• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlie Hebdo attacks - Hostage situations ended, 4 hostages reportedly killed

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkTom

So they really had A RPG, crazy.
The 4 dead hostages have been killed when the terrorist entered the supermarket, no hostage have been killed during the assault. We french people are lucky to have so good special forces.

Joni

Your posts did read as if you were implying otherwise.
My fault, poor communication. Which is kinda ironic because I'm accusing Hollande of the same.
The point I'm badly trying to make is I would have preferred him spending more time on trying to ignite the 'fire' that might ignite. The racial tensions between whites and arabics, between arabics and jews are the biggest risk right now. We already saw the first embers on that first night. It is why I feel politicians should spend more time on bringing everybody together, especially the French president at this point.

Mael

My fault, poor communication. Which is kinda ironic because I'm accusing Hollande of the same.
The point I'm badly trying to make is I would have preferred him spending more time on trying to ignite the 'fire' that might ignite. The racial tensions between whites and arabics, between arabics and jews are the biggest risk right now. We already saw the first embers on that first night. It is why I feel politicians should spend more time on bringing everybody together, especially the French president at this point.

It couldn't have been a more antisemitic attack unless the terrorist targeted a freaking synagogue.
At some point they need to call it what it is.

Renzoku

Banned
Sorry just got back to my computer, what the hell:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/09/montpelier-hostages_n_6444676.html

PARIS (AP) — A police officer says two hostages are being held by a gunman in a jewelry store in the southern French city of Montpellier.

The officer, who could not be named speaking about an ongoing situation, said the attacker has locked himself inside the downtown shop, with police ready to intervene outside.

He said it is unclear whether the hostage-taking is related to the massacre Wednesday in Paris at the satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo that left 12 people dead.

Betty

Banned
And all this the result of just 3 people's actions... man, I know that these radicals are in the minority when it comes to Islam as a whole, but boy can they sure cause a whole lot of death and chaos.

I'm glad this nightmare is over though, and hope the next one doesn't happen for a good while.

And all this the result of just 3 people's actions... man, I know that these radicals are in the minority when it comes to Islam as a whole, but boy can they sure cause a whole lot of death and chaos.

Sadly it's not just 3. Those 3 were recruited and trained by other Islamists in Paris/Paris suburbs, and at least one of them went to Yemen to get even more training from Yemeni Islamists.

Two things looked really irresponsible. The first guy going in runs in front of his colleagues shooting. He was extremely lucky not to gethit in the back.

Secondly. Who was the guy running out of the shop? The footage gets cut but it seems it is the same or another police officer. If that is so, his buddies shot him up quite bad. I wonder if that os the reason it got cut.

They hacked the shop security cam, also they had contact with one of the hostage via text messages.

Anyhow, with these guys track record (Human Bomb, Roubaix Gang, Mohamed Merah and many more), I'm sure they knew exactly what they were doing.

Not saying the video doesn't looks confusing though. I imagine your heart is pumping like mad in this situation.

Afrikan

Just remind the robber about what happened in Paris and offer him the chance to come out alive .

you have to wonder, if this particular individual, is one who stays away from news and social media... and had no idea that Police and the Nation was on high alert because of missing armed suspects...

and maybe.....juuuuuust maybe, today might not be the best idea to follow through on something he's planned oh so hard, for oh so long.

maybe postpone it a month...and eh, till then he might have actually had an epiphany that it wasn't a good idea in the first place.

but nope!

Betty

Banned
Sadly it's not just 3. Those 3 were recruited and trained by other Islamists in Paris/Paris suburbs, and at least one of them went to Yemen to get even more training from Yemeni Islamists.

Oh sure, but I mean this particular crisis and those involved directly are now dealt with, which is good.

warthog

you have to wonder, if this particular individual, is one who stays away from news and social media... and had no idea that Police and the Nation was on high alert because of missing armed suspects...

and maybe.....juuuuuust maybe, today might not be the best idea to follow through on something he's planned oh so hard, for oh so long.

maybe postpone it a month...and eh, till then he might have actually had an epiphany that it wasn't a good idea in the first place.

but nope!

Maybe he expected police to have other things on their hands because of all that was going on.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer

but nope!

Or he just thought that everyone is so occupied with that terrorist attack that they won't notice him.

Afrikan

Maybe he expected police to have other things on their hands because of all that was going on.

Or he just thought that everyone is so occupied with that terrorist attack that they won't notice him.

Police are on high alert.. one of their own was gun down....

the idea that just because they are looking for someone else... "i'll have a better chance at getting away at something" is idiotic, even most idiots would know better.

you'll have a better chance of being killed, than the original worse case scenario of just being caught.

Afrikan

With these other news sources seeming all over the place, I went to see what AlJazeera English was showing online.

but AlJazeera.com is offline! crazy, I wonder what the reason is for.

Police are on high alert.. one of their own was gun down....

the idea that just because they are looking for someone else... "i'll have a better chance at getting away at something" is idiotic, even most idiots would know better.

you'll have a better chance of being killed, than the original worse case scenario of just being caught.

Yup. Moreover, the GIGN forces that were dispatched to Montpellier to deal with this are from Marseille, not even the Parisian region.

Magni

Did we learn how the brothers were spotted in the first place?

After this I won't comment on whether or not we have a problem with Islam or anything because that's really not the point.
What is clear however is that in France there is grave deep problem with the prison system that foster the kind of behavior that appalled most people on the planet these last few days.
The Republic has failed its children if it put simple criminals in prisons and they leave as full wannabe terrorists.

We need prison reform badly, that is for sure.

They actually shot a video of the Charlie Hebdo staff working on the Mohammad caricatures back in 2006. The last words :(
https://vimeo.com/116362234

So sad :( This needs to be seen by everyone. They weren't insulting Mohammed, they were insulting fundamentalists. No one can object to that.

I'm watching the front facing video again and I can't stop feeling that this was not a very efficient way to deal with the matter. Ended up working fine but having 30 dudes bunched up trying to go in a small door instead of having the standard 2 squad lines coming from both sides.

a) they're pros
b) they did go in from two sides

I'm sure he's not that casual about it lol. I doubt he'll be getting much sleep tonight.

Apparently he wasn't hiding in a box or cupboard, but an under-sink cabinet. Must have felt cramped in there, lol

Love this cartoon though:

B67MSa5CUAAhGHK.jpg:large

"A shame we don't have a hostage..."
"(SMS) They're in the toilets / They're taking a nap / They're dumb / LOL they haven't seen me / Come save me"

Koren

Don't know whether it has been posted yet, but...

This was the last drawing of Charb, the head of Charlie Hebdo, the one that was targeted by the terrorists wednesday (they killed as many people as they could, but specifically wanted to kill him).

Draw tuesday, if I'm not mistaken. It's on the verge of being scary.

ob_0c64c4_b6v6mvqiiaihch2.jpg

"Still no terrorist attack in France"

"Wait! We have till the end of january to extend our best wishes!"

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
After seeing the video without the freeze part, the guy running actually hits the door on his way out, and falls, all while he's getting gunned down.

lemmykoopa

I'm sure he's not that casual about it lol. I doubt he'll be getting much sleep tonight.

Don't know whether it has been posted yet, but...

This was the last drawing of Charb, the head of Charlie Hebdo, the one that was targeted by the terrorists wednesday (they killed as many people as they could, but specifically wanted to kill him).

Draw tuesday, if I'm not mistaken. It's on the verge of being scary.

ob_0c64c4_b6v6mvqiiaihch2.jpg

"Still no terrorist attack in France"

"Wait! We have till the end of january to extend our best wishes!"

What does everyone else think about this cartoon?

I find it so provocative and dangerous. I very well could see a few nutjobs thinking "heh, wait we'll show you some attacks soon" upon seeing this one. I just don't see what a cartoon like that one brings on the table, why it is needed.

I find it so provocative and dangerous. I very well could see a few nutjobs thinking "heh, wait we'll show you some attacks soon" upon seeing this one. I just don't see what a cartoon like that one brings on the table, why it is needed.

I think the timing of this cartoon makes all the fun of it - in the most sinister way.

It's needed because if we start asking ourselves "will this offend X or Y?" then we can kiss freedom of speech goodbye. It's like saying "she shouldn't have worn such a short skirt".

You are not responsible for how other people react to what you say. If other people feel offended they chose to be offended and it's their problem.

Jumplion

I think the timing of this cartoon makes all the fun of it - in the most sinister way.

It's needed because if we start asking ourselves "will this offend X or Y?" then we can kiss freedom of speech goodbye. It's like saying "she shouldn't have worn such a short skirt"

You are not responsible for how other people react to what you say. If other people feel offended they chose to be offended and it's their problem.

I'm unsure if the best analogy is that of victim blaming a rape victim, but I am also unsure what would be a better one. Though I do think you're kind of ironically putting the blame on those who would take offense. I mean, would anyone really fault a Jew for taking offense to a cartoon portraying him as greedy and big nosed? Expression of potentially offensive content has a finer line than I think people give credit. (NOT excusing acts of violence. We can have nuanced thoughts on this discussion without approving of the horrific shit that went down)

I'm half and half on that whole issue myself. I think we need to understand that we can ask "will this offend X or Y?" and criticize provacative (purposfully or not) expressions and still allow for the freedom of speech. These aren't mutually exclusive beliefs here.

Afrikan

After seeing the video without the freeze part, the guy running actually hits the door on his way out, and falls, all while he's getting gunned down.

well from another video angle..it seemed like even after he made it outside, they were still shooting him when he was on the ground..

I don't know man, that whole situation looked dangerous for the police.....and their decision making had alot to do with it. So hopefully they learn from it.

It's offensive, it makes me want to behead people. Serves them well.

Jisgsaw

I'm unsure if the best analogy is that of victim blaming a rape victim, but I am also unsure what would be a better one. Though I do think you're kind of ironically putting the blame on those who would take offense. I mean, would anyone really fault a Jew for taking offense to a cartoon portraying him as greedy and big nosed? Expression of potentially offensive content has a finer line than I think people give credit. (NOT excusing acts of violence. We can have nuanced thoughts on this discussion without approving of the horrific shit that went down)

I'm half and half on that whole issue myself. I think we need to understand that we can ask "will this offend X or Y?" and criticize provacative (purposfully or not) expressions and still allow for the freedom of speech. These aren't mutually exclusive beliefs here.

What prevents them from being offended?
If they explain why it's so offensive (and it's a for a good, understable reason), it can even backfire on the offender.

That's how it should happen in a normal society.

sensui-tomo

The way i see things is this " I may be offended by something and I can complain and send letters or make a thread on gaf but I'll never kill someone over it because no matter what they can offend me with (words/drawings/speeches) i'll never kill someone because that is more offensive than anything else i can do"
If you're offended and you want to kill someone, you need help.

Its a shame they werent able to capture them alive but I'm just glad this whole thing is over. 4 more dead, so fucking senseless. This whole ordeal has left a pit in my stomach the last few days. I hope there arent anymore attacks in France or anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom