• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlie Hebdo attacks - Hostage situations ended, 4 hostages reportedly killed

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemmykoopa

When the door of the shop has fully opened after a few secs you can hear the swat team shouting 'allez les gas on y vas' , roughly translated to 'cmon guys lets do this, go go go'. If a camera positioned 50 meters away from the incidient can capture this, then surely the terrorist heard this as well.

Hmm, I just thought a raid like this would be more 'subtle'

What would that achieve? The largest state sponsor and funder of terrorism is Saudi Arabia. The US conveniently overlooks this fact. It's also the most repressive of the Muslim majority nations. Also, moderate Muslim countries are Turkey, Indonesia etc. What would they achieve being mired in this stuff when they probably have enough trouble keeping the hardliners and fundamentalists in their own countries down. This is something that will not go away. People like to say it's because of the West etc. Places like India, China, Russia, and a ton of non-middle eastern countries all deal with their own Islamic extremism as well.
The Arabic Spring unveiled a string of thought that was hidden between some Islamic scholars, this dangerous string became visible when certain religious political parties came to power. This string was connected between Islamic political parties, some religious scholars and terrorism. Whenever those parties fail terrorism increases. Saudi isn't perfect but they started taking some right steps, going after some of those scholars that sent a lot of Saudis to ISIS before its creation, declaring some schools of thoughts and religious political parties as banned since they are linked to terrorism and evident by facts during the Arabic spring. They joined the coalition to fight ISIS.
Since you brought Turkey into the picture, the Turkish government behaviors is a bit shady, for one they didn't help in the coalition despite being threatened, two most of who joined ISIS from Saudi traveled to Turkey, Third their hesitance in helping the Kurds despite reaching a peaceful agreement and fourth which is the weakest point that noted by some Turkish citizens that claim they saw some of ISIS members moving freely in the Boarders. The Turkish government was a supporter of some of those Islamic political parties that Saudi declared as terrorist.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
That's because as much even though the media portray all terrorists as some kind of animal by trying to dehumanize them, at the end of the day these guys were just ordinary people who either had nothing, had everything taken away from them and used that as a basis for hate or became radiicalised.

It's a harsh reality, but dehumanising them just removes the need to ask why they did this in the first place. Yes they were following an extremist version of Islam, but something drove them in the first place to do this. Humanity has done some terrible, awful things to people and we seem happy a lot of the time to remember what happened, but ignore the root cause of the problem in the first place.

Rather than spending years attacking terrorist organisations, which does nothing but strengthen their causse we should take a closer look at improving peoples lives worldwide to weaken their ability to recruit people.
Yep, this incident is a direct result of the Iraq war and the actions of Bush, Blair, etc and their respective governments.

The Kouachi brothers became radicalised when an organisation was set up to send fighters over to fight against the US/UK in Iraq in their local area.

Hjod

Banned
Wow so he came right to the door?

Yeah, he probably panicked, fight or flight is so freaking powerful, he tried to run away. Maybe he was out of bullets or something, blinded by a flash-bang and just ran, I don't know.

That supermarket, wow, that's place looks like a nightmare to assault, only two entrances, and as soon as those doors starts to go up the terrorist knows they are coming, as someone said before thankfully the hostages were in the other side of the shop.

Yep, this incident is a direct result of the Iraq war and the actions of Bush, Blair, etc and their respective governments.

The Kouachi brothers became radicalised when an organisation was set up to send fighters over to fight against the US/UK in Iraq in their local area.

The Iraq war is just one of many the many perceived attacks from the west to the east. This goes far before that.

Was it confirmed that Amedy killed those 4 hostages?

They didn't make it to hostages.

Alx

Man that is one huge swarm of cops.

Honestly I wonder why they need that many. There's probably a reason, but I would have thought such a high number would be more of an inconvenience.
Maybe the idea is to have them make a wall to protect the hostages, which is basically what happened.

When the door of the shop has fully opened after a few secs you can hear the swat team shouting 'allez les gas on y vas' , roughly translated to 'cmon guys lets do this, go go go'. If a camera positioned 50 meters away from the incidient can capture this, then surely the terrorist heard this as well.

Hmm, I just thought a raid like this would be more 'subtle'

I don't think they have reasons to be stealthy in such operations. It's more about "shock & awe", to surprise and stun the target (hence the flashbangs etc).

Quite unprofessional to let the woman bad guy escape hiding amongst the hostages, in the USA don't they corral them, ID them and keep them in custody for a few hours at least.

Jumplion

I'm not sure if you're serious and how off-topic you are. France is famous for its health care.

I come from the good ole USA, so hell if I know what good health care looks like or what others have. Good to know they'll be treated properly.

Just after the flashbang explodes right at the door, they shoot the terrorist who already reached the door. In the other video that was shown first, you can see that the cops are carrying away a wounded colleague just after that flashbang exploded. Was he hit by friendly fire in that situation maybe?

it's so weird, not far from sounding like this
"Yeah, you know.. we're like al qaida.. and... like, we avenged the prophet and stuff"

I wonder if, at that point in time, part of him might have realized that what he accomplished is really just fucking stupid and pointless.

I have seen reports that the brothers stormed out of the building firing, not surprising they stormed the supermarket so soon after considering the supermarket terrorist said the hostages would be killed if they stormed the other location.

Just after the flashbang explodes right at the door, they shoot the terrorist who already reached the door. In the other video that was shown first, you can see that the cops are carrying away a wounded colleague just after that flashbang exploded. Was he hit by friendly fire in that situation maybe?

Yeah, I am looking forward to a play-by-play of how the op went down. From the vid, it looks insanely chaotic and, well...unorganized? That one guy crossing in front of the others had me hold my breath for a split second. I wonder what the plan was?

Not trying to make light of it, but it really did look like a bottleneck in an online shooter--not at all what I was expecting.

kmax

Watching French TV right now.

The Kouachi brothers literally got massacred by bullets. No visual footage, but the audio speaks for itself. Sounded like multiple machine guns firing simultaneously for a good 30 seconds.

Kurita

My gf's cousin was one of the hostages (works at the store), thank god she managed to hide. Not hurt or anything so that's a relief.
Needless to say today was pretty stressful...

Yeah, I am looking forward to a play-by-play of how the op went down. From the vid, it looks insanely chaotic and, well...unorganized? That one guy crossing in front of the others had me hold my breath for a split second. I wonder what the plan was?

Not trying to make light of it, but it really did look like a bottleneck in an online shooter--not at all what I was expecting.
It looked like they were shooting right over his head... not sure they knew he was going to run in like that.

Sayter

Looks like they shot up someone trying to run out at :31. I hope that wasn't a hostage or maybe I'm not seeing things right.

What an utter clusterfuck. When the terrorist ran up to the door the police were virtually shooting him from both sides. Someone on either side could've been hit. Glad they weren't.

lefantome

Well, freedom of speech goes both ways I suppose. :/

Yes it does and it may be helpful.

These people exposed themselves, people can talk reason to them, they can be monitored.
Unfortunately it also shows that fundamentalism seems to be widespread.

Addi

Here's another angle

You don't see as much, but more of the context. 0:36 is when the terrorist storms out of the door, they continue shooting him a bit when he is on the ground. At 0:45 you see one cop dragging the wounded behind the black car and waving for help.

VNavoYJ.jpg

How come it never ends.

CAIRO (AP) — A member of al-Qaida's branch in Yemen says the group directed the attack against the French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo in Paris "as revenge for the honor" of Islam's Prophet Muhammad.

The member on Friday provided to The Associated Press a statement in English saying "the leadership of AQAP directed the operations and they have chosen their target carefully."

'Reports say an armed man is holding two hostages at a jewellery store in Montpellier, southern France, but there is no indication it is linked to the hostage situations in Paris.' Bbc live update

So is there now a third hostage situation in Montpellier?

I browse on Chinese photogrtaphy forum sometimes the general consensus is "now the Frenchy know what the Islamic Fundies are made of and they should be less hypocritical and so quick to criticize on Beijing's action whenever a ethnic clash come up in Xinjiang."

I can't argue with that sentiment but I disagree in the sense that it's not the right time to criticize french press's past "double standards".

'Reports say an armed man is holding two hostages at a jewellery store in Montpellier, southern France, but there is no indication it is linked to the hostage situations in Paris.' Bbc live update

Pretty lame no one is even covering it because his motives aren't terrorism.

G.O.O.

Unrelated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom