• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFBWeek5: Clempsoning | klmsneng | Verb | to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

Status
Not open for further replies.

xeris

Going to enjoy my #1 while it lasts. Fully expect to fade into obscurity this week.

TTK Presents: GAF Pick'em Week 5 Games
(all games Saturday unless otherwise marked)

(THU) UCLA @ Arizona State by 4
Vanderbilt @ Kentucky by 4
Maryland @ Indiana by 4
Florida State @ NC State by 10
Arkansas vs Texas A&M by 14
Minnesota @ Michigan by 4
Stanford @ Washington by 10
Missouri @ South Carolina by 4
Duke @ Miami by 4
Washington State @ Utah by 10
Illinois @ Nebraska by 14
Oregon State @ USC by 10

Westonian

But guys, strength of schedule isn't weighted that much. You can tell, because Michigan lost* and they moved up 5 spots. It's all about efficiency.

*Curb stomped at home

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I didn't even get to the meltdown part yet, but, my god, this gif:

wPgagjv.gif

:jnc

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Does it make me a bad person that all of the LSU references to 1/9 like it was fucking 9/11 make me smile?

Limedust

Does it make me a bad person that all of the LSU references to 1/9 like it was fucking 9/11 make me smile?

LSU does a good meltdown... and with the advent of the D1 playoff, we may never see a rematch like that again unless it expands.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
63. I could see him going back to UNC or something, but not to a traditional power or anything.

Dude is making 500K a year sitting on his duff from Texas plus whatever amount ABC is paying him to force everyone In America to adjust the color balance of their sets thinking that yellow must be oversaturated.

He's going nowhere.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I wonder what the LSU meltdown would be like if Les Miles were to ever bolt for Michigan.

Depends on his most recent showing. If it's now, not much of a meltdown. If it's after beating Alabama, Auburn and Texas A&M, there might be a decent melt.

Draxal

High school games cost $5....

Syracuse's AD was a buffoon for scheduling those games there.

Syracuse's football fanbase is in upstate NY, they have bbfall fans on the island, but those guys will root for ND in football.

So scheduling the games in a pretty ugly stadium for what is 400 miles from your fanbase, that holds 30,000 more than the Carrier dome which doesn't sell out, and the majority of the fans there will be rooting for ND.

pxleyes

Banned
Meltdown brings the truth. Muschamp really did throw the D under the bus.

You know what the kicker is. Muschamp is going to throw the defense under the fucking bus. Every time it's the defenses fault. Well I've got news for you chump, it's your fault. You're the head coach and you have destroyed this program. You are stealing from the university every time you cash your paycheck you pathetic excuse for a coach. You filthy leg humper, get the hell out of Gainesville get the hell out of florida get the hell out of the south you are a god damn embarrassment.

andycapps

Meltdown brings the truth. Muschamp really did throw the D under the bus.

He needs to throw Driskell under the bus, and keep backing up over him and pulling forward until he's unable to play. Florida's defense did well considering that they were being put out on the field after only a couple minutes rest because Driskell is a fucking headcase and extremely untalented QB.

They need to bench Driskell and start playing that freshman. Start playing for the future, Driskell has no upside.

Lunar15

The weirdest thing about all of this is that Driskel is a Junior.

Also, what's up with Grier? He was touted to be the next big thing, but then we picked up Harris after that? I know Grier is redshirted, but playing Harris for the future doesn't make a lot of sense to me when we have Grier right there, but I guess if Harris does well we can hold on to Grier for awhile.

My only fear with starting Harris is that I keep having flashbacks of that one game last season where Tyler Murphy looked competent with some decent long passes... but then proceeded to Tyler Murphy. At the end of the day, ain't nobody gonna do well under this offensive line and with these receivers. Driskel had some spot on passes, but they kept getting dropped. Harris isn't going to change that.

At the end of the day, losing to Alabama sucks, but maybe since the east is turning out another horrible season we can at least scrounge up enough wins to go to a bowl. Woo lowered expectations!

Former UM QB Michael Taylor is teeing off on Michigan right now on their sports station. He is saying him and other great players have to buy their own tickets. Stories of guys who are being honored on the field had to buy their own tickets for that game.

pxleyes

Banned
He needs to throw Driskell under the bus, and keep backing up over him and pulling forward until he's unable to play. Florida's defense did well considering that they were being put out on the field after only a couple minutes rest because Driskell is a fucking headcase and extremely untalented QB.

They need to bench Driskell and start playing that freshman. Start playing for the future, Driskell has no upside.

When Georgia fans know how to make Florida better, you know you have a bad coach.

Jhriad

One of the suspended players for the Longhorns, Kennedy Estelle, has now been dismissed from the team.

Does Texas have any scholarship players left after all the dismissals and injuries? It's early yet but it looks from the outside like Strong won't be there too long.

KingGondo

Banned
Former UM QB Michael Taylor is teeing off on Michigan right now on their sports station. He is saying him and other great players have to buy their own tickets. Stories of guys who are being honored on the field had to buy their own tickets for that game.
Do they enjoy products of The Coca-Cola Company? Well if so, have I got a deal for them!

Does Texas have any scholarship players left after all the dismissals and injuries? It's early yet but it looks from the outside like Strong won't be there too long.
Eh, wayyyy too early for that kind of talk. He'll get 4 years unless UT administration is really stupid. You have to allow a guy to clean house and recruit his type of kids.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

He may be going a bit further than anybody expected but in general principal I doubt he's doing anything he didn't say he would during the hiring process.

Dave Brandon really should be on the hot seat along with Hoke.

Everything I've read about him has been negative. Both students and alumni seem really fucking pissed off about everything being done by the U-M Athletic Department.

cdyhybrid

Sounds like Willingham-era UW.

Talon

Dave Brandon really should be on the hot seat along with Hoke.

Everything I've read about him has been negative. Both students and alumni seem really fucking pissed off about everything being done by the U-M Athletic Department.
Yeah, everybody seems to hate Brandon - undergrads, grads, and admins.

Found this gem after googling "fire Dave Brandon" (sans quotation marks):

Gregg Henson said:
I’ve been talking to a lot of guys closely connected to the Michigan football program. None of this is my opinion, it’s all from plugged in Michigan alumni, former players and insiders.

The Michigan Board Of Regents is off the Dave Brandon bandwagon, change is inevitable and I am told it is “only a matter of time” before Dave Brandon is done as Michigan Athletic Director. The Regents have tired of Brandon’s act and believe his aggressive marketing and “gouging” of the Michigan fan base has done extreme damage to the brand that has been so tenderly cultivated for the last 50 years. The “free tickets” with a Coke disaster is the final nail, although I’m told Brandon’s fate was sealed long ago.

I’m told by three solid sources that the Board Of Regents is no longer in Dave Brandon’s corner and realize that Les Miles, Jim Harbaugh, John Harbaugh and any other credible coach will not come to Ann Arbor as long as Brandon is the Athletic Director. None of the big name coaches will tolerate his meddling. The Board of Regents understand that, if Brandon isn’t fired, Michigan won’t get the right coach to lead the Maize and Blue. Dave Brandon only understands how to make money, he doesn’t understand how to do the other half of the job, hiring the right men to lead the Michigan athletic programs. It’s the classic sales vs. product problem. You can only market so much without a solid product, Dave Brandon is cooked.

My three separate sources tell me that the next domino to fall is Brandon. He must go before any potential football coach can be approached as he totally botched the Hoke hire, never offering the gig to Miles or either Harbaugh. As a matter of fact, he never even returned calls to Les Miles when he was interested. In his mind Hoke was the only option from day one.

The two names surfacing in the AD hunt are Ward Manuel the AD at Uconn and Brad Bates, the current AD at Boston College.

Manuel was a HUGE Bo Schembechler recruit from New Orleans in the mid 80′s who injured his neck and retired from football as a Wolverine. He spent many years in the Michigan Athletic Department after his injury and was highly regarded before he left for The AD position at University of Buffalo. He hired Turner Gill at Buffalo and along with Gill they achieved Buffalo’s first winning record and post season bid in 2008, since the program went D-1 in 1999. While winning on the field, Manuel also increased revenue at Buffalo from $11 million to $25 million in 3 years. He knows both sided of the business. He is currently the Athletic Director at UCONN.

The second name in the Michigan AD equation is Brad Bates, the current AD at Boston College. Brad Bates, who Bo Schembecher thought would make a great Michigan AD in “Bo’s Lasting Lessons,” leaves Miami (NTM) for Boston College, according to the BC school paper The Heights. Bates played under Bo from 1977 to 1981 as a walk-on DB. I know less about Bates than Manuel, but he appears to be a solid candidate.

If either one of these gentlemen is hired, the road to a Harbaugh gets much more probable. Both Harbaugh brothers and Miles would take the Michigan job under the stewardship of Bates or Manuel, none of them would come to Michigan under Brandon, so change is imminent.

My sources are solid, two respected journalists, one high profile ex-Michigan football star and as I write this a HUGE donor/former Michigan athlete.

The winds of change are powerful at Michigan, this will happen sooner rather than later. If you are a Michigan fan, just know that change is coming soon.

There are other possibilities for the AD job, but Manuel and Bates are the two front runners as I write this, the other candidates are impressive as well.

Yes, the days are dark in Ann Arbor for Michigan football, but it appears Bo’s boys are coming home to right the ship.

Likely bullshit, but still amusing.

In any case, Michigan definitely shouldn't let Brandon hire their next coach. Fire him before the season ends and let the next AD find Hoke's replacement.

I hate to say it, but the BIG needs Michigan to be good again.

It's true.

I mean, it's enjoyable to see Michigan go through such a miserable period, but at some point, they need to bounce back.

Beating Michigan is always fun, but from a national perspective, we really need that game to matter again.

andycapps

Found this gem after googling "fire Dave Brandon" (sans quotation marks):

Likely bullshit, but still amusing.

In any case, Michigan definitely shouldn't let Brandon hire their next coach. Fire him before the season ends and let the next AD find Hoke's replacement.

This reads too much like $9.95 info to be credible. I wouldn't be shocked if the AD got fired, but basing potential hires based on only two sources seems dubious at best.

Talon

It's true.

I mean, it's enjoyable to see Michigan go through such a miserable period, but at some point, they need to bounce back.

Beating Michigan is always fun, but from a national perspective, we really need that game to matter again.
Your (Our) conference means nothing.

Embrace it.

Draxal

Man, Michigan sucking is giving me false hope in 2 weeks. If Rutgers went bowling with our schedule this year, I'd be ecstatic.

Could you imagine a USC vs Texas Bowl game at this juncture? Instead of being a re-match of the two teams from the greatest MNC game it would be a game to see which once historic program has enough players left to actually field a competent football game.

People who hate traditional powers (re: Oregon fans) would jerk off to it.

Tamanon

Banned

Can't he just buy some cokes?

StoOgE

I mean, Texas was beating UCLA on a 'neutral' field late in the 4th Quarter.

So far we have a blowout win against a creampuff
A blowout loss to a top 25 team at home
A close loss to a top 15 team on a 'neutral' field (as neutral as Dallas can be).

We will likely win this week and then likely lose the next two after that.

If we can pick off one of Baylor or OU that would basically be the big signature win this year, then it's just down to seeing what the team looks like towards the end of the year and if we've made any improvement.

We won't really know until next season if he has a future in Austin. I tend to think he does, but I had a UM alum go off on how Hoke was the guy before last season and before this season, so who knows.

StoOgE

People who hate traditional powers (re: Oregon fans) would jerk off to it.

Sure, but the advantage of being a traditional power is things tend to move back to the mean over time. Michigan will be back at some point. Texas and USC will both win a national title in the next 20 years.

For every plucky Baylor fan today there was a UofH fan in 1991.

These things tend to sort themselves out in the long run.

Strong is in no danger of losing his job for a few years. Bright side of all these scholarship player dismissals is that he'll have that many more open scholarships for his next recruiting class so he can fill the roster with his type of players quicker than anticipated.

Sure, but the advantage of being a traditional power is things tend to move back to the mean over time. Michigan will be back at some point. Texas and USC will both win a national title in the next 20 years.

I'm too young to remember the pre-Ricky Williams era and the decade leading up to it, but I hear we were pretty bad for a good decade. I suppose we're in the middle of an era like that right now. The first of its kind for my generation.

StoOgE

Strong is in no danger of losing his job for a few years. Bright side of all these scholarship player dismissals is that he'll have that many more open scholarships for his next recruiting class so he can fill the roster with his type of players quicker than anticipated.

Eh, he needs early enrollees which means at this point he'll have to take some players that are reaches because of the 25 signing class limit.

Early enrollees count against last years class which we now have plenty of room on. :/

Eh, he needs early enrollees which means at this point he'll have to take some players that are reaches because of the 25 signing class limit.

Early enrollees count against last years class which we now have plenty of room on. :/

Just about every recruit that chose Louisville would have been considered a "reach" at Texas, and he did a fine job with them. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic here, but without optimism is just depression, and I don't want to be depressed.

Draxal

Michigan's kinda in a weird spot right now. I know the BIG ten recruiting ground is overrated as a whole, but they're not in a talent rich laden region and with tOSU/Sparty doing really well in their area really hurts them bad.

USC and Texas are the big alpha dogs in two of the three richest talent bases in the county. Michigan isn't (their talent base was always Ohio)

Just about every recruit that chose Louisville would have been considered a "reach" at Texas, and he did a fine job with them. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic here, but without optimism is just depression, and I don't want to be depressed.

In the AAC/Big East you could get carried by a world class qb alone, alot of Ville's success was all Teddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom