• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

Relix said:
Symphony of Night's fault :lol

yeah well, Castlevania existed about 10 years before that one came out. :D

WanderingWind said:
...I am aware of that.

well, you said "like the other Castlevanias" but only certain ones are like that. I just read it as I see it bro :lol

brandonh83 said:
yeah well, Castlevania existed about 10 years before that one came out. :D

well, you said "like the other Castlevanias" but only certain ones are like that. I just read it as I see it bro :lol
Perhaps it might be best, then, to not assume the other person is soooo much less knowledgeable about Castlevania than you are, brandon. Actionvania is hardly niche amongst hardcore gamers. Kind of makes you look like a douchebag when you pull that shit.

brandonh83 said:
There are a few instances where you can go back after you've upgraded your abilities, but this is not Metroidvania. The series did not begin with getting new abilities that open up new areas. ;p
Whatever is in those area's aren't a big deal I guess? I've just beaten the first chapter and there were about 3 places it told me to come back when I have new abilities.

john tv

Some of these boss fights are exhausting. I feel like there's as much luck as there is skill involved, which is kind of annoying - I wish the timing on the blocking counters had a more reasonable window.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Perhaps it might be best, then, to not assume the other person is soooo much less knowledgeable about Castlevania than you are, brandon. Actionvania is hardly niche amongst hardcore gamers. Kind of makes you look like a douchebag when you pull that shit.

Oh come on. I'm just saying that Castlevania doesn't have to revolve around Metroidvania. I'm not pretending to know more nor am I a douchebag by any stretch. Please don't be so antagonistic. I come in peace.

When I read "like the other Castlevanias" I mean, I just disagreed with that assertion, plain and simple. It's nothing more than that.

brandonh83 said:
Oh come on. I'm just saying that Castlevania doesn't have to revolve around Metroidvania. I'm not pretending to know more nor am I a douchebag by any stretch. Please don't be so antagonistic. I come in peace.

When I read "like the other Castlevanias" I mean, I just disagreed with that assertion, plain and simple. It's nothing more than that.
I'm antagonistic. It's my thing. It's what I do. I like to call it my "Rage-em Powers", though.

You *do* sound like a douchebag when you do it, though, whether you mean to or not. You could ask that guy you said it to, but he's probably not going to come back in here.

Despera

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
I'm antagonistic. It's my thing. It's what I do. I like to call it my "Rage-em Powers", though.

You *do* sound like a douchebag when you do it, though, whether you mean to or not. You could ask that guy you said it to, but he's probably not going to come back in here.

Jim Sterling? Is that you?

Segata Sanshiro said:

:lol

I know, that's your shtick and I have no problem with that-- in fact 99% of the time I find it amusing (in a good way). But no, I wasn't being a douche, and if I came off as such I apologize to the targeted party

When I made that post I wasn't thinking "oh man I'm such a Castlevania guru, this guy is fucked." I know there are some serious asshats on GAF, but I would like to think I'm not one of them. :D

I'll make a mental note next time to ensure that I don't come across that way.

brandonh83 said:
:lol

I know, that's your shtick and I have no problem with that-- in fact 99% of the time I find it amusing (in a good way). But no, I wasn't being a douche, and if I came off as such I apologize to the targeted party

When I made that post I wasn't thinking "oh man I'm such a Castlevania guru, this guy is fucked." I know there are some serious asshats on GAF, but I would like to think I'm not one of them. :D

I'll make a mental note next time to ensure that I don't come across that way.
Always remember these words, Brandon: On NeoGAF, you either get permabanned as a good poster, or post long enough to see yourself become a joke character.

Future

Dammit, stuck in one of the later chapters
The chapter where you are on those slow moving gears. Turn a crank to move some balance beams. Grapple point and lightning blocking the way. Feels like I can leap over the lightning but it never works and I don't see anywhere else to go

Segata Sanshiro said:
Always remember these words, Brandon: On NeoGAF, you either get permabanned as a good poster, or post long enough to see yourself become a joke character.

It's not what we post that defines who we are, it's... oh I don't know.

wwm0nkey

Future said:
Dammit, stuck in one of the later chapters
The chapter where you are on those slow moving gears. Turn a crank to move some balance beams. Grapple point and lightning blocking the way. Feels like I can leap over the lightning but it never works and I don't see anywhere else to go
while grappling kick off the wall 2 to 3 times instead of just once

Future

wwm0nkey said:
while grappling kick off the wall 2 to 3 times instead of just once
Ha literally just figured it out. :p I've noticed a bunch of times this game where something like that blocks you, and you have to use some skill you were never trained to do. Geesh

knitoe

Y2Kev said:
Ch 3's boss is really great.
Playing on hard, cheap as hell. Took me almost 2 hours to get pass. Only thing that was hurting me was him running up to me and doing 360 ground stomp. Remember, one time he did the attacks 4X in a row. Thinking about it, all "big" monsters do this cheap move. Do the later bosses use this move too?

wwm0nkey

Future said:
Ha literally just figured it out. :p I've noticed a bunch of times this game where something like that blocks you, and you have to use some skill you were never trained to do. Geesh
Yeah I fucking hated
the Frankenstein level where you had to slam on the switch...how the fuck am I going to know I have to buy that skill, it could have said more than "punch this switch" when I pushed RT

knitoe said:
Playing on hard, cheap as hell. Took me almost 2 hours to get pass. Only thing that was hurting me was him running up to me and doing 360 ground stomp. Remember, one time he did the attacks 4X in a row. Thinking about it, all "big" monsters do this cheap move. Do the later bosses use this move too?

A lot of enemies use the ground wave stomp thing and it's incredibly obnoxious.

john tv said:
Some of these boss fights are exhausting. I feel like there's as much luck as there is skill involved, which is kind of annoying - I wish the timing on the blocking counters had a more reasonable window.

Ya, I'm used to like GOW type of timing and Castlevania doesn't seem as forgiving with that. It pretty much just forces me to dodge everything rather than trying to block at all.

Drinky Crow said:
this is a pretty bad game

also a bad pretty game
:lol Haven't seen you in a while. Should have figured you'd come out for castlevania. :D

Ledsen

john tv said:
IF you're talking about the ch 3 boss, you have to block sooo much earlier than you think, i started doing it consistently when i started blocking as soon as his arm went up.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Ledsen said:
IF you're talking about the ch 3 boss, you have to block sooo much earlier than you think, i started doing it consistently when i started blocking as soon as his arm went up.
Don't block...just roll. I mean, you can block, but I think the range on some of his attacks makes it difficult to judge if you're at a safe distance. I was rolling constantly.

Also blocking fails against a lot of boss attacks. the ch. 3 end boss, you're better off simply rolling out of the way and following up with some offense as he recovers.

I be rollin'

I never block. The default difficulty in this game is perfect. Frame rate is a bit off but otherwise this is a game of the year contender on my personal list.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I think if I've blocked 5 times in this game its too much. I am always rolling all over the place :lol :lol :lol

Y2Kev

DoctorWho said:
I be rollin'

I never block. The default difficulty in this game is perfect. Frame rate is a bit off but otherwise this is a game of the year contender on my personal list.
Have you found the framerate stabilizing the further you get? I can't tell if I'm just used to it or if it's actually better. I think it's better. I'm in chapter 4 and it has evened out since 3.

Relix said:
I think if I've blocked 5 times in this game its too much. I am always rolling all over the place :lol :lol :lol

Rolling and following up with a counter attack is pretty much all I did throughout the game. But you can't roll around like a jackass, I simply stand in front of the boss (but kind of far back in anticipation of the universal ground pound) and let them make the first move.

So intense. Would have liked some Morricone during some of the bosses.

The game gets better and better, chapter 5 now.
I really get into the combat system now and it is much more fun then I first thought. And I learn that blocking in small combats is essential to get your combo-meter up and harvest all that neutral energy :D

Segata Sanshiro said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Yep, you just became my favorite poster.

Adam Blue

Blocking almost seems like a waste to try (unless I'm just bad). Rolling accidentally happens anyway... But this game is starting to feel more like Ninja Gaiden...just with the annoying parts of GoW.

Dascu

brandonh83 said:
Rolling and following up with a counter attack is pretty much all I did throughout the game. But you can't roll around like a jackass, I simply stand in front of the boss (but kind of far back in anticipation of the universal ground pound) and let them make the first move.

So intense. Would have liked some Morricone during some of the bosses.
I want a Castlevania game with a Western vibe. I'm being totally serious about this. Won't ever happen though, unless I get my hands on the franchise.

Y2Kev

Dascu said:
I want a Castlevania game with a Western vibe. I'm being totally serious about this. Won't ever happen though, unless I get my hands on the franchise.
Reddo suteero!!! YOU LET IT BOMB YOU DID ITTTT

Finally made it to Castlevania, I think

eso76

zombies and vampires in the wild west.
I don't know, sounds like something out of an Ed Wood's movie. Actually, it kinda is.

Phenomic

Adam Blue said:
Blocking almost seems like a waste to try (unless I'm just bad). Rolling accidentally happens anyway... But this game is starting to feel more like Ninja Gaiden...just with the annoying parts of GoW.

This is pretty much how I've started playing the game and it's for the better personally, I tried to learn to block great but would always just die, now I dodge 99% of the attacks and I'm rolling through decently fast on Hard with very little trouble on bosses after one of the early stages, no pun intended.

LowParry

Phenomic said:
This is pretty much how I've started playing the game and it's for the better personally, I tried to learn to block great but would always just die, now I dodge 99% of the attacks and I'm rolling through decently fast on Hard with very little trouble on bosses since one of the early stages, no pun intended.

Your missing out on the parry mechanic then cause that's where a good chunk of damage can come from. And easy access to your focus attacks for orbs.

Phenomic

CcrooK said:
Your missing out on the parry mechanic then cause that's where a good chunk of damage can come from. And easy access to your focus attacks for orbs.

Yeah I figured this at first as well, it does build the meter really fast but anytime I try to pull it off I just seem to lose the meter. I find it's much easier personally to just do a series of combos amongst rolling, Guillotine seems to fill it really fast and it really doesn't take me long to maintain it any longer, at least in comparison to when I started the game. Also among the damage I might be missing, I've bought every Combat Cross advanced move that I can get at this point in the game and I seem to kill things relatively quickly, this also includes all the upgrades I have access to.

Thinking a little more to me it's just a personal preference thing. I like very combat heavy action games as apposed to defensive. I choose to dodge and roll because somehow in my head while this is being defensive it feels more offensive to me as I'm preforming combos in between with quick transition. With blocking you are physically stopping your movement and have to stand stationary in a single place. I like constant action nowadays in this genre and rolling provides that for me.

In summary, Bayonetta has ruined me, but at the same time I think it was for the better :lol

AcciDante

Adam Blue said:

The earlier enemies just attacked so quickly, that I learned to roll through the game also.:lol

john tv

Cornell fight is making me want to throw my PS3 out the window............

Figured out how to counter his hits consistently but still, one minor mistake and you get creamed.

Phenomic

john tv said:
Cornell fight is making me want to throw my PS3 out the window............

Figured out how to counter his hits consistently but still, one minor mistake and you get creamed.

He's a challenge for sure and if Brandon is to be believed in an earlier post, going to tag spoilers to not ruin the fight for someone potentially.

He's the hardest boss in the game

Best tip I would give is get to the 2nd stage with at least 3/4 or more of your shadow and light magic in tact. While that's easier said then done it will put you in a good spot for the rest of the fight. Then you unload all you need to on this stage of the boss to kill him. The final form of the boss you won't really need any of those because you just destroy rocks and avoid getting hit which doesn't take very long.

Y2Kev

If you're on normal (and I think you probably are), you can roll left or right and avoid every one of his attacks and then you hvae like 2 seconds of him recovering. It takes a minute to figure out his pattern, but it's not too bad. The
second form
has longer range attacks, but they are more obviously telegraphed.

john tv

Phenomic said:
He's a challenge for sure and if Brandon is to be believed in an earlier post, going to tag spoilers to not ruin the fight for someone potentially.

He's the hardest boss in the game

Best tip I would give is get to the 2nd stage with at least 3/4 or more of your shadow and light magic in tact. While that's easier said then done it will put you in a good spot for the rest of the fight. Then you unload all you need to on this stage of the boss to kill him. The final form of the boss you won't really need any of those because you just destroy rocks and avoid getting hit which doesn't take very long.
Yeah, I just beat him - I got to the second phase with full shadow and light, then basically parried every single hit and just whaled on him over and over. It took a while to get the timing down for his parries, but once I got it, it wasn't TOO bad. But God it took like 50 tries to get the timing right. So frustrating! But admittedly beating him felt pretty rewarding. :)

Parrying is key to succeeding in this game IMO - I dunno how some of you are progressing without it! Major battles amount to parrying and getting your little...whatever meter at the bottom (with the runes) to max capacity so you can get orange energy to refill light and shadow magic as you go. Otherwise fights would just take forever, no?

wwm0nkey

Completely random but if there where ever to make a movie of this game does anyone else think Jake Gyllenhaal needs to be Gabriel.

Future

So how many people are skipping puzzles. Cuz every damn one is trial and error. I feel compelled to go through them, but so annoying. Camera makes it hard to get my bearings. Platforming is bad adding deaths making things even longer

In a later chapter where I had to move crows and now I'm in a music box just trial and errorin my way through

Top Bottom