• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cincinnati braces for footage release in campus cop killing (Up: Murder charge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HariKari

Correct, large campuses need them. They're necessary. Not sure why this cop decided to pull someone over outside his jurisdiction. No front plate is the most minor ass thing next to a broken tail light. Absolutely senseless.

University police tend to act in the best interests of the university, not necessarily the law.

I am suddenly convince the charge doesn't matter because this is no longer a cop, it's a 'campus cop'.

Don't worry, the reasons why this isn't a real cop and doesn't reflect on 'real cops' will shortly be spammed at us by talking heads.

LiK

University police tend to act in the best interests of the university, not necessarily the law.

I have a friend who was a campus cop before he became a cop. They provide security for the students and also need to deal with assholes at night during patrols around campus. They do very similar things.

Vastag

As a non-american, I'm a bit baffled with unis having their own police, why is this? Can't the city police take care of the uni? Are they only security guards and not real police?

Correct, large campuses need them. They're necessary. Not sure why this cop decided to pull someone over outside his jurisdiction. No front plate is the most minor ass thing next to a broken tail light. Absolutely senseless.

Yeah definitely agreed. From my experience, campus police jurisdiction extends around a few hundred to a thousand feet from the edge of campus. Helpful because that usually includes many off-campus student living complexes. So if it was on an adjacent road, it would make sense for the campus pd to make a stop.

But again, all other aspects of this situation is clear murder. Absolutely baffling.

quickwhips

I am suddenly convince the charge doesn't matter because this is no longer a cop, it's a 'campus cop'.

Don't worry, the reasons why this isn't a real cop and doesn't reflect on 'real cops' will shortly be spammed at us by talking heads.

campus cops at least in my state are trained at state police academy and are real cops. If you have a gun assigned to you and you can write tickets your a cop.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
So, are cops trained to lie on their reports when things get a little dirty? Both the killer and his partner lied pretty blatantly here. Will his partner face punishment as well?

Edit: I don't think I'll ever believe anything in a police report again if it contradicts a potential victim's statement.

sphagnum

Banned
As a non-american, I'm a bit baffled with unis having their own police, why is this? Can`t the city police take care of the uni?

Parking violation tickets, school shootings (look up the Virginia Tech massacre), drunk students being rowdy, etc.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Or he was turning the car off and preparing to push the door open so he could get out and comply. We don't know. Just no reason for the officer to provoke and respond like that. None.
It actually looks like the cop starts to open the door, and he puts his hand on the door to stop it from opening.

Not defending the cop or trying to justify his action (which was very clearly a murder).

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Damn that escalated quickly. Like some have said he did put the car in drive, but within seconds the officer has already fired the shot.

Not defending the officer, but the guy must have put the car in drive before he got shot.

It's like the prosecutor said: just let him drive off and take the next action. Whether that's pursuit, calling in backup, calling in local PD, whatever. Him driving off is irrelevant to the use of a firearm if his life really wasn't in danger.

I'm interested to hear what the cop's defense will be. Obviously it was not self defense, and I doubt he'd argue insanity. If anything, he might argue there was no intent (?!) and get it dropped to manslaughter or some other lesser charge, but that would be a stretch. He pretty much has to accept a plea bargain if offered.

Maybe he can use the ol "I saw him reach for something", although that won't get around his lie and I don't think he tried using that as an excuse in his original statement.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
So, are cops trained to lie on their reports when things get a little dirty? Both the killer and his partner lied pretty blatantly here. Will his partner face punishment as well?
When there's a complete lack of accountability and the guys who are supposed to check you are also corrupt as fuck, this is what you end up with

Where's patrol to tell us how this shooting was justified?

I don't get what was to be accomplished? What was the cop going to do by reaching in? Drag the guy out of the car? And then why did he need to shoot him? What was he neutralizing? What a fucking psychopath. He was ready to shoot before he shot. Lock that fucker up for life.

Vastag

Parking violation tickets, school shootings (look up the Virginia Tech massacre), drunk students being rowdy, etc.

But are they real police or only security guards? Why the citiy police department doesn't take care of the uni? It sounds really strange to me.

carlsojo

This is totally aside from the incident at hand, but:
I went to UC, trust me, we needed our own cops patrolling the streets around campus. I got an email once a week from campus security telling us about students being mugged right off campus. These robberies and crimes weren't happening at 3 am all the time either, they were happening in broad daylight.

But are they real police or only security guards? Why the citiy police department doesn't take care of the uni? It sounds really strange to me.

If we had to wait for the city cops to show up, we'd be waiting a while. UC cops are there 24/7 and they do a lot to make the students feel safe when they're walking home from night classes or to and from the bars.

ReAxion

Could be, he could have had foot on brakes the whole time. Doesn't really matter though. Cop did not even threaten him to get out of the car. He is still guilty as hell.

Also yeah, resistance I meant isn't really that bad. He seems like he didn't want the cop to have his keys which is totally valid.

I didn't notice brake lights.

Because they're defending the officer.

Being that it's hard to tell when (for me, if) the car moved at all, I'm looking to condemn the officer. If the car was never in park, it idled forward.

quickwhips

Edit: I don't think I'll ever believe anything in a police report again if it contradicts a potential victim's statement.

Do you have a link to the police report?

As a non-american, I'm a bit baffled with unis having their own police, why is this? Can't the city police take care of the uni? Are they only security guards and not real police?
American university campuses are often much larger than those in the UK/Europe, have major through-roads, and interweave with non-campus properties (both commercial and residential).

The university I work at has its own department. They operate and are trained exactly the same way as real police; it's just that their jurisdiction largely falls over campus areas and they mostly deal with traffic and parking violations.

USC-fan

Banned
Is there a better video than the one posted on YouTube.? Thats the best we got?

These police body cams are garage. You can't really see or hear anything.

It actually looks like the cop starts to open the door, and he puts his hand on the door to stop it from opening.

Not defending the cop or trying to justify his action (which was very clearly a murder).

I think a pertinent point is that, even if the car was stolen, even if the driver was drunk, even if the driver didn't have a license--the cop's life was not in danger. Dubose could have well broken the law in some way, but it doesn't justify a bullet to the head.

kirblar

A cop is a cop is a cop. They're full-fledged police where I went to school. (GMU)

Damn that escalated quickly. Like some have said he did put the car in drive, but within seconds the officer has already fired the shot.

There's absolutely no proof of this. In fact, the better explanation is that he just never put his car into park, and him being shot resulted in his foot sliding off the brake, propelling his car forward. Watching the video, there's no indication of his shifting into park->drive or drive->park, suggesting it was always in drive. However, if he did shift, it probably was at 0:50 in the Youtube video, either way really, it's irrelevant.

I didn't notice brake lights.
The back of the car is never shown until it has already crashed.

See 0:45s in the Youtube video if you actually believe this. I believe it'll convince you that this did not happen.

It's really important to note that police can't shoot people in the head for speeding away during traffic stops. That's important because whether the guy put the car in drive or intended to drive away is not going to be clear, but it's irrelevant. What is relevant is the fact the officer was not in immediate danger when he fired the gun, and that's all we need to know.

Arcia

Banned
I'm squeamish, so can someone tell me if the video has gore in it? I want to confirm what happened, but I don't want to see someone get a hole in their head :(

HariKari

Some American universities are the size of a big town, 30,000+, with the property to match. Plus a lot of people live on or right next to the campus.

I'm squeamish, so can someone tell me if the video has gore in it? I want to confirm what happened, but I don't want to see someone get a hole in their head :(

No gore.

riotous

Banned

Campuses represent a large concentration of people, including a lot of underage drinkers.

Many of these PDs aren't just for the campus but the surrounding houses and businesses (often including several bars since most university districts have a night life of sorts)

Even if you just let the cities police handle it they'd likely need a precinct right by the Campuses in their city anyways.

It's a rather insignificant difference.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
There's absolutely no proof of this. In fact, the better explanation is that he just never put his car into park, and him being shot resulted in his foot sliding off the brake, propelling his car forward. Watching the video, there's no indication of his shifting into park->drive or drive->park, suggesting it was always in drive.

Yup yup.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I think a pertinent point is that, even if the car was stolen, even if the driver was drunk, even if the driver didn't have a license--the cop's life was not in danger. Dubose could have well broken the law in some way, but it doesn't justify a bullet to the head.
Without a doubt. There is no reason he should have ever even unholstered his weapon in this stop.

It's really important to note that police can't shoot people in the head for speeding away during traffic stops. That's important because whether the guy put the car in drive or intended to drive away is not going to be clear, but it's irrelevant. What is relevant is the fact the officer was not in immediate danger when he fired the gun, and that's all we need to know.

Even if the police could do that it still wouldn't matter here because the video shows that the car didn't move until after the shooting.

sad part is I doubt he went into the stop with the intent to kill but the perfect blend of idiocy, adrenaline, and straight up lack of professionalism led to it

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Seems like the cop escalated things by reaching in the car then. Flips out when there's resistence, and pops some off.

heyf00L

Could be, he could have had foot on brakes the whole time. Doesn't really matter though. Cop did not even threaten him to get out of the car. He is still guilty as hell.

Also yeah, resistance I meant isn't really that bad. He seems like he didn't want the cop to have his keys which is totally valid.
Sorry why does that matter again?

He could have been putting his car into mach 3 hyperdrive, not really much of a concern, it simply explains why the car moved AFTER HE WAS ALREADY SHOT IN THE HEAD.

It could easily be part of the officer's defense. It'd be a legal killing if he can argue that letting him flee was an imminent danger to the public. Earlier in the video Dubose passed him a Gin bottle. If the officer can argue that he reasonably thought Dubose was intoxicated and had shifted into drive, that could be a defense.

Whether that actually happened or not, the car not being in park is relevant.

geardo

So can we have meaningful police reform now America? Body cameras are starting to become more commonplace, but that's hardly the place to call it a day. RIP to the victim. I hope the murderer gets life.

Coolluck

I said in the other thread that I was waiting for the video before forming my opinion. This was an indefensible murder.

There's absolutely no proof of this. In fact, the better explanation is that he just never put his car into park, and him being shot resulted in his foot sliding off the brake, propelling his car forward. Watching the video, there's no indication of his shifting into park->drive or drive->park, suggesting it was always in drive.
Pretty sure cops are supposed to tell the driver to put the vehicle in park, to ask them to move slowly for things like their license or seatbelt, and not to just reach into the vehicle themselves.

This cop obviously did none of that. He was fucking up even before he panicked and murdered someone in a heartbeat.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I can't believe the focus in this thread on (a) the fact that he was a campus cop (or why there is a need for a campus cop) and (b) whether or not the guy was going to accelerate and drive away.

Seriously?

It's like the prosecutor said: just let him drive off and take the next action. Whether that's pursuit, calling in backup, calling in local PD, whatever. Him driving off is irrelevant to the use of a firearm if his life really wasn't in danger.
Absolutely. And holy hell at the people asking why details are relevant. Details provide potential insight into the thought process that resulted in murder.

It could easily be part of the officer's defense. It'd be a legal killing if he can argue that letting him flee was an imminent danger to the public. Earlier in the video Dubose passed him a Gin bottle. If the officer can argue that he reasonably thought Dubose was intoxicated and had shifted into drive, that could be a defense.
Are you kidding me.

"The driver had a closed gin bottle, didn't show me his license, and looked like he was about to drive away, so obviously he had to die."

Nothing short of the driver pulling a gun of his own would justify what is shown on this tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom