• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Volcynika said:
What. That was easy as pie.

The process was easy, but I had a hell of a time getting it to trigger at times...not looking forward to that trial. Unless I was missing something.

Volcynika

Papercuts said:
The process was easy, but I had a hell of a time getting it to trigger at times...not looking forward to that trial. Unless I was missing something.

I have not unlocked any trials in forever.

:(

Latest confuzzles where the game didn't seem to provide enough indication...

1)
The Ogre when you're trying to finish him off, it took me a few times scratching my head wondering why the battle wouldn't end before I realized there was a little piece of rock I had to stand by. Jeez, they could have made that little rock thing look a little more lethal.

2)
The crow witch, also didn't clue in on how to finish her... she stars glowing with that "grapple me" look but it starts happening when you're in the middle of some mad shadow magic pummeling and the screen is just afire with special effects and I didn't notice it until like the 3rd time I tried to finish her. Grr.

P.S. Game is getting better and better the further I get in. Having a great time. My wife thinks it's ridiculous, which is usually a good sign.

NeoUltima

I'd have to say, contrary to many reviews, I enjoyed the games pacing and platforming. I could however understand if a reviewer didn't personally like the puzzles or platforming they would feel badly about pacing("why I gotta do another damn puzzle? I want more combat!").
I thought the cutscenes and story were done very well...though I would personally have preferred more cutscenes to drive the story home a bit more. I also enjoyed the game's focus on puzzles. Most of them seemed really well done, aside from a couple. It does appear to me that the devs kept their word about 33% platforming, 33% puzzles, 33% combat, which is great. As far as combat goes, pretty damn good. The GoW comparisons seem natural, and also justified imo. The core feel/weight of the combat is similar(especially with the QTEs mixed in), however I feel LoS is much more deep thanks to the magic/focus system. Unfortunately, the game does have some small niggling issues, that some(not me) would argue holds the game back from greatness. The camera is not always ideal, invisible walls, the framerate isn't steady, the game starts out slow, and it glitches a lot...My game crashed("Unhandled Error" error) during the final boss for example. Also yeah, those trailers spoiled a lot. Not story wise, but content wise just about everything was shown.
So yeah, I am very intrigued by the game's ending and cannot wait to see where they take the series from here. I give the game an 'awesome' out of 'awesome'.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Just when the combat starts to click for me and I'm effortlessly kicking ass without taking much damage and feeling cocky I run into
the skeleton warriors
and they knock me the fuck down a few pegs and kill me a few times. It was also around this point in the game I was wondering when they were going to show up since it wouldn't be a Castlevania game without them. Loving every minute of this game so far :D

Relix said:
I just got there. That shit was amazing. Any tips on beating the bastard I can't find a weak point :lol :lol

You have to
go away from him, wait until he throw you a stone, press R2 and turn the analog stick to return it. Then get close as possible and jump. The first weak spot is quite long to reach. You need to go up from one leg to the thigh, jump to the other one and go down until you reach the knee.

Future

Surprised at all the positive impressions. I hate these enemies. Barely react to your attacks, blend into the background, most are a chore to fight. Some of these puzzle
Rotate bullshit
...goddam fuckin tedious. 6 prompt Mini games on a lever to open a door, WTF. Lots of platforming deaths just cuz it's hard to see where you are supposed to jump

Not done yet but man, so much frustrating shit. Probably won't bother to do the trials.

Future said:
Surprised at all the positive impressions. I hate these enemies. Barely react to your attacks, blend into the background, most are a chore to fight. Some of these puzzle
Rotate bullshit
...goddam fuckin tedious. 6 prompt Mini games on a lever to open a door, WTF. Lots of platforming deaths just cuz it's hard to see where you are supposed to jump

Not done yet but man, so much frustrating shit. Probably won't bother to do the trials.

You can skip all of the puzzles and to be fair, it doesn't let you commit suicide much because of the invisible walls.

Docpan

Just putting this out there as a question of possibility:

I read in the Eurogamer platform comparison article that LoS forces V-sync on both versions in order to prevent screen tearing. Of course, since the game has already been released, hoping for a patch that will magically fix the meager framerate is impossible. HOWEVER, what do you think of the possibility of a patch that will allow the user to turn v-sync off? This may result in some screen tearing, but also an increase in fps performance.

This has been done before, IIRC. The original Unreal Championship (or part 2?) for the Xbox shipped with a horrendous framerate, and forced v-sync. Then they updated it to allow you to turn the option off. It actually made quite a big difference, as it was borderline unplayable (to me) at first. Not like I'm saying LoS needs this, but still...

dwebo

Docpan said:
HOWEVER, what do you think of the possibility of a patch that will allow the user to turn v-sync off? This may result in some screen tearing, but also an increase in fps performance.
I'd rather have low-ish framerates than screen tearing, in this and pretty much any game. I wouldn't be averse to them adding this in as an option - at least it would stop some of the bitching.

Of course, then I'd make every developer releasing non-vsync'ed games to put in the same option! :lol

teiresias

Geez, the combat and the puzzles suck in this game.

"Gabriel, if we move the statue closer to the hole we can plug it like the last one."

THANK YOU FUCKING EINSTEIN!!! However, it glows, the only thing the game has ever told me to do is hit R2 when something is glowing, I do that and Gabriel just wraps his whip around it and Patrick Stewart repeats the same line over and over again.

Screw this game, too many times where the design is ridiculous and the objectives unclear.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Chapter 3 has been superb so far. Great exploration and adventuring...and the framerate has been better, too! It's a Mercurysteam miracle!

Alex

I'm liking it so far, it's not perfect but nothing is really grating me either. It's very appealing in a B-tier kind of way, which can be much more gripping to me on consoles than the usual hyped up rabble. I'm actually liking the combat better than the genre usuals too, this, however, could also have to do with the fact that I don't like any of those and the flawed deviations and tripups this one makes actually appeals to me more. :lol

Still, I'd kill for a PC version, this thing just screams to be cranked up, like really badly. All these wonderful assets and art direction would look amazing at 1080p, 4XAA and 60 FPS.

But I'll live with what I got.

I actually liked the other two 3D Castlevania games I played too though, well, at their time of release anyway, C64 and LoI. Those were a (lot) less refined this but they had that kind of appeal that Megaman Legends kind of has as well, where you know it's just broken as all fuck but it's appealing to play nonetheless.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Take that stupid rock titan! The afterward event shocked me to be honest, I was pleasantly surprised. I'll admit a slight gasp escaped my mouth.

Chapter 3 starts good, and indeed the frame rate seems considerably better.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The remixed waterfalls theme is pretty good. It's very subtle, but you can definitely hear it.

LowParry

Y2Kev said:
Chapter 3 has been superb so far. Great exploration and adventuring...and the framerate has been better, too! It's a Mercurysteam miracle!

Some of the later stages really show off what the game could of been in terms of frames.

LiK

Chapters 3-5 are great. the boss battles are fun too. i'm really enjoying it now. the first two chapters were a chore.

btw, the Portal reference was really weird to see.

george_us

I'm convinced that the game was shipped in its 'Beta' state and not in its final polished form. 99% of the problems I have with the game are things that are so minor they could of easily been correctable if the game had three more weeks in the oven.

I really hope Mercury Steam releases a patch to fix these niggling issues.

LiK said:
Chapters 3-5 are great. the boss battles are fun too. i'm really enjoying it now. the first two chapters were a chore.

btw, the Portal reference was really weird to see.
I must be the only person that doesn't think of Portal when they hear the cake is a lie. Stupid Drill SGT.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I hope they release a patch to turn off the shaky cam. That's my biggest complaint by far. I don't know why they chose to implement it.

LiK

MadOdorMachine said:
I hope they release a patch to turn off the shaky cam. That's my biggest complaint by far. I don't know why they chose to implement it.

yea, not sure why it wasn't an option. thankfully, it seems better after the middle of Chapter 3. seems toned down or maybe i got used to it.

Duress

Sometimes these cliff hanging jumps are confusing. Sometimes it's use the left stick and the a button then other times it's hit the a button.

NeoUltima

Duress said:
Sometimes these cliff hanging jumps are confusing. Sometimes it's use the left stick and the a button then other times it's hit the a button.
If ledge is behind you, just use the jump button. If its on the side of you use the stick.

brandonh83 said:
let's just say the ending is very interesting and that isn't even doing it justice.
Can't wait. Won't be able to play much tonight because my son is here. Once he leaves tomorrow its Marathon time, because I must know.

LiK

i dunno, i'm at the start of Chapter VI and i have an inkling of how the story will turn out. just a theory but i'll keep it to myself and see if it comes true.

Tokubetsu

brandonh83 said:
ending question, extremely spoilerish, you've been warned.

why was Castlevania in a modern city?

I think its more about a city ended up being built around it over time. Remember LoS takes place in 1047/8. That's a lot of fucking time between the main game and the epilogue. Even still, it didn't look like the whole castle, just the church/hidden throne room. I hope there's dlc that lets us play as dracula haha

Top Bottom