• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

Tokubetsu

burgerdog said:
Why is Gabriel Dracula? How is Zobek alive?
I assumed Zobek made it out of hell or w/e since he's basically Death? It's hinted that Gabriel is no ordinary creature and that what he's suffering from is a side effect of God/the Spirits not letting him die.

AppleMIX

brandonh83 said:
ending question, extremely spoilerish, you've been warned.

why was Castlevania in a modern city?

I imagine that is what they wanted to do with Castlevania originally. I say bring it on! Legacy of Kain meets Vampire the Masqueraded: Bloodlines

burgerdog

AppleMIX said:
I imagine that is what they wanted to do with Castlevania originally. I say bring it on! Legacy of Kain meets Vampire the Masqueraded: Bloodlines
Holy shit, yes! We need another great vampire lead game, Gabriel is a great protagonist.

Victrix

*beard*
The one thing I really wish this game had: Combat trials with remixed original CV music. The game would be pretty much perfect then. A place to play around with all the awesome combos and magic you accumulate.

Tom Penny said:
So they decided to make the level 3 boss retarded hard WTF :|

it's the hardest boss in the game. I expected it to get worse from there, but it actually gets easier. the final boss was pretty easy, probably one of the easier battles in the game.

Cetra

Just got to Chapter 6. If the awesome factor of this game keeps ratcheting up the way it has so far it just may be my game of the generation.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Tom Penny said:
So they decided to make the level 3 boss retarded hard WTF :|

This is the point in the game where you learn to counter and keep your focus up or you will have a very very unpleasant time going forward.

Chapter 4-8 is basically the highlight of the game for me. It was just an incredible feast of gothic wonderment and nostalgia. I really kind of liked the unique twist they gave
Frankenstein's monster
this time. :D

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So, for those who finished the game, is it anything similar or akin to SotN or Lament of Innocence? :p

ZeroRay

Love the ambition the Mercurysteam guys put into this game, even if they made a lot of rookie mistakes in terms of design. Those artists must of worked themselves to the bone designing all those environments...and I'm still on Ch.7! :lol

ZeroRay

AcciDante said:
'Unhandled Error' right in my final boss fight. Fan-fucking-tastic.

Looks like they shipped a bit too early. Hopefully we get a patch to sort some issues out.

Edit: Holy shit, that must suck. Now they better patch it if it's that bad.

AcciDante

Hey guys, remember when I got an 'unhandled error' in my final boss fight? It deleted my save. The only file is 0% and 0 time played. What the FUCK!

burgerdog

AcciDante said:
Hey guys, remember when I got an 'unhandled error' in my final boss fight? It deleted my save. The only file is 0% and 0 time played. What the FUCK!
Okay, I'm going to stop playing my game. I'm working my way to 110% complete. Do not want to lose that. Do you know if the save is copy protected? If it's not, try to download one and continue your game.

LowParry

AcciDante said:

Holy shit. That's terrible.

Does anyone know if there's a difference between the PAL and NTSC game? I have a PAL copy that I could play, but since I have the US limited edition on its way I might wait for that and give the PAL copy away. I'm pretty sure I can't start with the PAL version and then keep playing with a NTSC disc, at least.

Tokubetsu

How can you see your time played?

A bit disappointed with the bonus you get for beating the game
Wish it was snake's whole outfit, not just bandana covered in hair and solid eye =/

OMG my son just fell asleep! No CV for me tonight. :lol :lol :lol Have to get ready for the harvest festival tomorrow. I will do some Vampire Slaying tomorrow and all Damn night. I havent been this motivated to finish a game in awhile.

This game gives me this (and I've only played the demo)

bigschwartz1.gif

burgerdog said:
Okay, I'm going to stop playing my game. I'm working my way to 110% complete. Do not want to lose that. Do you know if the save is copy protected? If it's not, try to download one and continue your game.

The saves aren't copy protected - after reading AcciDante's posts i'm backing up my save everytime I quit out now.

Tokubetsu said:
How can you see your time played?

Not sure what version you are playing, but on the PS3 it's listed in the information about your save file in the Saved Data Utility from the XMB.

Ricker

Okay i`m completly stomped now in the game because of one of the controls/action you have to do when a prompt flashes on screen...I can`t even beat this Boss on the easiest difficulty because of this...you had to do this on the second Titan...it`s when you have to rotate the Left analog stick to throw back stuff at something...i`ll spoiler the Boss,just in case

It`s the Boss in Chapter 4,that huge Witch Hawk where you have to throw the Eggs back at her...do you have to do one 360 turn and let go or just keep rotating till he throws it automatically?...I can`t do it and the 3 eggs fall and hatch and then I have to fight those 3 annoying birds,that takes forever to kill,until she throws 3 more eggs etc etc...I fought for 20 minutes but I just quit since I can`t get to throw a single egg back at her.

Well... seems like I hit the same bug on the last boss and now my save file is wiped. 18hrs, 70% complete and on the final boss. Now it expects me to start all over again.

Normally I would be furious but honestly, so many questionable decisions were made with this game and the combat was so frustratingly damaged, I am just left feeling too drained about the whole experience to care. Shame about the wasted time. I suppose someone will post the ending on Youtube.

Once again, glad I only rented.

Wizpig

About the 360 version: how do i install?

Yeah, i mean, i read months ago that the game would have an in-game install option, is this true or do i just install from the dashboard like all other games? thanks.

Ricker

Wizpig said:
About the 360 version: how do i install?

Yeah, i mean, i read months ago that the game would have an in-game install option, is this true or do i just install from the dashboard like all other games? thanks.

Like the other games...the second disk only install that lets you play without switching was taken out...

DoctorWho said:
What system are these stupid save errors for? You guys are freaking me out.

So far,it`s been PS3 mostly...I had some weird glitches on the 360 but not to the point of losing the save.

Yarr, gotta back up those saves now. This is probably the most high-maintenance game I've played in a while. It's like dating an incredibly sexy spoiled rich girl.

BeeDog

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yarr, gotta back up those saves now. This is probably the most high-maintenance game I've played in a while. It's like dating an incredibly sexy spoiled rich girl.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but why does the game 'require' you to back the saves up? Is it because of bugginess (corrupt save files), or something else?

BeeDog said:
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but why does the game 'require' you to back the saves up? Is it because of bugginess (corrupt save files), or something else?
Check the last page. People are getting errors while fighting the last boss that crash the game and wipe their save file. In a game this long, that's a gutpunch of an insane degree.

BeeDog

Segata Sanshiro said:
Check the last page. People are getting errors while fighting the last boss that crash the game and wipe their save file. In a game this long, that's a gutpunch of an insane degree.

That sounds bad. Hopefully they'll manage to patch this before I get my copy I guess... thanks for the heads-up!

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So I am like.... bah, this guy isn't that hard. Usual GAF pansies. I use most of my Dark Magic. He falls. Pff free I say. Boom.
Fuck my life.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Quick question. How indicative of the final product is the demo? I love Castlevania, and enjoyed the combat system of the demo, but I'm a bit concerned that this is just God of War with different textures. Does the final game retain the exploratory nature of the series?

WanderingWind said:
Quick question. How indicative of the final product is the demo? I love Castlevania, and enjoyed the combat system of the demo, but I'm a bit concerned that this is just God of War with different textures. Does the final game retain the exploratory nature of the series?

If you ask me the combat is way better than GOW. It's similar, yes, but the way you actually fight enemies is of a different approach I think. I dunno, I never got any real GOW vibes while playing it.

WanderingWind

brandonh83 said:
If you ask me the combat is way better than GOW. It's similar, yes, but the way you actually fight enemies is of a different approach I think. I dunno, I never got any real GOW vibes while playing it.

Do you still explore around, get new abilities that open up area, etc, like the other Castlevanias?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
WanderingWind said:

The game is excellent. Yes it has certain issues, but its like playing a 16-bit game in 3D. Not sure how to explain. But its good, very, very good. And longer than GOW from what I can see. This is my 2010 surprise game =).

WanderingWind said:
Do you still explore around, get new abilities that open up area, etc, like the other Castlevanias?

Yes

WanderingWind said:

There are a few instances where you can go back after you've upgraded your abilities, but this is not Metroidvania. The series did not begin with getting new abilities that open up new areas. ;p

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
brandonh83 said:
There are a few instances where you can go back after you've upgraded your abilities, but this is not Metroidvania. The series did not begin with getting new abilities that open up new areas. ;p

Symphony of Night's fault :lol

WanderingWind

brandonh83 said:

...I am aware of that.

Thanks for the info, dudes and dudettes.

Top Bottom