• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cincinnati braces for footage release in campus cop killing (Up: Murder charge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squalor

Real talk, the cop deserves life in prison. But, what should the cop that lied about the shooter being dragged by the car get?
"Accomplice to..." and "conspiracy" charges as well as filing a false report.

I don't know what the punishments for those are, though.

It happens around 1:50 ( https://youtu.be/Z0cdejrSjyc?t=110 ), "go and take your seatbelt off", I hear a vehicle starting, and within seconds he is dead. Ridiculous.

Looking at it a second time, it almost seems like the sound of the engine starting comes from another vehicle in the same area? Which startled the cop?

Is this really helpful? Reminding me to never join discussion about anything but games..

Well, from what I can tell:

1. Cop is attempting to open door
2. Driver either turns on or turns the car off
3. Cop tells the Driver to stop
4. - 5. Cop shoots the Driver, causing the Driver to immediately speed off.

Two scenarios:
1. If the car was originally on, then the Driver was actually trying to park and give him the guys
2. If the car was originally off, then the Driver was turning it on

I won't bother to speculate which it is, but either way the Driver hasn't actually fleed nor attempted to flee. The two scenario thing is only relevant beause in 0:18 of that same video he turns the car on or off.

Maybe it's cause it's being reported more but does it seem like charges are being filed quicker against officers since Ferguson? Could be what I want to be seeing, self corroboration and all that, but it seems like there's been a few cases recently where it hasn't just been the typical administrative leave bs and then a drawn out investigation that leads nowhere with little to no punishment on the officer(s) in question.

Afrocious

If you are the parent of a black child, it's better to tell them the truth than to tell them to comply if they're ever pulled over by a cop.

Tell them that because they're black, they're disposable. Tell them they'll probably be killed if they don't comply and be subservient. Tell them they'll probably be killed if they do. Tell them the color of the skin curses them into being seen as animals by those who benefit from the current institutionalized system of racism, or 'others', or 'the bad people who live in the ghettos'. Tell them that the law will not take their side over a white person unless the law and its institutions stand to lose something in the case. Justice is a privilege given to some over others, and it will most likely be aiming a gun at the black child than protecting them.

Coolade

It is impossible to determine if a vehicle pursuit would have led to a better outcome.

And after being shot in the head dead, what if the car rolling forward out of control ran over kids on the sidewalk, you'd be ok with that im sure. Ok buddy. Ok

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Starting a car isn't fleeing as we've already established.

As cops themselves have already established, the officer had no reason to have his gun drawn.

I'd say that him starting the car, it is reasonable to assume he is going to flee.

But the drawing the gun thing just seems to be at the core of these problems. Cops using the gun like a normal tool, rather than as a last resort. This guy was probably about to flee. He wasn't some armed criminal with a violent history, he wasn't drunk. There was no reason for this to escalate to that.

It is impossible to determine if a vehicle pursuit would have led to a better outcome.

What pursuit was needed?

The best thing the officer could have done is let him go, and report the info he got to dispatch. They have the plates, they know where he lives.

And hell, lets assume for a second that the car was stolen. The cop has that body camera. In addition to being a great tool for recording police interactions, it just gave you a fantastic shot of the guys face to give to the media.

Jackson

That cop needs to serve time for extremely poor judgement using deadly force. That was murder.

But on the other side I have no idea why the driver didn't comply, especially in the current climate we're in...

It's really a bad idea to:
A) Not have your ID on you/refuse to show ID which then makes the cop think you're a criminal.
B) Refuse to obey the cop's commands of taking off your seat belt and exiting the vehicle
C) Hold the door closed (resisting the cop)
D) Saying you "didn't do anything" when driving without an ID is actually doing something illegal.
E) Starting your car (which is a pretty indication you're going to flee) when the cop wants you out of the car and is actively fighting with you to open your door while the cop believes you not having an ID = criminal.

Again this doesn't excuse the cop's behavior. What he did was very wrong, and I'm sure he'll be convicted of murder, but the driver should have used better judgement knowing there's trigger happy cops targeting young black men out there right now.

And yes... sure can the cop shoot him in the back while hes' laying on the ground handcuffed? Yes it's happened before. Does your risk of death decrease/injury if you comply? Also yes.

nilbog21

Banned
wow, watched the 30 min video footage.. Guy keeps trying to justifying what he did, blaming the guy repeatedly. Guy knows he fucked up. Chilling. Glad we put cameras on these fucking scum bags. Enjoy the rest of your life in jail. He's young too.. maybe think twice before you fucking shoot someone in the face for no reason you piece of shit

It's just a stupid thing to say, weird phrasing or not. The discussion here shouldn't be about 'ways to stay alive by a cop' because that's honestly a misdirection of the real issue at play and also puts guilt on the victim. Also, it's not fun to tell people of an entire race to act a certain way as their people die off senselessly, regardless of the intent.

Nobody wants to hear "hey, change your entire lifestyle so you can live next time you meet a cop" because it's tone deaf.

I apologise if it came across the wrong way. Seriously.

Do cops not carry tasers anymore?

Can we invest in stun guns or something?

If you give them a taser they will use it on a 6 year old girl in a classroom, an innocent man sleeping in his own home, an epileptic having a seizure, a diabetic with low blood sugar, or just hold onto the button until an elderly man has a heart attack and dies. Or reach for the taser, grab the gun by mistake, and shoot a handcuffed kid in the spine.

Slayven

That cop needs to serve time for extremely poor judgement using deadly force. That was murder.

But on the other side I have no idea why the driver didn't comply, especially in the current climate we're in...

A) Not have your ID on you/refuse ID which then makes the cop think you're a criminal.
B) Refuse to obey the cop's commands of taking off your seatbelt and exiting the vehicle
C) holding the door (resisting the cop)
D) Saying you "didn't do anything" when driving without an ID is actually doing something illegal.
E) starting your car when the cop wants you out of the car and is actively fighting with you to open your door.

Again this doesn't excuse the cop's behavior. What he did was very wrong, and I'm sure he'll be convicted of murder, but the driver should have used better judgement knowing there's trigger happy cops targeting young black men out there right now.

And yes... sure can the cop shoot him in the back while hes' laying on the ground handcuffed? Yes it's happened before. Does your risk of death decrease/injury if you comply? Also yes.

If you are white

pigeon

Banned

Given the first point, why would you assume the second point is true?

Squalor

I'd say that him starting the car, it is reasonable to assume he is going to flee.
I'm not playing your assumption game. All I know is that starting the car isn't fleeing.
Does your risk of death decrease/injury if you comply? Also yes.
Tell that to Oscar Grant's, Freddie Gray's, and Eric Garner's families.

Record it, please. If you survive, be sure to link to it.

ReAxion

we already know this trick, news:
@NBCNews
BREAKING: University of Cincinnati cop indicted for murder in death of unarmed motorist http://nbcnews.to/1Is5wm7
B9aQR9r.jpg

@RigelRobinson
Hey @NBCNews, I went ahead and fixed this one for you. Do better. #SamDubose
NX1f5fJ.jpg

the flag is such a nice touch.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Oh fuck off with that shit. In that moment, those NYPD officers acted heroic as fuck.

Without body camera footage we'll never know. They were still the NYPD.

NickFire

The way he plants the story about being dragged over and over, it's just so fucked up. How many times do they ask him if he is ok and should go the hospital. The whole thing is such bullshit its hard to believe.

I want to believe the cops who kept asking if he was ok / should go to hospital were suspect of his story and believed a physical exam might shed light on how much his life was at risk, if at all, before he chose to use deadly force.

I also cannot help but wonder if those questions would have been suggestions to say x, y or z if the body camera wasn't on.

Jackson

If you are white

Given the first point, why would you assume the second point is true?

I'm not playing your assumption game. All I know is that starting the car isn't fleeing.

Tell that to Oscar Grant's, Freddie Gray's, and Eric Garner's families.

Record it, please. If you survive, be sure to link to it.
Statistically your chances are lower if you comply. So it can be assumed.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day

A) Not have your ID on you/refuse to show ID which then makes the cop think you're a criminal.
B) Refuse to obey the cop's commands of taking off your seat belt and exiting the vehicle
C) Hold the door closed (resisting the cop)
E) Starting your car (which is a pretty indication you're going to flee) when the cop wants you out of the car and is actively fighting with you to open your door while the cop believes you not having an ID = criminal.

You ever heard of flight-or-fight responses?

Boke1879

wow, watched the 30 min video footage.. Guy keeps trying to justifying what he did, blaming the guy repeatedly. Guy knows he fucked up. Chilling. Glad we put cameras on these fucking scum bags. Enjoy the rest of your life in jail. He's young too.. maybe think twice before you fucking shoot someone in the face for no reason you piece of shit

Honestly. We can only hope he gets life in jail. I'm not sure what sort of "protections" he'll have as a university cop, but I'm sure his defense will try to spin a lot of things.

The bright spot. This video was so damning no one can justify what he did. Current and former officers can't even defend it. He fucked up.

pigeon

Banned
Statistically this is true. So it can be assumed.

Can I see the receipts?

Attaching "statistically" to your assumption doesn't make it a study. How can you possibly have evidence as to whether compliance is safer when part of the entire point of the problem is that the police regularly conceal evidence of their crimes? For all we know, racist cops prefer it if you go quietly so that there are fewer witnesses.

Jackson

Statistically?

You expect me to believe any statistics the cops give me? Yeah, you're clueless.

This has nothing to do with police given statistics. We're talking about what we see in the media.

The amount of police shootings where a suspect is handcuffed and lying down and then shot vs the amount of suspects not complying and shot is less.

pigeon

Banned
This has nothing to do with police given statistics. We're talking about what we see in the media.

The amount of police shootings where a suspect is handcuffed and lying down and then shot vs the amount of suspects not complying and shot is less.

Do you think there just might be a difference between the set of all police shootings and the set of all police shootings we see in the media?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

I'm not saying that it in any way gave the cop just cause to use his gun. Read the second part of my post.

I would not fault any officer from assuming that someone was about to flee if, in the middle of talking to the driver, the driver started up the engine. What other reason would there be for someone to start the engine?

And again, this is not in any way saying the officer was justified to shoot this man. But I do think it's naive to think he wasn't going to flee in his car. Did he deserve to die for that? Absolutely not. The officer had everything he needed to identify the driver and apprehend him safely at a later time.

Gamerloid

I really hate that how no matter what happens, we'll never all be able to all agree that it's the cop's fault no matter what. There's always SOMETHING.

Jackson

Do you think there just might be a difference between the set of all police shootings and the set of all police shootings we see in the media?

Sorry this argument goes both ways. We can only discuss what we know. If you say there are more people who complied but were killed but dirty cops covered it up, I can say the opposite and we can both be true because we have no idea.

Coins

Banned
He's under no obligation to exit the vehicle. It needs to be stated that you're being detained and the reason why you're being detained given. Hell, the cop tries to open the door first. You can't do that. No.

That whole no obligation bullshit needs to stop being passed around. You're fucking wrong. If a cop tells you to exit your vehicle it's a lawful order. Just do it. Don't give a cop a reason to escalate the situation.

Wow, literally shot in the face then his body pushes on the pedal. In like 2 seconds. Fuck. Hope he goes to jail on a murder charged. Why are campus cops armed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom