• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cincinnati braces for footage release in campus cop killing (Up: Murder charge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maridia

Guys?

Can we stop attacking each other, and start having a levelheaded discussion about how dissent is being silenced even though no one has bothered to rule out the possibility that the bottle contained a hateful, piss-colored genie that threatened to kill everyone the cop had ever loved unless he shot the driver?

If it were me, I'd rather be the one doing the shooting. Wouldn't you? 'Son, this is how we deal with tyrants'. Instead of 'son, you're becoming a man now, lets have a talk about you living in rational fear of the world and the world living in irrational fear of you. For the rest of your adult life. Forever.'

Or you could, you know, explain how to calmly talk to police and how to act (like keeping your hands visible at all times). While also explaining that the vast majority of black people stopped by police don't end up getting shot or killed.

The game is rigged. Act accordingly. There are better ways to attempt to un-rig the game when possible than advocating destructive behavior (I support guns and believe more black people should have them, but let's leave the whole "defending myself against cops with guns" thing in the trash).

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Just curious, why are you skipping the part where the driver pulls the door back shut? Is it irrelevant?

Are you fucking serious right now?

If s, the officer had no authority to open the man's car, and the man had every right to shut the car door.

Also if you're serious your post is a piece of shit. I hope that doesn't reflect on you as a person though.

akira28

Guys?

Can we stop attacking each other, and start having a levelheaded discussion about how dissent is being silenced even though no one has bothered to rule out the possibility that the bottle contained a hateful, piss-colored genie that threatened to kill everyone the cop had ever loved unless he shot the driver?

now just imagine we lived in a world where the cop wasn't raised on irrational fear, and black men aren't raised on actual real, pending threats on their lives, just waiting to happen.

Or you could, you know, explain how to calmly talk to police and how to act (like keeping your hands visible at all times). While also explaining that the vast majority of black people stopped by police don't end up getting shot or killed.

The game is rigged. Act accordingly. There are better ways to attempt to un-rig the game when possible than advocating destructive behavior (I support guns and believe more black people should have them, but let's leave the whole "defending myself against cops with guns" thing in the trash).

the game is rigged, so don't play rigged games. and since you asked, defending myself against cops with guns isn't the point. The point is some people are raised to have self respect and are allowed to keep it. Others are raised to live with their heads down, and if they raise them too high, they get chopped off. I would much rather have one talk than the other with my son, but I know the deal, and live in the same reality you do, unfortunately. So...I will have to have that same heartbreaking conversation with my boy about how to stay alive in these modern times. It doesn't matter that "most black people don't whatever". the one time you stop being black and start being a human being, that's the end of you.

Damn, that gif looks like some cartel/gang style assassination, we sure that cop was not actually a crip out to take out a blood?

Edit: nvm they would be more subtle.

Yukiari

In the body cam footage, Tensing acknowledged his camera was on and working, and that it would not write over any footage if it kept recording. Ass probably thought it would exonerate him.

Ah, I can't bring myself to watch it. Thank you.

I'm so sick of this victim blaming shit. Fuck that why is it always up to the victim to be the only one act right. How about we hold these bitchass cops responsible for their actions.Why is it that we shouldn't be allowed to defend ourselves from cops? Fuck that letting cops do to us whatever they fucking feel like it. Its not fucking right. I have the right to defend myself and I fucking will if need be

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Damn, that gif looks like some cartel/gang style assassination, we sure that cop was not actually a crip out to take out a blood?

Edit: nvm they would be more subtle.

Man first thing I thought was that it looked like a hit. I mean I don't actually think that it was but it was so quick and so deliberate... that's what it made me think of.

jonno394

So the guy won't take his seat belt off, pulls door back and starts his engine. Seems like he planned to drive off.....

Cop shouldn't have shot but stupid decisions like this lead to more stupid decisions. Rip guy.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member

I guess I should tell my sister she shouldn't wear revealing clothes, so she shouldn't worry about getting raped.

Continue on though with your victim blaming though.

So the guy won't take his seat belt off, pulls door back and starts his engine. Seems like he planned to drive off.....

Cop shouldn't have shot but stupid decisions like this lead to more stupid decisions. Rip guy.

Seriously fuck off with this victim blaming.

The cop had no authority to open the man's door, and he had no authority to reach into his car like that.

Also the man "drove" off after getting shot and it was clearly a fatal shit so he was dead when he "drove" off.

the game is rigged, so don't play rigged games. and since you asked, defending myself against cops with guns isn't the point. The point is some people are raised to have self respect and are allowed to keep it. Others are raised to live with their heads down, and if they raise them too high, they get chopped off. I would much rather have one talk than the other with my son, but I know the deal, and live in the same reality you do, unfortunately. So...I will have to have that same heartbreaking conversation with my boy about how to stay alive in these modern times. It doesn't matter that "most black people don't whatever". the one time you stop being black and start being a human being, that's the end of you.

That's an exaggeration.

I prefer to recognize the game as what it is; it's not going anywhere. I go through much of the day without thinking about it. However if I'm walking into a bank or a store late at night sure, of course I'm thinking about it. The difference is that I'm not afraid. I know what it is and recognize more than likely I'll be alright. That doesn't mean I'm going to do stupid shit like antagonize a cop or refuse to follow directions though.

That's an exaggeration.

I prefer to recognize the game as what it is; it's not going anywhere. I go through much of the day without thinking about it. However if I'm walking into a bank or a store late at night sure, of course I'm thinking about it. The difference is that I'm not afraid. I know what it is and recognize more than likely I'll be alright. That doesn't mean I'm going to do stupid shit like antagonize a cop or refuse to follow directions though.

So cops shouldn't be held accountable for whatever they do. Its always the victims fault huh? Get the fuck out with this bullshit.

jonno394

The cop had no authority to open the man's door, and he had no authority to reach into his car like that.

Also the man "drove" off after getting shot and it was clearly a fatal shit so he was dead when he "drove" off.

The guy started his engine while being stopped by a cop. Why would he start his engine mid stop?

It was a mistake on his part but not way justified the events that followed.

I guess I should tell my sister she shouldn't wear revealing clothes, so she shouldn't worry about getting raped.

Continue on though with your victim blaming though.

You can take that bullsht comparison elsewhere.

So cops shouldn't be held accountable for whatever they do. Its always the victims fault huh? Get the fuck out with this bullshit.
Nowhere in my post do I insinuate or advocate this. I was responding directly to a conversation between Akira and another poster. Obviously the cop here committed murder and should be held accountable. That's not up for debate.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
The guy started his engine while being stopped by a cop. Why would he start his engine mid stop?

Go back and watch the fucking video and stop fucking victim blaming.
I said it didn't justify the events. We all know the cop is a piece of shit.

No you are basically saying its kinda his fault that he got shot on the other hand the cop is a piece of shit. If he didn't make a simple mistake though he wouldn't have gotten shot so....

Fuck off.

akira28

That's an exaggeration.

no it isn't. all it takes is one time for you to forget who you are in front of the wrong person, and you will be reminded. hard.

I disagree that the rigged game isn't going anywhere though. I have set myself against it, I'm not accepting things the way they are. I feel like I can do that much, if not other things. I'm not sure about your affirmations against fear though. I talk with a lot of people who say "just comply, you know the deal." and fear is at the center of those words, even if practicality is what they base it on. No one is sayin antagonize the police or refuse to follow instructions. But I am saying don't accept it, and wait for your moment to fight back, because it will come.

Vibranium

Banned

It was a bad decision by the guy but he shouldn't have to get shot in the face. Most people would expect the cop to simply make for the keys, to let go if he was in danger of being dragged, and then pursue the guy in his squad car if he got away.

Komo

Banned
It's heart breaking to see these sorts of videos. It's even worse when you realize that they're meant to be protecting lives, yet they're so eager and happy to take them.

I don't understand how they live with themselves.

jonno394

Go back and watch the fucking video and stop fucking victim blaming.

No you are basically saying its kinda his fault that he got shot on the other hand the cop is a piece of shit. If he didn't make a simple mistake though he wouldn't have gotten shot so....

Fuck off.

He likely wouldn't have gotten shot if he hadn't turned his engine on. He likely wouldn't have been shot if the cop hadnt tried to open his door which started the following events. He also wouldn't have been shot if the police officer didn't have a gun on him.

I'm not saying the guy deserved it. It was a tragic series of events that led to his unlawful murder by the cop.

Liamario

Banned
My version of what I saw-

Guy tries to start the car after officer asks him to take his seatbelt off.
Cop yells stop and proceeds to execute the driver.
Car starts moving as engine was successfully started and deceased driver is sitting on accelerator somehow.
Officer was dragged after he shot the deceased in the head.

There was absolutely no justification to pull a gun and shoot the driver, none. Even IF he was about to drive off.

There was absolutely no reason for the guy to get shot. That was horrible.. disgusting. he wasn't trying to run him down.

But reading some of the comments on here.. yes when you can't produce a id, police can tell you to exit the vehicle. I've had it happen numerous times. Basically they need to know who you are and not give you a chance to flee.

While this does not justify the man dying, the cop did have a right to open the door.

With that said I hope the cop gets some serious jail time for this

I love it that the only ones in these situations that are allowed to fear for their lives are the cops. Dude got pulled over for some dumb shit. Didn't have his license cop tries to force his way into the car the guy panics and starts car gets executed. Mothafuckas have the nerve to blame him instead of the paid professional who is supposed to protect and serve.

no it isn't. all it takes is one time for you to forget who you are in front of the wrong person, and you will be reminded. hard.

I disagree that the rigged game isn't going anywhere though. I have set myself against it, I'm not accepting things the way they are. I feel like I can do that much, if not other things. I'm not sure about your affirmations against fear though. I talk with a lot of people who say "just comply, you know the deal." and fear is at the center of those words, even if practicality is what they base it on. No one is sayin antagonize the police or refuse to follow instructions. But I am saying don't accept it, and wait for your moment to fight back, because it will come.
I think it's an exaggeration from the perspective that people forget what time it is all the time and live to see another day, don't go to jail, etc. More often than being shot or arrested.

Interesting point on fear, although I don't think I agree. I've been stopped many times by the police. I live across the street from a bank that was robbed last year. When I'm stopped I calmly handle the situation and move on. I think that's the best way to deal with cops, or assholes in general: don't give them a reason to fuck with you. I know I'm going to get stopped. Those are the cards I've been dealt. All I can do is win or manage/exist with the hand I'm given.

What do you mean by fight back btw?

Let's get real, how do minorities view cops vs. how white people view them? I was raised to look out for them. Like, don't let them catch you slipping.

Edit: poor whites feel the same.

Nephtis

I don't think the cop had any right to just open the door.

He just casually tries to open the door and then tells him to take his seatbelt off. He never asks him to get out of the car.

I hope that piece of shit cop rots in jail. The way he tries to sell it to the other guys that he thought he was gonna run him over... disgusting.

I don't think the cop had any right to just open the door.

He just casually tries to open the door and then tells him to take his seatbelt off. He never asks him to get out of the car.

I hope that piece of shit cop rots in jail. The way he tries to sell it to the other guys that he thought he was gonna run him over... disgusting.

Yo, as bad as some cops have gotten with me and my boys none of them have tried to rip the door off.

Watched it a few times.

I feel like the cop maybe ND'd on the guy and then tried to lie to cover it up.

Out side of that, I can't really see any reason for the shot in that situation.

akira28

I think it's an exaggeration from the perspective that people forget what time it is all the time and live to see another day, don't go to jail, etc. More often than being shot or arrested.

Interesting point on fear, although I don't think I agree. I've been stopped many times by the police. I live across the street from a bank that was robbed last year. When I'm stopped I calmly handle the situation and move on. I think that's the best way to deal with cops, or assholes in general: don't give them a reason to fuck with you. I know I'm going to get stopped. Those are the cards I've been dealt. All I can do is win or manage/exist with the hand I'm given.

What do you mean by fight back btw?

fighting back means a lot of things. There are a lot of ways we can resist the status quo of racism and inequality. And when it comes to the police, realizing they're not invincible, not invulnerable to the law, not untouchable goes a hell of a long way. Instead of "open season on cops", see them for what they are, and attack accordingly. Attack them through the system, via the laws, erode the position they've held in society for 100+ years, and destroy their image within the public. Defund, downsize, reapportion. We took away their tanks and it shouldn't stop there.

here's the thing about that fear. You know you don't need to give the police a reason to fuck with you. And you can do everything you can to avoid it. If that hostility sets it's sights on you, you will feel the fear. Doesn't matter that you're in control of yourself and your emotions. You're not really in control of the situation. And there are people out there who can give you something to be afraid of. That fear is just another tool in their toolbag, and some of them know how to use it.

Nafai1123

Banned
There was absolutely no reason for the guy to get shot. That was horrible.. disgusting. he wasn't trying to run him down.

But reading some of the comments on here.. yes when you can't produce a id, police can tell you to exit the vehicle. I've had it happen numerous times. Basically they need to know who you are and not give you a chance to flee.

While this does not justify the man dying, the cop did have a right to open the door.

With that said I hope the cop gets some serious jail time for this

The cop no doubt had a right to instruct him to exit the vehicle....but he didn't. At no point did he TELL him to exit the vehicle.

So no, I don't think he had a right to just open the door. That was the catalyst for the entire altercation.

He likely wouldn't have gotten shot if he hadn't turned his engine on. He likely wouldn't have been shot if the cop hadnt tried to open his door which started the following events. He also wouldn't have been shot if the police officer didn't have a gun on him.

I'm not saying the guy deserved it. It was a tragic series of events that led to his unlawful murder by the cop.

This is a slippery slope. Bottom line the cop pulled the trigger, he is the one to blame.

I guess we can add not having a front plate and closing your car door to the list of things that can get you killed By a cop if you're black. I just saw the video now and holy shit. I'm just so appalled and pissed off.

My version of what I saw-

Guy tries to start the car after officer asks him to take his seatbelt off.
Cop yells stop and proceeds to execute the driver.
Car starts moving as engine was successfully started and deceased driver is sitting on accelerator somehow.
Officer was dragged after he shot the deceased in the head.

There was absolutely no justification to pull a gun and shoot the driver, none. Even IF he was about to drive off.

Don't forget the part where he starts going off about how the driver was trying to kill him via dragging him.

Even without knowing that the first shot was a killshot, the general reaction would still be "no shit you just shot at him point blank".

The cop no doubt had a right to instruct him to exit the vehicle....but he didn't. At no point did he TELL him to exit the vehicle.

So no, I don't think he had a right to just open the door. That was the catalyst for the entire altercation.

I mean technically yes he didn't ask him to exit the vehicle.. I've been asked to exit the vehicle like that too. When the police asks you to take off your seatbelt and starts opening the door it's quite obvious what they are asking.

I mean cops freak me right the fuck out. Having incidents as a younger punk in small towns and sometimes even in cities..

but i could never know the fear of being black and having police on me and god only knows what the victim was thinking when the cop tried to open the door.. feared for his life or just trying to get away. Either way the man shouldn't have died like that.

And it's obvious that the cop knew he fucked up since he tried to cover it up

THRILLH0

Banned
I was waiting for the driver to escalate the situation but it never happened.

I can't wrap my brain around a routine traffic stop turning into an execution. On what planet is starting your engine grounds for being shot in the head?

The victim blaming in this thread is horrendous. The "don't wear revealing clothing" comparison is apt.

This murderous asshole needs to be shot in the face in a similar manner.

If he has a conscience, he will realize it himself.

The fact that he chose to shoot the guy for not obeying fast enough, then tried to cover it up in the most cartoony way possible answers your question.

I was waiting for the driver to escalate the situation but it never happened.

I can't wrap my brain around a routine traffic stop turning into an execution. On what planet is starting your engine grounds for being shot in the head?

The victim blaming in this thread is horrendous. The "don't wear revealing clothing" comparison is apt.

Yeah the guy never escalated the situation to the point of execution. Maybe some poor choices but nothing for that to happen. Cop should rot in jail

No Love

Banned
Murder. Start charging the rest of them.

The scariest thing is that without the body camera, everyone would've believed this lying sack of shit's story.

Wiktor

WTF is going on with police lately in USA? Was it always like this and it just gets reported more nowadays thanks to body cams, smartphones etc? Or did this escalate for some reason recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom