• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Ridley327 said:
I'm with you on the CV64 love; it actually nailed the feel of the older 2D games to a T. A shame they also nailed the ultra-precise platforming with it. :lol
Love CV64. Best 3d Vania. And better than most of IGA's poo too.

Teknoman said:
HYPE. :lol

God I need to somehow put that in the OP :lol

CV64 was... well I won't say great because it carried a number of flaws, but yeah the atmosphere was incredible. Quite enjoyed it, and liked it more than the PS2 attempts.

pje122

Looks great, but very derivative...
I feel like you could replace that guy with Kratos in almost all of the different scenes and it would fit...

I gotta go in the opposite direction of Himmy here- I'm thrilled they are emphasizing a compelling, predominant story with this game. Sure, for 23+ years Castlevania has been a gameplay-oriented series, first and foremost, but just because the previous games have had fairly nonsensical stories doesn't mean it doesn't deserve something more gripping and emotional.

I think it's great- and I love what I see so far.

Anyone else remember when Konami was tossing around the idea of a Castlevania RPG shortly after Symphony of the Night hit? I remember thinking that would have been amazing if done right- and even now I'd love to see it with Ayami Kojima character designs & Michiru Yamane music. Too bad that never materialized. :D

pje122 said:
I feel like you could replace that guy with Kratos in almost all of the different scenes and it would fit...

During combat? Uh, sure why not I guess but during the cutscenes? Going to have to disagree.

TheJollyCorner said:
I gotta go in the opposite direction of Himmy here- I'm thrilled they are emphasizing a compelling, predominant story with this game. Sure, for 23+ years Castlevania has been a gameplay-oriented series, first and foremost, but just because the previous games have had fairly nonsensical stories doesn't mean it doesn't deserve something more gripping and emotional.

I'm the same way about this as I was toward Metroid: Other M-- I'm indifferent that it has a bigger emphasis on story. For me it's give or take. I don't mind it being there, as long as it's entertaining but I think here it could be great because Dracula/vampire stories almost always go down the shitter or get manhandled like in Twilight. It's good to see a product that treats some of the myths with a fair amount of respect.

Despera

Banned
That was a good trailer. Didn't see any real spoilers.

You guys made it sound like the trailer was the best thing ever. Anything to fuel the hype train, eh?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Despera said:

You guys made it sound like the trailer was the best thing ever. Anything to fuel the hype train, eh?

Yeah saw the trailer myself and it was good but haven't caught the hype yet. Still buying the game.

brandonh83 said:
I'm the same way about this as I was toward Metroid: Other M-- I'm indifferent that it has a bigger emphasis on story. For me it's give or take. I don't mind it being there, as long as it's entertaining but I think here it could be great because Dracula/vampire stories almost always go down the shitter or get manhandled like in Twilight. It's good to see a product that treats some of the myths with a fair amount of respect.

I guess I'm just still waiting for someone to make a competent Vampire Hunter D game. :D

luka

Loves Robotech S1
pje122 said:

What a silly thing to say. Technically you could replace almost any character in a similar genre with another and make it fit.

Pimpbaa

pje122 said:

Yeah but the God of War series sorta felt like a castlevania in 3d to begin with (the whip like weapons i'm referring to).

Despera said:

I'm just speaking for myself. But as a gamer who is getting pretty tired of all the first person shooters and exclusive DLC junk and companies throwing mudpies at each other on a daily basis and other annoying things that are plaguing the industry, yeah, you know it's pretty nice to get a 10-minute trailer narrated by a great actor of a game with traditional elements and a "campaign" that lasts more than 5 hours without online multiplayer and exclusive Gamestop cleats for your bald ex-New England Patriot who happens to be an expert on firing a laser bazooka the size of an Oldsmobile.

So yes sir, I'll take what I can get!

pje122

luka said:
What a silly thing to say. Technically you could replace almost any character in a similar genre with another and make it fit.
You know what I mean... this obviously adheres to the GoW mold very strictly, just as Dante's Inferno did. I guess that's OK, but I wonder how much longer we're going to be getting clones like this.

Pimpbaa

TheJollyCorner said:

If the gameplay takes a backseat to the story in this game, I'm gonna kill Kojima's dog (if he has one).

Despera said:

It was the greatest thing EVER. I still have an Castlevania erection in the shape of a cross. OUCH!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
pje122 said:
You know what I mean... this obviously adheres to the GoW mold very strictly, just as Dante's Inferno did. I guess that's OK, but I wonder how much longer we're going to be getting clones like this.

I don't really see that as a problem. GoW was one of the first games to get 3D platforming/beat em up formula right so it makes sense that others would follow suit. GoW always felt like a CV game in a lot of ways anyway.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
beelzebozo said:
does anyone have a comparison of how long it takes to rewind the game after you finish it on 360 vs. ps3?

360 = as long as it takes to put disc 1 back in the drive

PS3 victoly

pje122 said:

I see it more as a genre style than a 'clone'. I mean, you could consider every side-scrolling 'beat-em-up' from the late 80's/early '90s a "Double Dragon clone", but it didn't stop a lot of those games from being absolute classics.

Teknoman

~Kinggi~ said:
If you are talking about the big D then yes. Hope that battle is epic hot shit.

No, think birds. Trying to be as vague as possible...but if you dont care about enemy spoilers that hopefully turn into boss fights
it's Slogra, bird skeleton humanoid guy, stuck on a wall

Would be nice if his usual partner popped up.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
beelzebozo said:
does anyone have a comparison of how long it takes to rewind the game after you finish it on 360 vs. ps3?

I usually buy a separate machine to rewind my games.

I'd love to see this... thing... make an appearance in a sequel:

fu1aoz.gif

:eek:

Dartastic

brandonh83 said:
I'm just speaking for myself. But as a gamer who is getting pretty tired of all the first person shooters and exclusive DLC junk and companies throwing mudpies at each other on a daily basis and other annoying things that are plaguing the industry, yeah, you know it's pretty nice to get a 10-minute trailer narrated by a great actor of a game with traditional elements and a "campaign" that lasts more than 5 hours without online multiplayer and exclusive Gamestop cleats for your bald ex-New England Patriot who happens to be an expert on firing a laser bazooka the size of an Oldsmobile.

So yes sir, I'll take what I can get!
Yeah. This.

LowParry

Himuro said:
We are going to need an official CV: LoS REWIND console thread.

CV: LOS RUNS AT 28 FPS ON THE PS3 VERSION AS OPPOSED TO 29 ON THE 360 VERSION.

I'M FUCKING BOYCOTTING.

Is this based off the reviews of the final code or demo?

Himuro said:
The game really doesn't look god of war-ish in that trailer. God of War is mostly one verse many. That trailer was one guy versus 3-4 at once at most on average.

Consider the emphasis on defense (parries, rolling), giant SotC boss fights, platforming and puzzles and you'd be dead pressed to ONLY call it a God of War clone based on that trailer.

If anything, the game is structured like your standard action adventure title meets Castlevania based on that video.

It's easy to think GOW when you look at the combat, sure. And that's okay. I think there's a difference between someone saying that the combat reminds them of GOW, and someone who says that because the combat looks like GOW that the whole game is just a GOW clone and nothing more. That's what I disagree completely with. Not to mention that I think GOW has excellent, fast-paced and reactionary combat and they were smart to adopt its style. As I've said in other threads, GOW is pretty much what older 3D action titles tried to be, but nothing did it great until GOW came along. If CV64 had better combat, it would be a "GOW clone" too-- same for Lament of Innocence, which came out a few years before GOW did.

LowParry

Himuro said:
http://redriverpak.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/ed_rooney_002a.jpg

Not my fault that you decided to try and enter a house through the doggy door! Grace would be displeased.

Fimbulvetr said:

I'm just talking about that particular style. I'm aware that there are other 3D action games that play fine and play nothing like GOW, but when it comes down to it, GOW's style is perfectly suited for Castlevania.

canova said:
just because you're the OT creator doesn't mean you can say stupid things like that

So what other games that play like a 3D Castlevania or God of War did it great before GOW came out? Serious question.

I was wrong to put it so vaguely, my bad. But there's really no need to be an ass about it.

Ridley327

brandonh83 said:
I'm just talking about that particular style. I'm aware that there are other 3D action games that play nothing like GOW, but when it comes down to it, GOW's style is perfectly suited for Castlevania.
He might be taking issue with games like DMC1 and Rygar pre-dating GoW and having a lot of the same conventions. Hell, the EGM review for DMC1 explicitly called it out as being Castlevania in 3D (something I'd agree with). It wasn't until DMC2 that you saw the series focus entirely on ACTION ACTION ACTION.

Top Bottom