• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

Just cleared 1-3 and went back to complete the trials of 1-1 and 1-2. Game is so much better without the hints. For people questioning how to kill 50 goblins in 1-3... maybe you can keep killing them at that
tree you're supposed to throw bombs at
part assuming they'll keep respawning until you do?

Forgot to mention that I really like the game. Love the mood.

Oh and that
whispering
during 1-3 hooked me and got me to ignore the boring, slow-ass swamp crossing.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Just cleared 1-3 and went back to complete the trials of 1-1 and 1-2. Game is so much better without the hints. For people questioning how to kill 50 goblins in 1-3... maybe you can keep killing them at that
tree you're supposed to throw bombs at
part assuming they'll keep respawning until you do?

Forgot to mention that I really like the game. Love the mood.

Oh and that
whispering
during 1-3 hooked me and got me to ignore the boring, slow-ass swamp crossing.
Pick them up. Hold the left stick in any direction. Wait for QTE. Makes thing a lot easier.

Tokubetsu

Loved the ending. It had closure but I definitely need to see a sequel for this! Hopefully Konami and MercurySteam consider it enough of a success!

QisTopTier said:
Ending spoilers

Obviously this game is setting up for stuff that is more castlevaniaish in the future, I MEAN fucking slogras corpse is in the damn ending. BTW gabriel isnt a damn belmont that's his adopted name, also the little girl vampire was never killed and the book itself said she had a bigger role to play, she obviously changed him =P

I don't believe Laura is the one who changed him. I believe Gabriel becoming Dracula is a side effect of not being allowed to die + the powers and things he had to do to get where he was. Most like the beginning of a new form of vampire? Remember he didn't seem completely twisted/evil in that cutscene, just forlorn.

TEJ

Am I doing something wrong? I unlocked a focus meter where I am supposed to be gaining orbs when I fill it up but there's no meter for the orbs and the orbs don't show up.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I do absolutely hate how this is like GOW and other games where they keep the hardest difficulty locked until you beat it once. Such a stupid system.

Yeah. My first play is on Knight, so I would have much rather gone ahead and did it on Paladin considering it will be a bit tougher and the Knight playthrough has already given me carpal tunnel.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
TEJ said:
Am I doing something wrong? I unlocked a focus meter where I am supposed to be gaining orbs when I fill it up but there's no meter for the orbs and the orbs don't show up.

The meter is at the bottom of the screen. It only pops out after each hit when the whole thing is lit up.

TEJ

Papercuts said:
The meter is at the bottom of the screen. It only pops out after each hit when the whole thing is lit up.

I know this. Isn't there supposed to be three meters on the bottom? With the focus meter for gaining the orbs and the other where you store them? On the opposite side of the light meter?

If not, I don't understand the point of the focus meter. That three page manual for each language doesn't explain anything either.

CaptYamato said:
Pick them up. Hold the left stick in any direction. Wait for QTE. Makes thing a lot easier.

Huh? I was referring to the trial which asks you to kill 50 goblins. I noticed some people questioning how and I was providing a tip assuming my theory worked (that they respawned if you ignored the tree).

Volcynika

Ok I must be confused. Chapter 5-1

I can't reach the Chupacabra because he keeps shocking me when I get near. Is there another path I can take or what?

Papercuts

TEJ said:
I know this. Isn't there supposed to be three meters on the bottom? With the focus meter for gaining the orbs and the other where you store them? On the opposite side of the light meter?

If not, I don't understand the point of the focus meter. That three page manual for each language doesn't explain anything either.

You gain orbs normally from killing enemies--The left meter is light, the right is dark. The focus meter just gives you orbs for each HIT of the enemy after you fill it.

Papercuts

TEJ said:
That's my problem. There is no dark meter. do I get the dark meter later in the game?

Oh, yeah. You should get it soon, I forgot the timeline of actually gaining this stuff.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Huh? I was referring to the trial which asks you to kill 50 goblins. I noticed some people questioning how and I was providing a tip assuming my theory worked (that they respawned if you ignored the tree).
Thought you were asking for help.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Volcynika said:
Ok I must be confused. Chapter 5-1

I can't reach the Chupacabra because he keeps shocking me when I get near. Is there another path I can take or what?

use a fairy

brandonh83 said:
HOLY SHIT

That's not in response to the ending as I have not beaten it yet but where I am OHHH MY GOD

:lol Yeah the last few levels are crazy.

I just cannot believe where this game has gone.

did NOT expect there to be more game past the castle-- just incredible, and it doesn't feel tacked on, it legitimately feels like its part of Gabriel's character journey and that is just fantastic

if it felt tacked on just to extend the experience I would be complaining about it, but it gives this last push of the game the spice and variety that I was not expecting whatsoever. I remember some reviews saying that they felt that some of the game was just there to make it longer, and if they're meaning where I'm at, they must wake up every morning and drink a hot cup of I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about

brandonh83 said:
Yeah. My first play is on Knight, so I would have much rather gone ahead and did it on Paladin considering it will be a bit tougher and the Knight playthrough has already given me carpal tunnel.

Ya, it's so stupid they try to use really cheap tactics like that to make you play the game again.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Ya, it's so stupid they try to use really cheap tactics like that to make you play the game again.

I don't have a problem playing through it again per se, I have a problem with the fact that Knight difficulty is incredibly brutal, and I feel like I've already proven my worth when it comes to the difficulty even without playing it on Paladin.

I'm just not sure why it's locked, but whatever, it may be a while before the next one is out anyway :lol

Y2Kev said:
Jesus fuck at the chapter 2 boss graphics.

Save it. You haven't seen shit.

I know I keep saying it but I'm excited to hear everyone's impressions of the second half of the game, for those only at the first few chapters and are already gawking at the visuals.

brandonh83 said:
I know I keep saying it but I'm excited to hear everyone's impressions of the second half of the game, for those only at the first few chapters and are already gawking at the visuals.

Don't do this to me, it makes going to bed harder.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
_tetsuo_ said:
Stone Titan
you mean? Ya, that was impressive.

I just got there. That shit was amazing. Any tips on beating the bastard I can't find a weak point :lol :lol

Volcynika

Relix said:
I just got there. That shit was amazing. Any tips on beating the bastard I can't find a weak point :lol :lol

Stay away until it throws a rock at you. Hit your grab (R2 on PS3, not sure what 360 one is), hold the button down and swing the left stick (I think) counterclockwise. Then go forth and you'll know what to do

ZeroRay

Relix said:

Keep away from it then wait until it throws a rock. Grab it with R2/RT and throw it back with the QTE. It should then stumble allowing you to climb it.

Sinople

With all the good impressions I'm sad I have to wait 2 more months to be able to play it here (Japan)...
The Japanese VA sounds good though, I hope there will be dual language (and no censoring please!).

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Gabriel Belmont is just superb character design. All of the fundamental elements are there. Color, build, and, most importantly, POSE. The guy stands SO AWESOMELY

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Relix said:

Took a few minutes to understand the girl's response, but basically, hang back for a few minutes, and eventually it'll reach up, and pick a boulder to throw at you. As it gets near, you'll see it glow, meaning grab it with R2. Then a prompt to spin the L stick, which will throw the rock back. Then it becomes SOTC time.

Volcynika

Y2Kev said:
Gabriel Belmont is just superb character design. All of the fundamental elements are there. Color, build, and, most importantly, POSE. The guy stands SO AWESOMELY

Yeah, standing there looking at Chapter 2's boss, he just looks badass.

ZeroRay

CaptYamato said:
Just made
Cornell my bitch.

I remember being stunned
after seeing he had another form since I used all my magic against him and only had a silver of health left. Should of expected the werewolf king to transform...into a werewolf.

Top Bottom