• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlie Hebdo attacks - Hostage situations ended, 4 hostages reportedly killed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pacbois

On the second Vincennes suspect :

French media reported a second, possibly armed, body next to Coulibaly in the store. In the very unlikely case of an escaped suspect, the whole area is still under police lockdown, with possible police searching the whole area making sure it's safe and also to find clues.

abzyshaid

Banned
sky news says maybe

roddymansfield just now
Update - French media report second gunman in kosher grocery in eastern #Paris was unknown male and has escaped as hostage situation ends

— Sky News Newsdesk (@SkyNewsBreak) January 9, 2015

Why did they order the assault ? :/

This is a bloodbath, 2 injured cops, 4 hostages dead and 4 injured (France24).

They had to attack at the same time as the guy in the Shop was threatening to kill hostages if the brothers weren't set free.

But the brothers stormed out gun blazing in front of the cops.

Apparently, 3 of the hostages killed in the shop were when they got in, hours before the assault. One hostage might have been killed during the raid. Let's wait for official statements

sky news says maybe

roddymansfield just now
Update - French media report second gunman in kosher grocery in eastern #Paris was unknown male and has escaped as hostage situation ends

— Sky News Newsdesk (@SkyNewsBreak) January 9, 2015

HELL how can he escaped when there were 300 cops around the shop ? Do they use their brain ? Everybody reports he was killed inside and there are actually surprised there were two gunmen. Is sky full of retarded journos or don't they understand french ?

Nohar

That's what you get for voting for someone because you don't like the other guy. :/

Sadly, in 2012, it was choosing between Scylla and Charybdis... And there is little to no doubt that it will be worse in 2017.

Mully

B6v91NHIMAANw5T.jpg

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
And why do you think this ?
Why do I think what? That it makes them look bad? If it's confirmed that the brothers didn't know and that guy was even feeding them information they should have acted sooner. They had time enough before the second hostage situation.

SgtCobra

nYQoaUJ.gif

So good.

But to be honest and even realistic as I may say, the terrorists won. They made a statement, they killed their targets and they died as martyrs.
I think that things will change in the next few years, not only regarding safety measures but also on how people will treat each other. Even though it sounds dramatic I'm sure that in some aspects the society will change a bit.
I'm talking about mainland Europe btw.

What a sad week it has been..

So they're reporting now that the two brothers didn't even know about that guy who was with them in the building. That it actually wasn't a hostage situation at all. This combined with the reports that the brothers started the shooting makes the police look pretty bad I think.

No ??
There was an hostage , any change in the building would have changed the situation. They had to include the fact that someone was in the building regardless if the bad guys knew about it or not.
Conflicting informations from other sources doesn't change the fact that they managed to get him out safely.

Also the special forces can't predict everything that hostage takers can do , they reacted and got the job done. That's all there is to it.

Seventy70

They had to attack at the same time as the guy in the Shop was threatening to kill hostages if the brothers weren't set free.

But the brothers stormed out gun blazing in front of the cops.

Apparently, 3 of the hostages killed in the shop were when they got in, hours before the assault. One hostage might have been killed during the raid. Let's wait for official statements

HELL how can he escaped when there were 300 cops around the shop ? Do they use their brain ? Everybody reports he was killed inside and there are actually surprised there were two gunmen. Is sky full of retarded journos or don't they understand french ?
Didn't they say that two stormed out? Maybe it was a diversion or something.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
How does this make the police look bad. They killed 12 people and are attacking the police. What do you want them to do?
Kill both people sooner? Preferably before the second hostage situation. What's the reasonong behind waiting if nothing prevents them to go in?

Mimosa97

That's what you get for voting for someone because you don't like the other guy. :/

I didn't vote cause i had just moved to Canada but if i had i would have voted for the idiot cause there was no way i would have given my vote to Sarkozy. And yeah, most people voted for Holland just to counter Sarkozy ...

Oh well.

Fuck our lives :(

Joni

Why do I think what? That it makes them look bad? If it's confirmed that the brothers didn't know and that guy was even feeding them information they should have acted sooner. They had time enough before the second hostage situation.
The guy on the first floor also believed he wasn't alone in the building and that others were captured/killed by the brothers. The police didn't know who was inside. Aside from that, there are also reports there was a female hostage aside from the guy upstairs; and they had to evacuate the nearby schools, something that would have taken time.

nYQoaUJ.gif

So good.

But to be honest and even realistic as I may say, the terrorists won. They made a statement, they killed their targets and they died as martyrs.
I think that things will change in the next few years, not only regarding safety measures but also on how people will treat each other. Even though it sounds dramatic I'm sure that in some aspects the society will change a bit.

And the police also made a statement. "Fuck with us and you get a bullet. We're not going to give you a split second of thought." You can spin it any way you want.

Steeven

If these brothers are related to Al Qaeda in Yemen, then I wonder if they shared any connection with Anwar Al-Awlaki, who is considered responsible as the main ideologist of several terrorist attacks in both the US (Fort Hood, Boston) and GB.

As I assume that most American GAF members will know, Al-Awlaki was an highly educated American citizen of Yemeni origins who was blown up in Yemen with a Hellfire missile some years ago. During his time in the US, he became increasingly frustrated with US foreign policy and at some point radicalized. He was also connected to the 'blind sheikh' who serves prison time as of now, and some of the 9/11 hijackers. He posted sermons on Youtube that eventually became popular and inspired others to commit acts of terrorism. He managed more than 60 email accounts to spread his ideas and influence people. Al-Awlaki, in turn, was inspired by Sayyid Qutb, the main ideologist for wahhabism. Qutb wrote his ideas when he served long prison sentences, which is why I am glad that the terrorists in Paris were killed.

Al-Qaeda in the region of Yemen, publishes its own magazine, which can easily be found on the internet. Al-Awlaki was one of the founders of the magazine, in which articles appeared on how to blow up buildings and how to clean your AK-47, or shoot with such a rifle. It would not surprise me at all if these Paris terrorist brothers knew him, or even had met him, depending on at which point they were active in Yemen. But more importantly, they may have been a product of his sick ideas, which is what I would like to know. Even after his death, Al-Awlaki is seen as an influential figure for extremists.

Audioboxer

For absolute justice, yes. But capturing them alive would have yielded information to how they got involved and especially intel on Al Quaida networks that we're obviously not keeping tabs on (to avoid future incidents like these).

Very low chance of ever bringing in people like these alive. They fight to the death, there is no life left to live when you're this far into crazy land/indoctrinated. Even if they were captured alive, how do you get them to talk? Torture? A swift death is a reasonable course of action, torture is not.

Now that we have their identities, a lot of info and intel can still be discovered from tracing their steps and connections over the past years. All is not lost on that front.

ICKE

Banned
nYQoaUJ.gif

So good.

No.

10900194_10153076723188812_2171619200432787835_o.jpg

MilkyJoe

Kill both people sooner? Preferably before the second hostage situation. What's the reasonong behind waiting if nothing prevents them to go in?

Because civilised people do not just murder people if there is a possibility they can find another way to defuse the situation?

Xpliskin

Apparently the 4 Dead were actually shot before the hostage situation and when the terrorists arrived.

The 2 assholes in the printing shop decided to assault the cops.

Because the brothers opened fire on police at danmartin. Soirce bfmtv

3 died before the hostage situation began.

Nothing is confirmed as of yet, but it seemed that the brothers started firing, and when they knew the two hostage situations were connected, or at least they had contact. They had to move up the timetable to assault.

People were dead before the assault. ( Confirmed by the french media Itele ) so they probably couldn't wait anymore since they had to sync their attacks.

Because the brothers got out and started to shot at the GIGN, which forced the RAID/BRI to act fast to safe the civilians if Coulibaly heard about that but he already killed all the hostages that are currently dead. They acted in the best way possible given the circumstances.

They knew about it, he communicated with them the whole time.

BFM reported cellphone signals were scrambled around the printing shop.
Why would he ask for information on them if he could communicate with them ?
Why would he execute 4 hostages and how did they know 4 hostages were killed ?

It's just that there are a lot of ambiguous elements that don't make any sense

Nevertheless, this is a really sad week for humanity.

Kabouter

If these brothers are related to Al Qaeda in Yemen, then I wonder if they shared any connection with Anwar Al-Awlaki, who is considered responsible as the main ideologist of several terrorist attacks in both the US (Fort Hood, Boston) and GB.
The younger brother apparently met him in Yemen.

Pacbois

According to officials, an hostage situation is currently happening in a jewlery store in Montpellier (major city in the south of France). An armed man is taking to people hostage. It is believed to be totally unrelated to events in Paris. Pictures shows a street blocked by Police, way less important than the one seen in Paris or Dammartin.

According to officials, an hostage situation is currently happening in a jewlery store in Montpellier (major city in the south of France). An armed man is taking to people hostage. It is believed to be totally unrelated to events in Paris. Pictures shows a street blocked by Police, way less important than the one seen in Paris or Dammartin.
This is creepy.

Didn't they say that two stormed out? Maybe it was a diversion or something.

The brothers stormed out and litteraly got reaped out of the doors. They were in a building without any hostages (actually there was a guy but they never knew he was there so he wasn't hostage really). There were only two guys, the Charlie gunmen

There were two groups, 50 miles appart. The second group, the black dude in the shop was alone. They were looking for his girlfriend because they was close and also known for being maybe dangerous but never reported on scene or anywhere near. They found out when they stormed the kosher shop a second gunmen, they had no idea about.

But no one escaped especially not the girl who never was there

CaLe

"According to reports in the French media the denouement of the two hostage situations in Paris happened after French security forces crept into position on the roof of the printworks moments before opening bursts of gunfire.

Their two suspects, the Parisian brothers Chérif and Saïd Kouachi, reportedly launched an audacious escape bid, charging out of the building firing at the security forces before being cut down in their tracks."

What a bunch of morons.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Haven't really been following this today, been busy at work. Now these evil fucks have killed even more people? Fuck this. Fuck them. Fuck their ideology of evil and death (no, not all of Islam, although I would personally be happy to see it go away and for reason and rationality to prevail).

In a way I'm glad these fucks are dead, because they sure as hell deserve it (and speaking of hell - oh, how these vile pieces of rotten shit will burn there on the off chance that such a place actually exists). But at the same time I wish they would have been caught alive so they could be brought to justice. Still, dead is better than at large.

Rektash

Just saw another angle of the supermarket assault. There were a lot more hostages than reported. In this video alone I can count more than 15 hostages leaving the shop.

chadskin

On Twitter, there are numerous users talking about a possible bomb threat in Bordeaux. No French media has picked up on this to my knowledge nor do any of the users give any sources, so this is likely false. Don't fall for it.

Mael

Please read the original quote. We're talking about reports that the brothers didn't even know that they had a hostage and that said men fed information to the police.

The hostage feeding info is in Vincennes, the brothers were in Dammartin en Goele.
What are you talking about.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Because civilised people do not just murder people if there is a possibility they can find another way to defuse the situation?
Thanks for explaining that to me. How about we do this discussion in a civilised manner. Read my original quote again. I carefully worded it. I'm not even sure if these reports are true. I just said if they are in fact true it would make the work the police did look bad. Disagree with me but spare me the condescension.

"According to reports in the French media the denouement of the two hostage situations in Paris happened after French security forces crept into position on the roof of the printworks moments before opening bursts of gunfire.

Their two suspects, the Parisian brothers Chérif and Saïd Kouachi, reportedly launched an audacious escape bid, charging out of the building firing at the security forces before being cut down in their tracks."

What a bunch of morons.

Dumb and Dumber.

Pacbois

According to local newspaper, no shots have been heard in Montpellier. Police is locking down the city center, rumour circualting on twitter says that police shut power in the area and might have launch an assault on the jewlery shop.

This is creepy.

Either a planned robbery or just motivated by the fact that Police might have been distracted by today's events.

azyless

Lol,apparently Coulibaly (gunman in the store) forgot to hang up the phone, so police could hear everything and decided when to launch the assault. What a moron. (BFM TV saying this btw)

Kud Dukan

What a bunch of morons.

How would they possibly know what their motivations were when coming out of the building shooting? They could just as easily wanted to die right there.

Joni

David Cameron, Mariano Rajoy, Angela Merkel and Charles Michel will be attending a march in Paris. Probably others will follow to join their support for France and the unified Europe.

What a bunch of morons.

Why? They accomplished their objective, theydied as martyrs.

Apparently Coulibaly didn't hung up the phone when we could someone so the RAID/BRI heard everything up until now. They decided to act because they heard him prying and because the brothers were killed.

Now that is dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom