• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cincinnati braces for footage release in campus cop killing (Up: Murder charge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeshakag

Wow, maybe this victim blaming is due to the fact that police violence culture is so ingrained into the U.S. that the goalposts have been subconsciously moved from "cops shouldn't kill people unless in urgent self defense" to "cops can shoot when spooked and it's justified."

People, a cop shouldn't fucking murder a person with a gun. It's not excusable. There is no situation unless he was being assaulted in which he could have tazed him, that he should have used his gun.

Its not. He shot him for a bad reason but its still a reason... not an excuse.

I think this is clearly outside police use of force protocols, but even saying that police use of force protocols are in bad need of adjustment.

What is the point of bringing it up the ? This is why people get so heated, because this isn't a situation that occurred in a vacuum. There is decades of history of things like this happening as people bending over backwards to excuse and defend the actions of the police. It's not necessary here. Bringing up what the guy could have done when he was shot in the head with zero provocation is completely unnecessary. The focus should be 100% on the guy who was just indicted for murder, not the victim of that murder.

Because that is what police are trained to do? Apprehend the suspect at all costs.

Next time you accidentally forget your drivers license at home when you go out to grab a burger, I assume you're going to be totally okay with being murdered by the cop that pulls you over.

"at all costs"? Really? For a traffic violation???

Kikujiro

Some of the posts here are unbelievable, in my country a case like this would lead to a national outrage, but luckily our cops don't shoot a driver (with reaised hands) in the head because he doesn't want to show his license.

An uncooperative driver during a traffic stop is a high stress situation? Lmao, wtf am I reading?

Saw the video on liveleak, seemed to be a perfectly normal traffic stop until the guy reached for his seatbelt...which he was ordered to do. Then the cop pop's him. I like how he tried to justify it later to dispatch by saying the dude tried to run him over, when he caused the car to accelerate by shooting the lone occupant.

riotous

Banned
Not that he deserved it but that it was his fault. That's what I'm taking from these posts.

Obviously they are also saying it was the cops fault. And that the murder itself was the cops fault.

The driver is at fault for being pulled over and violating the law; that's it. I agree it's not necessary to point out.. it's particularly tone deaf considering how rightfully angry this situation makes people... but it's not constructive to react the way many have reacted here.

Anyways, said my piece. RIP to the deceased, hope his family finds peace.

What is the point of bringing it up the ? This is why people get so heated, because this isn't a situation that occurred in a vacuum. There is decades of history of things like this happening as people bending over backwards to excuse and defend the actions of the police. It's not necessary here. Bringing up what the guy could have done when he was shot in the head with zero provocation is completely unnecessary. The focus should be 100% on the guy who was just indicted for murder, not the victim of that murder.

This is what people forget here as well. People ask why they get hit with accusations and forget or don't know that this shit has been going on since we've been here. People are tired of hearing this bullshit about "dude should've obeyed" or any other sliver of error the victim has.

Trey

It really highlights an individual's inability to empathize. I think some people in this world really are mentally incapable of putting themselves in another's shoes, so some perspectives are just never even available to them.

Or, arguably worse, they empathize with the person still alive.

Flo_Evans

Please look up "apprehend" in the dictionary.

Look if you don't think this over aggressive policing comes from police making "numbers" and issuing as many citations as possible IDK what to tell you.

Police have a "got to catch them all" mentality because a lot of smaller cities/governments are funded on traffic stops like this.

I clearly don't agree with the cop here. Whatever. I think we need to take a hard look at policing in the US but to just say lets focus on one side of the problem and ignore why this guy was a victim is absurd. How can we train police to better handle situations like this if we can't even talk about what lead up to it?

Look if you don't think this over aggressive policing comes from police making "numbers" and issuing as many citations as possible IDK what to tell you.

Police have a "got to catch them all" mentality because a lot of smaller cities/governments are funded on traffic stops like this.

I clearly don't agree with the cop here. Whatever. I think we need to take a hard look at policing in the US but to just say lets focus on one side of the problem and ignore why this guy was a victim is absurd. How can we train police to better handle situations like this if we can't even talk about what lead up to it?

I'm talking about this:

8tcAiSA.png

Shooting and killing a man is a failure to apprehend. He barely even attempted to apprehend him before he pulled his weapon.

zeshakag

This is what people forget here as well. People ask why they get hit with accusations and forget or don't know that this shit has been going on since we've been here. People are tired of hearing this bullshit about "dude should've obeyed" or any other sliver of error the victim has.

I can't understand the root cause for insistently bringing it up. People are going hard in the paint to justify stating these "could-haves" that go without saying.

I'm not missing anything; you can respond to that without calling people fucking idiots or having a competition for who can have the snarkiest reply.

Every post that people are claiming "blames the guy" outright states it was a murder, the cops fault, etc.

If someone outright stated they think it was the guy's fault I think they'd deserve the snarky angry responses; but nobody has done that here.
Not sure why twice you've quoted me with that "fucking idiot" line. I might be thinking it, but I haven't said it. People HAVE said both the victim and officer were idiots/stupid/at fault.

I'm not even sure why we're doing this..I was talking to two order people. Geezuz, Jesus!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
What kind of insane mindset you have to be to run after and shoot at someone who's clearly just trying to run away from you to avoid paying a fine for not having a driver's licence. What the hell is wrong with that cop. Just call the damn backup and follow the guy with your car.

This guy was a victim because he was black. The cop thought he was a dangerous thug and was so nervous by him making any sort of sudden movement that it caused him to discharge his weapon without being able to properly assess the situation.

riotous

Banned
Not sure why twice you've quoted me with that "fucking idiot" line. I might be thinking it, but I haven't said it. People HAVE said both the victim and officer were idiots/stupid/at fault.

I'm not even sure why we're doing this..I was talking to two order people. Geezuz, Jesus!

Well my comments weren't addressing one particular individual, or you in particular.

But convo has run it's course for sure lol.

ReAxion

What rule did the cop break? Part of the problem is they are given way to much power with "reasonable suspicion" "fear of safety" ect.

Telling the suspect to get out of the car without telling them the reason. Trying to open the door. Reaching into the car. Drawing his weapon. Firing his weapon. Lying on a police report.

You said earlier cops are trained to apprehend at all costs, so I know you know nothing about proper procedure.

Telling the suspect to get out of the car without telling them the reason. Trying to open the door. Reaching into the car. Drawing his weapon. Firing his weapon. Lying on a police report.

You said earlier cops are trained to apprehend at all costs, so I know you know nothing about proper procedure.

He didn't even do this.

Coins

Banned
Telling the suspect to get out of the car without telling them the reason. Trying to open the door. Reaching into the car. Drawing his weapon.

None of that is against the rules a cop has to follow. You don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Flo_Evans

Cops don't have to give you a reason to get out of the car.

Opening the door is somewhat sketchy but I am pretty sure would be allowed after cop found bottle of gin/piss/air freshener whatever. He has reasonable suspicion to search the car at that point.

Reaching in car to take keys = BAD
Shooting victim = BAD

Look this cop clearly did not want to lose his big collar for the week or whatever. That I think is the fundamental problem, cops is unwilling to take the L and let someone drive off.

Coins

Banned
I didn't think so, I didn't go back to review the recording to verify :(

In this instance, in order of occurrence, they are.

No, it's not. The cop has every right to detain the guy after he sees an open container. He doesn't have to ask nicely, he doesn't have to give you a reason. He can reach in and pull you out once he has decided there is a crime occuring.

No, it's not. The cop has every right to detain the guy after he sees an open container. He doesn't have to ask nicely, he doesn't have to give you a reason. He can reach in and pull you out once he has decided there is a crime occuring.

Is it police protocol to hand an open container back to a suspect?

He hadn't determined that, though. He actually seemed really disinterested in the bottle.

ReAxion

It is not proper procedure to reach into a car and pull someone out unless they are a threat to the officer's welfare and safety. He created that threat for himself reaching into the car, which is precisely why it's not proper procedure.

Rembrandt

Banned
"Hey, man, I get it! I totally do. Sometimes, cops just get stressed, pull their guns, and murder civilians. Completely understandable. Stress is a killer!"

We should start a gofundme to give all cops stress balls.

In their first post:

Nobody is claiming he deserved what happened in this thread.

Some people are certainly ignoring or missed that no direct order was given or disobeyed; but when you point that out along with anger and sarcasm it tends to put people on the defensive.

Put he is putting it all on the victim. It wasn't his fault. His actions didn't deserve death. Not having a license isn't a good reason to shoot. Starting your car isn't a good reason to shoot.

It also was not gin. Barton Gin is clear.

it actually looked like piss, lol.

Nafai1123

Banned
Wow back to the bottle defense, as if that gave the cop any right to force himself into the car without issuing any verbal instructions first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom