• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFBWeek5: Clempsoning | klmsneng | Verb | to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Michigan's kinda in a weird spot right now. I know the BIG ten recruiting ground is overrated as a whole, but they're not in a talent rich laden region and with tOSU/Sparty doing really well in their area really hurts them bad.

USC and Texas are the big alpha dogs in two of the three richest talent bases in the county. Michigan isn't (their talent base was always Ohio)

They'll still be back.

Right now they are trying to rebuild while Notre Dame and Michigan State are doing well and tOSU is doing well.

Same issue Texas and USC are having.

Typically a recruiting base can only support so many dominant teams and Texas is having to compete with OU, Aggy, LSU, Okie St and Baylor who have all been doing well.

We basically either need to force someone back to the kids table or wait for their inevitable collapse which will come with time.

We basically either need to force someone back to the kids table or wait for their inevitable collapse which will come with time.

Once Sumlin bolts from Aggy for the NFL (two years, tops) you guys will bounce right back.

You're still the stronger football brand and you're in Austin, not College Fucking Station, i.e., the most miserable shit college town I've ever been to in my entire life.

Sure, but the advantage of being a traditional power is things tend to move back to the mean over time. Michigan will be back at some point. Texas and USC will both win a national title in the next 20 years.

For every plucky Baylor fan today there was a UofH fan in 1991.

These things tend to sort themselves out in the long run.

Of course. USC was pretty much crap for most of the 90s for example and was still better than most of their conference, then they get a decent coach and after a mediocre first year (Record wise) they vault back into the national picture. Bama has a run of bad coaches, gets Saban, boom they're the class of the NCAA again. It will take massive changes to recruiting for USC and Texas to be down forever.

Once Sumlin bolts from Aggy for the NFL (two years, tops) you guys will bounce right back.

You're still the stronger football brand and you're in Austin, not College Fucking Station, i.e., the most miserable shit college town I've ever been to in my entire life.

I think this is an important thing to remember as well. Austin and Los Angeles are world class cities and offer tons on top of just playing football and going to school. Of course USC and Texas are also both really good schools so that helps a ton too. Basically schools like USC and Texas have too many inherent advantages on top of tradition and NFL pipeline to not be good at recruiting. They just need coaches who aren't total dipshits like Lane Kiffin or Paul Hackett.

Michigan I dunno, they are a good school academically but Ann Arbor isn't really on the same tier as Austin or Los Angeles.

KingGondo

Banned
Typically a recruiting base can only support so many dominant teams and Texas is having to compete with OU, Aggy, LSU, Okie St and Baylor who have all been doing well.

You have my axe in pushing Baylor back to the kid's table.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
SBNation tweeted this blurb on the Syracuse/ND game:

ByPho3eIMAAKG6q.jpg:large

1: Didn't realize that Syracuse was 15th overall in victories.
2: Lol @ the 12 combined National Titles stat.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Found this gem after googling "fire Dave Brandon" (sans quotation marks):

Likely bullshit, but still amusing.

In any case, Michigan definitely shouldn't let Brandon hire their next coach. Fire him before the season ends and let the next AD find Hoke's replacement.
Wait... One of your choices for AD is supposedly the guy who hired Steve Adazzio as a head coach?

So FSU actually went through and approved Senator Thrasher as president? Wow lol.

Hopefully it works out I guess. As an outsider, that doesn't seem too confident.

Enfinit

So FSU actually went through and approved Senator Thrasher as president? Wow lol.

Hopefully it works out I guess. As an outsider, that doesn't seem too confident.

Yea, when I got the FSU email announcement confirmation, I was a little surprised to. He was the favorite going into the selection process, so it was moderately expected.

A lot of students are protesting the decision, based on the principle that the president of the university should be an educator, not a politician. Thrasher was a big advocate and lobbyist for the approval and funding of the FSU College of Medicine, so I'm going to assume that one of the major reasons he was chosen was because of his... economic and governmental upside.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
If Fisher left after this season, would you be happy if FSU hired him?

A good hire for FSU and a good hire for BC are two different things.

Again, Addazio seems to be doing a fine job at BC. That could all change of course.

Does he have a poor reputation other than his propensity for dive plays as OC?

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I realize that NSCU hasn't played, anybody, but I still find this stat line hilarious:

Jacoby Brissett
#12 QB Junior North Carolina State Wolfpack

SEASON CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT RAW QBR ADJ QBR
2014 83 119 1005 69.7 8.45 65 10 1 4 166.7 83.9 74.2

Jeff Driskel
#6 QB Junior Florida Gatas

2014 65 116 636 56.0 5.48 51 5 3 2 111.1 52.4 48.5

Pretty much. I managed to miss the first three quarters while out at dinner, and then I listened to the 4th quarter collapse on the radio. Not a good way to cap the evening. Cal is entertaining to watch this season, but the danger of actually being competitive is that there are occasionally brutal losses like the Arizona game. Oh well. It'll be interesting to see how the team reacts this week against Colorado at home since they're favored.

Also, this is a bad week for Cal to solicit donations for the athletic department:

Anyone else watch that Real Sports segment on Urban Meyer earlier tonight? Goddamn. His dad was a real prick and now I feel bad for ever making light of his health conditions.

Anyone else watch that Real Sports segment on Urban Meyer earlier tonight? Goddamn. His dad was a real prick and now I feel bad for ever making light of his health conditions.

Yeah the local beat writer wrote a book after the 2012 undefeated season and it covered all the stuff he went through at Florida and what not. There was no new info in tonights thing, but it was good none the less.

ryseing

I realize that NSCU hasn't played, anybody, but I still find this stat line hilarious:

Jacoby Brissett
#12 QB Junior North Carolina State Wolfpack

2014 83 119 1005 69.7 8.45 65 10 1 4 166.7 83.9 74.2

Jeff Driskel
#6 QB Junior Florida Gatas

2014 65 116 636 56.0 5.48 51 5 3 2 111.1 52.4 48.5

I do think Brissett is for real. Just hope he shows it this weekend.

Ryan McGee, author of ESPN's bottom 10, takes ownership of the phrase "Clepsoning". He can go ahead and take claim to it since the rest of the CFB world will continue to use "Clempsoning"

5. Clepson (1-2)
No, that's not a misspelling. That's a phonetic spelling. As a proud owner of an Upstate South Carolina high school diploma (Go Travelers Rest Devildogs!), I can tell you that occupant of the coveted No. 5 spot isn't pronounced with an "m" in the middle, it's with "p." So, I call it "Clepsoning." As I envision it, coach Dabo Swinney got back to his desk on Sunday and checked his voicemail. Beep. "Hey Dabo, Danny Ford here. I wanted to let you know that there's an old playbook of mine stuffed behind the file cabinet in your office. I know the pages are yellowed and the plays are 30 years old, but pretty much anything in there will work better than what you just tried. Thanks." Beep. You have no more messages.

link

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
East Carolina, and they beat a team that needs a "supervisor of morale"

Not sure exactly what that is or if any other school has one but, I have a feeling this guy is going to have his work cut out for him this year.

Who the hell ways a pro jersey to a college game, especially when they are on staff?

Tamanon

Banned
Supposedly they're jerseys of former UNC players. He was apparently wearing a Julius Peppers Packers jersey the week before. I guess it's to inspire people to play good enough to get to the pros?

It's just weird though. He's a grad assistant.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Supposedly they're jerseys of former UNC players. He was apparently wearing a Julius Peppers Packers jersey the week before. I guess it's to inspire people to play good enough to get to the pros?

It's just weird though. He's a grad assistant.

SBNation article that says he does it to be more visible to the players since he's the one that signals plays. Can't tell if that's legit information or if they're just guessing.

andycapps

The great thing about this is that at the time of Taylor's dismissal, many UGA fans joked that Auburn would be recruiting him shortly. Welp. Looks like Auburn may be fielding a whole team from players that were kicked out of UGA. You can never do so much that the Auburn Family won't welcome you with open arms. Nick Marshall was kicked off UGA's team for stealing from a teammate. When you hear Verne and Gary wax poetic about him overcoming "adversity" that's what they're referring to.

Gus Malzahn is still a penis.

AUBURN, Ala. — Domestic violence has developed into a national issue in the past month, with the arrests of multiple NFL players placing the sordid subject under a microscope from the media and the general public alike.

The topic was broached at Gus Malzahn's weekly press conference Tuesday, when Auburn's coach was asked whether he has a zero-tolerance policy in place for domestic violence.

"There’s no doubt about that," he said. "I would expect that most programs around the country have that."

The same goes for any prospective recruit with a documented history of domestic violence.

"There’s no doubt," said Malzahn, who due to NCAA rules is not permitted to comment on specific recruits. "You don’t go there."

Except at the moment, the Tigers are recruiting — according to AuburnUndercover.com — a player that was arrested on a felony aggravated assault/family violence charge in July. That player is former Georgia defensive lineman Jonathan Taylor. According to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Taylor was arrested after police found evidence he had assaulted his girlfriend during a domestic dispute in a Georgia residence hall room. The evidence and witness accounts allege Taylor "choked" and "struck with a closed fist" the victim.

Following his arrest, he posted $5,000 and was dismissed from the Bulldogs hours later. In addition to his aggravated assault/family violence charge, Taylor was also one of four Georgia players arrested in March on misdemeanor theft charges. In that incident, Taylor was charged with two counts of theft by deception for attempting to cash the same check twice.

One of the other players charged in that episode was Tray Matthews, who was dismissed from Georgia in June and transferred to Auburn later that month.

KingGondo

Banned
(THU) UCLA @ Arizona State by 8
Vanderbilt @ Kentucky by 13
Maryland @ Indiana by 6
Florida State @ NC State by 12
Arkansas vs Texas A&M by 16
Minnesota @ Michigan by 5
Stanford @ Washington by 9
Missouri @ South Carolina by 10
Duke @ Miami by 11
Washington State @ Utah by 7
Illinois @ Nebraska by 15
Oregon State @ USC by 13

andycapps

(THU) UCLA @ Arizona State by 4
Vanderbilt @ Kentucky by 12
Maryland @ Indiana by 4
Florida State @ NC State by 20
Arkansas vs Texas A&M by 20
Minnesota @ Michigan by 12
Stanford @ Washington by 13
Missouri @ South Carolina by 4
Duke @ Miami by 7
Washington State @ Utah by 12
Illinois @ Nebraska by 17
Oregon State @ USC by 4

KingGondo

Banned
(THU) UCLA @ Arizona State by 4
Vanderbilt @ Kentucky by 4
Maryland @ Indiana by 4
Florida State @ NC State by 10
Arkansas vs Texas A&M by 21
Minnesota @ Michigan by 4
Stanford @ Washington by 4
Missouri @ South Carolina by 4
Duke @ Miami by 4
Washington State @ Utah by 4
Illinois @ Nebraska by 10
Oregon State @ USC by 10

God I hate picking ACC games.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
The great thing about this is that at the time of Taylor's dismissal, many UGA fans joked that Auburn would be recruiting him shortly. Welp. Looks like Auburn may be fielding a whole team from players that were kicked out of UGA. You can never do so much that the Auburn Family won't welcome you with open arms. Nick Marshall was kicked off UGA's team for stealing from a teammate. When you hear Verne and Gary wax poetic about him overcoming "adversity" that's what they're referring to.

Gus Malzahn is still a penis.

I hear that DeVonte Fields is at Trinity Valley CC right now, and that Malzahn and Briles are in negotiations with UFC on an event to decide who gets him for 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom