• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlie Hebdo attacks - Hostage situations ended, 4 hostages reportedly killed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Too bad that they had to kill the terrorists. That's what these maniacs probably preferred - if they can't escape, to go out like "heroic martyrs" who are celebrated by other maniacs. It would have been much more appropriate to give them a proper trial, let them rot in a cell, and hope that there is some humanity left in them that would have let them regret their insanity one day.

At least they can't harm anyone anymore.

McBryBry

Ok, I'm at work and just now seeing this...

What the hell is going on? The only thing I knew about was the attack at a newspaper the other day that killed I think 4. Things seem to have escalated....Can someone summarize quick?

Joni

Jihadists returning from these areas absolutely need to be rounded up and thrown in jail. We (well, the secret service people and such) know rather well who they are, but unfortunately most (all?) EU countries don't have the laws in place to support doing that. It's simply not illegal to go fight in these areas. That shit needs to be put into place ASAP. I don't want these future terrorists walking my streets, planning out the next great slaughter of innocents. Because there WILL be more. It's pretty much inevitable.
Even if you have laws, it is difficult. Just look at the Belgian process against Shariah4Belgium. You need proof to actually throw them in jail.

The attack wasn't anti-semitic, Hollande, christ. It was anti-civilization, anti-freedom, anti-humanity. Get it right.
A fuck-up by Hollande, who could have predicted. Thank god Sarko is coming back.

Addi

SnfWRtD.jpg

"I am also a Charlie"

entremet

Even if you have laws, it is difficult. Just look at the Belgian process against Shariah4Belgium. You need proof to actually throw them in jail.

A fuck-up by Hollande, who could have predicted. Thank god Sarko is coming back.

Sarko is running again?

azyless

Watching French TV right now.

The Kouachi brothers literally got massacred by bullets. No visual footage, but the audio speaks for itself. Sounded like multiple machine guns firing simultaneously for a good 30 seconds.

I don't know how accurate that is but I was watching live on TV and an ex member of GIGN was on set, explaining that it was most certainly the brothers firing, as elite forces were trained not to use burst fire in those situations.

Magni

Ok, I'm at work and just now seeing this...

What the hell is going on? The only thing I knew about was the attack at a newspaper the other day that killed I think 4. Things seem to have escalated....Can someone summarize quick?

Wednesday's attack by two brothers killed 12. Thursday's attack by a third terrorist killed one. Today, there were two simultaneous standoffs which ended with all three terrorists dead. The third terrorist had hostages with him, and had apparently killed 4 of them before the police stormed the shop where he was holed up.

Police are searching for his wife.

edit: There was also a third standoff in Montpellier (southern France), unrelated to the Parisian attacks. A jewelry robbery gone wrong by an idiot who had watched too much Die Hard.

Watching French TV right now.

The Kouachi brothers literally got massacred by bullets. No visual footage, but the audio speaks for itself. Sounded like multiple machine guns firing simultaneously for a good 30 seconds.

Well they went out guns nz blazing , so the special forces left nothing to chance. Any force around the world would had the same answer to this specific situation.

Raist

Banned
Not sure if it's been done yet, but quick translation of the main points of the terrorists from the "interviews" with bfmtv:

The two who attacked Charlie Hebdo claim to be part of Al Qaeda, described their motivations as wanting to avenge the prophet. They said they didn't kill civilians, because cops and the cartoonists were "targets". They didn't attack women and kids, only the west does that in M-E.

The one who barricaded himself in the grocery shop claims to be part of ISIS his motivation was to avenge opressed muslims, particularly in Palestine. He said he knew the other two and "synchronized" their attacks, they were targeting the journal, he was targeting cops. They didn't plan anything else than this and there wasn't "anything more to come". They weren't in contact anymore once it started. He picked that grocery store purposefully because he wanted to target jews. 4 people were already dead when he spoke to the journalists.

pulsemyne

I just woke up. Anyone mind giving me a quick rundown of the past ~6 hours?
Pure, unadulterated madness.
Brothers chased by Police. They take hostage inside a printers. Meanwhile Another moron kills four people and takes hostages in a Kosher supermarket. He says he wants the brothers released.
After some hours the brothers run out of printers and starting firing at police. Police kill them.
At the same time the police storm the supermarket and kill the moron and save the hostages.

McBryBry

Wednesday's attack by two brothers killed 12. Thursday's attack by a third terrorist killed one. Today, there were two simultaneous standoffs which ended with all three terrorists dead. The third terrorist had hostages with him, and had apparently killed 4 of them before the police stormed the shop where he was holed up.

Police are searching for his wife.

edit: There was also a third standoff in Montpellier (southern France), unrelated to the Parisian attacks. A jewelry robbery gone wrong by an idiot who had watched too much Die Hard.

Jesus.... thank you sir. I guess is everything settling down some now?

pulsemyne

It actually was antisemitic, in the interview with BFMTV the guy said he went to this supermarket specifically because it was jewish.
Exactly. He didn't just wonder into a store and go "Yeah this one will do! Any jews about the place?" It was a planned target. This does seem like it was influenced my the mumbai attacks.

Joni

It actually was antisemitic, in the interview with BFMTV the guy said he went to this supermarket specifically because it was jewish.
Yes, that part was antisemitic. Hollande however makes it seem like the entire attack was born from antisemitism.

Vire

So you are telling me that a radical Islamic terrorist just so happened to pick a Kosher grocery for no reason at all?

Joni

So you are telling me that a radical Islamic terrorist just so happened to pick a Kosher grocery for no reason at all?
Was the anti-semitic part of the attack on Charlie Hebdo, the attack on the police officers and the two hostage situations really the right point to center on? You're telling me anti-semitism is what caused this entire thing? There was no need to call focus on that part, it was an attack on our entire civilization.

Vire

Was the anti-semitic part of the attack on Charlie Hebdo, the attack on the police officers and the two hostage situations really the right point to center on? You're telling me anti-semitism is what caused this entire thing? There was no need to call focus on that part, it was an attack on our entire civilization.

Correct me if I am wrong since I am referring to the translation, but the president was referring to the market attacks that happened today as Anti-Semitic.

No no, you see, if they don't have any official documents actually proving in writing that they belong to some organization whose sole aim is expressly to gather self-proclaimed antisemites, then you absolutely cannot under no circumstance say it was an antisemitic attack although the terrorist went in specifically to kill Jews, said so and did so.

Some posters here are aware of this fact and will be happy to tell you so repeatedly with utmost sincerity and complete disregard for reality.

The two who attacked Charlie Hebdo claim to be part of Al Qaeda, described their motivations as wanting to avenge the prophet. They said they didn't kill civilians, because cops and the cartoonists were "targets". They didn't attack women and kids, only the west does that in M-E.

So female cartoonists are invincible? interesting.

pulsemyne

I think the one part people are missing is just how the hell did they get their hands on multiple AK47's? Or even a grenade laucher? There is clearly a network who supplied such weapons and that must be worrying the security officials.

G.O.O.

It mattered in the context. He was calling for unity, and repeated several times that the country - not only the jews - was under attack.

Man

I think the one part people are missing is just how the hell did they get their hands on multiple AK47's? Or even a grenade laucher? There is clearly a network who supplied such weapons and that must be worrying the security officials.
Drug gangs in Marseille has been witnessed with Rocket launchers.

pulsemyne

Not sure if it's been done yet, but quick translation of the main points of the terrorists from the "interviews" with bfmtv:

I love that line of reasoning as its so utterly mental it's beyond belief.
"We don't attack women and children only the west does!"
Funny that seeing as how AQ killed lots of women and children on 9/11 and 7/7 and so on and so on. Also a cartoonist is not a member of any military organisation. They are not oppressing you in any way shape or form.
All this just shows how truly warped these people are.

I don't think it's that hard to get an AK-47 in Europe or in the Parisian suburbs - or in Marseille. It's just a question of money. If I remember correctly, they usually get smuggled from Eastern Europe/the Balkans.

Vire

They already know how actually, in the phone interview with the terrorists they claimed they received financial backing from Al Queda forces in Yemen.

Jag

He was talking about the attack today on the kosher supermarket. The attack on Charlie Hebdo was an attack on freedom of speech. The attack at the kosher store was anti-semitic because they picked a place frequented by Jewish people. The entire thing is a tragedy.

Joni

Inheritance of the Cold War and the fall of the Soviet-Union.

No no, you see, if they don't have any official documents actually proving in writing that they belong to some organization whose sole aim is expressly to gather self-proclaimed antisemites, then you absolutely cannot under no circumstance say it was an antisemitic attack although the terrorist went in specifically to kill Jews, said so and did so.
So, your take on these three days is that it was solely an anti-semetic attack? It was more than that and I feel Hollande failed to express that.

Correct me if I am wrong since I am referring to the translation, but the president was referring to the market attacks that happened today as Anti-Semitic.
I still find it strange to call out that part of the attack.

It mattered in the context. He was calling for unity, and repeated several times that the country - not only the jews - was under attack.
Which is why it is strange to specifically call that part out. We are all under attack. I don't the Jews of France were thinking it didn't affect them unless he called it out. I think it is a failed speech on the part of Hollande.

jacobeid

Banned
The attack wasn't anti-semitic, Hollande, christ. It was anti-civilization, anti-freedom, anti-humanity. Get it right.

I'll just leave this here for those who think that the targeting of a Kosher grocery *wasn't* a planned anti-semitic attack. Look at France.

http://www.adl.org/anti-semitism/international/c/global-antisemitism-2014.html#.VLBJB2TF8VE

Yes, that part was antisemitic. Hollande however makes it seem like the entire attack was born from antisemitism.

Not even close.

Absolutely. I would argue that it's impossbile to understand it any other way but I would be proven wrong, wouldn't I.

No djihadist attack would be really complete without killing some Jews. Hollande acknowledges that without in any way forgetting or minimizing the rest of the picture (killing freedom of expression, killing cops, killing our democracy and our way of life).

G.O.O.

Which is why it is strange to specifically call that part out. We are all under attack. I don't the Jews of France were thinking it didn't affect them unless he called it out. I think it is a failed speech on the part of Hollande.
People still remember the Merah case.

heyf00L

They said they didn't kill women but still killed one. Go figure.

No, they said they didn't kill civilian women and children. The police and journalists were considered targets or combatants, male or female, and fair game.

It's all related. The primary motivation for the Charlie attack was the cartoons. However, one of the overarching motivations for terrorism in the West is the West's support for Israel. The hatred of Israel naturally leads to generic antisemitism. So when the other guy decided to take hostages to "help out", he could have gone anywhere, but he went to a Jewish grocery because might as well.

Raist

Banned
Two articles from Le Monde (in French, sorry) about Coulibaly and the Kouachi brothers:

http://www.lemonde.fr/societe/artic...ectaire_4552778_3224.html?xtmc=sarkozy&xtcr=1

http://www.lemonde.fr/societe/artic...lisation-des-freres-kouachi_4552422_3224.html

They've known each other for quite a while, had the same mentor, Djamel Beghal, who was in prison for 10 years for planning an attack against the US embassy in Paris. There's a few pictures in the first article showing Coulibaly and his wife "playing" with a crossbow at that guy's place.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I don't understand one thing in all this.

Earlier the salesman (Didier I think was his name) told the story of him meeting one of the terrorist who was together with the owner of the printshop and the owner was supposed to be the hostage of the terrorists. Now there is the story that there was someone inside and the terrorist weren't aware of him. Was this the owner or some other person? What happened to the owner? Did the terrorists let him go away?

Dingotech

I'm glad this all resolved whilst I was asleep.

I'm not happy they couldn't take any of them alive but I guess I knew that probably wasn't going to happen.

RIP all the victims.

Joni

To cut discussions short, I don't disagree with the fact the attack on the supermarket was born out of anti-semitism. I just find Hollande's speech a failed attempt to mobilize the entire sane population of France. It would have been a stronger speech if it called for all to unite because all were affected, especially because the event is heightening tensions between Muslims on one side and the rest of the population including jews on the other side.

Are we really having this 'antisemitic or not antisemitic' debate?
Some people consider critisicsm of Hollande's speeches to be anti-semetic apparantly.

Here's the video from the front Warning: one body laying on the ground but nothing graphic

The guy running towards them when they freeze frame is the terrorist, they cut before he is shot down

Two things looked really irresponsible. The first guy going in runs in front of his colleagues shooting. He was extremely lucky not to gethit in the back.

Secondly. Who was the guy running out of the shop? The footage gets cut but it seems it is the same or another police officer. If that is so, his buddies shot him up quite bad. I wonder if that os the reason it got cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom