• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan to direct WWII film "Dunkirk", shot in IMAX 65mm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Britain historically has a small army, a core of regulars that were shipped across the Empire to prop up native commonwealth or less professional/garrison troops. And at the onset of fighting, those regulars made up the BEF who'd later go on to shore up the other theater's later in the war.

It would have been a totally different war (and i'd happily argue a different outcome) if those men were lost at Dunkirk.

How many would be lost though? The evacuation lasted for eight-nine days, there's always going to be at least some of them making it out. More specifically - the total loss of all personnel who would be evacuated would have been of significance, but such a scenario is very unrealistic. The French were fighting to the death nearby and most of the British formations were still in tact. Had the Germans attempted to race to Dunkirk without stopping as they did for a day historically, it would not have turned out well. The lone Panzer division (Guderian's) would have run headlong into the exact formations that stopped it historically (they were already in place prior to the halt order being given), but without taking a day to rest and wait for support elements to catch up. A concerted counter attack on their vulnerable rear may have actually resulted in the loss of the division to the BEF and French 7th Army, whom outnumbered them dramatically in that area and could potentially have cut them off (not guaranteed or anything, but possible).

It's also not true that all of the British regulars were there as opposed to in other theaters or in the UK. Even if you waved a wand and got rid of many of them, new recruits had plenty of time and engagements to forge them into battle hardened soldiers over the following few years. Commonwealth and local forces held the line in North Africa for the time being - it's not likely that front would have changed radically. Long term maybe some operations need more time for new formations to build up and go slightly worse due to a smaller number (initially) of experienced regulars, but the broad picture doesn't look different, imo.

4Tran

The British sent in a second BEF into France about a week after Dunkirk as well. The rescued troops (or the lack thereof) would only have been instrumental in changing the war if the Germans pressed on to invade Britain immediately after the fall of France, but even they never considered Operation Sealion to be feasible. No doubt that it was a very harrowing event at the time, but the importance of Dunkirk largely stems from British propaganda trying to salvage something from a terrible defeat.

Livingskeletons

If I pulled that off, would you die?
Nolan movies always have great posters and taglines.

"Your mind is the scene of the crime", "Go Further", "Welcome to a world without rules".

i think you'd have to start further back than that. most of them probably barely aware that there was a world war before the second one and just think that it's like star wars episode iv and they haven't made the prequel yet.

utterly cringe-worthy shit. it's not that they're dumb as rocks, it's that they beat their chest and shout about it.

I can't wait for a thread about the Pacific, where we get to make fun of Brits who aren't familiar with every semi-major event that occurred there. Jesus.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
I can't wait for a thread about the Pacific, where we get to make fun of Brits who aren't familiar with every semi-major event that occurred there. Jesus.

stunning post. we were in the pacific theatre too mate. never seen bridge over the river kwai i suppose?

Xe4

Banned
stunning post. we were in the pacific theatre too mate. never seen bridge over the river kwai i suppose?

That's a semi-fictional movie, based on a real event that involved Americans and Dutch. By in large the British did not take part in the pacific theater, with the exception of the British Pacific Fleet.

DMczaf

Didn't take long

Hans Zimmer confirmed to Hans-Zimmer.com he is set to score Christopher Nolan's upcoming film DUNKIRK. The film is set for release on July 21, 2017. Shooting should begin in may 2016 in France. As excepted on a Christopher Nolan project, Hans already started working on a few ideas very early on. This marks the 6th collaboration between Hans & Christopher Nolan, after the Dark Knight Trilogy, Inception & Interstellar.

The real question, who will be the cinematographer? Also, what the hell happened to Wally Pfister? He sorta just disappeared after Transcendence, I bet he wishes he stuck with Nolan now.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The real question, who will be the cinematographer? Also, what the hell happened to Wally Pfister? He sorta just disappeared after Transcendence, I bet he wishes he stuck with Nolan now.
IMDB says he's directing some episodes of Flaked, the upcoming Netflix show starring Will Arnett. Looks like his Instagram confirms that.

Ridley327

Pfister is in triple max director jail. They buried him so deep under the ground that he gets free heating from the Earth's core.

IMDB says he's directing some episodes of Flaked, the upcoming Netflix show starring Will Arnett. Looks like his Instagram confirms that.

imadeahugemistake.gif

I don't know why he didn't go back to being a director of photography.

Bull fucking shit.

Why the hell would he need to put his own money into it?

He owns his own production company? It'd also be leverage to take an even bigger piece of the money pie.

Jarmel

Banned
He owns his own production company? It'd also be leverage to take an even bigger piece of the money pie.

He already got a huge chunk for Interstellar. Dude is already filthy rich, but that line of thought would make sense.

The way it's worded made it sound like WB wasn't giving him the proper funding.

He'll be getting a huge chunk of the gross as usual. He made around 75 million iirc correctly for TDKR. DiCaprio got 100 million out of Inception.

He already got a huge chunk for Interstellar. Dude is already filthy rich, but that line of thought would make sense.

The way it's worded made it sound like WB wasn't giving him the proper funding.

I could see where WB would want to refrain from giving him a ton of money for this film. On paper, it doesn't scream $200 million summer blockbuster to me, especially with the movie looking for two unknown teenage leads. He's had success, but he might be trying to bite off more than he can chew with this one.

Monocle

“We are thrilled to be continuing our collaboration with Christopher Nolan, a singular filmmaker who has created some of the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful films of all time,” Greg Silverman, President, Creative Development and Worldwide Production said. “‘Dunkirk’ is a gripping and powerful story and we are excited to see Chris, Emma and their cast realize it on the big screen.”
Love this part.

"We are thrilled that visionary movie person Christopher Nolan will continue to print money for us. He has printed a lot of money in his time, and we are practically soiling our drawers at the prospect of his continued commercial success. We hope that you, our treasured wallet openers, will take no small pleasure in the pretty humans we have assigned to decorate our money tree."

DMczaf

Posted: December 30, 2015 at 3:54 pm EST
TITLE: Dunkirk
CATEGORY: Feature Film
GENRE: Action / Drama / History / War
SHOOT DATE: May 23, 2016

STORY:
The film is based on true story of the Dunkirk evacuation, which took place at the beginning of World War II. British men and women use small boats to cross the English Channel and rescue 200,000 British troops and 140,000 French troops from the advancing Germans.

Guzim, let's go be extras!

Jarmel

Banned
So I guess it is going to be a straight forward retelling. Better hope those kid leads get butts into the seats.

Guzim

Love this part.

"We are thrilled that visionary movie person Christopher Nolan will continue to print money for us. He has printed a lot of money in his time, and we are practically soiling our drawers at the prospect of his continued commercial success. We hope that you, our treasured wallet openers, will take no small pleasure in the pretty humans we have assigned to decorate our money tree."

WB loves him. Especially because he got them to be a part of Interstellar.
Guzim, let's go be extras!

Looks like I'll be taking some sick days!

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Of course.

We weren't reallllly expecting anyone else, were we?

Hearing Michael Giacchino's work of Medal of Honor made me wish that he did the OST for this, but I don't know what Nolan wants to do with the movie, and he does have a very good relationship with Hans, and brings out the best of him in some cases, so I'm fine either way.

I'm more thoughtful of the cinematography, I hope he brought back Hoyte. He's awesome.

DMczaf

http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/region/d...istopher-nolan-la-jetee-de-ia17b47588n3255690

They are reconstructing the pier as it was in 1940

To help rebuild the evacuation of thousands of soldiers of Operation Dynamo, adjustments will be required. In this context, a renovation of the outer harbor's pier is considered nearly 300 meters.

The secret is incredibly well kept, extremely disciplined troops. Like a real military operation, the future reconstruction of Dynamo by the British director Christopher Nolan conducts top secret. Yet few bits of information filter. As this proposed reconstruction of the pier Malo (which borders the outer harbor is), historical element of embarkation of May-June 1940.

This initial pier, built in 1938 and who lived in full two years he remains today only two wood dotted inaccessible to fishermen and joggers accustomed places. At the port, leased by the city for production and listening and the quality of its preparatory work, it does not deny the information. But motus. "We do not obstructive and we will with pleasure as soon as we can, but we are bound by a moral contract of confidentiality with the producer said Daniel Deschodt, commercial director at the Grand Port Maritime de Dunkerque. And we there will waive not because we really want that this great project succeed. "

According to our information, the layout of the pier will allow the production to dock the armada of ships mobilized for reconstitution. And to shoot some scenes. Inaccuracies still hang on the project. For more options are emerging. Should the recovery be temporary or could it be sustainable? Both options are possible, but at different costs. With, ultimately, a bill to share?

Prologue

I honestly wish he was going the more science fiction vibe like with Inception and Interstellar. We just don't see big block busters like that often, that aren't shoot shoot, bang bang and boobies. I'll definitely stay tuned for the trailer, but can't say I'm not a bit disappointed.

I wonder how Hollywood will spin that into Americans winning whilst no one else existed in the war.

Well, every country has it's own distinct "version" of WWII, but yeah Hollywood's cultural impact everywhere makes it more annoying.

My worst-case guess is something something America decides to save the day after the British prove they aren't going to give up that easy, Wehrmacht isn't unstoppable, Hitler is fallable, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom