:

INVISIBLE WALLS

Seriously. There are SO MANY invisible walls in the game so far, I find myself running and jumping into nothing more than anything else because I'm trying to find as many of the secret areas as I can. If it wasn't for the incentive to look for secret areas, it might not be an issue but you practically have to try jumping into every invisible wall there is... there are so many places that look like you should be able to walk to, or should be able to jump onto, or climb on but can't that it's just crazy. It seems way more prone to this than other similar titles to me. Maybe it's just me.

JohngPR

People constantly compare this to God of War and I think that's an unfair assessment. Sure it has hack and slash type of gameplay reminiscent of those kind of games, but there's been that kind of gameplay prior to God of War coming out.

The game's style is nothing like God of War. If you want to really see something that is truly ripping off God of War then Dante's Inferno is a good example. Now that game is a blatant GOW rip off.

I just think saying that this game is like God of War is such a lazy statement to make.

owlbeak

JohngPR said:
People constantly compare this to God of War and I think that's an unfair assessment. Sure it has hack and slash type of gameplay reminiscent of those kind of games, but there's been that kind of gameplay prior to God of War coming out.

The game's style is nothing like God of War. If you want to really see something that is truly ripping off God of War then Dante's Inferno is a good example. Now that game is a blatant GOW rip off.

I just thinking saying that this game like God of War is such a lazy statement to make.
Agreed. Well put.

godhandiscen

JohngPR said:

I just thinking saying that this game like God of War is such a lazy statement to make.
I have only played GOW3, and I like it, but I associate this more with the non-rpg Castlevania games. It feels like a 3D update of the old formula.

Beth Cyra

JohngPR said:

The God of War thing I think is used because there are more then one popular types of Action games.

Devil May Cry/Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden and God of War, all stand at the top, and while the genre is labled the same they all play very differently. As it is God Of War is the one that LoS most resembles early on and visually that it makes since that someone would think and say it is similar to God of War when discussing the game.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Just started game. I didnt play the demo so the first area is fresh to me.

Couple of things that are amazing.

-Graphics! If it werent for the jaggies i would think it was pre-rendered with all the awesome rain!

-The book inventory is amazing. Super quick to load and smooth, clean look. Love the pencil animated moves.

-The level replayability! As soon as you beat a level it ranks you, shows you what difficulty levels completed, what percent completed, and unlocks a special trial mission to beat, which then unlocks combos and stuff.

-You can grind! Replaying levels adds to your experience points when you beat enemies. Thats fucking awesome.

-The chapter and location map is amazingly huge looking.

So far i love it.

ScrabbleBanshee said:
After playing through the first couple of chapters I have one major problem with this title:

INVISIBLE WALLS

Seriously. There are SO MANY invisible walls in the game so far, I find myself running and jumping into nothing more than anything else because I'm trying to find as many of the secret areas as I can. If it wasn't for the incentive to look for secret areas, it might not be an issue but you practically have to try jumping into every invisible wall there is... there are so many places that look like you should be able to walk to, or should be able to jump onto, or climb on but can't that it's just crazy. It seems way more prone to this than other similar titles to me. Maybe it's just me.

Same, and it's annoying and... uh, "gamey". There are spots that look like paths but aren't, and paths that are hardly hinted at. The only way to be sure you don't miss anything is to hug and jump at the invisible walls. This is often a problem in games like this but here it's really pervasive.

Another complaint... I have trouble with some of the "Uncharted" climbing sections because I can't see a ledge or handhold against the often cluttered backgrounds. Some of them shine and some don't. The game is full of weird little niggles like this (and big ones like the bad framerate) that give it a somewhat slapdash feel compared to more polished titles like GoW and Uncharted.

~Kinggi~

Banned
RS4- said:
Install both, but use disc 1 up until it tells you to swap, then use disc 2 until you want to back track to those disc 1 only sections.
I thought the whole point of the install process according to the press was it eliminated disc swapping....

godhandiscen

~Kinggi~ said:
I thought the whole point of the install process according to the press was it eliminated disc swapping....
It's 1 disc swap after 10 hours of gameplay...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
One thing I love about the two different attack buttons is that instead of weak and strong attacks, as every single other game seems to split them, Castlevania splits them between direct and area attacks. Considering you're wielding a whip, that's a really great idea.

Top Bottom