• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

LowParry

Sidenote: I want this thread to exceed the FFXIV thread so I can go rub in Londa's face. :lol I shouldn't , but it'd be fuuuuun!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I just noticed in the extras you can turn on enemy life bars damage done, life healed and all that stuff for the ui. Neat :D *leaves them all off*

george_us

Ok wtf. I'm in the
Castle Sewers
and I can't get past the
spiked floor
trap. I try sprinting past it but it always closes and I know it isn't timed. Grrr.

This game starts out pretty good but gets soooo much better as it goes along. I just cannot believe how epic these environments are, only on chapter 4.

george_us said:
Ok wtf. I'm in the
Castle Sewers[/spoilers] and I can't get past the
spiked floor
trap. I try sprinting past it but it always closes and I know it isn't timed. Grrr.

Shadow magic and daggers are your friend. : )

Animator

I havent been this impressed with a games environments since uncharted 2. It really is gorgeous to look at.

It is also hard as fuck, I am getting my ass kicked quite often (stuck in chap 1 boss right now) on normal difficulty :(

george_us

perineumlick said:

Ok that's a legitimately bad puzzle. The game flat out tells you to punch the switch. Why even have the spikes there in the first place?

burgerdog

perineumlick said:

So are spoiler tags :) Others may want to try to try to figure out themselves. I beat the game already so I don't mind, I'm sure others do, though.

dwebo

Fuck the 2nd
titan
battle. Fuck it in its janky QTE and crappy climbing ass.

Is there really nothing mapped to the right analog stick?

Also, the lack of level maps combined with often poor fixed camera placement makes for annoying exploration.

... it's still rather pretty, though. If I wasn't such a whore for nice graphics, I'd be a lot more aggravated.

LowParry

george_us said:
Ok that's a legitimately bad puzzle. The game flat out tells you to punch the switch. Why even have the spikes there in the first place?

I'm not that far yet but did you find a scroll with hints? They are your best friend.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Animator said:
I havent been this impressed with a games environments since uncharted 2. It really is gorgeous to look at.

This is correct.

anyway.....back to playing! Been looking forward to it all day at work.

eh I've personally found the titan battles so far to be very fun to figure out with little frustration. once you figure out how it all works it's very satisfying.

burgerdog

cryptic said:
Can anyone give me some tips on how to kill 30 goblins using bombs at the first part of chapter 2 on hard?
Give me a few minutes to check. I need to beat a stage right away and then I'll check, pretty sure I've done it.

george_us

CcrooK said:
I'm not that far yet but did you find a scroll with hints? They are your best friend.
It's not that. It's a case where the game literally tells you to do one thing yet you HAVE to do something completely different to progress. It's...weird.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Tiduz said:
is it just me or is it pretty hard even on normal?

i finished gow 1/2/3 btw so im no nub :p

Yeah, I actually died once in the demo, because I thought I could button mash my way on a fight. I played Ninja Gaiden on Hard & this game really has a good sense of combat & difficulty.

RS4-

Just finished the game, pretty interesting and unexpected ending.

I don't think I'll play through it again though, once was enough for me.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Can someone offer come guidance or something
i am fighting some swamp creature and when he is low on health i have to press R2 and that dumb circle crap comes up and when i hit another button i fail the QTE or whatever

what buttons do i need to press?

edit finally killed the dude.

Tokubetsu

Game feels so right once you're fighting greater creatures and you're just countering and completely punishing them. Gimme that focus bar baby! Just milking orbs all daaaaay.

burgerdog

cryptic said:
Can anyone give me some tips on how to kill 30 goblins using bombs at the first part of chapter 2 on hard?
Jesus, this one is easy.
When you get to the door that needs grenades to get through, grab a goblin and hold any direction on the left analog stick when you press a face button. Gabriel will light the grenade from their belt and they'll run around and then blow up. Infinite amount of goblins, unless you blow up the door.

Mana Sin

brandonh83 said:
I don't get it :lol

Your avatar look like (is?) Voldemort. The Dark Lord Voldemort. Dark lords are sorta in the same neighborhood as Shadow Lords, though I think Shadow Lords get better pay.

JohngPR

I'm halfway through Chapter II and I have to say that I'm really enjoying it. I'm playing it on normal difficulty and that's perfect for me. It's hard enough that if you start taking the AI for granted they will own you (especially if you have low health from previous area), which then makes you concentrate on beating the area.

Looove the art direction and really having fun with the gameplay as well.

JohngPR said:
Looove the art direction and really having fun with the gameplay as well.

The gameplay gets substantially better as you go along and get new moves and unlock the light/dark magic system. And the great thing is, mastering pretty much everything is absolutely essential if you're playing on higher difficulties at least-- not sure about lower. I just know that I've only survived a few bosses because I've learned how to combine a lot of the techniques together for more efficient combat, and it's different for each enemy/boss. One strategy you develop will absolutely not work on another foe.

People who are ignoring this game because they felt the combat in the demo was too bare bones just have no fucking idea.

Mana Sin

brandonh83 said:
yeah I just didn't get the Gabe knocking on my door part.

... To kill you? Mayhaps he confused the in-game mask with the Death Eater mask and came to collect.

Clarification: I'm saying this in a joking manner that implies you have become Voldemort due to your having an avatar of him. >.>

Mana Sin said:
... To kill you? Mayhaps he confused the in-game mask with the Death Eater mask and came to collect.

Clarification: I'm saying this in a joking manner that implies you have become Voldemort due to your having an avatar of him. >.>

I gotcha. You have to admit though, it was pretty vague, I will not blame my stupidity for this one!

Foffy

Banned
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Love it, starting a boss with fucking 1/4 health.

Welcome back to one of the frustrating charms of the Classicvania.

I'm forever reminded of the bullshit in Castlevania Chronicles when it came to the fucking Tower of Gears...D:

Mana Sin

brandonh83 said:
I gotcha. You have to admit though, it was pretty vague, I will not blame my stupidity for this one!

Then I guess it's

heeQx.jpg

For me. :(

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Chalk me up as one that loves the challenge. Dying and restarting a boss with minimal health forces you to learn the patterns and timing to build focus or you're screwed. If you can't hack it, play on easy. :lol

Foffy said:
Welcome back to one of the frustrating charms of the Classicvania.

I'm forever reminded of the bullshit in Castlevania Chronicles when it came to the fucking Tower of Gears...D:

The warewolf boss in X68000 haunts me. Forever. :(

Tokubetsu

2nd titan fight is considerably less fun than the first.
I get up to the right arm (his right arm) but it always knocks me down once I blow up the crystal. How do I get to the head/dodge the hand that knocks me off

Nvm! Got it!

Ledsen

So from the posts in this thread I take it that Normal is a good difficulty for people who usually choose Hard (but not Very Hard) in most games, and Hard is ball-bustingly difficult?

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Ran into a fun little glitch just now. In 2-4, doing some of the up-the-wall platforming, and I slipped and fell. Tried to move again and I slipped and fell again. No problem, except that time I restarted a bit lower down the wall, and after 2-3 seconds (even if I didn't move) , I would get the falling animation and die again. Over and over again.

burgerdog

Ledsen said:
So from the posts in this thread I take it that Normal is a good difficulty for people who usually choose Hard (but not Very Hard) in most games, and Hard is ball-bustingly difficult?
Hard is not balls breaking difficult. Feels just right.

Mana Sin said:
Then I guess it's

For me. :(

Your acknowledgement of Lord Voldemort will not go unnoticed, child.

I forgot how to smash through doors exactly, and what the fuck is up with that
chupacabra statue
in 4-1?

Lesden: I'm holding my own on Knight mode though there have been some extremely trying fights for me. but I'm not the best gamer ever, I usually don't get that "hardcore" with games unless it's something I love, like this one.

Tokubetsu

Ledsen said:

Not really. Put it this way, if you're more of a GoW Normal player? Normal in this will probably be fine for you. If you're a GoW hard/NG/DMC player, you'll probably want to put it up to Hard. If you're down to learn the focus and counter system, def. go hard.

Haunted

dark10x said:
Really, it almost doesn't matter. They both have shitty framerates. PS3 version is seemingly a touch higher, but that doesn't really translate to a smoother experience. The game stutters and skips all over the place in an incredibly ungraceful manner.
:sadface

Guess I'll wait. Cheapo sale or PC port announcement, whichever comes first.

Top Bottom