• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlie Hebdo attacks - Hostage situations ended, 4 hostages reportedly killed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faith

So what effects will this have on the society in Europe? Islam already had a bad reputation, but what happens now? Will there be even more hate?

kmax

French Special Forces Operator (GIGN) (Source: Reddit)

ymASFwJ.jpg

GIGN man....they simply don't fuck around.

Jumplion

What prevents them from being offended?
If they explain why it's so offensive (and it's a for a good, understable reason), it can even backfire on the offender.

That's how it should happen in a normal society.

The way i see things is this " I may be offended by something and I can complain and send letters or make a thread on gaf but I'll never kill someone over it because no matter what they can offend me with (words/drawings/speeches) i'll never kill someone because that is more offensive than anything else i can do"
If you're offended and you want to kill someone, you need help.

I totally agree with what you guys are saying. I think I'm just on a different wavelength on this particular topic as I kind of get this feeling that people are using this tragedy to shield this publication, and by extension most "anti-political correctness" institutions, from criticism, intentionally or not.

I'll bow out for now, I think in general everyone here gets the idea so it's probably not the best to continue this discussion until this is all well and done.

Some anti-terrorist magistrates are worried about sunday's demonstration in Paris (where many people and several heads of State will be expected) and would like it postponed, for security reasons (Source: Le Figaro)

Arcteryx

How gruesome is this video?

It's pretty tame.

There's a dead body(no gore), the terrorist gets shot multiple times(dead-checked out of frame; again, no gore), and one of the GIGN/RAID guys gets dragged to safety from what looks like a leg wound(no gore).

M3d10n

I totally agree with what you guys are saying. I think I'm just on a different wavelength on this particular topic as I kind of get this feeling that people are using this tragedy to shield this publication, and by extension most "anti-political correctness" institutions, from criticism, intentionally or not.

I'll bow out for now, I think in general everyone here gets the idea so it's probably not the best to continue this discussion until this is all well and done.

I get what you're saying but this is simply the natural outcome when one side decides to counter offensive speech with brutality. It becomes much harder to criticize someone's actions after they are violently murdered.

Afrikan

video of the assault (uncensored)
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=869_1420833044

Looks like the RAID even threw a grenade inside.

I don't know how any of the officers on either side, didn't accidentally shoot each other...

edit- ok he bounced off the door. ignore following.

they were shooting him when the bullets made him fly in the air, and they were shooting him when he was falling down...then shooting him on the ground.. which should be easy, but if someone misses and hits the ground, you would think it would ricochet.

but that was crazy to see how the bullets lifted him off the ground... I thought he initially jumped, but no...bullets made him fly left for a second, then bullets from that side made him fly to the right.

sorry for my ignorance on how powerful bullets actually are... I don't know anything about guns or bullets.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Has it been confirmed if all the dead hostages were dead before the team went in? Would hate for these Special Forces guys to have to live with possibly hitting someone accident

I don't know how any of the officers on either side, didn't accidentally shoot each other...

they were shooting him when the bullets made him fly in the air, and they were shooting him when he was falling down...then shooting him on the ground.. which should be easy, but if someone misses and hits the ground, you would think it would ricochet.

agreed. Once the guy was on the floor at the door it almost looks like they're shooting each other.

but that was crazy to see how the bullets lifted him off the ground... I thought he initially jumped, but no...bullets made him fly left for a second, then bullets from that side made him fly to the right.

sorry for my ignorance on how powerful bullets actually are... I don't know anything about guns or bullets.

It looks like he jumped, I don't think bullets can lift you off the ground.

Arcteryx

They didn't. Look @ the :44 mark. He collides with the frame of the door and his momentum spins him around.

As someone from Mexico, I still find it amusing that 43 students were killed and the government did pretty much NOTHING but ignore the situation with lies. On the other hand, in France, the suspects were found and killed in a less than 2 days.

Gotta love living in Mexico.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Has it been confirmed if all the dead hostages were dead before the team went in? Would hate for these Special Forces guys to have to live with possibly hitting someone accident

agreed. Once the guy was on the floor at the door it almost looks like they're shooting each other.

Yes, it was confirmed during the press conference that they were dead long before the assault started. They were killed when the terrorist first entered the shop, according to witnesses and preliminary investigations.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
It looks like he jumped, I don't think bullets can lift you off the ground.

Mythbusters need to test if bullets can launch a terrorist.

Yes, it was confirmed during the press conference that they were dead long before the assault started. They were killed when the terrorist first entered the shop, according to witnesses and preliminary investigations.

Small comfort I guess. Hopefully they died quickly, but good to know the response team manged the assault with no further casualties.

Afrikan

They didn't. Look @ the :44 mark. He collides with the frame of the door and his momentum spins him around.

aaahh.. yes I see it now... it was weird how the door was fully opened at first...then it was slowly closing on its own....and it was as the exact time he almost made it out the door that he hit it..... crazy to think that if that didn't slow him down, he would've been in the middle of all of them (he was really running fast)...and they REALLY could've shot each other.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
video of the assault (uncensored)
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=869_1420833044

Looks like the RAID even threw a grenade inside.

It's kind of funny how terrorists are "professionnals" against unnarmed innocents but get fucking Devil May Cry'ed against hardcore badass motherfuckers. Son of a bitch fucking levitated from all the gunfire. They fucking knocked him up into the air for a couple seconds from pure ownage. Holy shit. This is so fucking badass. Props to GIGN.

Yagharek

So what effects will this have on the society in Europe? Islam already had a bad reputation, but what happens now? Will there be even more hate?

I suppose it depends on how many other attacks by radical muslims take place. With a number going to Syria and returning even more radicalised, many of them could come back fuelled by hate.

nilbog21

Banned
one guy probably has to run in with shield and tons of armor to draw the targets attention and bullets while the guys at the opening try to get a clear shot..

i dont think the rest of the guys chickened out lol...

Khaz

no one followed that one officer who went in solo, also was worried the terrorist might have had a bomb when he started to run towards the officers

The column was split in half due to heavy fire. I don't think it's uncommon in that situation, except that half in this case means the whole team minus one guy. And he couldn't retreat either, as he would be subjected to friendly fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom