• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlie Hebdo attacks - Hostage situations ended, 4 hostages reportedly killed

Status
Not open for further replies.

abzyshaid

Banned
French media are reporting that the female suspect initially thought to be involved in the siege was not in the grocery and that there was a second male gunman who is believed to have escaped in the assault.

sky news

Zaph

Le Monde reporting Boumeddiene Hayat was never actually at the grocery store. She was just wanted by association.

As many as other countries have? They have different jurisdictions and expertise.

Groupe d'Intervention de la Gendarmerie National is part the armed force, it does specialize in counter terrorism and hostage rescue. It is a branch of the French Army.

BRI is part of the police, like the GIPN and RAID.

GIPN is the equivalent of the GIGN but for the French Police. It is a nation wide unit. The RAID is the same thing but for Paris and the suburb.

The BRI is a unit that usually specialize in criminal organizations.

If she has escaped, she's got a decent chance of getting away permanently. She couldn't really look any more generic.

"We're looking for a white woman aged somewhere between 18 and 30, she has brown hair, average height and weight... erm... no other distinguishing features."

I mean, if she puts her hair in a ponytail and puts some glasses on, you'd never recognise her.

gone-girl-01_612x380.jpg

Shito

French media are reporting that the female suspect initially thought to be involved in the siege was not in the grocery and that there was a second male gunman who is believed to have escaped in the assault.

sky news
Quality journalism, there.

I've seen no media here talk about anyone escaping the assault.
There was apparently another guy with Coulibaly in the supermarket situation. He died.
The woman is confirmed by several sources to never have been at the supermarket today. She is still wanted.

Anyone know what's going on in pictures 17 and 18?

"Police arrest youths on a scooter as they came to the site of the hostage taking." - Youssef Boudlal / Reuters

Looks like someone entered the second perimeter or it's a resident moving about the exclusion zone. Either way, you get detained first and questioned later. Polite checkpoints are only for the first perimeter.

E-phonk

Banned
Hah, indeed - that's very US-TV like. Most serious newschannels wouldn't show something that way here (belgium)

MedIC86

Why did they order the assault ? :/

This is a bloodbath, 2 injured cops, 4 hostages dead and 4 injured (France24).

Nothing is confirmed as of yet, but it seemed that the brothers started firing, and when they knew the two hostage situations were connected, or at least they had contact. They had to move up the timetable to assault.

People were dead before the assault. ( Confirmed by the french media Itele ) so they probably couldn't wait anymore since they had to sync their attacks.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
So they're reporting now that the two brothers didn't even know about that guy who was with them in the building. That it actually wasn't a hostage situation at all. This combined with the reports that the brothers started the shooting makes the police look pretty bad I think.

Because the brothers got out and started to shot at the GIGN, which forced the RAID/BRI to act fast to safe the civilians if Coulibaly heard about that but he already killed all the hostages that are currently dead. They acted in the best way possible given the circumstances.

So they're reporting now that the two brothers didn't even know about that guy who was with them in the building. That it actually wasn't a hostage situation at all. This combined with the reports that the brothers started the shooting makes the police look pretty bad I think.

They knew about it, he communicated with them the whole time.

Alx

Our President doesn't get much respect nowadays. I have to admit that i won't be listening to what he's saying. I really don't care. People don't feel represented by him. Everyone despises him and we never felt that he was our President.

That's what you get for voting for someone because you don't like the other guy. :/

And why do you think this ?

MedIC86

Its probarly just a freak coincidence but in the last 20 minutes i got more then 10 pop-ups "friend X is playing Counter-strike: Global Offensive"

Scum like this deserve death, good riddance. Well done to the French Police.

For absolute justice, yes. But capturing them alive would have yielded information to how they got involved and especially intel on Al Quaida networks that we're obviously not keeping tabs on (to avoid future incidents like these).

So they're reporting now that the two brothers didn't even know about that guy who was with them in the building. That it actually wasn't a hostage situation at all.
Confirmed. He was hiding under cardboard and was feeding information to the security forces.

Flo_Evans

How does this make the police look bad. They killed 12 people and are attacking the police. What do you want them to do?

Arjen

Apparantly the 2 brothers came out of the building forcing the police to act, leading to escalation at the other hostage. According to a Dutch pundit who was former head of the Dutch special forces.

MilkyJoe

Don't be a bell end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom