• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization: Beyond Earth |OT| - The Future of Mankind

This game has something that I think is both a success and a failure,

Playing it for the first time, having gone through a media and info blackout, exploring the world for the first time feels surprising in its own right. Things feel vaguely familiar, yet unknown. Discovering the difference between this and CivV along the world is a success, But at the same time, I feel somehow lost. The game does a very poor job at explaining any backstory, or even giving the sense that you're advancing through the years. Missions give this storytelling background, to some extent, but it's not enough to substitute all the lore and knowledge and understanding we have about our own history. So, even though growing follows old civ style of emergent gameplay, I feel the mission system falls short to fill the history element.

I know what you mean. There's a surprising lack of feedback or something. I had that same "lost" feeling even though I know what I'm doing.

It just doesn't feel as tight as Civ 5 to me. Still having fun though.

vpance

I'll calling it. Amplitude has now overtaken Firaxis for the 4X crown. It's been downhill since Civ IV.

Does Sid even go into the office these days, or does he just sit at home lighting cigars with $100 bills?

Civ IV was pretty much Soren Johnson's doing, so I'm not surprised what happened after he left. He's working on a new game at his own company now though.

I beat my first game with the contact victory and somehow managed not to get in a single fight with anyone in the game (aliens included). Mercury difficulty seems way too easy to be "normal", I always had a tougher time with the regular difficulty in Civ V.

robotrock

Banned
game on ultra runs way worse than maxed out civ 5 for me. is it because of the water setting? should i turn it to high? high only changes water.

Violet_0

Banned
just played a multiplayer game

Purity > Harmony (ranged units can be upgraded with +1 range, also hover tanks and terraforming rules)

spies are really good now, stealing technology is a lot easier and faster

we lost the game when an ai built the flower, then I destroyed the flower, only for the ai to rebuild it in the fog of war and ending the game one turn before I discovered it (the countdown doesn't reset after rebuilding, which I didn't know) - quite an anitclimactic ending

just played a multiplayer game

Purity > Harmony (ranged units can be upgraded with +1 range, also hover tanks and terraforming rules)

spies are really good now, stealing technology is a lot easier and faster

we lost the game when an ai built the flower, then I destroyed the flower, only for the ai to rebuild it in the fog of war and ending the game one turn before I discovered it (the countdown doesn't reset after rebuilding, which I didn't know) - quite an anitclimactic ending
Wait hmmm. IIRC one of the unique Purity units is a LEV Tank that has 2 range and levitates. So Purity can get 3 ranged flying units? Am I reading that right? (Flying in the sense that they can move over all terrain with no movement penalties, not sure how sight works for levitating units.)

If so that sounds pretty cool, will definitely want to play around with that when I get home :)

Violet_0

Banned
Wait hmmm. IIRC one of the unique Purity units is a LEV Tank that has 2 range and levitates. So Purity can get 3 ranged flying units? Am I reading that right? (Flying in the sense that they can move over all terrain with no movement penalties, not sure how sight works for levitating units.)

If so that sounds pretty cool, will definitely want to play around with that when I get home :)

http://well-of-souls.com/civ/civbe_overview.html

Devastator (Siege Level 4)
Move: 2; Strength: 14; Ranged Strength:;Range: 2
Requires: Purity level 14
Abilities: Anti-Orbital Strike, Must Set Up to Range Attack, May Not Melee Attack, +60% vs. Cities, all terrain costs 1 Movement (Levitates over land and sea terrain)
Upgrade Perk: Attack over terrain obstacles, OR +1 Range when unit has not moved

Warden (Purity Ranged Infantry Level 4)

Movement: 2; Strength: 18; Ranged Strength: 66; Range: 2
Requires: Physics, Purity level 12
Upgrade Perk: Attack over terrain obstacles, OR +1 Range when unit has not moved

LEV Destroyer

Move: 2; Strength: 50 (70); Ranged Strength: 84 (112); Range: 2; Cost: 380 production; Requires Resource: 7 Floatstone
Requires: Tactical LEV, Purity level 12
True LEV Destroyer (Purity 18): +20 Strength, +28 Ranged Strength, +30% when attacking, 10 HP splash damage to enemy units next to target; Perk: +1 Range when unit has full health, OR +15 HP splash damage to enemy units next to target
Evolved LEV Destroyer (Purity 16, Harmony 5): ?
Prime LEV Destroyer (Purity 16, Supremacy 5): ?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'll calling it. Amplitude has now overtaken Firaxis for the 4X crown. It's been downhill since Civ IV.

Does Sid even go into the office these days, or does he just sit at home lighting cigars with $100 bills?

Amplitude has been making some great games I admit, but Civ 5 is still better than anything from Amplitude yet IMHO. One of Amplitude's biggest negatives is the combat in their games, they really need to work on that aspect. A lot. Until they fix that they can not surpass Firaxis for me.

They have done well though, I agree.

Oh and Civ 5 with both expansions is a better Civ game than Civ IV. I've finally had to admit that to myself. And it wasn't easy...

http://well-of-souls.com/civ/civbe_overview.html

Move: 2; Strength: 14; Ranged Strength:;Range: 2
Requires: Purity level 14
Abilities: Anti-Orbital Strike, Must Set Up to Range Attack, May Not Melee Attack, +60% vs. Cities, all terrain costs 1 Movement (Levitates over land and sea terrain)

Warden (Purity Ranged Infantry Level 4)

Movement: 2; Strength: 18; Ranged Strength: 66; Range: 2
Requires: Physics, Purity level 12

LEV Destroyer

Move: 2; Strength: 50 (70); Ranged Strength: 84 (112); Range: 2; Cost: 380 production; Requires Resource: 7 Floatstone
Requires: Tactical LEV, Purity level 12
True LEV Destroyer (Purity 18): +20 Strength, +28 Ranged Strength, +30% when attacking, 10 HP splash damage to enemy units next to target; Perk: +1 Range when unit has full health, OR +15 HP splash damage to enemy units next to target
Evolved LEV Destroyer (Purity 16, Harmony 5): ?
Prime LEV Destroyer (Purity 16, Supremacy 5): ?
Ah, thanks Violet_0 :) the LEV Destroyer upgrades seem to be an interesting choice, either being able to siege outposts better or cleaning up masses of units faster.

eznark

Banned
How the fuck do you release a game in 2014 that doesn't have 1920x1080 resoluton?????

Is it like an AMD exclusive or some bullshit?

Tukker

Trying to live in harmony with the aliens but they have their damn nest next to explorer sites and great settling spots! It's time to train some millitary I think :p.

Uthred

When the AI offers a deal and then refuses when you accept it unchanged it feels like theyre just being weirdly passive agressive

CzarTim

Played my first full game yesterday. Ended after about 400 turns. Loved every second of it. In the beginning I was a bit unsure of some of the changes, but by the end-game I was a true-believer. Lots of great streamlining and refinement of Civ V's ideas.

Strider

Trying to live in harmony with the aliens but they have their damn nest next to explorer sites and great settling spots! It's time to train some millitary I think :p.

Same. And the asshole still came in my city and killed my worker :(

Aa9NepG.jpg

Just killed my second Siege Worm; feeling like a god. I'm doing it with a handicap, though, since they're the only aliens that have wandered anywhere near my cities :p

Still. Feels good.

Played my first full game yesterday. Ended after about 400 turns. Loved every second of it. In the beginning I was a bit unsure of some of the changes, but by the end-game I was a true-believer. Lots of great streamlining and refinement of Civ V's ideas.

I really encourage people who have some issues with the flavor of the game to give a playthrough towards the middle and the end. In Civ5, everyone starts out different and eventually becomes the same. In BE, everyone starts out the same and gets different near the end of the game.

sueil

I don't think this game is very good. The three different factions was a good idea but I don't think it was executed very well. The way you build up points in the affinity being tied to such huge advantages is really unsatisfying to play. Getting arbitrary points is more important than what the techs themselves actually do. I have no need of this tech that doesn't play into my strategy at all but I can get a bunch of affinity points out of for only 6 turns of research then of course I will get that. The tech web would be a better system without those barriers.

The UI is a massive clusterfuck on pretty much every level. The hex based gameplay with one unit per tile is still just as bad an idea as it was in Civ 5. It doesn't create interesting combat because you still just pile the biggest amount of numbers you can into the other guy. The world is completely bland and lifeless. It looks like the civlopedia has a bunch of interesting lore in it but none of that is found in the main game itself. The tech quotes are boring rather than funny / insightful / classical stuff from past games.

With only 8 leaders you would think they would have been able to put a lot of effort into making them come alive but they are just as lifeless as everyone in civ 5. You could drop any of the civ 5 leaders in here and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. The leaders have just a few generic canned responses and not all of them are even voice acted. Diplomacy is completely useless and just as bad as civ 5. I had a leader offer me a deal I tried to make a counter offer. They refused so I went back to accept the their own original offer and they said it was an unfair offer and they wouldn't accept. The alien's are hardly ever a threat and don't try to put any real effort on you either. There is a lot more I could list.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Picked it up, been playing the last hour or so. Liking it so far.

Really love the new tech tree.

EDIT: And wiped out in 250 turns lol :(

CzarTim

I really encourage people who have some issues with the flavor of the game to give a playthrough towards the middle and the end. In Civ5, everyone starts out different and eventually becomes the same. In BE, everyone starts out the same and gets different near the end of the game.

Absolutely agree. Also love that they change the portraits of the AI based on their Affinity.

Strider

I love this game. but when you make the aliens friendly (blue) and then accidentally destory an alien nest... :( feels bad man.

wrongway

So here's a dumb question... What's the story with automatic citizen management (ie, setting a city's priority for food, production, science, etc)? On the city menu, there's a section that says "FOCUS: None" but I can't see a way to actually set that focus.

CzarTim

So here's a dumb question... What's the story with automatic citizen management (ie, setting a city's priority for food, production, science, etc)? On the city menu, there's a section that says "FOCUS: None" but I can't see a way to actually set that focus.

Click the icon for production / science / whatever directly under that.

The UI is a massive clusterfuck on pretty much every level.

Yes.

With only 8 leaders you would think they would have been able to put a lot of effort into making them come alive but they are just as lifeless as everyone in civ 5.

I don't think AI Civ's really fit in this game to begin with. Seems odd with the theme, and only serves to make it feel even more like Civ V with a terrain skin. I would have much preferred if you pick your civilization and then solo planet fall and try to survive on your own. There could be other factions I guess, but make them all alien, and tougher, and they don't spam cities or have 'culture'. Not sure how that would work with multiplayer, but who plays Civ for multiplayer? ;-)

Facism

is there anywhere in the game where i can see demographics/cities organised in a list by output/food/science etc like in CIV 5? Game seems to be lacking a lot of basic information stuff that should have been a guarantee to be there.

CzarTim

is there anywhere in the game where i can see demographics/cities organised in a list by output/food/science etc like in CIV 5? Game seems to be lacking a lot of basic information stuff that should have been a guarantee to be there.

Hit the plus sign to the left of the icons on the bottom right and click Economic Overview.

Alchemy

Is there no way to play in windowed mode, or am I just not seeing it?

Video Options >> Uncheck 'Fullscreen' under Anti-Aliasing.

I'm trying to work out a Transcendence win, but it just feels so slow. I got a Contact win on my first go, seems like a really easy win condition.

Violet_0

Banned
I just got double-crossed by two AI at the same time on a higher difficulty. Effectively ended the game for me. I can fight one huge army, but not two of them!

Anyone figure out a way to play the game on dual monitors with the game fullscreen on 1 monitor and have the second monitor not black out? I tried fullscreen with the game and the second monitor becomes completely unresponsive. I also tried a borderless window mod and it makes all the hotspots for the menus off center.

eznark

Banned
Anyone figure out a way to play the game on dual monitors with the game fullscreen on 1 monitor and have the second monitor not black out? I tried fullscreen with the game and the second monitor becomes completely unresponsive. I also tried a borderless window mod and it makes all the hotspots for the menus off center.

Pretty sure Firaxis optimized this game for 17 inch CRT's.

ST2K

I miss unique buildings/units. Gave the civilizations themselves more of a sense of difference. As of now, it feels like all the civs kind of become one of three towards the end game.

gribbles

Banned
How the fuck do you release a game in 2014 that doesn't have 1920x1080 resoluton?????

Is it like an AMD exclusive or some bullshit?

Are you running latest drivers? I only have a GTX 670 and I'm running the game at 1920x1080 119hz at Ultra settings, no problems.

Labrys

Is this available over Family Sharing? My friend bought it and said I could play it when he wasn't but it's not showing up under his games.
Nevermind, just resetting Steam seemed to solve the problem.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Am I an idiot? How do I set up a trade route?

Shepard

Played the demo, was getting 60 fps constantly. Bought the full game, can't even hit 30 fps on low and I get massive screen tearing even with vsync on, wtf.

Top Bottom