• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFBWeek5: Clempsoning | klmsneng | Verb | to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

Was this posted yesterday?

Jimbo also explained why Jameis Winston won't be doing weekly press conferences anymore. He said trying to give him more time for academics.

— Warchant.com (@Warchant) September 23, 2014

:jnc yeah okay, Jimbo.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
That title is misleading as fuck. But yea, it's pretty much the general consensus and knowledge around the FSU student body that the victim's (and her lawyer's) actions are shady at best.

I'm shocked to hear that "general consensus around the FSU student body" seems to be to defend their star QB.

Shocked.

AntoneM

Yahoo! Presents TTK Presents GAF's CFB Pick'em

(all games Saturday unless otherwise marked)

(THU) UCLA @ Arizona State by 4
Vanderbilt @ Kentucky by 6
Maryland @ Indiana by 4
Florida State @ NC State by 17
Arkansas vs Texas A&M by 17
Minnesota @ Michigan by 4
Stanford @ Washington by 11
Missouri @ South Carolina by 4
Duke @ Miami by 4
Washington State @ Utah by 11
Illinois @ Nebraska by 11
Oregon State @ USC by 4

Picking UCLA over ASU hurts, but without our starting QB I think UCLA takes it. Unless of course Hundley doesn't play either.

I still think we have about 55-60% shot at winning even if Hundley plays if UCLA's D-line keeps letting Hundley get sacked.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Yahoo! Presents TTK Presents GAF's CFB Pick'em

(all games Saturday unless otherwise marked)

Vanderbilt @ Kentucky by 6
Maryland @ Indiana by 4
Florida State @ NC State by X
Arkansas vs Texas A&M by 17
Stanford @ Washington by 11
Duke @ Miami by 4
Washington State @ Utah by 11
Illinois @ Nebraska by 11
Oregon State @ USC by X4

Picking UCLA over ASU hurts, but without our starting QB I think UCLA takes it. Unless of course Hundley doesn't play either.

I still think we have about 55-60% shot at winning even if Hundley plays if UCLA's D-line keeps letting Hundley get sacked.

Picking against your own team is shameful.

StoOgE

(THU) UCLA @ Arizona State by 10
Vanderbilt @ Kentucky by 4
Maryland @ Indiana by 3
Florida State @ NC State by 21
Arkansas vs Texas A&M by 24
Minnesota @ Michigan by 1.5
Stanford @ Washington by 7
Missouri @ South Carolina by 14
Duke @ Miami by 3
Washington State @ Utah by 4
Illinois @ Nebraska by 17
Oregon State @ USC by 3

Enfinit

I'm shocked to hear that "general consensus around the FSU student body" seems to be to defend their star QB.

Shocked.
I never said anything about defending Jameis Winston. A lot of us (myself included - and by "us" and "general consensus" I'm referring to my social group of FSU students, the students I see, hear, and converse with around campus, and opinions of various students on social media, which I'd imagine is roughly a ~200 person population. Not necessarily an accurate representation of the student population as a whole, but pretty significant in that their opinions are similar) think he can be an absolute idiot, an extreme liability, and we hate the fact that he makes FSU look the way it does.

We condone all of his inane activities. I was the first person in here to say "Jameis is a fucking idiot" when the whole FHRITP shit came out. Again, I never said anything about "defending" Jameis. With my last comment, all I said is that the accuser in the rape case has thrown out some shady details and activities since this whole thing began last year (i.e. the "cleat-chaser" hashtags, multiple semen samples, and now the extortion claim). It's well-known, and it's been reported by multiple credible and non-credible sources.

So please - and I mean absolutely no offense in this - don't generalize the entire population of FSU students for defending an accused rapist because we're all allegedly homers for our star quarterback.

:jnc yeah okay, Jimbo.
Jimbo knows that the less Jameis talks publicly, the less of a liability he is. Plus, I can only imagine that the majority of press questions wouldn't be related to football anyways. Good call, I guess.

andycapps

Jimbo knows that the less Jameis talks publicly, the less of a liability he is. Plus, I can only imagine that the majority of press questions wouldn't be related to football anyways. Good call, I guess.

Right, but he said it was too focus on his studies. It's obvious that Jimbo knows he's an idiot and doesn't want him opening his mouth to the media.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I never said anything about defending Jameis Winston. A lot of us (myself included - and by "us" and "general consensus" I'm referring to my social group of FSU students, the students I see, hear, and converse with around campus, and opinions of various students on social media, which I'd imagine is roughly a ~200 person population. Not necessarily an accurate representation of the student population as a whole, but pretty significant in that their opinions are similar) think he can be an absolute idiot, an extreme liability, and we hate the fact that he makes FSU look the way it does.

We condone all of his inane activities. I was the first person in here to say "Jameis is a fucking idiot" when the whole FHRITP shit came out. Again, I never said anything about "defending" Jameis. With my last comment, all I said is that the accuser in the rape case has thrown out some shady details and activities since this whole thing began last year (i.e. the "cleat-chaser" hashtags, multiple semen samples, and now the extortion claim). It's well-known, and it's been reported by multiple credible and non-credible sources.

So please - and I mean absolutely no offense in this - don't generalize the entire population of FSU students for defending an accused rapist because we're all allegedly homers for our star quarterback.
Freudian slip? Freudian slip. :p

StoOgE

Imagine that the star quarterback at a major SEC school were accused of rape tomorrow. What do you think would be the general student reaction?

Probably some of the following:
-"She's lying"
-"She secretly wanted it"
-"Everyone knows she's a slut"
-"She's just after money or notoriety"

Surprise, those are the exact things we're hearing are the conventional wisdom among the FSU student body.

Look, this doesn't mean you're an evil person for thinking the allegations aren't true, and it doesn't mean that they definitely are true. It does mean that, given we'd expect the above reactions regardless of the truth of the allegations, reporting that the FSU student body reaction mostly consists of the above tells us absolutely nothing about the case. *shrug*

Basically this.

Reporting that the fan base thinks their star QB didn't do the really bad thing isn't shocking and doesn't really give us any insight into the truth.

Draxal

Imagine that the star quarterback at a major SEC school were accused of rape tomorrow. What do you think would be the general student reaction?

Probably some of the following:
-"She's lying"
-"She secretly wanted it"
-"Everyone knows she's a slut"
-"She's just after money or notoriety"

Surprise, those are the exact things we're hearing are the conventional wisdom among the FSU student body.

Look, this doesn't mean you're an evil person for thinking the allegations aren't true, and it doesn't mean that they definitely are true. It does mean that, given we'd expect the above reactions regardless of the truth of the allegations, reporting that the FSU student body reaction mostly consists of the above tells us absolutely nothing about the case. *shrug*

I wouldn't say this is an Sec thing, I call this Notre Daming myself.

KingGondo

Banned
Enfinit said:
I really don't understand the urge to defend Winston. He has repeatedly exercised poor judgment and made himself look like an idiot. Anyone who has read the NY Times account of the alleged rape and subsequent "investigation" can't root for this kid with a clear conscience.

Trying to assassinate the character of his accuser doesn't do anyone any favors either. This exact same thing happened with the Joe Mixon/OU accusations. The girl whose face was broken was dragged through the mud by every manner of OU student/fan/message board poster as an addict, a "hoodrat," a "dumb bitch who had it coming," etc.

Unless you or your 200-or-so FSU student contacts have information that is related to the events of the night of the alleged rape, your opinions on the "shady" actions of the accuser don't carry much weight to anyone outside of Nole Nation. It doesn't matter if she's the worst person in the world. If she was raped, Winston deserves to be in prison.

Talon

I really don't understand the urge to defend Winston. He has repeatedly exercised poor judgment and made himself look like an idiot. Anyone who has read the NY Times account of the alleged rape and subsequent "investigation" can't root for this kid with a clear conscience.

Trying to assassinate the character of his accuser doesn't do anyone any favors either. This exact same thing happened with the Joe Mixon/OU accusations. The girl whose face was broken was dragged through the mud by every manner of OU student/fan/message board poster as an addict, a "hoodrat," a "dumb bitch who had it coming," etc.

Unless you or your 200-or-so FSU student contacts have information that is related to the events of the night of the alleged rape, your opinions on the "shady" actions of the accuser don't carry much weight to anyone outside of Nole Nation. It doesn't matter if she's the worst person in the world. If she was raped, Winston deserves to be in prison.
"Everyone was a kid once."
"Nobody's a saint!"
"You haven't made mistakes?"

Rabble Rabble

StoOgE

Well I think that is part of the reason we see these things happen right?

1) I want to root for my team because I love my team
2) I can't root for an awful person who is a star of our team

So the logical jump our brain makes is to absolve the person of guilt in our heads or resign him to some lesser crime of knuckleheadism or similar lesser offense whereby we are still capable of rooting for said person.

It happens with every single fan base when this stuff happens.

1) Circle the Wagons and attack the accuser
2) Absolve the player of any substantial wrongdoing/diminish it to being a kid or making a dumb choice but ensuring it only rises to the level of 'he put himself in a bad situation' not that he actually did the awful thing or was even capable of it
3) As soon as they are cut from the team or some greater punishment is metted out you cut them loose and are glad to see them gone.

I'm sure there is a name for this phenomenon.

KingGondo

Banned
"Everyone was a kid once."
"Nobody's a saint!"
"You haven't made mistakes?"

Rabble Rabble
It's just so ludicrously transparent and predicable.

Stud athlete is accused of hitting/raping a woman.

Scummy fans rush to find exculpatory info regarding the football player and make excuses for him. They then proceed to dig up as much "dirt" as they can so that the those who wish to can blame the victim.

StoOgE said:
I'm sure there is a name for this phenomenon.
Yep.

andycapps

Winston's lawyer on Twitter.

Real piece of work you hired, Jameis.

I saw those, somebody retweeted them, maybe Ryan Nanni. Seems really unprofessional for Winston's lawyer to tweet that stuff. I mean, it's an ongoing investigation and he's posting that shit? GTFO.

Talon

In lighter news:
gJEyjjt.png

dont_believe_you_anchorman.gif

mre

Opposing Lawyer sends demand letter.

Other lawyer goes on twitter calling it extortion.
To be fair, demand letters ARE a type of extortion. Albeit a legally accepted one. He also knows that he'll never be able to get that letter admitted into evidence so that it can be seen by a jury in the inevitable civil suit, so he's making noise with it now to get it out there.

tokkun

Maryland @ Indiana by 4
Florida State @ NC State by 14
Arkansas vs Texas A&M by 11
Missouri @ South Carolina by 7
Duke @ Miami by 4
Washington State @ Utah by 4
Illinois @ Nebraska by 17
Oregon State @ USC by 7

Schmitty

Here's to another lousy week for correct answers.

(THU) UCLA @ Arizona State by 7
Vanderbilt @ Kentucky by 4 WOW HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO PICK RIGHT HERE?!
Maryland @ Indiana by 7
Florida State @ NC State by13
Arkansas vs Texas A&M by9
Missouri @ South Carolina by 10
Duke @ Miami by 4
Washington State @ Utah by 7
Illinois @ Nebraska by 10
Oregon State @ USC by 4

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
To be fair, demand letters ARE a type of extortion. Albeit a legally accepted one. He also knows that he'll never be able to get that letter admitted into evidence so that it can be seen by a jury in the inevitable civil suit, so he's making noise with it now to get it out there.

Is that legal?

Maryland @ Indiana by 4
Florida State @ NC State by 10
Arkansas vs Texas A&M by 24
Minnesota @ Michigan by 6
Stanford @ Washington by 10
Missouri @ South Carolina by 10
Duke @ Miami by 6
Washington State @ Utah by 17
Illinois @ Nebraska by 35
Oregon State @ USC by 4

bachikarn

Was her lawyer's response posted?

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/lawyers-for-florida-state-jameis-winston-s-accuser-strongly-refute-extortion-claim-092414 said:
Atlanta NFL lawyer, David Cornwell, has apparently leaked to TMZ a self-serving letter to Florida State University that is full of dishonest and distorted statements at a time when Mr. Winston is suffering from the negative attention of his own continuing misconduct of last week. Mr. Cornwell appears to know that Mr. Winston is about to be charged by Florida State with sexual assault and this letter seems to be his final attempt to prevent FSU from complying with federal law.

The facts that Mr. Cornwell chose not to disclose are that it was he himself who reached out to our client’s former counsel Patricia Carroll to discuss paying off our client. Patricia Carroll didn’t even know who David Cornwell was until he called. Mr. Cornwell then himself flew down from Atlanta to negotiate with Ms. Carroll.

Settlement discussions were immediately unproductive as Cornwell was crude and insulting going so far as to say “your client likes to f*** football players.” When told that the client’s main concern was not money but that Winston be held accountable for his actions, Cornwell threatened to sue our client and her parents for civil racketeering in an effort to intimidate them into staying quiet. After learning about Mr. Cornwell’s unprofessional conduct at that meeting from Ms. Carroll, our office has decidedly not engaged with Mr. Cornwell at all or anyone else on Mr. Winston’s behalf. Although it our understanding that settlement was discussed, no authorized demands were made of Mr. Winston.

Mr. Cornwell additionally and inaccurately portrays that our client chose to file a complaint “two years later”. The truth is that the University approached our client in October of 2013 and asked her for the first time whether she would cooperate with disciplinary charges against Mr. Winston after the school received a second report of sexual misconduct by another woman. Our client responded that she would certainly cooperate. Since that time our client through counsel has repeatedly agreed to cooperate and meet with the University. All of these communications, including the October 2013 discussion with FSU officials, is documented. Mr. Cornwell may wish the truth were otherwise but FSU’s own records proves him false.

To the extent that Mr. Cornwell references statements about Mr. Winston’s race, we would doubt that Ms. Carroll made such remarks. The suggested remarks are certainly not beliefs held by our client and she would never authorize anyone to say such things.

mre

Surely, just wondering about the legality. I assume it would be illegal if there are any active cases?
You're not dealing with legal or illegal here. It's more ethical or unethical. Here's the relevant ethical rule in Florida:
RULE 4-3.6 TRIAL PUBLICITY
(a) Prejudicial Extrajudicial Statements Prohibited. A lawyer shall not make an
extrajudicial statement that a reasonable person would expect to be disseminated by means of
public communication if the lawyer knows or reasonably should know that it will have a
substantial likelihood of materially prejudicing an adjudicative proceeding due to its creation of
an imminent and substantial detrimental effect on that proceeding

(b) Statements of Third Parties. A lawyer shall not counsel or assist another person to
make such a statement. Counsel shall exercise reasonable care to prevent investigators,
employees, or other persons assisting in or associated with a case from making extrajudicial
statements that are prohibited under this rule.
Comment
It is difficult to strike a balance between protecting the right to a fair trial and safeguarding
the right of free expression. Preserving the right to a fair trial necessarily entails some
curtailment of the information that may be disseminated about a party prior to trial, particularly
where trial by jury is involved. If there were no such limits, the result would be the practical
nullification of the protective effect of the rules of forensic decorum and the exclusionary rules
of evidence. On the other hand, there are vital social interests served by the free dissemination
of information about events having legal consequences and about legal proceedings themselves.
The public has a right to know about threats to its safety and measures aimed at assuring its
security. It also has a legitimate interest in the conduct of judicial proceedings, particularly in
matters of general public concern. Furthermore, the subject matter of legal proceedings is often
of direct significance in debate and deliberation over questions of public policy.
Amended July 23, 1992, effective Jan. 1, 1993 (605 So.2d 252); Oct. 20, 1994 (644 So.2d 282)
You'd have to look at how the FL bar has historically interpreted this rule to know whether or not it applies only to currently filed cases or also to potential proceedings.

The information being disseminated is very specifically precluded by the applicable rules of evidence, and, as such would most likely be viewed as prejudicial to any attempted adjudication of the matter.

Federal Rules of Evidence 408 (most likely to apply):
(a) Prohibited Uses. Evidence of the following is not admissible — on behalf of any party — either to prove or disprove the validity or amount of a disputed claim or to impeach by a prior inconsistent statement or a contradiction:

(1) furnishing, promising, or offering — or accepting, promising to accept, or offering to accept — a valuable consideration in compromising or attempting to compromise the claim; and

(2) conduct or a statement made during compromise negotiations about the claim — except when offered in a criminal case and when the negotiations related to a claim by a public office in the exercise of its regulatory, investigative, or enforcement authority.​

(b) Exceptions. The court may admit this evidence for another purpose, such as proving a witness’s bias or prejudice, negating a contention of undue delay, or proving an effort to obstruct a criminal investigation or prosecution.
Florida Rules of Evidence 408
90.408 Compromise and offers to compromise.--Evidence of an offer to compromise a claim which was disputed as to validity or amount, as well as any relevant conduct or statements made in negotiations concerning a compromise, is inadmissible to prove liability or absence of liability for the claim or its value.

Jay Sosa

Vanderbilt @ Kentucky by 10
Maryland @ Indiana by 7
Florida State @ NC State by 6
Arkansas vs Texas A&M by 13
Minnesota @ Michigan by 6
Stanford @ Washington by 4
Duke @ Miami by 4
Washington State @ Utah by 12
Illinois @ Nebraska by 4
Oregon State @ USC by 13

mre

So that response from her lawyers sounds like FSU were/are about to suspend Winston for the sexual assault on her?
They're just slinging their own mud. Notice that their response uses the words "appears" and "seems" at that point.

StoOgE

They're just slinging their own mud. Notice that their response uses the word "appears" at that point.

Wonder if there is any veracity to the second woman charge?

Again, this is just jockying in the public eye, but the woman's lawyer comes off as more believable if only because she seems to be level headed and isn't saying dumb shit on twitter.

mre

Wonder if there is any veracity to the second woman charge?

Again, this is just jockying in the public eye, but the woman's lawyer comes off as more believable if only because she seems to be level headed and isn't saying dumb shit on twitter.
When it comes down to it, all you really have as an attorney is your credibility, and Winston's doesn't have any at this point.

No clue about the alleged second woman. I hope that it isn't true, but if it is, then it means that FSU has silently sat on that one for almost a year.

andycapps

When it comes down to it, all you really have as an attorney is your credibility, and Winston's doesn't have any at this point.

No clue about the alleged second woman. I hope that it isn't true, but if it is, then it means that FSU has silently sat on that one for almost a year.

Would that surprise you at this point? Honestly, I'd be more surprised if Winston didn't have more complaints that have been covered up by FSU than what we know about.

mre

Would that surprise you at this point? Honestly, I'd be more surprised if Winston didn't have more complaints that have been covered up by FSU than what we know about.
If 5 years from now we got information somehow that there was another alleged victim, then, no, I wouldn't be surprised. The fact that (1) FSU has supposedly told the attorney for the first alleged victim that there could be other victims, and (2) we haven't heard about this possibility up to this point IS surprising to me. That's a pretty shitty cover-up.

There were reports last year about a second woman, though I do not remember the specifics. It was in the various documents and reports that were circulating around the time of the state attorney's decision not to prosecute.

andycapps

If 5 years from now we got information somehow that there was another alleged victim, then, no, I wouldn't be surprised. The fact that (1) FSU has supposedly told the attorney for the first alleged victim that there could be other victims, and (2) we haven't heard about this possibility up to this point IS surprising to me. That's a pretty shitty cover-up.

I'm with Randolph, I thought there was a rumor back then of another woman. Also, my lack of surprise would stem from Jameis being an idiot and FSU proving that they're okay with fumbling/delaying an investigation leading to my thinking that they would also be okay covering up another incident by persuading the other victim to not say anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom