• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlie Hebdo attacks - Hostage situations ended, 4 hostages reportedly killed

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemmykoopa

Two things looked really irresponsible. The first guy going in runs in front of his colleagues shooting. He was extremely lucky not to gethit in the back.

Secondly. Who was the guy running out of the shop? The footage gets cut but it seems it is the same or another police officer. If that is so, his buddies shot him up quite bad. I wonder if that os the reason it got cut.

The guy running out of the shop towards to the cops is the terrorist.

Chittagong

Gold Member
That supermarket scene looks mad. How is the entire swat force packed around the door like that? It literally would have taken the attacker a single hand grenade rolled under the door to take out all the surrounding cops. And what's with that the cop running in alone, did the others decide 'nope' at the last second? Incredible how they really risked their lives for the hostages.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
SnfWRtD.jpg

"I am also a Charlie"

This is the strongest dedication to Charlie that I've seen over the last few days that has resonated with me the most. Asterix forever.

Khaz

So, your take on these three days is that it was solely an anti-semetic attack? It was more than that and I feel Hollande failed to express that.

You're putting words in people's mouths. No one said it was only / solely / purely anti-semitic. But yes, hatred of the jews played a big part in today's hostage situation at Porte de Vincennes.

To cut discussions short, I don't disagree with the fact the attack on the supermarket was born out of anti-semitism. I just find Hollande's speech a failed attempt to mobilize the entire sane population of France. It would have been a stronger speech if it called for all to unite because all were affected, especially because the event is heightening tensions between Muslims on one side and the rest of the population including jews on the other side.

Some people consider critisicsm of Hollande's speeches to be anti-semetic apparantly.

I'm gonna stop after that because I'm sensing you're not discussing in good faith.

Hollande pronounced the word "antisemitism" once during his speech, referring to today's events in Vincennes specifically. Along with "racism". Once.

He then went on to distinguish these acts of the terrorists from islam wich is sound and much needed.

I love how Hollande mentions several different concepts in his speech including Islamism, racism, antisemitism, etc., yet Joni focuses exclusively on antisemitism because apparently that's a forbidden word.

Why is the terrorist just running towards the gunfire?

suicide by cop
Huh guys...

This was on TV here in Montréal earlier... That's the biggest news station of the province btw.

They were showing a "Reproduction of the scene that happened earlier today in Paris"

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152940083984463

it is sad when PKP's news channel is refereed to as the biggest news station in Quebec. But that's changing the subject

Lubricus

Now Al Qaeda in Yemen has the French intelligence going after them even harder.
It's so sad for the hostages and victims.
Senseless violence.

Megasoum

Banned
I'm watching the front facing video again and I can't stop feeling that this was not a very efficient way to deal with the matter. Ended up working fine but having 30 dudes bunched up trying to go in a small door instead of having the standard 2 squad lines coming from both sides.

MNDan

Neo Member
That was a crazy number of cops stacked up around that store. Kinda dumb if you ask me - one bomb away from taking out the whole force...

jacobeid

Banned
I'm sorry I critized president Hollande and that it upset you.

That's not what upset me, nor did I ever say that you, or anyone, is wrong for criticizing President Hollande. Your inability to put two-and-two together as to why jihadists with ties to Al-Qaeda would choose a Kosher market out of any is what upset me.

I'm watching the front facing video again and I can't stop feeling that this was not a very efficient way to deal with the matter. Ended up working fine but having 30 dudes bunched up trying to go in a small door instead of having the standard 2 squad lines coming from both sides.

Maybe you feel that but i know theses guys (RAID or GIGN) are trained like beasts to operate under theses conditions and they are very well organized and synchronized, trust me on this.

Check out what the GIGN did for example in the hostage situation from the air france 8969 flight in Marseille.

Joni

That's not what upset me. Your inability to put two-and-two together as to why jihadists with ties to Al-Qaeda would choose a Kosher market out of any is what upset me.
And as I'll clearly state, yes, that was anti-semitism. If you feel I meant to imply otherwise, that wasn't my intention. Certainly as I know how the tensions are between the Muslim and Jewish population. And considering they did raise the terror level from 2 to 3 for Jewish institutions.

Ensirius

That was a crazy number of cops stacked up around that store. Kinda dumb if you ask me - one bomb away from taking out the whole force...
Please let's all remember the security forces had a direct line with one of the people who was inside the supermarket,the owner none other. He was informing them for hours. They also hacked into the cameras and phones and probably knew exactly what the threat was.
Let's not act like French elite forces are amateurs.

Raist

Banned

That supermarket scene looks mad. How is the entire swat force packed around the door like that? It literally would have taken the attacker a single hand grenade rolled under the door to take out all the surrounding cops. And what's with that the cop running in alone, did the others decide 'nope' at the last second? Incredible how they really risked their lives for the hostages.

I'm gonna guess an elite police force know exactly what they're doing.

Megasoum

Banned
Is it tho' ?

They are the equivalent of FOX or Sun news... they arent even part of the Canadian Association of Journalists...

Again, not talking about quality, just market share.

Anyway my point is that it's a fucking huge tv stations (like it or not).

jacobeid

Banned
And as I'll clearly state, yes, that was anti-semitism. If you feel I meant to imply otherwise, that wasn't the intention. Certainly as I know how the tensions are between the Muslim and Jewish population. And considering they did raise the terror level from 2 to 3 for Jewish institutions.

Your posts did read as if you were implying otherwise.

You are certainly free to criticize Hollande for his speech if you believe that it focused too heavily on that issue, but just to clarify, I (nor does the Jewish population at large) believe that the attacks over the last few days have been fueled solely by anti-semitic rhetoric. Purporting that thought would be an extremely simplistic look at the situation, especially given how it all started. However, the hostage situation in the cafe however can unabashedly be linked to anti-semitism.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Maybe you feel that but i know theses guys (RAID or GIGN) are trained like beasts to operate under theses conditions and they are very well organized and synchronized, trust me on this.

Check out what the GIGN did for example in the hostage situation from the air france 8969 flight in Marseille.

full fledged understand but that did not look tactically organised especially the front man/woman who rushes in and gets in front of the cross fire

Please let's all remember the security forces had a direct line with one of the people who was inside the supermarket,the owner none other. He was informing them for hours. They also hacked into the cameras and phones and probably knew exactly what the threat was.
Let's not act like French elite forces are amateurs.

But ive played Rainbow Six

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
As expected, Paris prosecutor said the 4 hostage were already dead when the assault took place. They said they most likely got killed when the terrorist attacked the shop

Mael

After this I won't comment on whether or not we have a problem with Islam or anything because that's really not the point.
What is clear however is that in France there is grave deep problem with the prison system that foster the kind of behavior that appalled most people on the planet these last few days.
The Republic has failed its children if it put simple criminals in prisons and they leave as full wannabe terrorists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom