• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child Of Eden |OT| of Amazing Visuals, Fantastic Music and Multi-Platform Bliss

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
venne said:
There sure are a lot of people pretending to have fun in this thread.

I know huh. Next thing you'll tell me, I pretended to have fun with Rez for a whole decade!

conman

Looks great. Can't wait to play it. Big, big fan of Rez.

But... waiting for the Move version. There's no way in hell I'm buying Kinect just for this.

saunderez

SeanR1221 said:
Yeah, you got that right. I'm actually miserable while playing.
I break down in an uncontrollable fit of tears after completing a level. I think I'm going to have to go on anti-depressants.

d0c_zaius

venne said:
There sure are a lot of people pretending to have fun in this thread.

Man up and post your GT/PSN ID so I can see what games you consider "fun".

and kinect refurbs are 100$ at gamestop (without the ac adapter) and if you dont like it you can return it for full price within 7 days

Adam J.

Just finished playing the first 3 levels. The whole experience didn't gel until I started blasting crystals off a space whales back, in perfect rhythm.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Any Genki Rocket fans in here that can identify the songs in this game? Starline and Heavenly Star are obvious. I need to dust off my album, haven't listened to it in years

Jintor

I hear Breeze, Star Line, Heavenly Star and... uh... the Earth Rising remix of Heavenly Star at least.

Fly away... I've found the path to paradise! Shining spiral of gold... take my hands, find a way out...!

venne

d0c_zaius said:
Man up and post your GT/PSN ID so I can see what games you consider "fun".

and kinect refurbs are 100$ at gamestop (without the ac adapter) and if you dont like it you can return it for full price within 7 days

Um. They're sort of listed in my profile if you feel like cyberstalking.

Not that it matters, my comment was facetious. Someone in another thread claimed that anyone having fun with Kinect was pretending. I was making light of that based on the overwhelming positive response it's garnering in this thread.

Cheska

So is Kinect the best way of experiencing this game then? I'm really considering going out and buying one because I don't want to wait until September for the Move version.

big_z

Anyone preorder from bestbuy.ca have their game ship? My order still hasn't shipped or been price corrected. Wtf!!

Nemesis_

Cheska said:
So is Kinect the best way of experiencing this game then? I'm really considering going out and buying one because I don't want to wait until September for the Move version.

It's great, and Kinect is definitely the way to play.

I've gotta be honest though, not sure if it's worth BUYING ONE JUST FOR IT. =/

goldenpp72

Nemesis556 said:
It's great, and Kinect is definitely the way to play.

I've gotta be honest though, not sure if it's worth BUYING ONE JUST FOR IT. =/

I'd hope anyone who buys a kinect is willing to try kinect sports and has some enthusiasm for games like draco and project D :)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
This is my take on Kinect or controller.

If you don't have a Kinect and see no reason to use a Kinect other than Child of Eden, don't buy a Kinect. $150 is overkill for this game. A controller is more than capable to playing Child of Eden. And like someone mentioned earlier, the absolute top scores will probably be achieved by controller. Thankfully there are separate leaderboards for controller and Kinect. If you plan to use Kinect outside of Child of Eden or in the future, then why not? Not sure if Kinect will get a price drop this year anyway.

If you already have Kinect after buying Child of Eden, then you you pretty much have 2 games in 1! No one controller is superior over the other, they each have their pros and cons and different experiences. You're fine with either.

Does anyone else feel as if the game difficulty is lowered when playing with Kinect? Not necessarily a bad thing, just an observation...

Girlfriend just picked this up for me along with infamous 2. Child of eden wasnt marked buy 1 get 1 50% off but it rang up!! Hooking up kinect for the first time since december :)

saunderez

MikeE21286 said:
Does anyone else feel as if the game difficulty is lowered when playing with Kinect? Not necessarily a bad thing, just an observation...
I don't think so....I've done the first 3 stages in both modes and I don't think difficulty is any lower when playing with Kinect.

Cheska

Oh there's definitely a couple of games I've had my eye on, I think Child of Eden is just the cherry on the sundae. Maybe I should try the game out with a controller first and see how much I like it.

Gary Whitta said:
Since I'm gonna be dusting off my Kinect, is Fun Labs worth downloading?
It's fun to mess around with. There are essentially just a few tech demos up now, but they're pretty much setting it up as the Kinect app store with much more to come, so you'll probably want to download it eventually. Soon it's getting a virtual floor piano so you can live out any 'Big' chopsticks ambitions you might have.

Glad this is getting such positive responses, though I never doubted it would. Gotta wait til the 17th to play it the UK :(

Liberty4all

Banned
My issue is that I don't have enough space in my apartment to use kinect. Its infuriating having the equipment but not being able to use it.

d0c_zaius

venne said:
Um. They're sort of listed in my profile if you feel like cyberstalking.

Not that it matters, my comment was facetious. Someone in another thread claimed that anyone having fun with Kinect was pretending. I was making light of that based on the overwhelming positive response it's garnering in this thread.

yea I figured that after I posted, but I can't keep track of cross thread facetious references. The only reason I brought it up was because I am the most vocal anti-kinect person I know, and I think CoE is pretty fun.

Asking for examples of what you consider fun is hardly cyberstalking though...

Pride

Reviews have been very strong (5/5 from Joystiq) but say the game is short. Not a deal breaker if replay is high, any insight?

bedlamite

Bamelin said:
My issue is that I don't have enough space in my apartment to use kinect. Its infuriating having the equipment but not being able to use it.
Nyko is going to release a wide-angle lens that attaches onto the Kinect sensor, hopefully that'll fix space issues.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Gary Whitta said:
Is this the game that justifies Kinect's existence?

YES!

This game is so good! I think the Kinect controls are extremely snappy. I'm not noticing any lag at all.

Lunchbox

Banned
MS should seriously bundle this with kinects or atleast put it on the demo skus at stores

the game totally sells you on the tech

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Cheska said:

You can always return it if you don't like it. I can't imagine playing this with a controller after playing it with Kinect. It's so immersive IMO.

Wario64 said:
This is my take on Kinect or controller.

If you don't have a Kinect and see no reason to use a Kinect other than Child of Eden, don't buy a Kinect. $150 is overkill for this game. A controller is more than capable to playing Child of Eden. And like someone mentioned earlier, the absolute top scores will probably be achieved by controller. Thankfully there are separate leaderboards for controller and Kinect. If you plan to use Kinect outside of Child of Eden or in the future, then why not? Not sure if Kinect will get a price drop this year anyway.

If you already have Kinect after buying Child of Eden, then you you pretty much have 2 games in 1! No one controller is superior over the other, they each have their pros and cons and different experiences. You're fine with either.

People bought Steel Battalion for $200, and I was one of them. I'd say Child of Eden with Kinect is a better investment and is how the game is meant to be played. Yes, it works with a controller, but its a different experience with Kinect.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
chris121580 said:
This is so fucking awesome and this is why I purchased a kinect at launch

Same here. I'm happy to pay $200 for an unique game experience I really want, it's the definition of a killer app. However, I was pleasantly surprised by Kinect Sports and Dance Central which only made the Kinect purchase sweeter. For anybody picking up Kinect for the first time this week, I suggest giving those games a try also (I think demos are available?)

Chocoboko

Holy Shit at world 4. That music is amazing. The levels keep getting better and better. So far this is exactly what I wanted it to be. I am playing with controller only and it is exactly like rez. I am still getting used to switching up between the normal and purple enemies but it is starting to click more. Can't wait to see how it all ends but I will save that for tomorrow.

robot

There are a lot of games out there that have that one defining moment. The moment you realize just got a full price tags worth of fun out of a game.

In this game, it was on the 2nd level - waving my arm at the television, 5.1 surround sound shaking my basement, shooting rapid fire piano sounding shots at the back of a flaming crystal Phoenix while floating through whatever water filled super space that was. I could seriously play that part at least a dozen more times tonight, it was pretty crazy.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
_dementia said:
I still want to know how Wario got his for $60

Gohastings.com used + 20% off coupon = $62 shipped

I think that's the lowest it's ever been, anywhere. I got real lucky with that one

Sydle

robot said:
There are a lot of games out there that have that one defining moment. The moment you realize just got a full price tags worth of fun out of a game.

In this game, it was on the 2nd level, waving my arm at the television, shooting rapid fire piano sounding shots at the back of a flaming crystal Phoenix while hurling through whatever water filled super space they had going on. I could seriously play that part at least a dozen more time tonight, it was pretty crazy.

My favorite moment so far as well. : )

LiK

Cheska said:

*hugs* welcome

jcutner

this. is. awesome.

a) my right arm is so sore, i must be doing something wrong
b) in relation to a), i really, really suck at this game

i'm not great at matching the patterns, took me 2 tries to beat the first level

the boss battles are INSANE

and if theres a single game that could benefit from 3D, it's this.

saunderez

jcutner said:
a) my right arm is so sore, i must be doing something wrong
b) in relation to a), i really, really suck at this game
a) Totally normal. I've got sore triceps and biceps today.
b) It gets easier. My first few attempts I'd die on a level before passing it. Managed to beat level 4 without dying at all, had a sliver of life for about 1/3 of the level too and felt like a god when the stats screen rolled up.

Magnus

robot said:

In this game, it was on the 2nd level - waving my arm at the television, 5.1 surround sound shaking my basement, shooting rapid fire piano sounding shots at the back of a flaming crystal Phoenix while floating through whatever water filled super space that was. I could seriously play that part at least a dozen more times tonight, it was pretty crazy.

Yup, that was the moment, combined with the whale encounter just prior, lol. Blasted the fucking sound, and rocked it.

I must be the only person that probably wouldn't play this without Kinect. I tried Rez back in the day, and found it extremely boring. So much of this experience today for me has been about using Kinect and standing in my living room, willfully signing myself over to my sensor and speakers. I dunno.

I'll try it with the controller later to see for sure.

Top Bottom