• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

brandonh83 said:
8Re83.jpg
1lGTN.jpg

Are either of these taken? I want the one with the cross but I will take the one of him and the girl.

Ok that video was fucking awesome. This was already my most anticipated title for the year. The next few days are going to be painful. At least there's the demo tomorrow :D.

Deware80

Banned
WOW. This is seriously looking like game of the year. I'm so happy the the combat system looks much more interesting than God of War's. Amazing.

Ghost Rider said:
2p2gc.jpg

Mine!(?)

Man I am screwed this autumn, new born baby, FO:NV, DR2, Reach, and this. I love me some castlevania. Time to crank up the Super Castlevania soundtrack

As a father of an eight month old son, I say congratulations. Also, as long as you're fairly comfy financially, you have nothing to feel guilty about when purchasing games and other such things for yourself no matter what the mrs. says =].

Mar

Himuro said:
Story, snorey. Show me blood and guts and whips and jumpin'. In that area the trailer delivered. This definitely looks like Castlevania now.

What is with developers having awful marketing until their products release?

Look around you man. You're the only one complaining.

Pimpbaa

What's Kojima's amount of involvement on this? It's not gonna have tons of unnecessary dialog and cutscenes is it?

Any consensus yet from reviews on whether the PS3 version or the 360 version is the one to get? I'm guessing since it's KojiPro PS3 would be the safe bet. I haven't updated my PS3 since GoW 3, so I'm kind dreading it. Looks like this, Fable III and my continued Reach addiction means my October is going to be sweet. I was on the fence, but this looks like it's getting great reviews already.

Phenomic

Pimpbaa said:
What's Kojima's amount of involvement on this? It's not gonna have tons of unnecessary dialog and cutscenes is it?

Can't officially say with 100% accuracy but I believe it was just a supervisor role for when the studio needed help from I recall that we've been told. Kojima helped out when they had technical issues and things of that nature. I believe I recall reading he encouraged they resigned Gabriel at some point as well.

Also I think I remember something to the effect that Mr. Cox stated that Kojima said it was his teams game and that they didn't always go with the advise Kojima gave.

TheExodu5

Banned
GillianSeed79 said:
Any consensus yet from reviews on whether the PS3 version or the 360 version is the one to get? I'm guessing since it's KojiPro PS3 would be the safe bet. I haven't updated my PS3 since GoW 3, so I'm kind dreading it. Looks like this, Fable III and my continued Reach addiction means my October is going to be sweet. I was on the fence, but this looks like it's getting great reviews already.

I would like to know as well.

I'm hoping the PS3 version is as good or better since I'd prefer DS3.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Video was fantastic but the buzzword and cliche infested narration nearly killed it for me. Let the game do the talking please!

I don't understand why they called the weapon the "combat cross" instead of vampire killer. =\

FrankT

GillianSeed79 said:

I haven't seen any direct comparisons yet. Though I assume that will happen when we have both demos avaliable and more clearly next week with the full game release. This isn't really Kojipro in house stuff however either.

Phenomic said:
Can't officially say but it was just a supervisor role for when the studio needed help from what we've been told. Kojima helped out when they had technical issues and things of that nature. I believe I recall reading he encouraged they resigned Gabriel at some point as well.

Yea pretty light from one source I've seen here stated as well.

Ridley327

DarknessTear said:
I saw some seriously verbatim Shadow of the Colossus shit in that video.
They actually showed off a gameplay video of fighting that Ice Titan a few weeks ago. I don't think Team ICO is going to be going to be losing any sleep over it. :D

That launch trailer was fine, but I have to admit it was mostly because of the music in the beginning. I bet a snuff film would be more awesome with SC4's intro.

I'm still not a fan of the brief pauses when attacks connect. Great, great environmental graphics, though.

ZeroRay

I'll probably get this on PS3 unless there is a massive performance difference.

Mainly because Reach isn't leaving my 360 for a while. :lol

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I'm very very happy to see some good looking exploration and platforming in there. The vertical element was desperately missing from the ps2 CVs.

Phenomic

luka said:
I'm very very happy to see some good looking exploration and platforming in there. The vertical element was desperately missing from the ps2 CVs.

How spolier'ish technically is this video, I want to watch but at the same time we're a week out and I don't really want to ruin some of the scenary etc.

CaptYamato said:
Are either of these taken? I want the one with the cross but I will take the one of him and the girl.

Look around on the first couple of pages, I know the cross one is taken, probably the other one too. I just provide the goods :lol

Himuro said:
It's a fantastic trailer. I'm not complaining about anything except for developers' need to show story as opposed to gameplay these days.

And the same generic buzzwords too.

The trailer was good but woulda been way better if they just shut that guy up.

LaneDS

Man, that's some serious teasing with the SCV4 music playing there. I'd be really pleased if that's some sort of unlockable... just changing the music made the game feel immediately like CV.

Great trailer, all in all.

Teknoman

Ganondorfo said:
We need great gothic rock/techno music tracks from michiru yamane and no boring john williams music.

I'll sorta agree, but this music fits as well. Go back and listen to CV IV or Bloodlines.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Phenomic said:
How spolier'ish technically is this video, I want to watch but at the same time we're a week out and I don't really want to ruin some of the scenary etc.

Not very. The kind of 'solutions' they give to certain puzzles seem like they would be extremely obvious anyway, like the kind you'd do right after you get a certain ability to learn how it works.

TheJollyCorner said:
Pre-ordered today. It's been a long road since I got Castlevania for Christmas in 1987. :D

Same here, sir. I was... 3 when the original came out :lol

And now that I'm nearing 28, yeah, this game has a standard to live up to because I've been a huge fan of the series ever since.

Ganondorfo said:
boring john williams music.

mcnabbz.gif

GillianSeed79 said:

PS3 is only one disc, 360 is two. If that's something you care about.

brandonh83 said:
Same here, sir. I was... 3 when the original came out :lol

And now that I'm nearing 28, yeah, this game has a standard to live up to because I've been a huge fan of the series ever since.

Same here played CV until it didn't work anymore. That trailer sold me on the game just ordered the LE. :D

Ridley327

I wasn't a particular fan of the orchestral stuff at the end, either, but that stems from not being particularly impressed with most orchestral stuff in gaming. The "inspirations" for such tracks are a bit too on-the-nose, if you catch my meaning.

I love Yamane's music as well but I prefer SCIV's classical-inspired soundtrack which I think fits the overall gothic atmosphere of Dracula's castle; it's elegant and doesn't sound like horror music which makes it even creepier, all things considered. This score sounds like it could end up having some real standouts and the classic remixed music should be great.

Jolly: my favorite personally is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbSByUwqy7Q

Vrakanox said:
New video contains spoilers like how to solve some of the puzzles and stuff.

http://g4tv.com/videos/48935/Castlevania-Lords-of-Shadow-Gameplay-Trailer/?quality=hd

HOLY GODDAMN SPOILERS!! Got tempted so i clicked.....instantly turned it off after 30 sec. I can't wait though, omg!!

I think i am actually one of the few people who like Castlevania 64. "Courage, don't leave me." Fucking great!! But lets hope this new one doesn't have skeleton warriors on bone motorcycles....

Ridley327

keltickennedy said:
HOLY GODDAMN SPOILERS!! Got tempted so i clicked.....instantly turned it off after 30 sec. I can't wait though, omg!!

I think i am actually one of the few people who like Castlevania 64. "Courage, don't leave me." Fucking great!! But lets hope this new one doesn't have skeleton warriors on bone motorcycles....
I'm with you on the CV64 love; it actually nailed the feel of the older 2D games to a T. A shame they also nailed the ultra-precise platforming with it. :lol

Top Bottom