• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

heringer

brandonh83 said:
Right. On tougher bosses I find myself starting up a combo and then rolling away when I "feel" it's about time for them to lay in on me :lol

One thing I do have to say, I felt the bog area was great because of the atmosphere, so that was off to a good start, but I think some of the levels after that are "too" beautiful. I don't necessarily have a deep problem with that, but the bog level felt more like a creepier, horror-like setting whereas some of the dilapidated cities are just "pretty."

More of a nitpick, as they are beautiful to behold but I do prefer the darker, less sunlight-drenched areas. As someone said though, the game definitely gets away from that more as you go.

I'm on chapter VII now and I'm finding the levels to be a bit scary, actually. Kinda miss the beutifull areas of the beginning. :lol

Hated the bog level because of the stupid invisible walls and camera angles. Game becomes so much better later on.

Keikoku

Banned
WickedLaharl said:
one thing i didn't know about is that there are multiple paths through levels. finding that out pleased me greatly.

Sounds interesting, could you be more specific about that ?

Despera

Banned
brandonh83 said:
Yup. I'm playing on Knight, and button mashing just does not cut it. I'm on the boss at the end of chapter 3 and oh boy, what a rough ride.

as if the first form wasn't bad enough...

That's where I'm at too :D

Well I just beat that boss and he was tough indeed. Especially when you you don't have light or shadow magic.

heringer said:
I'm on chapter VII now and I'm finding the levels to be a bit scary, actually. Kinda miss the beutifull areas of the beginning. :lol

Great to hear. The game has plenty of gorgeous outdoor environments so it will be nice to hit up some of the creepier stuff.

At any rate, this game has more than satisfied my urge for a Castlevania where there are a lot of exterior environments leading to the castle, which is why I'm not even about to complain about it.

Despera said:
Well I just beat that boss and he was tough indeed. Especially when you you don't have light or shadow magic.

I started the
second form
with low health and no magic :lol

Keikoku said:
Sounds interesting, could you be more specific about that ?

While the paths in the stages are quite narrow, there are occasionally forks that may lead you to items, alternate paths, etc. It's not always possible to backtrack, either, so if you take one way you may need to replay the stage to see where the other path led.

Tokubetsu

Joe Shlabotnik said:
While the paths in the stages are quite narrow, there are occasionally forks that may lead you to items, alternate paths, etc. It's not always possible to backtrack, either, so if you take one way you may need to replay the stage to see where the other path led.

Gets bigger as you go along. I just hit my first level where I missed ALL the gems :lol

Despera

Banned
heringer said:
Speaking of bosses, I love that the game autosaves when a boss
changes form.

Yeah it really makes them a little less annoying. Makes you go all out and perform on of those elaborate combos.

CcrooK said:
The extra features with the enemy bars on. So good. :D

I turned that option on as soon as I started the game. Really useful.

Tokubetsu

Despera said:
Yeah it really makes them a little less annoying. Makes you go all out and perform on of those elaborate combos.

I turned that option on as soon as I started the game. Really useful.

I use the enemy health bar, damage output info and sometimes exp info.

george_us

I'm at the
Mountain Fortress
now and my love for this game increases. I dunno, for some strange reason this game brings back memories of waking up on a Saturday morning bright and early to play my 16-bit systems. I honestly have no clue what's brining these feelings on as the game is every bit as modern as the games today but something about the environments bring out a sense of wonder I haven't experienced in years.

Joe Shlabotnik said:

Pretty annoying. I remember the first time I missed a path because it branched and the one I chose went straight to a cutscene and a boss battle and at the end discovered I missed a gem because of it. It kind of pissed me off since it didn't give me any indication that I was going to get "stuck" on that path. This game could use an automap patched in.

I don't care if it's not reasonable that Gabriel would have a GPS or not, nothing in the game is reasonable to begin with. :p Give him a "head of the navigator".

Easy_D

never left the stone age
ccbfan said:
In the original Castlevania time line

Dracula didn't become, evil evil until he Lisa (Alucard's mother) was killed by the villagers which she was trying to save with her super healing skills. She was accused of being a witch and burned. This was when Dracula made his War on humans.

Not much have been show in terms of canon of Dracula's exploits between the time he defied God and became of the Lord of Darkness in LOI and Lisa's death.

So there's plenty of time for him to become the Dracula we know.

Also Iga's been pretty bipolar with Dracula. Some games he's a generic evil destroy the world type, others he's some tragic hero shaped by unfortunate events.

Seems this reboot might be going with tragic hero shaped by unfortunate events.
The events in LoI portrays him as one evil son of a bitch though. Evil evil

Maffis

I finally have it. And I absolutely love it. The framerate (at least on ps3) is not that bad. Since you can't control the camera, I'm not as annoyed as I can be with games that has fps-problems with free camera.

Well on to chapter 2 :D

Carnby

i do like the extras in the options screens. I have Enemies Energy Bars and Show Experience Points turned on. the rest is turned off. i wish more games had these options.

LaneDS

I know there's an entire thread dedicated to it, but if you have the option between both systems is the PS3 version the way to go? Likely picking this up today.

LowParry

LaneDS said:
I know there's an entire thread dedicated to it, but if you have the option between both systems is the PS3 version the way to go? Likely picking this up today.

Sure. Why not. I did. :D And I have both systems.

LowParry

LaneDS said:
Haha works for me.

I'll be honest, from the first 4 chapters I've completed, you're going to run into these frame problems. It's the case with both systems. However the entire game doesn't suffer. There are sections of the game that run very well and it's damn nice looking.

I think we should all tweet Cox and demand a patch. Even if it took a couple of months.

Tiduz said:
is it just me or is it pretty hard even on normal?

i finished gow 1/2/3 btw so im no nub :p

I don't think God Of War is going to clear you off the noob books, buddy!

(Castlevania isn't fooling around, though, especially with health. I kind of suck too.)

LaneDS

CcrooK said:
I'll be honest, from the first 4 chapters I've completed, you're going to run into these frame problems. It's the case with both systems. However the entire game doesn't suffer. There are sections of the game that run very well and it's damn nice looking.

I think we should all tweet Cox and demand a patch. Even if it took a couple of months.

Yeah, my expectations are already pretty low on the framerate front. Though after a few weeks of Final Fantasy XIV any game will seem super smooth by comparison I'm fairly sure.

Game supports custom soundtracks right? Would like to put together a best-of CV playlist if I go through it a second time (or backtrack for 200.6%).

ccbfan

Easy_D said:
The events in LoI portrays him as one evil son of a bitch though. Evil evil

He was evil but not evil evil where he was hell bent of destroying humanity.

In LoI he was pissed at God for letting his wife die while he was fighting a war for God. He wanted to defy god at that point and need Belmont's help who he tricked to complete his mission.

Also the game was a contrast on Dracula and Belmont. Both started noble and good. Both had a life defining tragic event happen. One though choose the dark side while the other the light.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I think everyone needs to play though chapter 2 before commenting on whether it feels like CV or not, or even whether it's a good game. Chapter 1 is weaksauce. If that doesn't change your mind, chapter 5 and beyond definitely will.

wwm0nkey said:
Well it took like 14+ hours but I beat the game and it was awesome, will be going back to get 110% complete.

Also massive spoiler about the ending, seriously do not read if you care about the story.
What is every ones opinion on Gabriel Belmont becoming Dracula and him still being a good guy, I would like Dracula to be the main enemy but looks like it will be Satan again.

Well, I assume since the ending is nearly 1000 years after LoS a lot of things could have happened. We probably missed Drac's "angry evil bastard" phase. Turning the monster the Belmont family spends centuries fighting into their own ancestor is a cool twist imo, but they really need to follow this up with something awesome to sell people on it. Frankly the ending would have been much more effective if they just cut out when he said "My name is Dracula!"

Teknoman

Lords of Shadow has arrived.

15x2yqd.gif

Its game time.

koene

Joe Shlabotnik said:
I don't think God Of War is going to clear you off the noob books, buddy!

(Castlevania isn't fooling around, though, especially with health. I kind of suck too.)

It gets you off the noob books when you've played it on Titan/Chaos though :p

Teknoman

Wow...good stuff so far. At little down at some of the parts with just ambient sounds, but so far that hasnt been the case for most early areas. When the music sticks around for the majority of the area, it's nice stuff. Combat is fun, and its nice to mix up different attacks and dodge/just block.

Stopping at the
Lake of Oblivion
and the SotC style fight. I'll say one thing, the fight starts off SotC enough, but ramps up into more of faster paced battle. Framerate really isnt hampering my enjoyment one bit (no real drops or anything, but of course its not that high of a framerate in the first place...still smooth for what it is).

Also once again, Hunter's path and Gabriel's theme = awesome.

LowParry

brandonh83 said:
good god just beat the chapter 3 boss on Knight jfc that was hard.

and holy ballistic fucking crap at the next environment.

You have no idea what's coming next. Prepare for Ninja Gaiden frustration. :D

I gotta say though. You think you've seen one castle. :lol

Retro

NeoUltima said:
Lol wtf @ Portal reference in 3-1.

Yeah, caught that myself... also, how did they get Patrick Stewart to say "Long and Hard" and "Stiffest Challenge" in the same sentence is beyond me, but that's classy.

Top Bottom