• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cincinnati braces for footage release in campus cop killing (Up: Murder charge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

riotous

Banned
*unscrew empty bottle. Fill with new liquid. Screw cap lid back on*

That's an "open container" by most laws on the subject.

"Opened container" would be a better way to describe how laws are written.

Either way the guy doesn't have a license, a cop can ask you to step out of the car for that.. the bigger problem is.. he didn't.. he opened the door and got physical with the guy for no reason.

I think the standard of an open container is generally if the seal is broken or not. At least in FL. No clue in Ohio. I know LA is pretty lax on that with their drive-thru daquari shops and whatnot with considering a container closed if the paper on top of the straw is intact.

But none of this matters anyway.

Buzzati

Banned
Wow back to the bottle defense, as if that gave the cop any right to force himself into the car without issuing any verbal instructions first.

I'm not defending anything. This is not defensible. Cool your britches. I just thought it was funny to point out.

Edit: Wait, what does the bottle have to do with this in any way, shape, or form?

Come on man. You don't know how open container laws work? This is some Dan Ryckert "What is a mortgage?" type shit.

Skeyser

The victim blaming in this thread is sad. Yeah the situation could have been avoided...if the cop wasn't so fucking trigger happy.

Garlador

Come on man. You don't know how open container laws work? This is some Dan Ryckert "What is a mortgage?" type shit.

I was being sarcastic...

... Though, my second sentence was more relevant... The bottle is COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY TO THE COP KILLING HIM.

It's like asking if the victim's eyes looked shifty or if his clothing looked "thuggish" or something. It's entirely pointless to the conversation and the crime committed.

Afrodium

Banned
I think some people in this thread are a bit confused. Let me break it down for you:

This cop shot a guy point blank in the fucking head because he resisted arrest for all of two seconds.

Either that fact is going over your head or you actually want to live in a police state.

funkypie

Banned
It just makes you think of how much of a power trip American cops are on. If I was a cop I'd let dumb shit like a traffic plate slide all the time.

I think some people in this thread are a bit confused. Let me break it down for you:

This cop shot a guy point blank in the fucking head because he resisted arrest for all of two seconds.

Either that fact is going over your head or you actually want to live in a police state.

It's easier to overlook this when you feel/know that you won't be in a similar situation. Some of us know this could happen to us at any given time for obvious reasons.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
That's an "open container" by most laws on the subject.

"Opened container" would be a better way to describe how laws are written.

Either way the guy doesn't have a license, a cop can ask you to step out of the car for that.. the bigger problem is.. he didn't.. he opened the door and got physical with the guy for no reason.

Ohio and most other states distinguish between open and previously opened. Previously opened are generally supposed to be transported in your trunk, but no one hardly ever gets charged for not doing that unless they're suspected of driving drunk. It's not an issue here.

Zing

Banned
I saw this yesterday but didn't realize until now that the cop actually shot him before he drove away. Shameful. Horrific. Unwarranted.

This officer needs to be locked up for life. This was premeditated murder.

Garlador

... I can't believe I just thought of this.

The car only drove away after the victim was shot. By shooting him, and having the corpse press the gas pedal, didn't the officer endanger anyone who could've been in the path of that vehicle? That was entirely his fault as well.

Jeremy

I've got my own opinions that I don't even want to discuss just because of how tense this thread is but I really want to know what people think about this.

Now that Tensing has pleaded not guilty and will see a trial, I'm 100% sure the jury will find him guilty of voluntary manslaughter. However, I'm curious what people think the jury will decide on the murder charge. Will they find him guilty? Even this thread alone proves how much of an impact cranking the car and attempting to drive off is having on people who almost seem to be condoning why Tensing made the decision to kill Dubose.

I'm mostly wondering from a legal perspective and the way these cases can play out with a good attorney, being an officer, code of silence, etc.

Posting this again because I'm genuinely curious what people think.

Armaros

Ohio and most other states distinguish between open and previously opened. Previously opened are generally supposed to be transported in your trunk, but no one hardly ever gets charged for not doing that unless they're suspected of driving drunk. It's not an issue here.

Notice how people are pulling all the stops to find the smallest reason why this victim is at fault for being shot in the head instead of the Cop that shot him and also conveniently ignoring how the Cop falsified his report.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Notice how people are pulling all the stops to find the smallest reason why this victim is at fault for being shot in the head instead of the Cop that shot him and that also falsified his report.

I'm actually shocked with all the lies this officer told that he didn't try to say the guy was drunk, or behaving drunk.

I'm actually shocked with all the lies this officer told that he didn't try to say the guy was drunk, or behaving drunk.

He did. His original story said when asking for DuBose's license he handed him an open bottle of liquor instead. Obviously the officer forgot he specifically asked to see the bottle.

Who

Banned
How can the good guys be bad? They just can't be, it does not fit my world view. You know, there must be a reason the good guys did wrong. In fact, if you examine things, that guy did something wrong. See? I knew the good guys did the right thing.

I did not come into this thread expecting a laugh, I'll be honest.

... I can't believe I just thought of this.

The car only drove away after the victim was shot. By shooting him, and having the corpse press the gas pedal, didn't the officer endanger anyone who could've been in the path of that vehicle? That was entirely his fault as well.
Yep. Had the car not veered to the left and got hung up on the curb it looks like it would have entered into an intersection. There were also parked cars on the same road that could have been hit.

I'm gonna post the Joe Rogan interview with Michael A. Wood, an ex-Baltimore cop who was also in the USMC and is now speaking out against police brutality. It's long but very interesting as he explains the mindset most cops are in and just how pathetic their training is. They are packed full of fear, given guns, and told to go catch the bad guys. The whole system is fucked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndg-JGmYryA

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Notice how people are pulling all the stops to find the smallest reason why this victim is at fault for being shot in the head instead of the Cop that shot him and also conveniently ignoring how the Cop falsified his report.
Even with the most damning, disturbing video evidence of actual murder (which was then covered up) these people still, somehow, defend the cop. Sad, and kind of scary. He literally executed someone for attempting to drive away from a traffic violation, and some people still find an explanation or reason. I can't even comprehend it.

Posting this again because I'm genuinely curious what people think.
I mean, there really isn't a definite answer. Most people watch the video, listen to the audio after the incident, and the story is over and done with. Pretty straight forward.

But like you said, there are people who will rationalize this thing to death, until they can find the shooting justifiable..and the officer isn't even paying them..who knows, dude.

Paraphrase; fuck clues, look at the reaction. Not the action that lead up to that. Everything but what I want to focus on is irrelevent. A man died because he simply didn't provide a license! He complied and the guy shot him because he was black. End of story.

The guys actions had consequences, he didn't shoot him upon finding out he had no license. He didn't shoot him or seem to care about the bottle of gin claimed to be air freshener. The guy DRIVING OFF while he's trying to detain him is THE REASON he opened fire. In a span of 2 seconds he made a choice to open fire while the guy was trying to take off WITH HIS ARM IN THE VEHICLE!

You're saying the events aren't important yet he was calm and frank with the driver up until he tried to flee. Again WITH HIS ARM in the car putting him in danger.

Did he open fire over the license, the display thing, the gin bottle OR the attemp to flee while being detained? Your logic implies that his actions had no result/outcome of the situation leading to deadly force. That's evidently nonsense.

He was starting his engine to not drive? Put it in drive to park? Yes, a car couldn't and doesn't ever result in injuries when operated recklessly! Great point.

I guess it's much easier to just go with: Holy fuck, hope the cop dies and rots in prison! He opened fire on him the moment he saw he was black!

1. The car moved only after he had been shot.

2. The officer put his arm into the car after the engine started.

3. When the officer was prepared to fire, the driver was trying to defend himself by covering his face.

4. Only when he was shot did the weight of his corpse cause the vehicle to accelerate.

And to sum it up - if we are talking about recklessness, we'll have to look at a cop putting himself into a position where he COULD be injured by a fleeing vehicle. If he jumped in front of a fleeing vehicle, is that the driver's fault? Technically yes, but the cop put himself in that position knowing full well what it would lead to. The cop wasn't stuck, the car wasn't moving while the cop was inside of the car in any way, and the only reason he shot him was to prevent him from fleeing (which is not a justified reason to shoot - you can't shoot someone who tries to flee from you on the presumption that they may hurt someone).

Opto

Banned
I've got my own opinions that I don't even want to discuss just because of how tense this thread is but I really want to know what people think about this.

Now that Tensing has pleaded not guilty and will see a trial, I'm 100% sure the jury will find him guilty of voluntary manslaughter. However, I'm curious what people think the jury will decide on the murder charge. Will they find him guilty? Even this thread alone proves how much of an impact cranking the car and attempting to drive off is having on people who almost seem to be condoning why Tensing made the decision to kill Dubose.

I'm mostly wondering from a legal perspective and the way these cases can play out with a good attorney, being an officer, code of silence, etc.

Well the defense will bring up anything from Dubose's history to make him seem dangerous, and dish out dog whistle words "He was wearing all red, a known gang color" and shit like that.

Difference here is that the prosecutor actually seems determined to get a guilty verdict, as opposed to other times a killer cop's actions have been brought to the justice system (Darren Wilson wasn't indicted on anything from a grand jury), usually by the prosector's own machinations.

Though it may be an uphill battle depending on the jury. If they've swallowed the story that cops lives are always at risk and should be able to act defensively no matter what, in addition to believing that Tensing thought he was in mortal danger (believing you're in danger=being in danger justifies too many inexcusable actions unfortunately), it could be a difficult case, despite it clear that it shouldn't

Flo_Evans

Minimum age on GAF is 13, bruh.

So you think police are told to just let people escape?

Police have quotas.

Police have to fill out reports.

Police have to listen to their cop buddies make fun of them for letting people get away.

Until the police force is changed from a revenue stream to public protection the emphasis will be on "getting the bad guy".

Nelo Ice

Banned
I don't understand. My friend and his family are on the cops side. They think Dubose wasn't following authority so his murder was justified since he was defending himself.

zeshakag

Police have quotas.

Police have to listen to their cop buddies make fun of them for letting people get away.

Until the police force is changed from a revenue stream to public protection the emphasis will be on "getting the bad guy".

Before I accuse you of using a false dichotomy, I will say I agree with you on this. But there are ways to apprehend people without murdering them.

Police have quotas.

Oh, so what you're saying is that it's okay to kill people because otherwise the cops will get teased.

Cops' feelings > black lives

It always comes down to this. I have a relative who talks about how she can understand why otherwise good cops defend bad cops - because the system punishes them for doing anything else. This is an EXCUSE, not a justification.

I don't understand. My friend and his family are on the cops side. They think Dubose wasn't following authority so his murder was justified since he was defending himself.

It's easy to side with the cop when you choose to view the events through a lens of bias, cop worship, and disdain for the life of someone that is not you. I mean, Dubose should have known that the officer was going to reach into his car. He should have just sat there and said yes boss. Anything other than the utmost respect and obedience by a citizen such as Dubose warrants that.

*takes lens off*

People have no sense of empathy or sympathy for those they do not value. It is sad to see

lol no.

Stop looking for people to argue with. I am saying this is the current police mentality and it is WRONG.

Okay. So the current police mentality is to murder, and he was just doing his job.

Well fuck that. If you want to do your job in such a way that gets people unlawfully killed, you get to go to jail for the rest of your life. That sounds like an awesome plan. If you're so concerned with job security that you look at black corpses like a source of revenue, maybe you're a dangerous human being

zeshakag

Oh, so what you're saying is that it's okay to kill people because otherwise the cops will get teased.

Cops' feelings > black lives

It always comes down to this. I have a relative who talks about how she can understand why otherwise good cops defend bad cops - because the system punishes them for doing anything else. This is an EXCUSE, not a justification.

That is exactly the opposite of what the person is saying. He's just stating an observation. He's on your side.

Nelo Ice

Banned
It's easy to side with the cop when you choose to view the events through a lens of bias, cop worship, and disdain for the life of someone that is not you. I mean, Dubose should have known that the officer was going to reach into his car. He should have just sat there and said yes boss. Anything other than the utmost respect and obedience by a citizen such as Dubose warrants that.

*takes lens off*

People have no sense of empathy or sympathy for those they do not value. It is sad to see
Also now being told that it's isolated incidents since the USA is huge and cops are in the right if they feel threatened to bring out the gun. Then if necessary it's jusitifed to kill. And of course minorities should stop being scared and acting guilty if a cop stops them.

zeshakag

Might have been said earlier in the thread, but thank god for body cameras.

I think now that body cameras are becoming a thing, we're going to be seeing another "wrong side of history" air of ignorance to be associated with these people. As more and more videos of this come out, more and more will people realize that those supporting the cop in instances identical in nature to these are just doing so because as someone said above, they only have empathy for people they value. IE-> These people are ignorant shitheads.

Might be a couple decades though.

The sad thing is, if Dubose got out of the car as soon as the cop approached, the cop could have still shot him dead and claimed he was intimidated by him.

I think body cameras have, among other things, the awesome value of making it apparent that cops didn't become better than they were in the 60s, they just became better at hiding their behaviour.

ReAxion

Jurisdictions that place limits on pursuits have seen decreases in crime rates and bystander & driver fatalities, including Phoenix, Orlando, and Dallas. Yes, those police are told to let people escape.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I give up they're not gonna listen. I can't fathom that they think all these shootings are isolated and justified. I'm presenting all the evidence and nothing :(. My friend even thinks every recent shooting the victim deserved it for subverting authority or another reason.

zeshakag

I give up they're not gonna listen. I can't fathom that they think all these shootings are isolated and justified. I'm presenting all the evidence and nothing :(. My friend even thinks every recent shooting the victim deserved it for subverting authority or another reason.

Just goes to show how deeply ingrained this stuff is for people.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Same. Has there been a toxicology report for Dubose?

I have to imagine there was. I think had he been drunk there would not be any charges against the officer. I think the argument could be made that a drunk driver is a clear threat to the community and shooting him as he was about to flee would be justified. But nothing in the video even suggested the officer thought he was drunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom