• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cincinnati braces for footage release in campus cop killing (Up: Murder charge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Africanus

Thanks for posting. So from what I can see...

-Guy closes his door, says he's not getting out.
-Cop reaches for keys
-Guy floors it (?)
-A split second (literally half a second) the cop grabbed his gun and shot the guy in the face

If the cop was dragged like he said he was, it was for no more than a second it seemed. I can't believe how fast everything happened. Is that what looks like happened?

I thought the man stepped on the acceleration as an involuntary response to being shot.

HariKari

zrt8H9.gif

The gif is damning. Driver isn't even moving or being threatening. Cop just goes after him.

Gif of shooting
zrt8H9.gif

The slower speed of the gif helps see things better. Cop reaches in with left arm, presumably to try to pull the key out of the ignition, driver jerks back, presumably because he saw the gun or just didn't expect the cop to get in there, and cop shoots.

There does not appear to be any struggle/fight/etc.

RangerX

Banned
Every University I know of has one. They're real police: they go through the same academy, training, and licensing. They're state police with a focus on the campus. Campuses are in a lot of ways like a town unto themselves. What's weird about that?

I'm not American. I know they're real police thats what makes it so weird. Not one university in my country has an armed police force on campus. Or and unarmed one for that matter. Thats a policeman there for stamping forms and stuff like that but thats it.

Brinbe

He didn't do a fucking thing and then less than a minute later he's dead. All because of this fucking idiot of a murderer. In fact it seemed like he was scared of the cop

Thank Jeebus for that body cam footage or nothing would have happened and the police would have gotten away with falsifying all the information about this incident, which is even more disgusting.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
I'm amazed that the people in power are asking us to trust a system that is constantly failing minorities and low income individuals.

The government needs to stop killing minorities and telling us to STFU about it.

Failing? Try targeting and murdering. Let's not mince words.

MIMIC

Banned
Oh, so the cop reached into the car. It was hard to tell what happened since everything transpired so quickly.

Hazmat

This is fucked up. Murdered in broad daylight in a neighborhood. I'd like to see dashcam footage, but this is damning on its own.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
So the victim must have been ready to drive off since the car was put in drive? Then moves forward due to him losing control of the car (since he's dead)? Absolutely no reason to draw on him nonetheless.

ezrarh

Pretty much what I gathered...
- Guy gets pulled over
- Refuses to get out of car
- Cop reaches for keys
- Guy resists
- Cop shoots guy during struggle
- Car goes forward due to him probably being KO'd

Yep ... he guilty.

The sad thing is - there WILL be people who will say that the guy shouldn't have resisted and not have been shot if he had just got out of the car. As if that's ever justification for murder.

kirby_fox

Banned
Anyone remember the show Campus PD? Wasn't that set at the U of Cincinnati? Wonder if this guy was on there.

Thanks for posting. So from what I can see...

-Guy closes his door, says he's not getting out.
-Cop reaches for keys
-Guy floors it (?)
-A split second (literally half a second) the cop grabbed his gun and shot the guy in the face

If the cop was dragged like he said he was, it was for no more than a second it seemed. I can't believe how fast everything happened. Is that what looks like happened?

Watched it twice. It looks to me like Dubose isn't even moving away from the cop, he's just resisting not coming out. When the cop puts his hand into the car it looks like the gun is already drawn (probably why Dubose seems to freak out quickly) and by then the cop had shot him. As the prosecutor said before the video, we hear the car taking off because the man's body had slumped forward.

He's never dragged nor does the car seem to ever be in motion until after he was shot.

The defense will likely try to get Manslaughter as the charge and say the gun going off was not intentional and in the struggle, the gun went off. Not sure how well that defense will do, since there was no reason for the gun to be drawn in the situation he was in.

Hoping the call for peaceful protest stays true. I have to leave for the area in about 30 minutes.

Yep, it's very clear from this video. He shoots him in the head first and then the car speeds forward from the man's dead body.

I am simply speechless.

How does it go from "take your seat belt off" to *shooting you in the head* in 2 seconds.

What the fuck.
Not defending the officer, but the guy must have put the car in drive before he got shot.

ultrazilla

It may have already been brought up but this is a University Campus Police Officer. Not a city police officer. Generally campus police stay on campus and aren't allowed to patrol off property. However, there are campuses that allow their officers to patrol city streets (with the blessing of the city) near their campus which I don't agree with. IMHO, campus police should not be allowed off their property.

Video is horrible. It was a straight up execution.

The sad thing is - there WILL be people who will say that the guy shouldn't have resisted and not have been shot if he had just got out of the car. As if that's ever justification for murder.

Honestly I don't even know if you could qualify what happened here as resisting.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I'm interested to hear what the cop's defense will be. Obviously it was not self defense, and I doubt he'd argue insanity. If anything, he might argue there was no intent (?!) and get it dropped to manslaughter or some other lesser charge, but that would be a stretch. He pretty much has to accept a plea bargain if offered.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Looks like DuBose was trying to keep the cop from opening the door with his left hand and shifting the car into drive with his right.

No reason at all to shoot someone point blank in the head.

I'm not American. I know they're real police thats what makes it so weird. Not one university in my country has an armed police force on campus. Or and unarmed one for that matter. Thats a policeman there for stamping forms and stuff like that but thats it.

Campuses can have tens of thousands of people on it at any given time. Some do just rely on local police for support and maybe a basic security operation if they are small enough.

But campuses with that many people? They have a duty to ensure some level of security. Having the police right on campus that are trained specifically on the campus helps with that given the complexities of many schools.

HariKari

Looks like DuBose was trying to keep the car from opening the door with his left hand and shifting the car into drive with his right.

No reason at all to shoot someone point blank in the head.

Or he was turning the car off and preparing to push the door open so he could get out and comply. We don't know. Just no reason for the officer to provoke and respond like that. None.

I've seen a lot of bad shooting videos but this one, the kid in the park, and the guy getting shot in the back as he runs away take the cake.

Being honest, I really couldn't see shit from that video. Everything happened way too fast. Is that the only footage? Was really shaky.
The big takeaway here was that the guy got his brains blown out for no reason. Imagine if cops went to "shoot in head" mode for similarly minor provocations? The video may be shaky but it's not like the guy was reaching for an AK47 or something.

Not defending the officer, but the guy must have put the car in drive before he got shot.
Could be, he could have had foot on brakes the whole time. Doesn't really matter though. Cop did not even threaten him to get out of the car. He is still guilty as hell.

Also yeah, resistance I meant isn't really that bad. He seems like he didn't want the cop to have his keys which is totally valid.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Campuses can have tens of thousands of people on it at any given time. Some do just rely on local police for support and maybe a basic security operation if they are small enough.

But campuses with that many people? They have a duty to ensure some level of security. Having the police right on campus that are trained specifically on the campus helps with that given the complexities of many schools.

Pretty much. I would WANT my kid's school to have its own police force if that's an option. I'd rather have too many cops protecting my kid than too few. What happened here has nothing to do with who employed the murderer.

LiK

Correct, large campuses need them. They're necessary. Not sure why this cop decided to pull someone over outside his jurisdiction. No front plate is the most minor ass thing next to a broken tail light. Absolutely senseless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom