• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization: Beyond Earth |OT| - The Future of Mankind

chixdiggit

The skill tree just suck, no point in making in like a spider web when the condittion of winning is much more about just focsing on 1 branch only.

Completely disagree. I love the new spider web. Once I figured out what I was looking at and how the filters work I find it much easier to use than the branches.

wagamer

Any idea why I can't launch the mantle mode? I get an error with a title "Mantle Initialization Failed" and a message saying the problem is either an unsupported card or old drivers. My card is R9 280 and the drivers just updated to v14.10.

Edit: Nevermind, I had to update the driver through CC, for some reason AMD driver website gave me an older version.

This game needs tool tips with flavor text on the buildings. To have the crazy sci fi names to only be contextualized with stats kinda kills some of the fun and investment in the setting.

How well does this work with touch screens. Anybody playing on a Surface Pro 2?

I just tried it on my Surface 1 to check it out...seems like the game runs well enough, but touch only acts like the mouse cursor...so no touch-centric controls live Civ V. Why would they strip that out?

Playing with a mod that reduces base trade routes per trade depot to 1 and gets rid of the extra trade route at autofactory. The trade routes you do have are powerful, and it seems the game is way better balanced this way.

For the Contact victory, I have nothing left to explore and I miss one of the two Progenitor Signal. I have no idea how to get the second one. Am I screwed ?

For the Contact victory, I have nothing left to explore and I miss one of the two Progenitor Signal. I have no idea how to get the second one. Am I screwed ?

You'll need to research the technology that enables Deep Space Telescopes and build and lauch a few of them to get the second part of the signal.

Violet_0

Banned
You'll need to research the technology that enables Deep Space Telescopes and build and lauch a few of them to get the second part of the signal.

there are actually three ways to get the Signal tower or whatever it is called. Read the victory conditions in the encyclopedia, guys

Any word on a World/Planet Editor? I loved building and playing my worlds in Civ V. I have so many cool ideas for Beyond Earth.

GPsych

I can't this game to work. It'll maybe play for 3 to 5 minutes before crashing. I've tried every setting available and it always happens. The screen suddenly becomes black and then the music comes back on but no image. I have a GTX 660, so it shouldn't be having problems (I even turned everything to low). Any ideas or am I going to have to just wait for a patch? All drivers are updated.

Do most Civ game launch feeling kinda bare? This game feels like a big step back from Civ 5. How is that possible? (I'm also not talking about all the added Civ5 DLC).

They need to set up a better way to manage trade routes.

The map looks the same all the time. Just a blob of purple and green colors.

You can barely see the miasma because of all the purple and green colors.

They need to add another view or something that just lets you see your units/buildings clearly.

All the civs are boring and so are their AI. They don't feel different enough. No character. But I guess your affinities are what really matter now.

Can anyone tell me what favors do?

Quests should be presented and explained better. The only time I know I have a quest is when it pops up that I failed or completed one.

Is there not a system in place similar to eras?

A lot of things just make the game feel like I'm just going forward without any direction. Could be my fault.

Enjoying the game so far I guess.

Do most Civ game launch feeling kinda bare? This game feels like a big step back from Civ 5. How is that possible? (I'm also not talking about all the added Civ5 DLC).

They need to set up a better way to manage trade routes.

The map looks the same all the time. Just a blob of purple and green colors.

You can barely see the miasma because of all the purple and green colors.

They need to add another view or something that just lets you see your units/buildings clearly.

All the civs are boring and so are their AI. They don't feel different enough. No character. But I guess your affinities are what really matter now.

Quests should be presented and explained better. The only time I know I have a quest is when it pops up that I failed or completed one.

Is there not a system in place similar to eras?

A lot of things just make the game feel like I'm just going forward without any direction. Could be my fault.

Enjoying the game so far I guess.

This seems to be the fairly regular Civ pattern. We get used to the expanded feature set and polished aspects of the previous game + the expansions, and then the new one drops and it seems barebones in comparison. As for the list...

1. Agreed. It needs to be part of the main set of icons rather than the expanded ones.

2 & 3. A new miasma effect would be welcome, but you could just switch the biome during setup.

4. Haven't really had any trouble with that, but it'd be nice.

5. Agreed. Currently, they're all a little samey. It gets better once they start racking up affinity points, but the AI is super slow about it for some reason.

6. Favors are a sort of diplomatic currency. They raise the AI's willingness to go along with whatever deal you're proposing, and refusing to honor your chits is a great way to really piss them off.

7. I just make it part of my playstyle to check the quest tab frequently, but yeah, a more visible notification isn't a bad idea.

8. Nnnnope. I guess you could count Affinity levels as a sort of ersatz, but it's not really as well defined.

bjaelke

DNfxmp3.gif

They're basically just another type of resource that can be traded back to the same faction.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Stupid question I bet, but being new to the two monitor set up, why is one of my screens totally blank and not showing the desktop where I am not playing the game?

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Quite buggy, but I'm really loving it so far. I went Harmony/Knowledge as my main focus in my first playthrough, and got a transcendence victory.

Couple crappy things that really stood out:
-I agreed to declare war through an ally partnership, and I never actually attacked the person. However, that enemy AI ended up giving me one of their big cities in a peace treaty, which seemed much too generous. I had experienced that before with an AI I was actually at war with, but I didn't believe I was strong enough to take the city they ended up giving me.
-Annex/Puppet a city near someone and they'll be pissed at you for settling near their lands.

-I agreed to declare war through an ally partnership, and I never actually attacked the person. However, that enemy AI ended up giving me one of their big cities in a peace treaty, which seemed much too generous. I had experienced that before with an AI I was actually at war with, but I didn't believe I was strong enough to take the city they ended up giving me.

Haha, same thing happened to me. Found it kinda strange as well.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I didn't think it was possible for a Firaxis game to release more barebones than base Civ5.

I'm very disappointed in this release. Honestly, I expected better from Firaxis.

The user interface is clumsy to use, unappealing to look at and devoid of flavour... when you have a future tech and science fiction as your inspiration, surely you can come up with something that better fits the theme and atmosphere? Why are some fonts tiny and some inexplicably big? Why is everything a monochrome abstracted icon? When a wonder is only represented by a grey icon that appears similar to the ten laboratories I just built, I'm not exactly feeling a sense of wonder and accomplishment. And the map just looks like a muddy mess with faintly visible miasma punishing you for not squinting enough.

And do I really have to assign 3 trade routes per colony manually every so often? After good colony expansion, that becomes tedious busywork.It was bad when it was half a dozen in Civ V but now it's a magnitude worse (why can't I automatically repeat routes?) Speaking of trading routes, why are they are insanely overpowered? Is that a design choice I'm not understanding?

I'm also baffled by how devoid of personality the factions are. I love getting spammed by their canned approval/denounciation of some random thing I did, especially when several espouse the same message, making them blend together even more.

Sad to see see such an uninspired effort carry Sid Meier's name.

g23

European pre-madonna
Anyone know if firaxis are coming out with scenarios for this game? That's what I enjoyed most about civilization games.

Loofy

First game and I randomly got the loss screen and I didnt even get the history graph that you usually get from pass civ games. My last save was 20 turns back so Im not sure what happened... :/

This release seems.. rushed. Feels less complete compared to Civ 5.

Dylan

You have missed it

When you choose your sponsor, select Advanced Setup in the upper right corner. You can edit like shown in the screen shot. Here you can also make the same chnages as in Civ,, like Frenzied Aliens (equivalent of Raging Barbarians, but with how the alines are in the game, much more fun)

Thank you!

Arcoril

And do I really have to assign 3 trade routes per colony manually every so often? After good colony expansion, that becomes tedious busywork.It was bad when it was half a dozen in Civ V but now it's a magnitude worse (why can't I automatically repeat routes?) Speaking of trading routes, why are they are insanely overpowered? Is that a design choice I'm not understanding?

Seriously. This is one of those things where I just thought I was missing something in the interface. And trading does seem overpowered. It's basically the only way that I'm able to keep my energy in the positive. And since it's so powerful and so integral to having a good economy, it's even more baffling that there's no way to automate it. Forcing us to do it by hand is tedious and adds nothing to the game.

Are there any playstyles that let me completely ignore trading as a source of income? The busywork is annoying enough that I'm considering restarting with a new setup.

munroe

Just been playing the demo; which consists of 100 turns, one civ (can't remember the name) and either the pioneering starting tech or a marine. I liked it, though some things kinda bugged me.

Aliens, especially at the start seem really powerful. My starting city was on a peninsular and just a few tiles south of me were about 10 alien forces and an alien worm, pretty much disallowing me from using a worker before I got the repel barrier and /or amassed some marines to keep them at bay.

When I right click somewhere but hold it down, the game sometimes doesn't recognise I'm still holding down the button and the unit moves, this can be annoying as sometimes I'll hold the button down to see how many turns it will be to move to that point, but because they've just suddenly moved, wasted turn.

The level upgrades don't seem particularly exciting, in Civ V you could choose between terrain modifiers, extra strikes, etc but with the marine it just seems an increase in strength or 50hp healed, is this the same for the rest of the units?

Serandur

I didn't think it was possible for a Firaxis game to release more barebones than base Civ5.
Firaxis have adopted the EA business model? :(

I still haven't played the game too much, but I'm a little upset that I can't seem to view my demographics like in Civ V (as in actual population, GNP, landmass, not even year). So yeah, I find the UI a bit lacking as well. The game also overwhelmingly feels like a Civ V expansion/mod/skin than a truly separate game and it just seems so blatantly obvious they intend to sell us the rest of the game in DLC again. The factions couldn't be more boring, as well. Also, to shake the Civ V mod feel a bit as well as reflect the game's newer age, I wouldn't have minded if if looked a bit better with the option of some higher resolution assets and the ability to zoom in further. Frankly, I just really want more detail to admire the world and my cities in. I also kept myself mostly in the dark before release to keep everything a surprise, but I'm rather disappointed in just how similar the playstyle is to Civ V. I expected more cool space-stuff, interplanetary interactions, stuff like that.

On the positive side, I like the change of scenery, the tech tree seems different (a little lost in it, which is nice as a long-time Civ fan), Alien units and environments (like miasma) require different precautions, and I'm sure I'll still have fun with the game, but maybe I should jave waited until a bigger sale or an expansion. I don't like being milked, but Civ is one of the few series I historically loved and still continues to get sequels.

Alchemy

Something that is bothering me is I have no idea how the hell I am losing. No game recap screen, and the 'Just one more turn' button is blacked out. What the fuck is going on?

And so far with Transcendence, the best I've gotten is about 30 turns away from building the Mind Flower. Ping ponging around techs to build up my Harmony level takes forever.

SRG01

So I finished a Transcendence victory last night, but... no end-game stats?! What on earth, Firaxis!!

Also, has anyone come up with a way to handle Health in the early game? There's no Limit Growth option that I can find, and my early game Virtue/Science are suffering because of it. And unlike Civ5, there doesn't seem to be many early-game options to manage Health.

I'm very disappointed in this release. Honestly, I expected better from Firaxis.

The user interface is clumsy to use, unappealing to look at and devoid of flavour... when you have a future tech and science fiction as your inspiration, surely you can come up with something that better fits the theme and atmosphere? Why are some fonts tiny and some inexplicably big? Why is everything a monochrome abstracted icon? When a wonder is only represented by a grey icon that appears similar to the ten laboratories I just built, I'm not exactly feeling a sense of wonder and accomplishment. And the map just looks like a muddy mess with faintly visible miasma punishing you for not squinting enough.

I'm also baffled by how devoid of personality the factions are. I love getting spammed by their canned approval/denounciation of some random thing I did, especially when several espouse the same message, making them blend together even more.

Sad to see see such an uninspired effort carry Sid Meier's name.

All the reviews that said Civ:BE was a skinned Civ5 were completely right. BE by itself is a fun game, but it's definitely not a spiritual successor to AC.

About the trade routes: They are meant to be powerful. It was like that in Civ5 and it's the same here. Granted, the balance of trade routes is that the other guy tends to reap more benefits, but that typically doesn't matter at the higher difficulties because of the advantages the AI gets already. At least the game has better generator (ie. cottage) balance, like Civ5 had with its final expansion set.

Also, launching the energy satellite is pretty unfair. It lasts 60 turns and gives an additional energy on each tile and gives a bonus to a city's energy output. WTF?

So, tried the demo. Good game, but the UI is ugly and inefficient as all get out and I'mma wait for the patch for the resolution fix.

Trade routes could be nerfed a little, but I actually like that they encourage connections. plus if you want to hurt someone bad before invading, you can blockade their trade routes. I love that.

Top Bottom